Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Mr Funkface posted:

Yes but is it the same as the previous guide? I mean I'm measuring 7.5in on my wrist which says I'm a definite L but the previous band's guide was not a good guide: it also said I was an L but I had to drop down to an M. I'm curious if the current is as inaccurate but the I guess we won't know until the bands are out. Eh, I'll take a punt. Pre-ordering an M!

EDIT: anyone have experience with "Complete"? One accident claim with a $30 deductible adds up to $69 for a one time replacement. Are they cool with any damage or are there onerous stipulations?

I dunno, the last guide was pretty accurate for me. I pre-ordered a large.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

I am really interested to see if next year with the surface book 2 if they release a faster GPU keyboard attachment, if it will be able to be used on the surface book one. Maybe a nice way to upgrade your laptops GPU. they could even get fancy and put in more battery, more storage, etc into the keyboard part. Hell, maybe 3rd parties will do that anyway.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Mr Funkface posted:

Yes but is it the same as the previous guide? I mean I'm measuring 7.5in on my wrist which says I'm a definite L but the previous band's guide was not a good guide: it also said I was an L but I had to drop down to an M. I'm curious if the current is as inaccurate but the I guess we won't know until the bands are out. Eh, I'll take a punt. Pre-ordering an M!

EDIT: anyone have experience with "Complete"? One accident claim with a $30 deductible adds up to $69 for a one time replacement. Are they cool with any damage or are there onerous stipulations?

Buy it from the Microsoft retail stores if you can. They bend over backwards to replace things with no questions asked. Preordered my M size from them this morning.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Uziduke posted:

From Verizon sales.

Zack: Looking through that list, it looks like the device will in fact work with our network based off of the list of bands that you provided to me.

Zack: Yes, we will give you a free SIM card if you needed one of a different size.

Awesome. Guess I'm not so helpless on Verizon after all. If something happens to my Icon, it looks like I'll pick up an unlocked 950xl.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
The agreement with AT&T isn't an exclusive one; other carriers can carry the phone if they want. I presume they would have announced others already if they planned to have it ready at launch, though.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.

Rurutia posted:

This isn't true anymore. All of the unlocked phones recently released works on Verizon.

Awesome, my Verizon buddy will be very happy to hear this.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Apparently W10M rolls out in December only. The usual premature load shooting as usual.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Combat Pretzel posted:

Apparently W10M rolls out in December only. The usual premature load shooting as usual.

I quite don't understand what you mean here. The current build is pretty complete and just needs a few last rounds of bug fixing, unless there's something hideously broken that I'm not aware of?

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

There are several apps you cannot close or exit as they hide the onscreen back/start button. That should probably get fixed.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I quite don't understand what you mean here. The current build is pretty complete and just needs a few last rounds of bug fixing, unless there's something hideously broken that I'm not aware of?

The last Preview build couldn't find any of my contacts or the music files on my SD card and those are the two most important things I use my phone for

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

That Continuum feature ( i think thats what they call turning your phone into a full computer) is really fantastic. In theory a person could us that as their sole computer, and depending on your provider, have unlimited internet access also. Hook that up on Tmobile, get unlimited LTE and your hooked up with a "full" windows 10 computer with unlimited internet that you can put in your pocket.

Use a big screen as your monitor and you can watch Netflix all day through it. If they could get the app store to expand with the universal apps that could be a huge hookup for some people.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

So... The 950 and XL have CDMA radios for voice? AFAIK, WCDMA is not the same thing, so maybe I'm way off base, but I don't see anything in those tech specs that suggest those phones will work on anything other than LTE on Verizon.

Edit: I'm not even sure if a phone will actually work on Verizon sans CDMA yet.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Continuum reminds me a lot of Zune in that it appears to be designed for a world in which it is already ubiquitous. Like, a world where you frequently found you had access to a monitor and mouse/keyboard but not a computer, and there was enough productivity software written as universal apps to make it viable as a work machine in and of itself. In that world, yeah, sign me up.

(I just realized I've basically described phase 2 of a world where everybody has a Surface/docking station and suddenly the whole thing makes sense)

.Tim
Jul 3, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

The issues I have on my 640 are pretty minor bugs and I'd assume pretty easily fixed. 1) Couple times a week the tiles get stuck on "loading" and restarting brings them back. Some live tile notifications don't go away for a few hours and groove won't let me download music, only stream. Otherwise the performance is great and that's on a 640 and I've had very very few app crashes/lock ups. Probably less than I did on 8.x. So I can see this being ready by then.

.Tim
Jul 3, 2004

sleepwalkers posted:

So... The 950 and XL have CDMA radios for voice? AFAIK, WCDMA is not the same thing, so maybe I'm way off base, but I don't see anything in those tech specs that suggest those phones will work on anything other than LTE on Verizon.

Edit: I'm not even sure if a phone will actually work on Verizon sans CDMA yet.

I'm seeing conflicting information which is loving stupid. I don't know why you wouldn't just have every radio in there, just say at the event "works on every carrier" and move on. Everyone is happy.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

badjohny posted:

That Continuum feature ( i think thats what they call turning your phone into a full computer) is really fantastic. In theory a person could us that as their sole computer, and depending on your provider, have unlimited internet access also. Hook that up on Tmobile, get unlimited LTE and your hooked up with a "full" windows 10 computer with unlimited internet that you can put in your pocket.

Use a big screen as your monitor and you can watch Netflix all day through it. If they could get the app store to expand with the universal apps that could be a huge hookup for some people.
Continuum is equivalent to the RT builds, all full screen, no x86 apps... It's sufficient for universal apps (including office and Adobe suite, apparently) and Web browsing, but not generic programs.
As far as I know, anyway.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

ilkhan posted:

Continuum is equivalent to the RT builds, all full screen, no x86 apps... It's sufficient for universal apps (including office and Adobe suite, apparently) and Web browsing, but not generic programs.
As far as I know, anyway.

True, but for many people thats all they need. It has office on it, a web browsers, and the ability to consume media.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

It also seems like a good use-case for third world countries where your smartphone is your only computing device, since a monitor, mouse, and keyboard are probably easier to come by than a desktop computer

Do you need a flagship device to use Continuum, though, or would any phone with USB-C work?

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

.Tim posted:

I'm seeing conflicting information which is loving stupid. I don't know why you wouldn't just have every radio in there, just say at the event "works on every carrier" and move on. Everyone is happy.

Because it makes the phone more expensive to cater to what is, ultimately, a technology only a few carriers worldwide use.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

loquacius posted:

Do you need a flagship device to use Continuum, though, or would any phone with USB-C work?

You need the new phones, because it has an SOC that can power both displays, and has the ram to handle it.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Drastic Actions posted:

You need the new phones, because it has an SOC that can power both displays, and has the ram to handle it.

I was asking specifically in reference to the Lumia 550, because in the kind of third-world country I was talking about that's the kind of phone you might be able to get, but even though it has a quad-core processor I dunno if its RAM is sufficient

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

Drastic Actions posted:

Looks like you don't even need usb-c. You can do it wirelessly also.

http://wmpoweruser.com/see-the-best-demo-of-continuum-for-phones-so-far-video/

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
;nm

wormil fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Oct 8, 2015

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009

loquacius posted:

It also seems like a good use-case for third world countries where your smartphone is your only computing device, since a monitor, mouse, and keyboard are probably easier to come by than a desktop computer

Yes, but what 3rd world country person would pay $500+ for a flagship phone? I could see continuum being useful if it was on a low end ~$100 dollar phone.

I can really only see this being useful for offices that have keyboard monitor setups that you could just plug your phone in and get to work. At the same time, if I'm stuck at the airport or something and need to do a quick edit, the continuum enabled phone doesn't help me but a laptop would.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Continuum and a Surface Book are things I would have loved to have 8 years ago. Being able to take my computer with me, but plug in for more powerful graphics would have been awesome.

Since then, I've:
A) Started using my personal desktop less and less casually, only using turning it on for a few specific things (ripping DVDs, playing games).
B) The rise of THE CLOUD means I can have easy access to all my files without having to take my computer or burn discs or sync flash drives. It's just seamlessly there.

90% of what I do outside of work can be done with just a phone.

Of course, I have a job where I'm tied to a powerful PC in the office as I can't do CAD on my phone (yet!), nor can I just transfer gigabytes of customer's files over cellular data. If I had a job that I could do on the go, I'd see more use for those things.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
What is the point of the Lumia 550 vs the 640?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

c0burn posted:

Edit: never mind. Misread.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

c0burn posted:

I'd assume it's meant to replace the 640 as the "cheap windows 10 phone option", but yeah.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are

CharlesM posted:

The agreement with AT&T isn't an exclusive one; other carriers can carry the phone if they want. I presume they would have announced others already if they planned to have it ready at launch, though.

Thank GOD. I was real :mad: about that for a while until it came out that CNET or whomever hosed up their story.

Anonononomous
Jul 1, 2007

wormil posted:

Is there a way to save/export all the photos from a burst?

Speaking of bursts, did they move the setting? I know I've taken burst shots before, but now I can't find the option.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Maneki Neko posted:

I'd assume it's meant to replace the 640 as the "cheap windows 10 phone option", but yeah.

Doesn't the 550 run with a quad core snapdragon 200 compared to the 400 of the lumia 640? It's a great difference also 4,7" vs 5". I'd say the 635 was the wrong one going out in 2014 with 512mb ram and got replaced by better stuff.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I want a 950xl just to get away from the screen-wigging-out issues of my 1520. :smith:

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Hmmm, apparently 5999/6999 SEK for the 950/950XL here. I think I can live with that, though it is far from cheap. Now I just need a date.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Windows Phone - Now I just need a date

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.

Uthor posted:

Windows Phone - Now I just need a date

Q2 2016

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.
Last I heard it's still November, though them having the phones now in MS stores to demo is encouraging. They also have the Band 2 as well as the new Surfaces in-store as demo units. The Band 2 is definitely a better fit now, and you can drop a name and preorder without any money changing hands.

OldPueblo fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Oct 8, 2015

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

OldPueblo posted:

Last I heard it's still November, though them having the phones now in MS stores to demo is encouraging. They also have the Band 2 as well as the new Surfaces in-store as demo units. The Band 2 is definitely a better fit now, and you can drop a name and preorder without any money changing hands.

SHIIIIIT, looks like it's time for me to swing by a microsoft store!

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009

Maneki Neko posted:

SHIIIIIT, looks like it's time for me to swing by a microsoft store!

Just stopped by my local MS Store. No 950 on display but they had the 950xl.

It is a drat nice feeling phone. Reminded me of the galaxy alpha somewhat. Still seems like the XL will work one handed, barely. Fast as hell with no real resuming screen BS that plagues my 1520.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Zarfol posted:

Just stopped by my local MS Store. No 950 on display but they had the 950xl.

It is a drat nice feeling phone. Reminded me of the galaxy alpha somewhat. Still seems like the XL will work one handed, barely. Fast as hell with no real resuming screen BS that plagues my 1520.

Did you try the hold down windows button thing that lowers the screen for one hand? I'm curious how well that works in real world usage. The keyboard is also supposed to be able to shift to one side for better thumb use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are

OldPueblo posted:

Did you try the hold down windows button thing that lowers the screen for one hand? I'm curious how well that works in real world usage. The keyboard is also supposed to be able to shift to one side for better thumb use.

I was freaked out when I triggered that accidentally after putting Win 10 on my 925. It's ok in practice, though the 925 isn't really big enough to need it often.

Still seems like a dumb crutch to make their stupid hamburger-menu-on-top-of-the-screen fixation less painful.