Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Anyone in the UK, there's a great Frostgrave demo board at Derby World Wargames, last day is today and I believe the actual Nick is there to demonstrate it. I'm getting my book signed for dice fame rubs, Hackmaster style.

And Dice Bag Lady is there, too! And me, I'm doing airbrush demonstrations. Will post pictures of the Frostgrave board later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
We played 2 games last night, and still found shooting to be somewhat dominating the board even though we really tried to pack the table with terrain in the second one. It's hard to avoid firing lanes, and if a crossbowman gets a vantage point, he's very powerful. Has anybody had any thoughts on the relative strengths of shooting? Has anyone house ruled shooting? Or do you guys prefer shooting as is?

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
We only had one game and our archers were planted in upper floors in our respective deployment zones so they didn't have a good range, but I can't see how enough terrain won't solve this problem. The rule book says after all that you shouldn't be able to trace a line of fire longer than 24".

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

krushgroove posted:

Anyone in the UK, there's a great Frostgrave demo board at Derby World Wargames, last day is today and I believe the actual Nick is there to demonstrate it. I'm getting my book signed for dice fame rubs, Hackmaster style.

And Dice Bag Lady is there, too! And me, I'm doing airbrush demonstrations. Will post pictures of the Frostgrave board later.

Currently laying in bed debating whether to drive the hour up the M1 with sprog #1 to come along but I know I'll just end up buying a bunch of poo poo I don't actually need :(

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

enri posted:

Currently laying in bed debating whether to drive the hour up the M1 with sprog #1 to come along but I know I'll just end up buying a bunch of poo poo I don't actually need :(

You know you want to :getin:

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
So, it said subsidized shipping internationally for the Nickstarter as an Early Bird. But I also added in a bunch of other Frostgrave stuff to the order. Is it going to be subsidized still or calculated at the usual 25% rate because there was a lot more stuff added? Anyone have experience ordering from their store before?

Edit:
Just went whole hog and ordered anyway:

-Level 3 Nickstarter
-Frostgrave Starter pack (Soldiers, Treasure, Necromancer, Enchanter)
-Sigilist (I liked the Librarian Nun models)
-Wolves (Figure I can use for either random encounters or warhounds)
-A ton of paint
-A bunch of tools
-Modelling supplies (including placing some orders at Secret Weapon for their crushed glass/water effects bundle. Thanks for the recommendation!)

Should give me plenty to work with for the time being. Later on I'll probably try to create some themed terrain. Most of my paints/supplies are on the other side of the world in an attic, so I'm having to start off again with the basics.

Edit 2:

I suddenly want to get a Whisky Golem for the Enchanter, and have his base of operations be a brewery.

Gravy Train Robber fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Oct 4, 2015

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

enri posted:

I know I'll just end up buying a bunch of poo poo I don't actually need :(

Isn't that gaming in general, though?

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Been putting snow on my FG terrain tonight, and thought I'd snap a pic of my warband after the first two games yesterday.

I already got a knight and a templar, and enough cash to buy replacements for them, so I'm definitely getting ahead of my peers already. I hope the rules are balanced enough that the games will still be fun.

Edit: This is as far as I got with putting snow on terrain before I got bored with white stuff:

Fish and Chimps fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Oct 4, 2015

radlum
May 13, 2013
I'm trying to add some female soldiers and I have some spare Empire Halberdiers from GW. Would the Statuesque Miniatures female heads work well with the GW bodies? I saw some conversions using Frostgrave soldiers a few pages back, and I don't know if they would work with GW products

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer

radlum posted:

I'm trying to add some female soldiers and I have some spare Empire Halberdiers from GW. Would the Statuesque Miniatures female heads work well with the GW bodies? I saw some conversions using Frostgrave soldiers a few pages back, and I don't know if they would work with GW products

I've got the Statuesque "heroic scale" heads on my desk, and they seem to fit nicely with GW products (I bought them for some Battle Nuns).

enri
Dec 16, 2003

krushgroove posted:

Isn't that gaming in general, though?

It is :) I resisted the urge though, not feeling 100% coupled with not wanting to spend too much cash, made me decide to give it a miss. If I'd gone and followed my heart, I'd have walked away with gaziliions of MDF buildings, a bunch of saga stuff, more paints, more modelling tools than I know what to do with and an empty wallet.

Next year maybe :)

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
I am really liking the Frost Wraith. Hopefully the project gets enough funds to include it in the package.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

radlum posted:

Not sure about Fantasy models, but I do know those heads work great on Space Marines, if that helps!

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I haven't really followed this thread at all, I bought the rules on a whim during a larger Amazon order but haven't read them yet. I had this terrain set on KS set to reminder, and now with 8 hours left and every stretch unlocked and freebies added it looks like a killer deal at Gold and Merchant, could be good for Frostgrave? No idea if it's been linked already.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/nickryan/dark-age-outpost-28mm-terrain-and-miniature-set/description

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Oct 6, 2015

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

That terrain would probably work well for an outpost outside the city, e.g. if you set up a 'raid the other guy's base' type scenario. Maybe the odd wall would work OK as an obstacle in a street or a back yard or something too.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
I kind of want to build a Brewery outpost using that kit. But I should probably prioritize stuff to use in standard games.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
I just backed that kickstarter and i figure you could make some pretty good boards with it for frostgrave. You could either use the walls and stuff or you could jsut use the buildings as an abandoned fort or something. Anyways its a great deal.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

I caved and also backed that fortress KS 'cause it looks nifty.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
"gently caress yeah, crossbows!"

TheDiceBagLady
Aug 2, 2015

Annie, Owner of Bad Squiddo Games. No longer a Garbage Dick. Buy my things, they're great!

radlum posted:

These?
http://thedicebaglady.net/heroic-scale-female-heads-x-10/

Yep, it's almost as if they're made for GW (that could sound sarcastic, but it isn't!) They're the perfect size.

The Frostgrave conversions were mine, I've spent a long time looking at various heads and plastic kits as to what fits.

--

Cheers everyone who came over at Derby Worlds, it was immense. Haha yes, "The actual Nick" was even there.

I went a bit nuts and picked one of these up (for myself, I know right, I'm talking about something I'm NOT selling!) Rarely treat myself, but Worlds was so ace I decided I deserved it. Obviously not the cheapest mats in the world, but absolutely worth it, top quality. I'm someone who saves up, waits, and generally buys less but top (so 4ground buildings etc) as I want to look at the battle and think "danm this is ace".

link on Northstar (better if outside of USA)
6 x 4 http://northstarfigures.com/prod.php?prod=7527
link on CigarBoxBattle (better if you're USA) - with better pictures
3x3 http://cigarboxbattlestore.bigcartel.com/product/frozen-ruins-3x3-201
6x4 http://cigarboxbattlestore.bigcartel.com/product/frozen-ruins-4-x6-plus-200

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Nice. I'm waiting for one of these:

http://shop.fow.dk/product/pvc-games-mat-size-4x4-winter-theme-6689/

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

TheDiceBagLady posted:

Cheers everyone who came over at Derby Worlds, it was immense.

Hey was great to meet you! I hope it was a good weekend for ya

I didn't get to get my book signed by Nick, but I didn't get to see him at the Frostgrave table anyway. I *think* I saw him walking around the first day, but I'm not sure which one of the two guys wearing Frostgrave shirts he was.

Speaking of which, here's the Saturday table:

I was hoping to get more pictures of it but they changed it to this for Sunday:

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Speaking of pretty terrain... Ash, formerly of miniwargaming, has some pretty nice terrain in a battlereport on his channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYsKG8SZJNI

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

NTRabbit posted:

I haven't really followed this thread at all, I bought the rules on a whim during a larger Amazon order but haven't read them yet. I had this terrain set on KS set to reminder, and now with 8 hours left and every stretch unlocked and freebies added it looks like a killer deal at Gold and Merchant, could be good for Frostgrave? No idea if it's been linked already.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/nickryan/dark-age-outpost-28mm-terrain-and-miniature-set/description

Goddammit, why do I always discover nifty KS just after their end. :argh:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I tried :ohdear:

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

Arven posted:

Speaking of pretty terrain... Ash, formerly of miniwargaming, has some pretty nice terrain in a battlereport on his channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYsKG8SZJNI

That is pretty nice. Whats that well/fountain in the video? It looks like the same one as in the rulebook photo for the well scenario. Is it a kit somewhere?

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

Gravy Train Robber posted:

That is pretty nice. Whats that well/fountain in the video? It looks like the same one as in the rulebook photo for the well scenario. Is it a kit somewhere?

I was wondering that too. It looks like parts of one of the GF9 Battlefield in a Box 28mm ruins kits

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
Cheers for the lead on the fountain, I was even able to find a store selling it here in Japan. Which was surprising. And also surprising that they stocked Frostgrave and that there was a regionalized version of the book. Now I won't have to make North Star cry over their "5 pound international shipping" offers in the future.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Can you shed some light on what it was called? Want to see if anyone has any remaining stock in Europe

Nevermind, found it. "Ruined Fountain"

Fish and Chimps fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Oct 7, 2015

Demiurge
May 29, 2008

Mining for the Greater Good.
Ash from GMG is on Facebook and he has always been very good about responding to messages and posts. I'm sure if you asked, he'd point you in the right direction to recreate his terrain. I remember seeing him show off some WIPs in a "Piece of Ash" video maybe last month?

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

Demiurge posted:

Ash from GMG is on Facebook and he has always been very good about responding to messages and posts. I'm sure if you asked, he'd point you in the right direction to recreate his terrain. I remember seeing him show off some WIPs in a "Piece of Ash" video maybe last month?

After watching that battle report I went through and watched some others, and was impressed. I hope he creates more Frostgrave content! I may ask about his terrain once I've got the rest of the stuff from the Nickstarter finished.

Throbbing blob posted:

Can you shed some light on what it was called? Want to see if anyone has any remaining stock in Europe

Nevermind, found it. "Ruined Fountain"

Sorry, I should have added the name! It looks like a lot of the stuff was from Gale Force 9, you were right.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

Sorry, I should have added the name! It looks like a lot of the stuff was from Gale Force 9, you were right.

And as usual, it's unavailable since apparently GF9 hates money

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.

Demiurge posted:

I really enjoy his battle reports and he does a wide variety of games. His channel is definitely worth a look. Also, he linked to another Frostgrave battle report with him and Owen. I'm really glad to see more Frostgrave stuff on YouTube.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Yo I just watched that video, does your Will get added when you cast a spell? How did I loving miss that?!

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.
I thought he said towards the end that he played that wrong. The biggest problem with his battle reports is he will play the game wrong and not realize it until someone tells him.

Demiurge
May 29, 2008

Mining for the Greater Good.
Have you guys read Bad Karma's proposed house rules? What are you thoughts, if any?

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

Springfield Fatts posted:

Yo I just watched that video, does your Will get added when you cast a spell? How did I loving miss that?!

Yeah, that also threw me and I had to go look it up. He just got the rules wrong, but he did catch it after that first mistake.

Does anyone have any opinions on the Renedra Stone Ruin kits?

Also I've been out of modeling/painting for several years but is 22 pounds for a set of pine trees normal? I mean they look nice but I'm getting a bit of sticker shock

Gravy Train Robber fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Oct 8, 2015

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Also I've been out of modeling/painting for several years but is 22 pounds for a set of pine trees normal? I mean they look nice but I'm getting a bit of sticker shock

Trees have always always been inordinately expensive in my eyes, that's why I've never ever bought any. I think you can pick up some el cheapo fir trees from china, off of ebay, if you look around. They're like £10 for a whole bunch that look passable enough for miniature gaming.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

Demiurge posted:

Have you guys read Bad Karma's proposed house rules? What are you thoughts, if any?

My group agrees with his assessment of the problems, and we have adopted the following solutions, several of which are based on that blog post:

1) Wizards/apprentices get 20 experience for successfully casting spells, but no experience for killing enemies with spells. They still get experience for killing enemies with weapons.

2) I drafted an NPC Escalation Table and accompanying behaviors. They've undergone a lot of testing (some goons are helping) and are in a good place. Basically, as the game runs, increasingly dangerous poo poo starts to show up. By turn 6-7, remaining on the table is suicidal.

3) We created a Magic Item Shop. It has slots for each type of item, buys items sold by players, and occasionally replenishes empty slots. For example, the shop right now looks like:

MAGIC ITEM SHOP
Wild: Grimoire: Crumble
Wild: Item: Horn of Destruction
Grimoire: Decay
Scroll: Draining Word
Scroll: Elemental Shield
Scroll: Will Power
Item: Ring of Will
Weapon/Armor: Crossbow +1 Shoot
Potion: Teleportation
Potion: Demon in a Bottle
Potion: Elixir of Life
Healing Potions (unlimited)

I think that's it as far as balancing houserules go. We have others for flavor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Just wanna echo what Sulecrist said. The biggest improvements to me are a turn limit which motivates you to get stuck in rather than play it slow and safe, no XP for spell kills so direct damage spells aren’t the obviously better choices than support spells, limited actions between game rounds, and the random inventory the shopkeeps have to limit you from simply power levelling your gear as soon as possible. We’ve run about ten games so far using them and even though a few games have gone one-sided in a player’s favor there hasn’t been any runaway power creep which I think would have been the case if we were playing it straight out of the book.