Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Dammit, why the hell are temples not being transferred when I try to grant large titles to people.

You can fix it when you're keeping them as vassals, but when you're giving away an independent kingdom to a relative there's no good fix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Yo Groogy. I used the event for telling your heir war-stories on myself to get the mercenary traditions modifier but I'm still not able to send away my sons as mercs. Asking you since you wrote them.

Huh should work. What trigger do they fail?

Also, Nahuatl Nomads do not play well with the game. No graphics for their horses, can't click counties.

WAT? How did you manage that?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Ruler designer, maybe?

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Yo Groogy. I used the event for telling your heir war-stories on myself to get the mercenary traditions modifier but I'm still not able to send away my sons as mercs. Asking you since you wrote them.

Also, Nahuatl Nomads do not play well with the game. No graphics for their horses, can't click counties.

It's not just the Nahuatl Nomads, it happens to me sporadically. Save and exit and restart and you should be able to click on counties again.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
Are you on Linux maybe? I know that the GNOME 3 desktop can mess up the input and I just alt-tab in and out of the game to fix it. But never heard of the ponies disappearing. Running out of VRAM or bad drivers perhaps?

Groogy fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Oct 7, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

That is weird, I thought you inherit a courtier's gold if they die with no living relatives? In an interesting event, the two children of that guy who lead and adventuring party against me not only ended up in my court, but one of them has a shitton of gold (~450). No idea where that came from, guess he got it from daddy, who got it from the same place he got almost 2000 glory seekers from (thin air).

I murdered the younger son first, then the older one, but the money just vanished. :( I wasn't implicated in either of their deaths, so what gives?

I really need money. I made the mistake of expanding aggresively and now I'm badly over my demense limit and my shits grinding to a halt. And the two temple vassals I picked up along the line are voting for my shittastic nephew instead of my newborn heir.

I need like 150 gold to form a Duchy title so I can actually give land out without losing it and make progress. I've got like 10 or so gold and make less rougly 5 a year. What is a 769 Viking to do for cash before he can go raiding? It'll take another 15+ years to "get boats" based on what I read, I'd rather not sit there and twiddle my thumbs waiting for that while watching the other powers (who have Jarl titles) blob up and hoping one of them decides to burn their freebie subjugation on flattening me.

Not sure whether to reload to shortly after I murdered that rear end in a top hat and expand more cautiously or just ride it out (maybe murder my nephew).

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Oct 7, 2015

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I'm pretty sure you're allowed to banish adventurers without incurring tyranny, upon which you'll seize their money.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
The horrifying things this game encourages occasionally depress me. In my current Northumbria game, I need a heir with a claim on the Byzantine Empire to start a war in which I can be sure of getting it. I found a princess with an inheritable claim who would do the job. Unfortunately, she was already married, and had a son. Her husband was landless, but would accept an invitation to my court on the grounds that I was able to press his claim to some county in the sticks.

He arrives with his family in tow. I arrange to have him murdered straight away, an action which nearly my entire court got behind. As soon as he's 'ambushed', I betroth his now widow to my four year old grandson, and arrange the murder of her three year old son, an action for which I was able to get 300%+ plot power without any bribes because my court apparently hates toddlers.

He is smothered in his crib, and the stage is set to invade his mother's home as soon as my grandson comes of age.

It is possible that I am a monster. But so is my court, so at least I'm amongst friends.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I had a very similar story ages ago when trying to get one of my own kids to inherit the Byzantine empire. Apparently that title just turns people into monsters.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Aethernet posted:

The horrifying things this game encourages occasionally depress me. In my current Northumbria game, I need a heir with a claim on the Byzantine Empire to start a war in which I can be sure of getting it. I found a princess with an inheritable claim who would do the job. Unfortunately, she was already married, and had a son. Her husband was landless, but would accept an invitation to my court on the grounds that I was able to press his claim to some county in the sticks.

He arrives with his family in tow. I arrange to have him murdered straight away, an action which nearly my entire court got behind. As soon as he's 'ambushed', I betroth his now widow to my four year old grandson, and arrange the murder of her three year old son, an action for which I was able to get 300%+ plot power without any bribes because my court apparently hates toddlers.

He is smothered in his crib, and the stage is set to invade his mother's home as soon as my grandson comes of age.

It is possible that I am a monster. But so is my court, so at least I'm amongst friends.

yeah, this game makes it really obviously that you can be a good person OR you can be a powerful leader. There really is no way to be both. Even if you luck out and power falls into your lap while you're still a good person, you absolutely won't hold onto it without fighting tooth and nail to keep it.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Don't the Aztecs use Pagan graphics for their map icon. I used to think it was hilarious when they'd land in Morocco and immediately get a huge emblem with horsies on it. I guess they were impressed.

Actually speaking of which it kind of bothers me how all the 'sets' of map icons are so different. Like why are Christians little 3D shields but Muslims/Zoroastrians for some reason are flat. And Pagans are like, in between for some reason. Flat with 3D borders that gradually get huger and huger.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Eric the Mauve posted:

I'm pretty sure you're allowed to banish adventurers without incurring tyranny, upon which you'll seize their money.

Sadly their father was the adventurer, these two kids just count as normal courtiers. When I assassinated their father to prevent his host from pushing their poo poo in, I guess they inherited his war chest and moved into my court because I control their former homeland.

I guess I could imprison/banish the one with the cash, but I'm not sure I wanna take such a nasty double-dip of Tyranny. And sadly the Intrigue Focus "Sy On" thing can't be used on kids, so I can't try to kidnap him that way.

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

I must have assassinated at least 20 dukes in my current game to prevent an independence faction from getting enough strength. Now all my dukes are children and have -100 opinion. When they grow up it'll happen again. Maybe I should start stabbing now.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Snak posted:

yeah, this game makes it really obviously that you can be a good person OR you can be a powerful leader. There really is no way to be both. Even if you luck out and power falls into your lap while you're still a good person, you absolutely won't hold onto it without fighting tooth and nail to keep it.
Personal diplomacy and traits make the difference there. Current emperor of Britania inherited with no vassals under 80 approval except one as a just, diligent, genius with ~28 diplomacy and 52 state diplomacy. The lowest vassal was only due to a rivalry that was easily fixed with a little cash. Could have totally kept it up as a benevolent friendly ruler, except with those stats and approval, starting at age 45, the desire to destroy Essex and revoke Middlesex was too great. Even with the tyranny he's still largely beloved, but now slightly less nice.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

cisco privilege posted:

Personal diplomacy and traits make the difference there. Current emperor of Britania inherited with no vassals under 80 approval except one as a just, diligent, genius with ~28 diplomacy and 52 state diplomacy. The lowest vassal was only due to a rivalry that was easily fixed with a little cash. Could have totally kept it up as a benevolent friendly ruler, except with those stats and approval, starting at age 45, the desire to destroy Essex and revoke Middlesex was too great. Even with the tyranny he's still largely beloved, but now slightly less nice.

:agreed: I hold Grand Tournaments/Feasts and go on Pilgrimage ASAP after succession to get my heir enough prestige and opinion bonuses from "virtuous" traits (the ones in the green circles) that my vassals don't really care who's in charge. Having your character educate his heirs directly to ensure they get good traits and using Feudal Elective for the vassal opinion bonuses until you can switch to Primogeniture are also pretty helpful.

I only really bother assassinating lunatic, heretic, or possessed vassals, because they're crazy and unpredictable as gently caress.

McGavin fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Oct 7, 2015

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

McGavin posted:

I only really bother assassinating lunatic, heretic, or possessed vassals, because they're crazy and unpredictable as gently caress.

In my experience there's no need to assassinate lunatic or possessed people; very soon they'll start plotting against random people and can then be thrown into the dungeon and left to rot.

I do occasionally park my Spymaster at home and go on an assassinating spree against all my prisoners, because I like to keep my court size under the 30 limit to avoid the fertility penalty (as I often have adult daughters around married to guys who will eventually inherit something, and while they're at home I'd like them to have kids.)

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Wait, what is this about a fertility penalty based on court size?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Wait, what is this about a fertility penalty based on court size?

Unlanded courtiers only get 2 children at most, and they don't get any more children after a certain court size, which is 50 if I recall correctly.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

There seems to be an exception for your character's kids; I've had my daughters have 3 kids in my court before their husband inherited his title and they skedaddled. There's probably an additional penalty after 2, though.

Or maybe I changed something in defines a long time ago, I can't remember.

It's pretty amusing giving those kids outlandish names before they leave your court, too, since names are sometimes re-used by the AI. Occasionally I've been poking around the character finder and come across Count Skullfucker of some random county in Greece or something and thought, "oh, right, I remember I gave someone that name like 100 years ago."

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

If you have over 30 courtiers and prisoners in your court their fertility declines from an average of two children to an average of one. You can edit this in defines.lua. I don't really think this affects your ruler or his dynasty though.

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!

cisco privilege posted:

Catch them during or immediately after wars when they're weak. Don't let them blob up, except for the almorivids who will be too busy trying to eat themselves to bother you early on. Bring more troops then you think you'll need and crush anyone who tries to join while they're forming if you can. Try and attract siege leader commanders to break down the target provinces as soon as possible. The longer you take the more rulers can join so you want to take as little time as possible. Eventually if you chain enough rapid holy wars none of the participants will be able to field anything.

Also forge good euro alliances for bigger targets, but try not getting too involved in continental wars. You'll still get hosed badly sometimes, but sometimes the allied Muslims will suddenly turn on each other or walk directly into a revolt's path. You'll eventually get jihaded no matter what, but catholic nations will help out unless you're just a real piece of poo poo.

In addition to this:

When you holy war for a title you want to hold yourself for any length of time, if you can be sure to kill everyone who had a claim on that title. Kill the guy you took it from and all of his kids.... and maybe even his siblings if you get the opportunity. You can ignore the women generally though.

The reason for this is that adventurers will be chosen from landless nobles. If they have a claim on a title they will target that title as part of their war!

So if you capture the owner's kids and you're Byzantine, go get your scissors and don't ransom the kids. (Eunichs can't inherit and I'm pretty sure don't get claims.)

TheCIASentMe fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Oct 7, 2015

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005
How do I convert to Judaism? I don't have any Jews in my court, so I can't educate my kids into it, and if I try to send them off to another court that does have Jews they just have a single negative modifier that prevents it, even at +40 relations.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Theswarms posted:

How do I convert to Judaism? I don't have any Jews in my court, so I can't educate my kids into it, and if I try to send them off to another court that does have Jews they just have a single negative modifier that prevents it, even at +40 relations.

Assuming you don't want to/can't use the console, you don't. If you want to be Jewish then the Ruler Designer is the way to go.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Assuming you don't want to/can't use the console, you don't. If you want to be Jewish then the Ruler Designer is the way to go.

Or the Khazars if you want hardmode

McGavin posted:

:agreed: I hold Grand Tournaments/Feasts and go on Pilgrimage ASAP after succession to get my heir enough prestige and opinion bonuses from "virtuous" traits (the ones in the green circles) that my vassals don't really care who's in charge. Having your character educate his heirs directly to ensure they get good traits and using Feudal Elective for the vassal opinion bonuses until you can switch to Primogeniture are also pretty helpful.

Ambitious people and sometimes claimants are bad news too. But yeah if your heir has good traits you can generally keep people happy once you ride out the initial wave of short reign penalties. One trick I like is going on crusade and taking all your problem vassals with you so you all get the Crusader trait and +20 relations with each other.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
Yeah any time you can kill ambitious vassals is good. Especially if they have a reason to want something from you or your heir. For the crusader bonus you can take all your direct vassals, heirs, and family members in your court, if you cycle them through the commander seats and you have them leading inside the the crusade target area. This is a good idea even if you have no intention of winning a crusade.

Also, for Iberians, you'll probably get a chance to vassalize holy orders starting with the knights of calatrava. Do it. You can raise them once and never disband them for free, which helps immensely when setting up for holy wars or between successions. Don't give them anything higher than baronies and they shouldn't be able to threaten you much in the future, but try snagging them as they form.

future ghost fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Oct 7, 2015

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Eric the Mauve posted:

Not allowed to execute them, though.

Also, if you banish them, they can raise another host against you. I had a guy try to seize the kingdom of Sweden at age 20, and then again at age 27. Persistent little bugger. I just left him in the dungeon the second time.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
I spent the bulk of the last two days creating a pseudo-Targaryen submod for Vanilla while having no prior modding experience. I finally succeeded in stamping out the last major bug I could I find and the mod is ready, but now I'm burnt out and don't want to play my creation.

Woe.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Strudel Man posted:

Not allowed to execute them, though.

Also, if you banish them, they can raise another host against you. I had a guy try to seize the kingdom of Sweden at age 20, and then again at age 27. Persistent little bugger. I just left him in the dungeon the second time.

I for one like free money though, and they usually have like 400-500 bucks, which is nothing to sneeze at. But yeah you do take the risk that they'll come after you again at the wrong time.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Didn't they change the way banishing works in Horse Lords and you no longer receive the gold from banishing landless courtiers?

Esroc posted:

I spent the bulk of the last two days creating a pseudo-Targaryen submod for Vanilla while having no prior modding experience. I finally succeeded in stamping out the last major bug I could I find and the mod is ready, but now I'm burnt out and don't want to play my creation.

Woe.

That sucks. Give it a week or two, and your enthusiasm for your mod might return.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Torrannor posted:

Didn't they change the way banishing works in Horse Lords and you no longer receive the gold from banishing landless courtiers?

I think it's only landed couriers that you can't get gold from if you banish them (you also don't take their titles either, you just force them to abdicate). I know I've been getting gold from banishing adventurers.

Unrelated: can the "wolf blood" event fire under any government form or just nomads? I've been playing Mongol nomads that have conquered their way down to India and I want to settle as a merchant republic but I haven't had that event yet and I'm not sure if I'll still be able to get it after settling.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

StashAugustine posted:

Or the Khazars if you want hardmode

Semien is hardmode. Khazars are nomadic which at the moment makes them basically unstoppable.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Groogy posted:

Huh should work. What trigger do they fail?
The one that says that the ruler needs to have the Mercenary traditions modifier. Does the kid also need to have it? Is it because I'm a landed basque muslim? I was going to see what would happen when I raised my kid by keeping him endlessly young until I got the event naturally but gf doesn't like me staying on her laptop for too long.

Some folks have no appreciation for the joy of scheming in videogames, really.

Groogy posted:

WAT? How did you manage that?
Console. Then ruler designer. (wanted to make sure it wasn't just my console shenanigans biting me) I wanted to be an invasion culture but mongols are, a bit played out. Also it's a nice goal, trying to get all of the holy sites if you start as Aztec Pagan. I was Ibadi at that point though, so idk.

And yea, quitting and reloading sometimes works but not this time. Could be a laptop issue, I can retry it on my big PC.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

Theswarms posted:

If you get a Jewish councilor, you can land him (usually some random barony is good enough) and then have him tutor an heir.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

If you get a Jewish councilor, you can land him (usually some random barony is good enough) and then have him tutor an heir.

You don't have to land your Jews to have them educate your kids.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

McGavin posted:

You don't have to land your Jews to have them educate your kids.

But you do if you want them to convert your kids. Religious and culture conversion by education can only happen if the educator is landed now.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Stupid Crusade getting in the way of my holy war. Stupid yazidi uprising getting in the way of the crusade. Stupid adventurers getting in the way of the yazidi.

This Ironman game has taken a turn for the toughness.

Did found a custom empire that contains 75% of Spain and all of west africa. Pretty much the strongest country in the world. Just gotta smack these drat catholics down.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

catlord posted:

But you do if you want them to convert your kids. Religious and culture conversion by education can only happen if the educator is landed now.
Or, specifically, if the tutor's employer (which is himself if he's landed) is the same culture/religion as the tutor himself.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I wasn't thinking about it and just usurped the pope's dutchy. He's not pleased. That's ok I'll kill him and the next pope won't care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Oh man. So I since I know now that I can't take on the Swordclowncar of Islam, I set my sights on taking the parts of the Kingdom of Castille that haven't already fallen to the Sword of the Prophet. Since I don't want to fight a war to take something that's in danger of being taken by the Muslims, I fabricate a claim on the coastal county of Asturias de Santillana. As soon as the I get the claim, I see Castillan levies popping up all over. Hmm, I wonder what they are doing? So I look at the icon. They're aiding in the conquest of Estonia. That's right. their entire army is getting on a boat to sail to the other end of Christendom. Holy lol. So I wait until they have loaded all their armies onto boats and the boats have sailed at least one sea space away. I have no idea if that's far enough or if they will turn around.

This is going to be great.

edit: There's only 777 defenders against my 5000+ army.

edit2: So I have 6900 troops besieging Santillana del Mar, but some of the boats turned around and dumped 5000 troops on my neighboring coastal county...

edit3: this has gone very badly. Barcelona also sent an army to help, and it was bad. Things are bad. Oh man. So good.

edit4: With my capital besieged but 1100 troops, and only my routed army of 700 remaining in the next county, I hired a mercenary army 5000 strong and crushed the attacking army. Back to my original siege. God willing, I will complete it before my funds run out and these sell-swords turn on me like the hired dogs they are.

edit5: A member of my court had the gall to pester me for money during this very expensive war. The money was automatically take from during the popup even, so now I'm plotting to have her killed. This will cost me nothing and gently caress her.

edit6: ugh. I losed. is it just -100% war score that causes you to auto-lose? I was ready to fight to the bitter end. Oh god losing put me 600 wealth in the red. That's really bad. Maybe I should borrow a bunch of money. that has never not ended well.

Okay thread, I need your help: I am -624 wealth, my monthly balance is +10.8. What should I do?

edit: No one's going to get mad if I just keep updating this play-by-play, right?

So I borrowed 300 wealth from Jewish merchants, since they are the only ones who will lend to you when you are in the red, and then, since I have much more prestige that piety, I compromised with the church, rather than seizing their wealth. I probably should have just seized it, because that would have put me in the black, but I didn't, so...

In good news, that bitch Mafalda, who cost me a month's worth of mercenary army with her pettiness, will soon befall a carriage accident. So my pettiness will be appeased.

oh and I raised Feudal Vassal taxes. Somehow all my vassals still like me, despite horrible mismanagement of my realm. Divine right of kings, amirite?

when I die, my truce becomes invalidated, right? And my successor can press the claim again immediately? I'm like 55, and the truce has 9 years left. I'm not expecting to live that long...

also, just realize that they eat the swans. I'm like, a fan of history, and I "study" history as a hobby, but for some reason I thought swans were ornamental creatures (I blaim Swan Lake). I just read the description of the title "Keeper of the Swans" and it said they had the best meat. Fuckin lol.

Snak fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Oct 8, 2015

• Locked thread