Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I tend to build a grid, but, like, a supergrid of highways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Mokotow posted:

It's call RoadAnarchy or something similar.

Thanks.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Aa area's initial branch of a highway is what I always struggle with. So much traffic still has to go through that area. How do you deal with this without placing new off-ramps every five metres?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Omi no Kami posted:

drat, roads are becoming the bane of my existence. Am I correct that the general pattern I want to follow is 4 or 6-lane spines feeding into lots of 2 lane grid communities, with as many one-way streets as possible to avoid weirdness like trucks and industrial vehicles pathing through residential roads and getting stuck?

Close, but not quite.

You don't want “lots”. You want a freeway, which feeds a handful of 6-lane spines, each of which feeds a handful of 4-lane, each of which feed a handful of 2-lane. If you start adding too many sub-branches, the road clogs up from the traffic volume. If you add branches too close together, the road clogs up from the constant red lights at crossings. If you put in shortcuts that let traffic go from A to B without using the main thoroughfares, everyone will love the shortcut and the road will clog up.

You might spot a reoccurring theme here. :D

Amateur :words:

Roundabouts are a common solution to the clogging up due to road crossings, and they help up to a point. However, even a roundabout is a crossing that vehicles have to slow down for and/or wait for passing traffic to clear. You can solve this to some extent by having proper feeds into the roundabout that reduce the angle of the turn, but you then come across the issue of how C:S assigns turning lanes and how the AI picks what lane to drive it — traffic will still interfere and will still occasionally make very sharp turns that (wait for it) clog the road up. Mods like TrafficManager and Traffic++ can help with these issues by letting you manually assign turning lanes and proper paths through the roundabout, and generally make the AI drive better. Either way, the main point here is that you want to build big. Leave lots of room for traffic to settle between high-traffic crossings; leave lots of room to later let you upgrade with better (read: larger) roundabouts and feeder lanes.

If you want to give people (as opposed to traffic) short-cuts to across these large areas, say to go from a residential area to a commercial one for shopping and/or work, pedestrian/bike paths are very useful. They also let you split up the zone squares in a way that's perhaps more to you liking and creates a bit of natural separation. You could conceivably make use of one-way roads to shape traffic between these areas, but as mentioned, any such shortcut will either be unnecessary or become a favourite and see heavy traffic that you might not want to see. Policies such as Heavy Traffic Ban and Old Town helps a lot more in that case, but even then, your shortcuts will still be popular with vehicles that are allowed. Fire trucks, garbage trucks, hearses and ambulances excel at clogging up these kinds of roads and there's no way to stop them. Well, aside from not building the road…

Personally, I suck too much at building “live” so I make extensive use of the asset editor to make prefab ploppable crossings for highway crossings, offramps, and regional and local roads, but even these will not stand up to heavy use so even then, minding what leads to where is still the best way of ensuring that no stampedes occur in these areas.

For instance, look at the central underpass roundabout in this:

It used to lead to both the industrial zones to the left and the residential and commercial zones to the right, and even though it was early low-density stuff, by 30k population, the whole centre area was solid red from traffic jams. Cutting the road between the offramp and the residential area cleared it up in no-time, and while it's working at the moment, I probably have to rebuild it to create a more direct connection to the on/off ramps. And replacing that T-intersection that connects the industry with the commercial zones on the other side of the freeway will soon become an issue too…

Strategic Tea posted:

Aa area's initial branch of a highway is what I always struggle with. So much traffic still has to go through that area. How do you deal with this without placing new off-ramps every five metres?
If you mean initially as in the early game, then there's very little to do — just build it with future restructuring and expansion in mind (i.e. lots of space). Later on, it's mainly a matter of ensuring that the connection only really leads to one thing so that it's not being used as a shortcut to get to somewhere else. Depending on what kind of area it is, in my experience it also rather becomes an issue of having enough on-ramps, but luckily, highways aren't as easily disrupted by those as local roads are.

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!

This game is kind of a good primer in why natural disasters are increasingly seen as a result of development choices. Gotta fill up all that land!

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:

Fasdar posted:

This game is kind of a good primer in why natural disasters are increasingly seen as a result of development choices. Gotta fill up all that land!

and how photographic edits can completely change the context of an image. Note shown: poop dam.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
drat, I forgot how much traffic the industrial railway produced, holy crap.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Grand Fromage posted:

For all the custom content frustration, this game is pretty.

What map is that, and what trees are you using?

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Are there any mods that add different types of light props, like a toned down floodlight? It would be nice to have an uplight that doesn't cast a beam visible from orbit.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

oddium posted:

oh man i used to live right below west rock and this would make my day

And it's done. :toot: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=531001229

For a challenge, reconfigure the I-91/95/CT 34 interchange with the planned upgrade configuration. http://i95newhaven.com/pdfs/contracts/contract_e_0510.pdf

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Eh I've gridded the bejesus out of my post-AD city (with an extensive transit system) and I haven't had too many problems. Main issue is the same thing as usual, cargo terminals, although the ship to rail one is helping a bit there.

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

MikeJF posted:

There's no one-size-fits-all solution. That's what's great about this game! Post some screenshots. Big overview and traffic map.

One thing you want to be careful of, though, is cargo. Make sure your industrial areas have straight shots to the city exits and harbours. Run dedicated ground-level trains from your industrial zones to the cargo harbours.

Moridin920 posted:

Post a screenshot with the traffic overlay on? Also try adding subways.

At some point adding more intersections is just going to cause more traffic.

My airport doesn't generate much traffic oddly. I have a bus route dedicated to ferrying them into the city.
Neither does my passenger harbor, just because it's in the heart of the city. Ignore the crazy population numbers too for such a small place. I have a mod that increases numbers but doesn't seem to change the traffic numbers at all. I had the same problems before the mod.

My highway roundabouts aren't great, but they've actually not been clogged since adding the two bridges into the city. The two bridges have highway connections, but they're pretty far away so not all traffic goes through it. Freight usually goes through the highway despite the beauty shot having a freight train right there. I have zero industry inside the city.

My suburbs have virtually no high density too. Only one side has it a little bad, but from what I've seen most of the traffic is highway and not the suburbs. That main road that cuts through everything is what usually clogs up though. From the sounds of it, I don't have it leafy enough in design. So I'm starting to see where I could fix things.

Just for fun, a beauty shot of the city.

One thing I would suggest to folks that I've learned which will cut down on car traffic is mixing the zoning up. The city will look more realistic too I feel. So let's say you usually do this:
=========
RRRRRRRR
RRRRRRRR
=========
OOOOOOO
CCCCCCC
=========

R = Residential, O = Office, C = Commercial, ='s are roads

Do this, and people will walk a lot more.
==========
RCRORROC
OORORCCO
==========

So long as you never zone high density commercial without a buffer of light and offices, residents won't complain about the noise.
You can also get really interesting blocks if you break up the rows with 3x3s and 1x1s in like a 4x16 area or something like that.

Bel Monte fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Oct 7, 2015

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Bel Monte posted:

My airport doesn't generate much traffic oddly. I have a bus route dedicated to ferrying them into the city.
Neither does my passenger harbor, just because it's in the heart of the city. Ignore the crazy population numbers too for such a small place. I have a mod that increases numbers but doesn't seem to change the traffic numbers at all. I had the same problems before the mod.

My highway roundabouts aren't great, but they've actually not been clogged since adding the two bridges into the city. The two bridges have highway connections, but they're pretty far away so not all traffic goes through it. Freight usually goes through the highway despite the beauty shot having a freight train right there. I have zero industry inside the city.

My suburbs have virtually no high density too. Only one side has it a little bad, but from what I've seen most of the traffic is highway and not the suburbs. That main road that cuts through everything is what usually clogs up though. From the sounds of it, I don't have it leafy enough in design. So I'm starting to see where I could fix things.
My immediate impression is that your two main roads through the city are too close together. You can trace every tailback to two intersections: one down and to the left of the “M” in Marakest City, half-covered by an abandoned-building icon, and another one further down to the left just past the bend in the road and the not-yet-critical dead guy (also covered by an abandoned building).

It looks like the short sections of road that connect the two main thoroughfares at these points are filled up with traffic, presumably waiting for a red light, and that anyone trying to pass those intersection is being interrupted by that crossing traffic. This, in turn, creates queues that block other intersections further down the road(s). I can't quite make it out, but I'm guessing that these are two one-way 2-lane roads acting as your main strip? With that kind of construction, you almost have to make use of some kind of non-blocking crossing — either a sizeable roundabout or just nuking the traffic lights with a mod and hoping that your cims can navigate Parisian traffic. :D

By your description, it doesn't sound like it's a case of bad zoning — cargo trying to make its way between opposite corners — so you probably have to build your way out of it. If you use one of the many traffic query mods, you can poke the vehicles and try to figure out where they're coming from, where they're going, and why, and just build them a better route that doesn't take them straight through the city centre, but that's not as neat a solution.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Oct 7, 2015

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

For all the custom content frustration, this game is pretty.

Did you find a Little Rock, AR map?

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

Tippis posted:

My immediate impression is that your two main roads through the city are too close together. You can trace every tailback to two intersections: one down and to the left of the “M” in Marakest City, half-covered by an abandoned-building icon, and another one further down to the left just past the bend in the road and the not-yet-critical dead guy (also covered by an abandoned building).

It looks like the short sections of road that connect the two main thoroughfares at these points are filled up with traffic, presumably waiting for a red light, and that anyone trying to pass those intersection is being interrupted by that crossing traffic. This, in turn, creates queues that block other intersections further down the road(s). I can't quite make it out, but I'm guessing that these are two one-way 2-lane roads acting as your main strip? With that kind of construction, you almost have to make use of some kind of non-blocking crossing — either a sizeable roundabout or just nuking the traffic lights with a mod and hoping that your cims can navigate Parisian traffic. :D

By your description, it doesn't sound like it's a case of bad zoning — cargo trying to make its way between opposite corners — so you probably have to build your way out of it. If you use one of the many traffic query mods, you can poke the vehicles and try to figure out where they're coming from, where they're going, and why, and just build them a better route that doesn't take them straight through the city centre, but that's not as neat a solution.

Yeah, the strip is two one way 2-lane roads.

So more roundabouts instead of intersections along that strip, and it should help smooth things out. I can do that.
I kinda already have had "Parisian traffic" when testing different one way road configurations. Every time I forced traffic to go elsewhere and split up, I just moved the clogs around without fixing them. :cripes:

This helps, believe me. Despite using them to funnel traffic around the outskirts of the city, I never thought to put them inside the city. It just seems unnatural to me as an American.

Edit: Not sure it helps, but the main thoroughfares? It's trees and parking lots in the center. Not sure if that encourages people to walk more or not. But I have several giant parking structures too (I know they don't actually work like a real one, but they do have some spots). I've heard having parking encourages people to walk more.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Bel Monte posted:

Yeah, the strip is two one way 2-lane roads.

So more roundabouts instead of intersections along that strip, and it should help smooth things out. I can do that.
I kinda already have had "Parisian traffic" when testing different one way road configurations. Every time I forced traffic to go elsewhere and split up, I just moved the clogs around without fixing them. :cripes:

This helps, believe me. Despite using them to funnel traffic around the outskirts of the city, I never thought to put them inside the city. It just seems unnatural to me as an American.

Edit: Not sure it helps, but the main thoroughfares? It's trees and parking lots in the center. Not sure if that encourages people to walk more or not. But I have several giant parking structures too (I know they don't actually work like a real one, but they do have some spots). I've heard having parking encourages people to walk more.

Can we get a copy of the save file? Linking to your steam profile will let us see what mods you use, if you don't want to list all the assets.
Saves (and mods) are saved in %AppData%\Local\Colossal Order\Cities_Skylines

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Is there a way to set a neighborhood to the normal style when you're playing a map that has European style as default?

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

Dunno-Lars posted:

Can we get a copy of the save file? Linking to your steam profile will let us see what mods you use, if you don't want to list all the assets.
Saves (and mods) are saved in %AppData%\Local\Colossal Order\Cities_Skylines

I don't have any traffic mods. The only one that 'might' cause issues is this one.
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=426163185

Which just fiddles with the numbers without actually causing more traffic. And I can confirm prior to this that my traffic problems were the same. So it's achievable under a default game. The only thing that would be odd would be the higher number of residential I have in the city.

If you really want the save file though, I can do that. It's nothing special as a city. I'm purposely leaving out some uglier bits in pictures though.

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

Strategic Tea posted:

I've found this to be a good solution. Extend the highways with 2 lane oneway roads some cells down, around 40 or so (no hard rule on this, I just eyeball it). Then cap them off with T-junction using a regular 2 lane road. Avoid bigger roads since traffic lights will make your life miserable at this stage. Make sure you have at lest 4 cells between the oneway roads, or the close by T-junctions cause the traffic to do this weird stop'n'go dance.

Res & Com side
......|.....
----->|.....
<-----|.....
......|.....
Industry side

The gap between the RC and I sides should be around 40ish cells. This leaves fair margin for the next step. When you get to the city size where highways become available, your traffic should still work kinda OK. Save up some money or take a loan and use the highways & ramps to build a proper service interchange. This design, or a variation of it, is usually what I use as it can handle quite a bit of traffic.

Trick here is that the industrial side is linked with a 6 lane one-way road, that ends into three branching 2 lane one-way roads. This "traffic trident" spreads out the incoming traffic very effectively and causes virtually no jams. Just don't zone any industry on the trident branches or the 6 lane segment! Industry has couple dedicated off-ramps back to the highway and out of the city, and couple direct road connections to the R&C side for goods traffic. This keeps trucks on the highway and industrial side.

This solution does not scale to arbitrary size, so it's a good idea to start planning additional industrial areas once your city is getting to the 30-40k range.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

http://imgur.com/4M2WET9

I'm visiting Dusseldorf today, which seems to be a very C:S-ish place. Looking at the harbour though, I'm thinking about the game's somewhat poor coast terraforming tools and how badly roads and buildings interract with water. You can sink tonnes of hours with workshop assets to achieve a similar effect, but it's all hacks, really. I remember a similar issue with SC4, where a realistic urban coastline would also require hours of work and dozens of little hacks. It'd be great if they'd address this one day in Cities: Skylines: Coastlines.

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

Mokotow posted:

I'm visiting Dusseldorf today, which seems to be a very C:S-ish place. Looking at the harbour though, I'm thinking about the game's somewhat poor coast terraforming tools and how badly roads and buildings interract with water. You can sink tonnes of hours with workshop assets to achieve a similar effect, but it's all hacks, really. I remember a similar issue with SC4, where a realistic urban coastline would also require hours of work and dozens of little hacks. It'd be great if they'd address this one day in Cities: Skylines: Coastlines.

Seriously this. I hate plopping sea walls.
I really would like them to make some sort of customizable click drag water-wall thing. Realistic canals and everything then would be possible with transformer mods.

Is there any city out there that just ignores the coastline and just lets it be natural while building high density next to it?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

VostokProgram posted:

What map is that, and what trees are you using?

Naju, Korea is the map. Trees are Cherry Blossom Tree Adult, Pine Tree, Bamboo Tree, Yellow Ginkgo Tree, Red Japanese Maple Tree, Conifer 2, Green Ginkgo Tree, Bamboo Tree Cluster. Shroomblaze is the author for most of those? The tree section is pretty small.

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

Mokotow posted:

http://imgur.com/4M2WET9

Were that a DLC, I'd toss my credit card at Colossal Order so hard it'd leave earth orbit.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah I have little interest on day/night or most of the expansion things but money would fly out of my wallet for an expansion that nicely adressed shores.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
But the day/night cycle was free anyway :confused:

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?

Koesj posted:

But the day/night cycle was free anyway :confused:

HE SAID HE HAD NO INTEREST OKAY!??

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Bel Monte posted:

Seriously this. I hate plopping sea walls.
I really would like them to make some sort of customizable click drag water-wall thing. Realistic canals and everything then would be possible with transformer mods.

Is there any city out there that just ignores the coastline and just lets it be natural while building high density next to it?

I'm pretty sure every large city has completely terriformed the underground so that services can run down there. You get weird poo poo like rivers running through tunnels that nobody knows about anymore because they diverted it underground hundreds of years ago.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
Even a road with an overhanging sea wall attached would be good. Could that be modded?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
My guess is if making shorelines easy to make pretty weren't a technical nightmare then there would already be good mods for it. Wouldn't hold my breath waiting for that DLC but you never know.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I think the best solution would be to create a new sort of road which has sea wall style embankments. Hell, I just want roads to have steeper embankments anyways since on maps with rougher terrain the embankments oftentimes aren't deep enough to actually reach the ground.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I'd imagine a seashore DLC or expansion would probably also come with natural disasters, so you can build walls to protect from tsunamis and the like.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I'd imagine a seashore DLC or expansion would probably also come with natural disasters, so you can build walls to protect from tsunamis and the like.

I want to go full dutch with huge storm surge gates and locks and poo poo. Also massive working harbours the size of a city like Rotterdam.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
Earthquakes would be the best. Massive cracks and shifting elevations would make an interesting layout over time.

Or some other reason for them to add cliff side textures.

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

Was it on these forums that there was a thread by some traffic or road engineer chap? Can't seem to find the drat thread again, its missing from my bookmarks.

Edit: Nevermind, its right here, must have glanced over it: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3177805

Tindahbawx fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Oct 7, 2015

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Friction posted:

Trick here is that the industrial side is linked with a 6 lane one-way road, that ends into three branching 2 lane one-way roads. This "traffic trident" spreads out the incoming traffic very effectively and causes virtually no jams. Just don't zone any industry on the trident branches or the 6 lane segment! Industry has couple dedicated off-ramps back to the highway and out of the city, and couple direct road connections to the R&C side for goods traffic. This keeps trucks on the highway and industrial side.

I really dig this. It's neat and simple, and as a bonus, it's one of the few use cases I can see for the one-way 6-lane road: to feed into a split. I never found it particularly useful for carrying large amounts of traffic for long distances — any time you'd want that, a freeway seems to be the far better option due to how traffic behaves on it and due to its inherent lack of red lights.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tippis posted:

I really dig this. It's neat and simple, and as a bonus, it's one of the few use cases I can see for the one-way 6-lane road: to feed into a split. I never found it particularly useful for carrying large amounts of traffic for long distances — any time you'd want that, a freeway seems to be the far better option due to how traffic behaves on it and due to its inherent lack of red lights.

I like 1 way 6 lane roads for industrial zones - the freeway is a better option traffic wise but you can't zone along it either.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Moridin920 posted:

I like 1 way 6 lane roads for industrial zones - the freeway is a better option traffic wise but you can't zone along it either.

That's what I like about the Network Extensions Project mod. Gives you One-Way 3-lane and 4-lane roads that you can zone along (also 6-lane highways, but haven't found a real use for those yet)

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Moridin920 posted:

I suppose. I just don't like zoning along 6-lanes to begin with unless it's offices. At most, I use that space for services that provide happiness but that don't generate much in the way of traffic (subways, parks, the occasional unique building).

Icedude posted:

That's what I like about the Network Extensions Project mod. Gives you One-Way 3-lane and 4-lane roads that you can zone along (also 6-lane highways, but haven't found a real use for those yet)

Maybe a highway where each direction has tons of on- and off-ramps on both sides of the road? That would give you a near-constant merging lane on each side and four lanes for passing through in the middle.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Any mod recommendations purely for assets? I've already got the essential traffic tweaks and whatnot installed, I'm just looking for eye candy when it's night now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Any mod recommendations purely for assets? I've already got the essential traffic tweaks and whatnot installed, I'm just looking for eye candy when it's night now.

Anything by Gula is golden. If I remember correctly he was one of Sim lovely's artists, and now makes money via patreon making a far better city maker prettier.