Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

It looks really stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I like the Legilis' design.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

You look really stupid!!

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

At least I'm not half-shark.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I'm forming the anti pointless pointy bits in design faction.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Legilis is the best thing to come out of Age by a country mile, and I hope one day it gets another shot at stardom via build fighters or something.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

After one episode, IBO is looking like it's my kind of jam.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I sense someone talking about... GUNDAM!

Red Bones posted:

Legilis is the best thing to come out of Age by a country mile, and I hope one day it gets another shot at stardom via build fighters or something.

Legilis is good but it pales in comparison to all of the fed mooks.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
AGE generally had some pretty great mech design. The Genoace and Clanche are great, and the Spallow is one of the rare non-terrible Gundam designs. The Titus was pretty cool, too.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
AGE had really toyetic designs, which is exactly my poo poo.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I liked the pre-awakened Legilis better.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I sense someone talking about... GUNDAM!

BlitzBlast posted:

AGE had really toyetic designs, which is exactly my poo poo.

The fed mooks were pretty much simpler and blocker and generally brightly coloured FMP units which is great.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

T.G. Xarbala posted:

After one episode, IBO is looking like it's my kind of jam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcArnepkhv0

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
last time i posted in this thread (or was it the G-Reco thead?), i got verbally shat on for insisting that G-Reco had a rushed ending (and equally as rushed pacing)

i still stand by my opinion

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The entirety of G-Reco is rushed, it's hardly exclusive to the ending! :v:

(G-Reco was not very good.)

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Lemon Curdistan posted:

i'm gonna disagree, but I do wish the ending had explained a few more things

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Wasn't the last episode supposed to be expanded with extra footage at some point? Or was that just an internet rumor?

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Oct 7, 2015

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Raxivace posted:

Wasn't the last episode supposed to expanded with extra footage at some point? Or was that just an internet rumor?

Just a rumor unfortunately

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Baal posted:

The first episode of Cross Ange has a baby being arrested by the police and ends on prison rape

:spergin:its not prison rape its a cavity search!!1!1!:spergin:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Lemon Curdistan posted:

G-Reco was not "very good", because it was in fact "amazing".

G-Reco is good and art and people who disagree are wrong. Not liking it is a matter of taste though, so that's alright.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
yeah lets just ignore tomino making GBS threads on it as well

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Oct 7, 2015

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Oh for gently caress's sake do we have to do this again

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Race Realists posted:

yeah lets just ignore tomino making GBS threads on it as well

He's been doing that since MSG

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm not a fan of G-Reco but I don't feel the need to defend my honor whenever I find someone who is.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

It's normal as hell for an artist to be their own worst critic, Tomino is just a guy who doesn't keep it locked inside

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Oh for gently caress's sake do we have to do this again

god forbid someone wants decent (or at the very least competent) writing in a gundam show

I guess I ask too much in a franchise designed primarily to sell poo poo.

moving on

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Oct 7, 2015

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

G-Reco is the best gundam show of the 21st century thus far, but it does have bad pacing.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Race Realists posted:

god forbid someone wants decent (or at the very least competent) writing in a gundam show

I guess I ask too much in a franchise designed primarily to sell poo poo.

moving on

Yeah we'll just write the next Gundam show, let's get on that, but first we're gonna harp on stuff about a beef we had from some other thread literal months ago.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Droyer posted:

Just a rumor unfortunately

That's a shame.

I didn't really enjoy G-Reco as it was airing, but for some reason I've found myself feeling strangely nostalgic for it and wanting to rewatch it.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Raxivace posted:

That's a shame.

I didn't really enjoy G-Reco as it was airing, but for some reason I've found myself feeling strangely nostalgic for it and wanting to rewatch it.

I have been rewatching it gradually and while I really liked watching it as it aired, I think the combination of rewatching it and not having a week gap between episodes has been making it quite a lot more enjoyable

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Srice posted:

I have been rewatching it gradually and while I really liked watching it as it aired, I think the combination of rewatching it and not having a week gap between episodes has been making it quite a lot more enjoyable

Yeah, I've wondered if being able to marathon the show helps too.

I also like how because it is only 25 episodes, it's not the huge commitment that rewatching something like Zeta would be.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Raxivace posted:

Yeah, I've wondered if being able to marathon the show helps too.

I also like how because it is only 25 episodes, it's not the huge commitment that rewatching something like Zeta would be.

Marathoning helps a lot in this case since stuff they casually mention offhand that becomes relevant a few episodes later is fresher in your mind so it's easier to get a grip on certain things

Agreed on the episode count, I'm real glad that 25 has become the new standard for Gundam shows and they've confirmed that IBO is gonna stick to that trend, so that's cool.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

My biggest hangup watching G-Reco was learning to let go of trying to understand character motivations from any kind of modern day context. The characters are all mentally six years old when it comes to serious war and conflict, and still relearning all of this poo poo. The whole thing starts to make more sense when you remember it's a society that has spent centuries actively avoiding technological innovation or major conflict, to the point that the Capital Army just forming is a massive political upset to the status quo before they even do anything. No one in G-Reco has any loving clue what they're doing.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I marathon rewatched G-Reco after it aired and it still had paper-thin characters and a nonsensical plot pacing. It needed another cours' worth of episodes to be able to explore the characters in more depth and not have to just fast-forward through everything. It's Bad Gundam, even though it's very pretty and has some of the best MS design ever.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

So uh. How does one watch the original series movies anyway? It seems all I can do is order out of print DVD's somewhere?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I marathon rewatched G-Reco after it aired and it still had paper-thin characters and a nonsensical plot pacing. It needed another cours' worth of episodes to be able to explore the characters in more depth and not have to just fast-forward through everything. It's Bad Gundam, even though it's very pretty and has some of the best MS design ever.

Except that's not true at all! In fact, it had pretty great characters and plot and while having a couple of episodes to explore the characters and setting more would have been great, it works together pretty well as is.

Most of the complaints back when it was airing were people who couldn't wrap their heads around something that didn't follow the standard anime cliches for plot and characters. Since your "complaints" don't go into any details, I can't tell if it's just another one of those or not.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Sextro posted:

So uh. How does one watch the original series movies anyway? It seems all I can do is order out of print DVD's somewhere?

By buying those out of print DVD's on eBay or downloading them from the internet, as far as I know.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Greco is a tomino show, which means the character do things for reason which is rarely related to the audience and for a guy who hates toys every thing is very childish and toy like and ADD

Its very pretty and I enjoyed watching it but people portraying it as a modern classic are overreaching

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lemon Curdistan posted:

The main characters in G-Reco had more motivation and characterization than a good chunk of similar characters from longer series. Dudes like Kerbes or Ringo didn't but whatevs, they wouldn't do great even in a full show. G-Reco has a lot minor lines of dialogue or background details which advance characterization which I think people mistake for 'doesn't have characterization.'

It seriously is probably the best Gundam television show since Turn-A which is fairly faint praise since the only real competition it has is BF. It's still a good Gundam though. After coming off the line of SEED to AGE I'll take G-Reco's bad pacing and occasional immense Tominoism in a heartbeat.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Oct 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

G-Reco was a good show that really needed more episodes because plot points ended up being not explored enough, and everything felt rushed. That even with that it was still a blast to watch says a lot about its quality.

• Locked thread