Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Related question. Can anyone relay to me a vision for what Afghanistan is supposed to look like when we finally pull out?

Perpetual war between Kabul and the Taliban is I think Washington's ideal scenario at this point and has been for years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Related question. Can anyone relay to me a vision for what Afghanistan is supposed to look like when we finally pull out?
I don't think anyone has bought Paul Wolfowitz an account yet, but I would love to see him asked this question.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

or at this point end it as quickly as possible... Can anyone relay to me a vision for what Afghanistan is supposed to look like when we finally pull out?

We've been at war in Afghanistan for half my life. Its been an insane amount of time.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Sharkie posted:

Oh please, don't try to fishmech here, or pretend you don't know how language works. Care to walk back your implication that the military only had 30 minutes to process the information that it was a hospital?
So you're using some esoteric personal definition of "broadcast" then?

Why would I? You haven't provided any evidence to demonstrate that MSF's own web page is wrong.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

A softly glowing crater.

But since this isn't a perfect world it'll probably look exactly the same as when we went in, except the insurgents will be armed with American weapons captured from government troops instead of Russian weapons captured from government troops.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

RaySmuckles posted:

We've been at war in Afghanistan for half my life. Its been an insane amount of time.

I'm looking forward to when my two year old nephew is ten or eleven and I can tell him stories about when we weren't perpetually at war in Afghanistan.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Stereotype posted:

"Overworked, underpaid 20 year old thousands of miles from home in war a torn country sentenced to life in jail for fifteen murders because he was lazy with checking coordinates in the middle of the night"

We shouldn't hold people who have other peoples lives in their hands to a standard, because it's rough for are boys sitting in an air conditioned TOC all day.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Probably the best post in pages.

Is emptyquoting allowed? I'm assuming not. :v:

The only real solution to the military loving up and occasionally killing innocents is to not go to war in the first loving place or at this point end it as quickly as possible. They can jail some idiot NCO and rework the process but it'll happen again.

Supposed to? A glorious, successful, democratic country for some people would be a success to some people. An country with eternal war, maybe, for others.

The first definition of success is probably impossible at this point. I don't even know how we can extricate ourselves well at this point. We can pack up and just say gently caress All Y'all but yeah it's gonna be a shitshow.

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.

Mavric posted:

Nope. Much like we have so many levels of bureaucracy that a huge financial meltdown based on widespread fraud can result in zero charges, as long as there are enough people between the bomb and the go ahead it turns out no one is at fault!

Look, they made mistakes—oops, “well-intentioned judgments which, with the benefit of hindsight, might regrettably have been, in some respects, in error”—but these mostly occurred, it appeared, while correcting “fundamental systemic errors.” No one was sorry for anything, because no living creature had done anything wrong; bad things had happened by spontaneous generation in some weird, chilly, geometrical otherworld, and “were to be regretted.”

Now I miss Terry Pratchett again, you bastard. :smith:

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
You can bash the war as much as you want but at least we got Bin Laden.

In Pakistan

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

If you can come up with a good answer to that question, there's a really nice job lined up for you at the Pentagon. There's been a lot of rhetoric about "nation-building" in Afghanistan and preventing the country from becoming a bastion for terrorism, but how these goals are supposed to be accomplished has changed between administrations, departments, and even individual reports.

The closest thing to consensus is that Afghanistan should probably be democratic, as functioning democratic institutions seem to be the best at delegitimizing insurgencies.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Pregnant with the ideals and values of Democracy and American Freedom.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Everyone should be happy, they've found someone to throw under the bus!

quote:

The American commander in Afghanistan now thinks that United States troops who called in an airstrike that decimated a Doctors Without Borders hospital probably did not follow rules that allow for the use of air power only in dire situations, according to American officials with knowledge of the general’s thinking.

Under those rules, airstrikes can be used to kill terrorist suspects, to protect American troops and to answer requests for help from the Afghan Army in battles that could significantly alter the military landscape in Afghanistan — such as the recent Taliban takeover of Kunduz — but not necessarily smaller firefights. The idea behind the rules of engagement was to give American troops leeway but not see them dragged back into daily, open-ended combat.

In private discussions with officials in Washington, Gen. John F. Campbell, the commander, has expressed his belief that the decision by Special Operations Forces operating “in the vicinity” of the Afghan troops in Kunduz likely did not meet any of those criteria, according to the officials, who spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the matter.

(http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/07/world/middleeast/doctors-without-borders-airstrike-kunduz.html?_r=0)

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Wales Grey posted:

Pregnant with the ideals and values of Democracy and American Freedom.

But only the american ideals and values which don't involve bombing civilians thousands of miles away from your borders. So, pregnant with a specific subset of the ideals and values of Democracy and American Freedom.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Dead Reckoning posted:

So you're using some esoteric personal definition of "broadcast" then?

Why would I? You haven't provided any evidence to demonstrate that MSF's own web page is wrong.

Okay I'll indulge your pedantry:

quote:

verb (used with object), broadcast or broadcasted, broadcasting.
to transmit (programs) from a radio or television station.
to speak, perform, sponsor, or present on a radio or television program:
The president will broadcast his message on all stations tonight.
to cast or scatter abroad over an area, as seed in sowing.
to spread widely; disseminate:
She broadcast the good news all over town.

to indicate unwittingly to another (one's next action); telegraph:

quote:

broadcast
verb

: to send out (signals, programs, etc.) by radio or television

: to tell (something that is private or secret) to many people

: to throw (something, such as seeds) across a wide area of the ground

"If you tell her anything about your personal life she'll broadcast it to everyone in the office."

Also, show me where I said MSF's webpage was wrong. The fact the location of the hospital had been made known for months, not minutes, as you implied with your selective quoting.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Sharkie posted:

Also, show me where I said MSF's webpage was wrong. The fact the location of the hospital had been made known for months, not minutes, as you implied with your selective quoting.

There's a difference between someone, somewhere knowing that there was a hospital in the area and the aircrew specifically knowing that the target they were shooting at was a hospital.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Acebuckeye13 posted:

There's a difference between someone, somewhere knowing that there was a hospital in the area and the aircrew specifically knowing that the target they were shooting at was a hospital.

if providing the military with a dated list of coordinates labeled DO NOT BOMB isn't sufficient to prevent the military from bombing you then i can only conclude that incompetence or apathy are the cause

i mean it's not like we've been pissing blood and money fruitlessly down the drain in afghanistan since the soldiers currently fighting there were in elementary school or anything but i'd hope that after 14 years they might manage to get at least one thing right

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I don't see what all the fuss is about. This reminds me of all the hoopla about the "Collateral Murder" video. Sure the Apache pilots murdered a whole bunch of completely innocent people, including children; but, that was a group of military aged males walking around together in a war zone! What did they think would happen!? And then you drive a van up to try to "rescue the victims?" Those people were stupid. Now they're dead, and that's kinda sad, but also totally ok cuz war is hell. These things happen.

What was MSF doing in a war zone anyway? Don't they know its dangerous? Don't they know literally anything goes?

edit: also "D&D debates whether bombing a hospital is a war crime" is a pretty interesting read. Just the idea that they could have been shooting at the right kind of Afghans legitimizes the whole enterprise.

RaySmuckles fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Oct 7, 2015

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Trabisnikof posted:

Everyone should be happy, they've found someone to throw under the bus!

Okay what the gently caress shouldn't this whole Not Following RoE thing have come out much earlier?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

free of turrists (muslims)

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Four words: World's. Biggest. Tire. Fire.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Oh poo poo! Looks like it's time for part 2 of "we killed somebody" theater. Now instead of talking about how it was lawful and the correct thing to do, we can talk about how even the regulations we have are impossible to comply within the fog of war.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

The only real solution to the military loving up and occasionally killing innocents is to not go to war in the first loving place or at this point end it as quickly as possible. They can jail some idiot NCO and rework the process but it'll happen again.

same as everything that gets pulled out of, completely hosed but with nothing left to make us feel like we have any responsibility to call the next day.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

SedanChair posted:

Oh poo poo! Looks like it's time for part 2 of "we killed somebody" theater. Now instead of talking about how it was lawful and the correct thing to do, we can talk about how even the regulations we have are impossible to comply within the fog of war.

Cue people with obnoxious accents talking about how it isn't fair that the tairists don't follow the Geneva Conventions.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Sharkie posted:

:rolleyes: Right, you meant "broadcasting to anyone who would listen" figuratively and weren't in any way referring to communications on the night in question. Good thing you didn't make Condiv's mistake of using the unambiguous term "radioing" when he claimed the same thing yesterday.

If you're claiming that the U.S. should have stopped bombing earlier because they knew it was a hospital already, I guess that would just be illogical rather than dishonest.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Spaceman Future! posted:

same as everything that gets pulled out of, completely hosed but with nothing left to make us feel like we have any responsibility to call the next day.

:master:

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

In related news...

Nuclear Smugglers Shopped Radioactive Materials To ISIS And Other Terrorists posted:

CHISINAU, Moldova (AP) — In the backwaters of Eastern Europe, authorities working with the FBI have interrupted four attempts in the past five years by gangs with suspected Russian connections that sought to sell radioactive material to Middle Eastern extremists, The Associated Press has learned. The latest known case came in February this year, when a smuggler offered a huge cache of deadly cesium — enough to contaminate several city blocks — and specifically sought a buyer from the Islamic State group.

Criminal organizations, some with ties to the Russian KGB's successor agency, are driving a thriving black market in nuclear materials in the tiny and impoverished country of Moldova, investigators say. The successful busts, however, were undercut by striking shortcomings: Kingpins got away, and those arrested evaded long prison sentences, sometimes quickly returning to nuclear smuggling, AP found.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
The best way to ensure we don't ever hit a bad target is to not go to war, then do the math and try to figure out whether going to war and occasionally killing the wrong people is better than just going "Noooope" and staying out of everything all the time, regardless of how bad poo poo is and how much potential to do good there is. Somewhere in the middle of that is some weirdo area where we maximize good and minimize bad on a razor's edge and you'd basically have to be a supernatural god-figure to find that point.

At least the US has the decency to admit a bad thing happened and we own the call :smith:

Remember when Russia either enabled or literally shot down a civilian airliner full of AIDS researchers, then just made really lovely photoshops to try to claim it wasn't them?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cesium, so, the Russians raided the cancer treatment wing of a recently closed hospital.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Sharkie posted:

You guys are talking past each other.

You're stating broadcast in the sense that they had made their location previously known. We've covered that pages ago and you're not saying anything new and we've moved past that. Dead Reckoning is talking broadcast in a form more common in the military, a wide area comms transmission. When you say they're broadcasting their location it has the implication that they're going out over a radio frequency that the aircraft is monitoring and stating "SOS" over and over, which isn't true.

In any case, General Campbell's latest testimony is certainly more damning for the USAF, however, considering both Democrats and Republicans on the panel seemed to not really be interested does not bode well.

Boon fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Oct 7, 2015

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

mlmp08 posted:

At least the US has the decency to admit a bad thing happened and we own the call :smith:

The Tillman's feel the same way. It is good that the US always admits to and owns its mistakes.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Dead Reckoning posted:

:rolleyes: Right, you meant "broadcasting to anyone who would listen" figuratively and weren't in any way referring to communications on the night in question.

Uh, yeah? Like in the usage cited in dictionaries?

Dead Reckoning posted:

If you're claiming that the U.S. should have stopped bombing earlier because they knew it was a hospital already

Again, the US had the information it was a hospital, unless you think MSF was lying about telling the US that months ago.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

RaySmuckles posted:

The Tillman's feel the same way. It is good that the US always admits to and owns its mistakes.

lol I never said always, I'm not totally stupid.

Sharkie posted:

Again, the US had the information it was a hospital, unless you think MSF was lying about telling the US that months ago.

Hey, I didn't know "the US" was a hivemind with instantaneous thought-communication. Now that I do, I agree that the USA intentionally said "gently caress you, MSF" and decided to blow the gently caress out of their hospital. They probably only stopped when out of fuel or ammo.*

*last part may actually be true.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

mlmp08 posted:

Nah, I hear you. This whole incident is just a lot more "US military accidentally attacks organization with more credibility than them, are forced to admit mistake" and a lot less "Military comes forth with admission of responsibility."

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Sharkie posted:

Uh, yeah? Like in the usage cited in dictionaries?

The definition you're using is #4 and the one they're using was #1 in the dictionary quoted, so I wouldn't get so defensive that people thought "broadcasting" meant using a radio.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

RaySmuckles posted:

Nah, I hear you. This whole incident is just a lot more "US military accidentally attacks organization with more credibility than them, are forced to admit mistake" and a lot less "Military comes forth with admission of responsibility."

Oh, sure. If the bad target hit was an equal number of lives, but just random people, they'd have far less leverage and voice to make this a big deal, so even if the US did admit culpability, it would be on the back page of the paper.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

mlmp08 posted:

Hey, I didn't know "the US" was a hivemind with instantaneous thought-communication. Now that I do, I agree that the USA intentionally said "gently caress you, MSF" and decided to blow the gently caress out of their hospital. They probably only stopped when out of fuel or ammo.*

If you're referring to my posts this is the biggest strawman since Ray Bolger.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Also, I just heard the direct quote of both yesterday's report and today's report by General Campbell. There isn't any changing of the story, his statements today further clarified how the call was made.

He did take responsibility for the attack, again, no idea where that goes because Congress apparently doesn't care.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

mlmp08 posted:

yeah, we totes dont have any type of zero delay centralized communication infastructure that shares data instantaneously that can be used as an intermediary between military wings to pass data that has been provided to them between eachother. some sort of... net of communication. Wish it existed.

or were you stating that the military wings are bloated incompetent red tape bureaucratic hellholes that cant share information no matter how convenient the infrastructure to do so is? Because the fact that their internal policing and structure dont allow them to actually share that information does not excuse that it was provided to them SOOOOOOOO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Sharkie posted:

If you're referring to my posts this is the biggest strawman since Ray Bolger.

:ironicat: considering your claim that "the US" knowing about a hospital's location is the same as every US military member knowing where a hospital is.

Spaceman Future! posted:

yeah, we totes dont have any type of zero delay centralized communication infastructure that shares data instantaneously that can be used as an intermediary between military wings to pass data that has been provided to them between eachother. some sort of... net of communication. Wish it existed.

or were you stating that the military wings are bloated incompetent red tape bureaucratic hellholes that cant share information no matter how convenient the infrastructure to do so is? Because the fact that their internal policing and structure dont allow them to actually share that information does not excuse that it was provided to them SOOOOOOOO

Every signalier just felt a disturbance in the force.

• Locked thread