Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

Southern Heel posted:

Do you mean in addition to the clash pack, or in addition to getting specific spell/creature/etc. cards from a draft/ebay?

In addition to drafting and/or getting specific new cards. The clash pack is a pair of fully formed decks, including enough lands that you can straight up 1v1 them, it's when you decide to go off the reservation and make a new monoblue deck that you'll find yourself short on Islands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anti-Citizen
Oct 24, 2007
As You're Playing Chess, I'm Playing Russian Roulette

Wurzag posted:

The more I think about it I'm really not sure what to play in standard now. I was playing u/b thopter control previously but losing darksteel citadels and instant speed unconditional removal really hurts the deck. There's few artifacts i'd be happy including to make sure the thopter spy networks make thopters, and doing so means I'm replacing useful cards with poo poo artifacts just for the sake of enabling spy network.
I've looked at going esper instead but while the mana base is easily there i'm not really convinced the deck gains anything without scrapping everything and just running esper dragons, which i'm not as keen on.

I"m a fan of Hedron Archive and Pilgrims Eye for the deck. Hitting more lands is probably really important, and the Archive lets you get to sweet sweet Awaken mana. Tragically yeah, no Awakened Citadel to proc Spy Network with.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Anti-Citizen posted:

I"m a fan of Hedron Archive and Pilgrims Eye for the deck. Hitting more lands is probably really important, and the Archive lets you get to sweet sweet Awaken mana. Tragically yeah, no Awakened Citadel to proc Spy Network with.

Yeah. Hedron Archive is pretty loving good. It is the only major ramp available that has no restrictions on payment. I've been fooling around with a 4-color Goggles deck that runs Renowned Weaponsmith and Hedron Archive to ramp into early Goggles + Alhammaret's Archive. Then just ride the value train. Especially when you can crack Archive after Archive to draw 4 with Archive. :v:

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

Anti-Citizen posted:

I did consider these but I'm trying to avoid artifact creatures as they can be easily removed and the mana provided by archive seemed kinda unnecessary considering I'm running so many lands. I even considered alhammaret's archive but it costs 5 mana, doesn't help dig through time, and I would have little use for the boosted lifegain seeing as I didn't have any ways to gain life in the first place.

Think I'm just gonna have to accept that thopter spy network won't be playable anymore.

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy
And why is Brian Demars running 2 Windswept Heath anyway?

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug
:siren: Penguilion Clique :siren:

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Wurzag posted:

I did consider these but I'm trying to avoid artifact creatures as they can be easily removed and the mana provided by archive seemed kinda unnecessary considering I'm running so many lands. I even considered alhammaret's archive but it costs 5 mana, doesn't help dig through time, and I would have little use for the boosted lifegain seeing as I didn't have any ways to gain life in the first place.

Think I'm just gonna have to accept that thopter spy network won't be playable anymore.

Run ghostfire blade. You aren't doing anything with that turn 1 island anyways and having a 3/3 thopter is pretty huge.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

Dohaeris posted:

3 Become Immense

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Thisuck posted:

:siren: Penguilion Clique :siren:

I groaned real hard

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
You know what would be nice. Being able to open a CFB cube draft video with out looking at the comments and seeing nothing but bitching that "Deck X was open. You fuckhead."

I'm watching Sam Pardee's cube at the moment and while there are a couple of picks I disagreed with it's cube; choices are much more scale of quality then Good vs Bad. But here are all these comments bemoaning the fact that Sam could have had an "awesome B/W tokens deck".

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Dohaeris posted:

It fetches Cinder Glade or the single forest. You need a green source for Become Immense and Atarka's Command, he's already running 4x Wooded Foothills, Heath is the only other fetch that can fetch either of the green sources in the deck.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Gridlocked posted:

You know what would be nice. Being able to open a CFB cube draft video with out looking at the comments and seeing nothing but bitching that "Deck X was open. You fuckhead."

I'm watching Sam Pardee's cube at the moment and while there are a couple of picks I disagreed with it's cube; choices are much more scale of quality then Good vs Bad. But here are all these comments bemoaning the fact that Sam could have had an "awesome B/W tokens deck".

Don't read comments of any video ever

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Don't read comments of any video ever

True enough. I think it's just the difference between like Reid or Owen or LSV being ultra big stars with their faces everywhere compared to people like Sam who are actually pretty good players but lower down on the social pole then LSV and Co for whatever reason.

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Oct 7, 2015

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Skyl3lazer posted:

I groaned real hard

You're that penguin on the right side.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Entropic posted:

It fetches Cinder Glade or the single forest. You need a green source for Become Immense and Atarka's Command, he's already running 4x Wooded Foothills, Heath is the only other fetch that can fetch either of the green sources in the deck.

Now explain to me why people are running Sunken Hollows and Prairie Streams in decks that run RUG, and have no converge cards because I'm legitimately confused. Wouldn't you rather just run the extra two islands?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Trade opinion time: would you rather get an expedition flooded strand or a play set of both Khans UW and UB fetches?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Chill la Chill posted:

Trade opinion time: would you rather get an expedition flooded strand or a play set of both Khans UW and UB fetches?

Expedition Flooded Strand. Because I can sell it and buy the fetchlands with an extra ~$30-50.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Chill la Chill posted:

After the fetches rotate, the main audience, standard players, won't care for them. Whereas that Flooded Strand Expedition caters a lot more to multiple audiences. Namely Eternal players and Commander players.

You'll probably move the Expedition faster.

Unless you need those fetches for getting into eternal than that's the better trade.

It's a matter of perspective.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

Count Bleck posted:

Now explain to me why people are running Sunken Hollows and Prairie Streams in decks that run RUG, and have no converge cards because I'm legitimately confused. Wouldn't you rather just run the extra two islands?
It clicked with me with Mardu the other day, here's how it works:

RUG has the RG land to get the RG dual, but that's all it can get of your 3 colors.

Then, you can run a second set of fetches. In this example, let's say you run 4 Windswept Heath. The Heath's green side can get you the RG dual. But now, the Heath's white side can get your Prairie Stream WU dual. So now even though you don't have any white or converge in your deck, the Windswept Heath is a fixing land for RUG colors.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

If I had an extra batch of those lands to trade then the expedition, if not, then the two playsets, because I'm lazy and selling it realistically wouldn't happen.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Thanks. I'm mostly in it to be one step closer to getting a play set :3:

E: I didn't want to preface which side I was on to keep things balanced but I have like an extra 8 UB and UW fetches just cuz. The new lands are just really pretty. :3:

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Oct 7, 2015

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Boco_T posted:

It clicked with me with Mardu the other day, here's how it works:

RUG has the RG land to get the RG dual, but that's all it can get of your 3 colors.

Then, you can run a second set of fetches. In this example, let's say you run 4 Windswept Heath. The Heath's green side can get you the RG dual. But now, the Heath's white side can get your Prairie Stream WU dual. So now even though you don't have any white or converge in your deck, the Windswept Heath is a fixing land for RUG colors.

Okay that actually makes sense :v:

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Count Bleck posted:

After the fetches rotate, the main audience, standard players, won't care for them. Whereas that Flooded Strand Expedition caters a lot more to multiple audiences. Namely Eternal players and Commander players.

You'll probably move the Expedition faster.

Unless you need those fetches for getting into eternal than that's the better trade.

It's a matter of perspective.

Not true - when Zen fetches rotated, they lost maybe a dollar each, and this was before Modern existed.

If your goals are playsets of cards to enable you to play more wizard poker, the playsets are a good pickup, because they will only go up in price and while IDK the exact value of the strand at the moment if it's an even dollar trade it isn't a bad idea.

If your goal is maintaining value, the Strand will slowly creep up in price over time, whereas the fetches will do that until they get printed into oblivion again. The fetches may increase in price collectively over the Strand at certain points, but if you're looking for super longterm holds then the Strand is a better idea.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Any of you goons considering going to GP Atlanta next month? It's limited.

anglachel
May 28, 2012

GreyPowerVan posted:

Any of you goons considering going to GP Atlanta next month? It's limited.

I am. People are really bad at sealed, so I like my chances to make day 2.But I'm more thinking I should just try for a GP trial on Friday, and i don't get the 4/0 and 2 byes just take that as a sign that it was not meant to be. That way I'm only spending 30 bucks instead of 75, and could use the rest of the money for the side events and maybe get a new commander deck that is coming out that weekend (the GP is supposed to be Commander themed due to it falling on the release of the new Commander decks)

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

anglachel posted:

I am. People are really bad at sealed, so I like my chances to make day 2.But I'm more thinking I should just try for a GP trial on Friday, and i don't get the 4/0 and 2 byes just take that as a sign that it was not meant to be.

I'm going as well. We should meet up, since all of my friends are awful at sealed and don't want to go.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I guess that's a spell you can play on that elf, yes.

(Song of the Dryads on Llanowar Elves, since the pic isn't the best)

anglachel
May 28, 2012

GreyPowerVan posted:

I'm going as well. We should meet up, since all of my friends are awful at sealed and don't want to go.

You should remind your friends that there is poo poo tons of stuff to do at a Grand Prix other than play the main event. Looks like it's about a 15 pack payout if you go 4/0 at a side event. And 3 4/0 side events lets you cash out for a "from the vault" (including the one with jace in it).

And they are doing constructed and limited side events.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

anglachel posted:

You should remind your friends that there is poo poo tons of stuff to do at a Grand Prix other than play the main event. Looks like it's about a 15 pack payout if you go 4/0 at a side event. And 3 4/0 side events lets you cash out for a "from the vault" (including the one with jace in it).

And they are doing constructed and limited side events.

I've been telling them that already :(

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

odiv posted:

I guess that's a spell you can play on that elf, yes.

(Song of the Dryads on Llanowar Elves, since the pic isn't the best)

Good luck attacking with your forest, idiot!

anglachel
May 28, 2012

GreyPowerVan posted:

I've been telling them that already :(

http://gpatlanta.starcitygames.com/schedule.php

20 Dollar sealed side events along with a guaranteed 25 pack of full arts lands sounds pretty cool.

The prize wall is okay I guess. The buy in for constructed events has me kinda cold, 10 bucks at the cheapest.

http://gpatlanta.starcitygames.com/prize-wall.php

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Are the people playing cube drafts recently much worse than they used to be? I haven't played MTGO in a while, and yesterday I figured I'd burn some points cube drafting. I've had three 3-0 wins and it hasn't really been close - I've been wheeling what I want, good cards have been coming very late, and my opponents' decks just look like trainwrecks, and they've made multiple visible mistakes such as turning the untapped land they just played into a 4/4 with Nissa three times in the same game, or stealing my Doomed Necromancer with Act of Aggression, playing a Caves of Koilos (with a Wurmcoil Engine in their graveyard) and then....attacking me for 2 with it.

Either way I'm happy because I've had three fun decks and I got to play a lot with them. This was my favorite:

This deck was fun as heck and if I could just play this deck in all future drafts I'd be pretty happy (cutting Whip, Guide and Affliction).

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Cube is really a crapshoot, lots of people suck at it and it sounds like you got into some weak drafts.

anglachel posted:

http://gpatlanta.starcitygames.com/schedule.php

20 Dollar sealed side events along with a guaranteed 25 pack of full arts lands sounds pretty cool.

The prize wall is okay I guess. The buy in for constructed events has me kinda cold, 10 bucks at the cheapest.

http://gpatlanta.starcitygames.com/prize-wall.php

I don't play constructed, so that doesn't bother me. $20 sealed events sounds amazing to me, though.

edit: well, i would play constructed if i had a deck :v:

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Oct 7, 2015

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

Hellsau posted:

Are the people playing cube drafts recently much worse than they used to be? I haven't played MTGO in a while, and yesterday I figured I'd burn some points cube drafting. I've had three 3-0 wins and it hasn't really been close - I've been wheeling what I want, good cards have been coming very late, and my opponents' decks just look like trainwrecks, and they've made multiple visible mistakes such as turning the untapped land they just played into a 4/4 with Nissa three times in the same game, or stealing my Doomed Necromancer with Act of Aggression, playing a Caves of Koilos (with a Wurmcoil Engine in their graveyard) and then....attacking me for 2 with it.

Either way I'm happy because I've had three fun decks and I got to play a lot with them. This was my favorite:

This deck was fun as heck and if I could just play this deck in all future drafts I'd be pretty happy (cutting Whip, Guide and Affliction).

If you're doing Swiss, which is the easiest to infinite (2-1 is pretty easy to do), means the playerbase seems to be more casual.

I was playing a R/W burn deck against a sick green ramp deck. He played a Lightning Greaves and slapped it on a Managorger Wurm and it was a 12/12. He then burns his Garruk to draw a ton, casts Eureka and plays a Kozilek. Instead of slapping the Graves on his Kozi, he decides to pass the turn.

I burn him down to 1 and pass the turn, which he finally attacks but can't get in for lethal and I end up top decking one of my 8 or 9 other burn spells to kill him. If he had attacked with Kozi on that first turn, the Annihilator would have ended me ... and even if not then, the second attack would have.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Count Bleck posted:

You can use off-color fetchs and slowlands to be able to fetch all your colors more easily.

For example, look at this Abzan mana base:

quote:

3 Forest
1 Plains
1 Swamp
2 Canopy Vista
4 Flooded Strand
2 Llanowar Wastes
2 Polluted Delta
1 Prairie Stream
1 Smoldering Marsh
1 Sunken Hollow
4 Windswept Heath
4 Wooded Foothills

You don't really care about blue (though you might if you're running Woodland Wanderer or something)
But Flooded Strand can fetch Plains or Canopy Vista, in that regard it's extra copies of Windswept Heath. But it can also fetch Sunken Hollow to get you a black source.
Unlike Windswepth Heath, Flooded Strand can actually fetch all three of your main Abzan colors with this mana base.
Likewise, Wooded Foothills can fetch Canopy Vista or Smoldering Marsh to get you W, G or B.

Mana bases are going to be complicated this Standard.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
So I just found out I'm 4th pick on the Vintage Rotisserie Draft, which is a no-mans land. Pick 1-3 usually goes Lotus, Ancestral, Mox Sapphire, so I think I will be going Jet for first pick, Dark Ritual second and then some tutors.

Whomever said that combo pieces is a good call. I can snag those later, but will probably go Dark Depths to get Thespian's Stage / Hexmage.

anglachel
May 28, 2012

GreyPowerVan posted:

Cube is really a crapshoot, lots of people suck at it and it sounds like you got into some weak drafts.

I don't play constructed, so that doesn't bother me. $20 sealed events sounds amazing to me, though.

edit: well, i would play constructed if i had a deck :v:

Looks like they are only doing 1 20 buck sealed event at noon Friday, and then another one for people who dropped the main event.

Ranpire
Nov 6, 2012

En Fuego posted:

So I just found out I'm 4th pick on the Vintage Rotisserie Draft, which is a no-mans land. Pick 1-3 usually goes Lotus, Ancestral, Mox Sapphire, so I think I will be going Jet for first pick, Dark Ritual second and then some tutors.

Whomever said that combo pieces is a good call. I can snag those later, but will probably go Dark Depths to get Thespian's Stage / Hexmage.

Good luck! Here's some pick order stats from the group that used to do Vintage Rotisserie a lot, though they may not be as helpful as looking up some actual spreadsheets. Trying to settle into a mostly open archetype and figuring out what cards you're in competition for is usually very important - for example, if no one else has their heart set on combo, Dark Ritual might not be fought over for second pick status. Often there's still some of the broken artifact mana coming back, and Demonic/Vampiric Tutor and the premium 1 mana discard spells go fast since both fair and unfair decks want them.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

En Fuego posted:

If you're doing Swiss, which is the easiest to infinite (2-1 is pretty easy to do), means the playerbase seems to be more casual.

I just did all single elimination since it looked like the prize payout was better and if I draft a trainwreck I don't want to have to keep playing it to get full value. It worked out.

I kind of enjoyed MTGO. I had no crashes, no game ending bugs, I had no lag where I have to wait a second or two after clicking and pray it isn't just sitting there waiting for me to click again to get me. I mean yeah the collection interface was horrendous and I don't know why I can't sort my saved draft decklists into one folder so that my Freeform folder of decklists is bloated to infinity, and I didn't need to try to trade, and hell maybe some of the cards I didn't play also had the side effect of making me instantly lose the game but for these short two days I enjoyed playing Magic Online for the first time since v4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

Ranpire posted:

Good luck! Here's some pick order stats from the group that used to do Vintage Rotisserie a lot, though they may not be as helpful as looking up some actual spreadsheets. Trying to settle into a mostly open archetype and figuring out what cards you're in competition for is usually very important - for example, if no one else has their heart set on combo, Dark Ritual might not be fought over for second pick status. Often there's still some of the broken artifact mana coming back, and Demonic/Vampiric Tutor and the premium 1 mana discard spells go fast since both fair and unfair decks want them.

Yeah, these are the guys I am doing it with (on Saturday). I have done it with them before, where I was hoping for R/U delver and was kicked out of that earlier and went Dead Guy.

• Locked thread