Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Still waiting on those premium streams to actually use my subscription...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Okay, so, the app doesn't autopause if you disconnect headphones or change audio sources. It has a nasty habit of crashing if you leave it paused for too long. It also doesn't remember your place in any audio files if you come back to them later. It regularly fails to load information about archived episodes of things, which results in a loading screen you cannot get the app to close out of, and that lasts until the end of the podcast. It's not a very good app experience, so far. At least it exists, and I can use it, but... gently caress. I'm choosing to pay a subscription fee for this? I have better experiences with cheaper, one-and-done podcast apps.

(I realize that you can play premium streams without the thing, I had a preexisting WTF archives subscription)

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

rotinaj posted:

Okay, so, the app doesn't autopause if you disconnect headphones or change audio sources. It has a nasty habit of crashing if you leave it paused for too long. It also doesn't remember your place in any audio files if you come back to them later. It regularly fails to load information about archived episodes of things, which results in a loading screen you cannot get the app to close out of, and that lasts until the end of the podcast. It's not a very good app experience, so far. At least it exists, and I can use it, but... gently caress. I'm choosing to pay a subscription fee for this? I have better experiences with cheaper, one-and-done podcast apps.

(I realize that you can play premium streams without the thing, I had a preexisting WTF archives subscription)

sounds like a cool app that is also good

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.

mr.capps posted:

I dislike it when this thread shits on Matt, because while I do recognize his faults and they are legitimate, my personality and sense of humor is very similar to his so I feel like you guys are picking on me :smith:

(i am not nearly that debate-y though)

He's really good he's just gotten lazy with the show. If I actually didn't like him I wouldn't complain about it because I wouldn't care.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

cams posted:

Hollywood Handbook continues to be the best podcast.

Nip/Tuck seems super interesting.

Nip/Tuck is hilarious, and season 4 is like the peak of it.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Riptor posted:

sounds like a cool app that is also good

You're a cool app that is also good.

If anyone is on the fence, don't bother yet. Maybe they'll get their poo poo together?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

rotinaj posted:

You're a cool app that is also good.

If anyone is on the fence, don't bother yet. Maybe they'll get their poo poo together?

The funny thing is that apparently they were originally gonna launch Howl months ago

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
gently caress the Howl app. I'll keep the subscription for a bit because some of the originals have been good but I don't know why they decided reinventing the wheel was a good idea. Netflix was also a vendor-neutral distribution company that got into creating its own content, not the other way around; comparing themselves to Netflix as they did in the beginning was a poor comparison. It's not a surprise that many guests and hosts are making GBS threads on the idea and mocking it either during the shows or in the ads.

HH's N/T episode was fantastic; N/T was super entertaining for all the wrong reasons and this episode made me actually enjoy remembering the worst episode of the show.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

GobiasIndustries posted:

comparing themselves to Netflix as they did in the beginning was a poor comparison. It's not a surprise that many guests and hosts are making GBS threads on the idea and mocking it either during the shows or in the ads.
I have to think, if they'd just pitched it as the honest, "look, we need to start monetizing the archives somehow," rather than their asinine "It's easier to find things!" angle, it would have gone down much better. Sure, the app still has horrible teething problems, but they put a bad taste in everyone's mouth right from the beginning.

So, after the howl announcement prompted me to grab the Reality Show Show archives while I still could, I've finally finished running through them, and am back to HH where I left off: the Julie Klausner ep. (A) Their howl pitch (reanimated wolfman jack) was incredible, and (B) what a perfect episode to illustrate how much better the new show is.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

GobiasIndustries posted:

gently caress the Howl app. I'll keep the subscription for a bit because some of the originals have been good but I don't know why they decided reinventing the wheel was a good idea. Netflix was also a vendor-neutral distribution company that got into creating its own content, not the other way around; comparing themselves to Netflix as they did in the beginning was a poor comparison. It's not a surprise that many guests and hosts are making GBS threads on the idea and mocking it either during the shows or in the ads.

The amount of audible disdain the hosts have for it, even when they're not actively making GBS threads on it, is just about my favorite thing.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Power of Pecota posted:

You know Dinklage is actually really handsome

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Good episode of Spontanenation this week, but the Leesa ad was something else. PFT is absolutely in love with his Cher voice.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I'm in love with his Sam Elliot.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

JethroMcB posted:

Good episode of Spontanenation this week, but the Leesa ad was something else. PFT is absolutely in love with his Cher voice.

You can tell by how many times he reminds us that it is definitely Cher!

epic weed mom
Sep 1, 2006

Howl update is mad better than the first howl, by which I mean the poem, by Allen Ginsburg, which was great.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Anyone know if Matt Walsh's 'A Better You' movie with Brian Huskey + a million UCB people is any good? I'll probably buy it this weekend but I was wondering if anyone else has seen it already

http://www.abetteryoumovie.com/

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.
Just listened to the HH where they tear into Aukerman for his Hey Nong Man comedy formula and it's so good

"Brandon Content? Who is Brandon Content?"

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Power of Pecota posted:

I remember watching some of the first season as a kid and it seemed like a relatively grounded, character-driven show with a provocative setting, and then the later seasons involved stuff like a serial raping plastic surgeon with no penis who raped the (male) main character with a strap-on, and tortured people by paralyzing them with anesthesia and conducting plastic surgery while they were awake. I also seem to remember a lot of incest.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
I noticed that Sean is a producer on the new TV show, The Grinder. It's pretty funny. I guess pilot season went better than expected.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Conrad_Birdie posted:

I noticed that Sean is a producer on the new TV show, The Grinder. It's pretty funny. I guess pilot season went better than expected.

I noticed Hayes wrote last week's episode of family guy too.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Besson posted:

Just listened to the HH where they tear into Aukerman for his Hey Nong Man comedy formula and it's so good

"Brandon Content? Who is Brandon Content?"

What episode is that?

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

soggybagel posted:

What episode is that?
Joe Wengert from 2 weeks ago. It's amazing

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
wow it's certified pro user zsinjeh right here in our very forums

incredible

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

please, no papparazzi, i'm trying to just hang out with the little people

e: Also pro-click Joe Wengert moment - his escalation of a scene in I4H
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5MIsc5olPk

Zsinjeh fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Oct 12, 2015

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Periodiko posted:

I remember watching some of the first season as a kid and it seemed like a relatively grounded, character-driven show with a provocative setting, and then the later seasons involved stuff like a serial raping plastic surgeon with no penis who raped the (male) main character with a strap-on, and tortured people by paralyzing them with anesthesia and conducting plastic surgery while they were awake. I also seem to remember a lot of incest.

Like out of the gate there were storylines about Matt stealing wine to anesthetize himself while he followed the steps on "Joey's Self-Circumcision Webpage" and mutilated his dick + an old rival trying to steal Christian's face and transplant it on to himself. You're right about the incest thing, it's all over season 2(?) or whichever the one with Famke Janssen + one storyline in like season 5 where Christian's unknown southern belle kid comes to try and meet him and ends up hooking up with his illegitimate son + the general creepiness of like every central male character having a relationship with Kimber at some point.

There's also stuff later on like Julia getting mercury poisoning from a tainted fruitcake and an eagle ripping apart Rosie O'Donnell's face while she's hang gliding.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:stare:

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
This show sounds amazing

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!
Season 4 is all about a gang of call girls who are organ thieves. It's basically a telenovela.

Sean and Hayes were great. It was like watching Nip/Tuck with my grandmother.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Periodiko posted:

Oh, it wasn't even the latter seasons. It took all of two seasons to introduce The Carver, a mad serial killer who turned out to be Dr. Sean and Dr. Troy's brilliant young protege who also was loving his sister or something? I vaguely remember watching the first four seasons or so in middle school. Also, the main character's son is supposed to be 16 in the first season but CLEARLY looks at least 35. Then he chops off his penis.

I would pay for a Howl Premium Show where Sean and Hayes just do commentary.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

nip/talk with sean and hayes

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Why the hell does Howl want SMS permissions?

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Oh, it wasn't even the latter seasons. It took all of two seasons to introduce The Carver, a mad serial killer who turned out to be Dr. Sean and Dr. Troy's brilliant young protege who also was loving his sister or something? I vaguely remember watching the first four seasons or so in middle school. Also, the main character's son is supposed to be 16 in the first season but CLEARLY looks at least 35. Then he chops off his penis.

His son also goes on to become a Scientologist, run a meth lab, blow up said meth lab, and commit a string of armed robberies dressed as a mime over a span of like, ten episodes.

The absolute funniest scene over the entire show's run imo is when Sean goes to the swingers party with his Hearts and Scalpels co-star* and sets "Big Wheel" as his safeword and when she ignores it he's yelling "BIG WHEEL...BIG...WHEEL" while they're in a room spectating on a guy getting cuckolded.

*Sidenote: Another Hearts and Scalpels co-star is a young Bradley Cooper, who breaks his neck trying to suck his own dick

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Zsinjeh posted:

Joe Wengert from 2 weeks ago. It's amazing

That episode is indeed hilarious. The Sprite fox.

Spraynard Kruger
May 8, 2007

Conrad_Birdie posted:

I watched it tonight and saw Hayes gets a credit at the end as "Consultant". I wonder which Ray Donovan joke he helped punch up.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

cams posted:

nip/talk with sean and hayes

Before Scream Queens, before American Horror Story, before Glee(but after Popular)

there was Nip/Tuck

and it was completely ridiculous

and glorious

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

Shnooks posted:

This show sounds amazing

Mob posted:

and it was completely ridiculous

and glorious

lol

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
hey holly wood hand heads ugh hand bookers uh HH fans

which episode was the one where the intro is the two of them in a restaurant watching an award show on tv and ordering food half the time

i can't find it on the scrippies

Tia

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

Tarranon posted:

hey holly wood hand heads ugh hand bookers uh HH fans

which episode was the one where the intro is the two of them in a restaurant watching an award show on tv and ordering food half the time

i can't find it on the scrippies

Tia
Rifferent Strokes For Different Jokes: Academy Burn Ward Edition
Episode 73 - The Gilmore Guys
8 Minutes 15 seconds
https://soundcloud.com/hollywoodhandbook/the-gilmore-guys-w-demi-adejuyigbe-and-kevin-porter#t=8:15

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Zsinjeh posted:

Rifferent Strokes For Different Jokes: Academy Burn Ward Edition
Episode 73 - The Gilmore Guys
8 Minutes 15 seconds
https://soundcloud.com/hollywoodhandbook/the-gilmore-guys-w-demi-adejuyigbe-and-kevin-porter#t=8:15

I will have...the tabbouleh...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
I normally dont like live episodes because the audience can get annoying and too into it and it changes the dynamic, but the new hollywood handbook is good because the crowd doesnt react at all