Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caros
May 14, 2008

WitchFetish posted:

Ok so basically I kinda remember watching Gundam 08th MS Team and several other Sunrise batshit insane mecha animes (Code Geass, Valvrave, and Fukuda's latest massterpiece), but since I don't remember anything about the former and the latters had nothing to do with Gundam, I'm basically starting my knowledge of the Gundam-verse now and this is what I think I understood :

- Mars has been terraformed and everybody on it is poor. Also something happened 323 years ago that might have been linked to said terraformation? Mars people want independence (from Earth? seems logical)
- The princess supports Martian indepence (because she's young and full of convictions?), but pretty much nobody else in her social circle does (because they are old and assholes?)
- She gets sent to the trash PMC full of child soldiers that are treated like absolute trash, who are supposed to be protecting her (?) while she visits Mars (?).
- Anyway they get attacked by people from some place with a ridiculous name that starts with like "Gja" (how the gently caress is that even supposed to be pronounced?), who uh... what is their objective anyway? I might have forgotten, but I bet they are trying to kill the Princess to make the Martian independence movement look bad.
- Trash PMC is badly equipped, and most of the troops actually leave the child soldiers from "trash battalion C" to die. Luckily they have a giant robot (I think those are the ones called Gundams) underground in a top secret part of the base, and the episode ends as it springs from the ground and starts attacking the assholes in the other giant robots.
- Also there are two assholes in space talking about some sort of techno magical communication device.
- Like 8/10 child soldiers have "will die an horrible painful death" written next to them, and I can bet fat guy, tall guy with weird haircut, hardcore-looking muscle dude and handsome blonde guy are going to die before the show is even halfway done.

I think they're actually talking about the power source that they use. The reactors for mobile suit and larger tech (such as the one found in the gundam) seem to be this series version of something called the minovsky effect. In the original Gundam this was a by-product of the fusion engines they used which distorted radio waves and bent light. In other series it is different things, N-Jammer Cancellers in SEED, GN particles in 00 gundam and so on. The idea here is that the earth needs to actually send some poor bastards out to physically check on mars because the same thing they use for power happens to also gently caress up radio waves and visible light, making it impossible to simply look at mars with a big telescope or contact them by other means.

At least... I think. I was pretty sleepy on my first watch of the new series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
Well the thing is most Gundams aren't connected to each other - Iron-Blooded Orphans is its own separate universe (unless it's revealed this is like, 323 years after Wing specifically or something). So you're probably not going to learn much of Gundam as a whole from this particular show, especially since this one thus far looks to try to be keeping away from the normal Gundam stereotypes (namely clueless sensitive teenage dweeb bumbles his way into this super expensive prototype military equipment and is magically amazing at it, thirty episodes later there's about fifty WMDs strapped to it and this teenager is now basically Space Jesus who can literally fight the entire world and come out on top).

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

WitchFetish posted:

Ok so basically I kinda remember watching Gundam 08th MS Team and several other Sunrise batshit insane mecha animes (Code Geass, Valvrave, and Fukuda's latest massterpiece), but since I don't remember anything about the former and the latters had nothing to do with Gundam, I'm basically starting my knowledge of the Gundam-verse now and this is what I think I understood :

- Mars has been terraformed and everybody on it is poor. Also something happened 323 years ago that might have been linked to said terraformation? Mars people want independence (from Earth? seems logical)
- The princess supports Martian indepence (because she's young and full of convictions?), but pretty much nobody else in her social circle does (because they are old and assholes?)
- She gets sent to the trash PMC full of child soldiers that are treated like absolute trash, who are supposed to be protecting her (?) while she visits Mars (?).
- Anyway they get attacked by people from some place with a ridiculous name that starts with like "Gja" (how the gently caress is that even supposed to be pronounced?), who uh... what is their objective anyway? I might have forgotten, but I bet they are trying to kill the Princess to make the Martian independence movement look bad.
- Trash PMC is badly equipped, and most of the troops actually leave the child soldiers from "trash battalion C" to die. Luckily they have a giant robot (I think those are the ones called Gundams) underground in a top secret part of the base, and the episode ends as it springs from the ground and starts attacking the assholes in the other giant robots.
- Also there are two assholes in space talking about some sort of techno magical communication device.
- Like 8/10 child soldiers have "will die an horrible painful death" written next to them, and I can bet fat guy, tall guy with weird haircut, hardcore-looking muscle dude and handsome blonde guy are going to die before the show is even halfway done.

This is completely unconnected from all other Gundam shows, so you don't need any prior knowledge going in. Although, I will say

WitchFetish posted:

(because she's young and full of convictions?)(because they are old and assholes?)

You seem to get Gundam pretty well.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

WitchFetish posted:

They say she actually specifically chose the orphans as her bodyguards. Because they're native Martians and orphans and it's so authentic and real, man...

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

WitchFetish posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gjallarhorn

The J is pronounced like a Y sound, like Mjolnir is meeyollnur instead of mijollnur.

Their objective is that they're effectively the Space Military Police. They're there to keep order and make sure everyone remains loyal to the Earth government. Since our princess there is a major supporter and one of the leaders/figureheads of the Martian Independence Movement, it means that Gjallarhorn is very interested in seeing her dead or imprisoned. They wield enough power that her father(a high ranking Martian politician) was willing to sell his daughter out to them in order to keep on their good side.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Caros posted:

I think they're actually talking about the power source that they use. The reactors for mobile suit and larger tech (such as the one found in the gundam) seem to be this series version of something called the minovsky effect. In the original Gundam this was a by-product of the fusion engines they used which distorted radio waves and bent light. In other series it is different things, N-Jammer Cancellers in SEED, GN particles in 00 gundam and so on. The idea here is that the earth needs to actually send some poor bastards out to physically check on mars because the same thing they use for power happens to also gently caress up radio waves and visible light, making it impossible to simply look at mars with a big telescope or contact them by other means.

At least... I think. I was pretty sleepy on my first watch of the new series.

That's it. Mcgillis, the blonde officer on the main ship, even commented on humanity being unwilling to give up a source of power/energy, even if it has big drawbacks. They have to get extremely close to Mars to be able to communicate with it, because of their power generator, which is why the inspectors (the division of Gjallarhorn that their ship is a part of) exist. If they used a different power source, they wouldn't have to constantly send inspectors directly to Mars.

Caros
May 14, 2008

boom boom boom posted:

They say she actually specifically chose the orphans as her bodyguards. Because they're native Martians and orphans and it's so authentic and real, man...

Christ, I just rewatched it and that ice burn is even worse on the second viewing. I guess we weren't equal in the first place. Bitch.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

The best part is that it is not delivered with any legit malice yet it still hit for massive damage.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Mika didn't even change the tone he was using for the guided tour. "This is the reactor room. This is the sleeping room. You and I are not equals. Kitchen is over here."

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

"Please don't shake my hand, thanks." :geno:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Yeah, this is the rare Gundam show where the protagonist is likeable right off the bat. :3:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah I can totally dig it.

Now it's time for the old "wait a week to watch the Gundam own some assholes" phase.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I hope it ends up being a while before Frog Gundam/Dickhead Gundam show up and that we get plenty more mobile worker fight scenes and creative tactics, rather than the Barbatos and other Gundams solving everything from now on, though.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I hope it ends up being a while before Frog Gundam/Dickhead Gundam show up and that we get plenty more mobile worker fight scenes and creative tactics, rather than the Barbatos and other Gundams solving everything from now on, though.

Well, they already have a reason why The Kids Club can't just throw Barbatos at every problem(Tallgeese syndrome on the pilot). The bigger problem is that they'll have to come up with a reason why Gjallarhorn won't drop the hammer on the sudden appearance of an illegal unknown mobile suit and deploy all the MS they have for that to happen, since we've been shown that mobile workers stand about as much chance against a mobile suit as a butterfly does against a hurricane.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Kanos posted:

Well, they already have a reason why The Kids Club can't just throw Barbatos at every problem(Tallgeese syndrome on the pilot). The bigger problem is that they'll have to come up with a reason why Gjallarhorn won't drop the hammer on the sudden appearance of an illegal unknown mobile suit and deploy all the MS they have for that to happen, since we've been shown that mobile workers stand about as much chance against a mobile suit as a butterfly does against a hurricane.

Yeah, but we also already know that the Barbatos is eventually getting an upgrade that fixes the Tallgeese syndrome - the question is whether it happens in episode 5 or 15.

I imagine that a) the kids will go to ground locally and b) the Mars branch of Gjallarhorn doesn't exactly have infinite resources to throw at the problem.

It doesn't look like MS are particularly common either - Gjallarhorn's big assault is 95% mobile workers and one single team of MS. There's three or four MS designs still left so things will probably heat up a notch when the inspector arrives with his own contingent of cutting edge MS to supplement the Mars branch's lovely hand-me-downs.

e; vv

T.G. Xarbala posted:

It's a shame but it does look like the little tanks that could probably actually can't, at least not against mobile suits.

It'd be sweet if that impression got turned around though.

Yeah, that's the thing - right now they're at the point where creative tactics + some dangerous modifications could make massed mobile workers viable against a small number of MS. I'm hoping that happens, rather than the Gundams suddenly obsoleting the tanks entirely.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Oct 7, 2015

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

It's a shame but it does look like the little tanks that could probably actually can't, at least not against mobile suits.

It'd be sweet if that impression got turned around though.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I sense someone talking about... GUNDAM!
The tanks just aren't equipped to fight MS, maybe they'll get heavier armaments in the future.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

T.G. Xarbala posted:

"Please don't shake my hand, thanks." :geno:

Aina's arc is currently "I'm too indecisive and insecure to slum it", give her a half dozen episodes of character development and she'll happily grab the dirty hand.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Mika didn't really give Aina a chance to try to grab his hand, despite the dirt and oil. She even pulled her hand back and took off her glove when trying to shake his hand. He just shut her down with what he said, then turned away. Aina asking to help with getting Barbatos setup shows she's willing to get her hands dirty, as well.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Yeah, but we also already know that the Barbatos is eventually getting an upgrade that fixes the Tallgeese syndrome - the question is whether it happens in episode 5 or 15.

I imagine that a) the kids will go to ground locally and b) the Mars branch of Gjallarhorn doesn't exactly have infinite resources to throw at the problem.

It doesn't look like MS are particularly common either - Gjallarhorn's big assault is 95% mobile workers and one single team of MS. There's three or four MS designs still left so things will probably heat up a notch when the inspector arrives with his own contingent of cutting edge MS to supplement the Mars branch's lovely hand-me-downs.

I'm actually rather curious why Gjallarhorn went with the massed attack route. Given that the president of CGS's first reaction to the Gjallarhorn attack was to pack all his poo poo and run like gently caress at the head of First Battalion while leaving the kids to die, it seems like they could have simply intimidated or bribed him into directly selling out the princess instead. Every non-Gjallarhorn character we've seen in the show so far responds to Gjallarhorn with outright fear(Kudelia's father, the CGS president, the first battalion officers, and even the kids when they first realize who's attacking them), so they definitely have some serious weight behind them on Mars.

It's probably due to Orliss being an egocentric idiot who wanted to throw his dick around with a solid military victory on his first command instead of a simple diplomatic coup.

Reds posted:

The tanks just aren't equipped to fight MS, maybe they'll get heavier armaments in the future.

I'd hope so, but given some of the stuff in this episode like Danji charging in to close range "because their armor's thick" or Mika/Akihiro running right into the middle of the enemy formation to do their synchronized mobile worker dancing, it implies that their weapons are barely adequate even for fighting other mobile workers. I'd think they'd have put on heavier stuff if they had it.

Maybe they'll salvage some good stuff from the remains of the first battalion(assuming a significant portion of it got wiped out), since I imagine the Cool Kids Club got all the really garbage hand-me-down trash.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

Given how the station commander was talking about making Kudelia into a martyr, they were probably doing the whole colonial government demonstrates overwhelming power to generate fear of further reprisals thing.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Kanos posted:

It's probably due to Orliss being an egocentric idiot who wanted to throw his dick around with a solid military victory on his first command instead of a simple diplomatic coup.

It's that, or it's just that their usual RoE is to go in hard and fast. CGS are just a crappy PMC, but they have guns and Gjallarhorn are cops, so they probably feel like attacking is a legitimate exercise of their authority and a raid is just their standard MO. They had no real reason to want to negotiate with a podunk mercenary outfit since they have overwhelming firepower.

It's probably a combination of all these things, really.

Kanos posted:

it implies that their weapons are barely adequate even for fighting other mobile workers.

Yeah, you'll note that the CGS mobile workers have some kind of light autocannon/heavy MG whereas the Gjallarhorn ones fire explosive shells. CGS don't seem to be very well equipped which makes sense, since Gjallarhorn wouldn't want PMCs to be able to fight them.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Oct 7, 2015

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Lemon Curdistan posted:

It's that, or it's just that their usual RoE is to go in hard and fast. CGS are just a crappy PMC, but they have guns and Gjallarhorn are cops, so they probably feel like attacking is a legitimate exercise of their authority and a raid is just their standard MO. They had no real reason to want to negotiate with a podunk mercenary outfit since they have overwhelming firepower.

Yeah, you'll note that the CGS mobile workers have some kind of light autocannon/heavy MG whereas the Gjallarhorn ones fire explosive shells. CGS don't seem to be very well equipped which makes sense, since Gjallarhorn wouldn't want PMCs to be able to fight them.

I don't think a full massed assault raid is their normal MO based on Crank's reaction to the battle. He seemed extremely miffed at Orliss's insistence on a massed wave attack(which led to significant casualties) instead of simply deploying the mobile suits immediately. With that in mind and Orliss telling Crank "gently caress the objective, if you want it so bad get it yourself" suggests that Gjallarhorn's normal MO is shock and awe "we've got mobile suits give up or you're dead" and Orliss just wanted to win a big military clash to cover himself in glory.

Have we seen a first battalion CGS worker? Given the state of things at CGS I would have assumed that the first battalion guys would actually have decent equipment and the third battalion kids would be operating on lovely scrapheaps.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Kanos posted:

Have we seen a first battalion CGS worker? Given the state of things at CGS I would have assumed that the first battalion guys would actually have decent equipment and the third battalion kids would be operating on lovely scrapheaps.

During the flare scene I'm pretty sure I caught a glimpse of one of those lovely autocannons.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kanos posted:

I'd hope so, but given some of the stuff in this episode like Danji charging in to close range "because their armor's thick" or Mika/Akihiro running right into the middle of the enemy formation to do their synchronized mobile worker dancing, it implies that their weapons are barely adequate even for fighting other mobile workers. I'd think they'd have put on heavier stuff if they had it.

Maybe they'll salvage some good stuff from the remains of the first battalion(assuming a significant portion of it got wiped out), since I imagine the Cool Kids Club got all the really garbage hand-me-down trash.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

You're forgetting that the child soldier battalion isn't exactly liked by the rest of CGS. I doubt they were getting the best equipment for any task except being disposable meatshields.

boom boom boom posted:

I think it's less for her sake as to wave them in front of the Earth government as a demonstration of what's going on on Mars under their authority. Believing they're equals is her own personal thing though.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

powerful teens

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

What does the thread title mean?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

.jpg posted:

What does the thread title mean?

The opening song has a line that goes "waiting for direction", but a lot of people misheard it as "waiting for erection"

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

I see. Nice one.

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

I think the episode where we learn about the sentimental value of the big coat will be ep4.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Whoa the episode names were leaked and wellllllp

Episode 2 Barbatos
Episode 3 Sange (scattering flowers, or to fall like flowers. A saying that usually means dying a glorious death
Episode 4 Life's Price

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Episode 2 Barbatos
Episode 3 Sange (scattering flowers, or to fall like flowers. A saying that usually means dying a glorious death
Episode 4 Life's Price

That must be fake because I have it on good authority that Episode 4 is Big Coat Story

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
Also, Gjallahorn was trying to engage quietly, hence the snipers, but a sentry managed to figure out what was happening and alert the whole company. If that didn't happen, they'd have been blowing them away as everyone tried to launch.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Droyer posted:

The opening song has a line that goes "waiting for direction", but a lot of people misheard it as "waiting for erection"

It's the best misheard lyric since "IT'S IN MEEEEEEE~ I'M A UNICOOOOOORN".

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Episode 2 Barbatos
Episode 4 Life's Price

I'm assuming that's Akihiro gone, then. He's been established as the second-best fighter of the Orphans, but he doesn't have an obvious suit lined up for him like Biscuit and Orga. RIP, big guy.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

I'm assuming that's Akihiro gone, then. He's been established as the second-best fighter of the Orphans, but he doesn't have an obvious suit lined up for him like Biscuit and Orga. RIP, big guy.

The opening shows him piloting a pieced together version of what ever the green Gjallorhorn suits are called.

Also Orga and Biscuit weren't even shown to be pilots so I'm not sure why you think they have suits lined up.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Ethiser posted:

The opening shows him piloting a pieced together version of what ever the green Gjallorhorn suits are called.

Also Orga and Biscuit weren't even shown to be pilots so I'm not sure why you think they have suits lined up.

Oh, so the Graze Kai is his? Neat. As for Orga and Biscuit, there's two Gundams coming up, the Kimaris and Gusion, that seem perfectly suited to them.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Ethiser posted:

Orga definitely has the whisker connector on his back and I'm pretty sure the only reason he's got his sweet two seater is so he can focus on command rather than him not being able to pilot a thing. We haven't seen Biscuit shirtless yet, so it's possible he doesn't have one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarakchan
Mar 17, 2009

I'm guessing Biscuit has a different sort of implant because he was able to sense the Ahab generators somehow.

• Locked thread