Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

I wouldn't call it paranoid, they are being tracked by Google and the Government. Google Now is scary for a lot of people because they never think about how much Google really knows about them, and with Now it becomes kind of obvious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

BJPaskoff posted:

I've been playing around with the iPhone 6S+ and haven't been really impressed. It's just an iPhone... but bigger. When I started out with the iPhone plan, it was because Android wasn't getting games and apps nearly as fast as iOS devices. These days I don't play any games on my phone, and it seems the days of iOS exclusive apps aren't gone, but nearly there. When's the last time you guys were frustrated over Android not getting an app or having a delay?

I've decided on a Nexus 6P, but unfortunately ProjectFi says it's going to take as long to set up as the Nexus 6P takes to release.

Google Hangouts, Google Maps, YouTube :negative:

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Premature ejacula- posted:

A few people I've asked about Google Now are paranoid about being tracked by Google and the Government. That doesn't mean they don't use Chrome and Google search or opt out of Google's location services. Or use a vpn for that matter, now that Australia has metadata retention laws.

If Google is going to have all of my personal data they may as feed it to something that I get to use too, like Now.

Send them over to https://www.google.com/dashboard so they can freak out and promptly delete their accounts.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Looking at google maps timeline is a humbling experience, and a bit 1984.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

this_is_hard posted:

Settings->Backup & Reset->Factory Data Reset

Somehow I expected this to need some ADB fuckery but this seems to be working out fine. Thanks!

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

BJPaskoff posted:

When's the last time you guys were frustrated over Android not getting an app or having a delay?

Hasn't happened in a long time.

Have you looked at the Nexus 6? It supports wireless charging and works on Fi right now.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

IOwnCalculus posted:

Updated my Nexus 6 from the M preview to Marshmallow (via adb), now about half of my apps are constantly crashing. Clearly I went and hosed something up :saddowns:

If I have to, I don't mind wiping the phone and starting fresh; what's the best way to do that?

You must've done something non-standard, as the supported way to install marshmallow involves running a flash-all script which wipes the phone anyway.

How did you upgrade?

You can keep you app data if you're willing to go back to a backup, root, run titanium to backup, then transfer to your computer.

Then install M properly, root, transfer your backups, run titanium to restore, then re-flash the stock system image.

Convoluted, but works perfectly.

Magog posted:

I suppose if you are just doing a normal search it's now marginally faster to go to the search bar by pressing the overview button rather than long press home.

What is the overview button?

wooger fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Oct 7, 2015

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

BJPaskoff posted:

When's the last time you guys were frustrated over Android not getting an app or having a delay?

Hangouts 4 just a little while ago :v:

I really didn't care, but I know some people did.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I recently lost my phone and used the remote lock feature in Android Device Manager. I've got my phone back now, and want to change the lock feature back to Swipe like it was originally. I've changed it to Pattern Unlock so I don't have to type in the super long password I created in Device Manager but the phone isn't letting me select "None" or "Swipe". It says "Disabled by administrator, encryption policy or credential storage".

How do I fix this? (Nexus 5)

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Try unchecking Android Device Manager under Settings - Security - Phone administrators, change the lockscreen to slide, then recheck ADM

Must Love Dogs
May 6, 2005

and the sky is filled with light can you see it?

So, how bad is the OnePlus 2? I've got a OnePlus One that I've generally been happy with. I just got an invite but I've already preordered a Nexus 5X.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

dissss posted:

Try unchecking Android Device Manager under Settings - Security - Phone administrators, change the lockscreen to slide, then recheck ADM

I disable ADM but the Swipe/None options are still greyed out. Also tried restarting the phone but that did nothing.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

Must Love Dogs posted:

So, how bad is the OnePlus 2? I've got a OnePlus One that I've generally been happy with. I just got an invite but I've already preordered a Nexus 5X.

Legendarily bad.

Must Love Dogs
May 6, 2005

and the sky is filled with light can you see it?

Adenoid Dan posted:

Legendarily bad.

Are we talking G2X levels of bad?

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

amenenema posted:

I know one reason I want a true silent mode - I have a smartwatch (Garmin Vivoactive) and it vibrates for notifications. I have no way of having ONLY the watch vibrate. So for almost a year now I've had my phone buzz immediately followed by my wrist buzzing. It's Pavlovian in a way...

No notifications doesn't work in this scenario because they don't get pushed to the watch. Will Marshmallow fix this?

Android Wear has an option for this on the phone app, but it doesn't look like that smartwatch uses Android Wear. Does the Garmin companion app not have a similar feature?

I don't see a way to do this built in to M, but I'm still on preview 3.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

xcore posted:

I disable ADM but the Swipe/None options are still greyed out. Also tried restarting the phone but that did nothing.

You might have to do Clear All Credentials in Security

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

incoherent posted:

Looking at google maps timeline is a humbling experience, and a bit 1984.

Yep. Looked at it the other day. "You were at HuHot for lunch between 11:56am and 12:32pm"

Uhhh, thanks? Wonder how long it will take lawyers to subpoena this info?

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

baka kaba posted:

You might have to do Clear All Credentials in Security

That sounds scary. What does that do exactly? Do I need to do anything afterwards?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

If Google is going to have all of my personal data they may as feed it to something that I get to use too, like Now.

This is exactly why I love Now. They're going to collect this data anyway, why would I not want to benefit from it?

Must Love Dogs posted:

Nothing will ever be as bad as the G2x.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Hasn't happened in a long time.

Have you looked at the Nexus 6? It supports wireless charging and works on Fi right now.

The 6 might be a little too big? I don't know. I applied for Fi, but it said it'll take 3-4 weeks for my invite to kick in.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

xcore posted:

That sounds scary. What does that do exactly? Do I need to do anything afterwards?

As far as I know it clears all the user-installed certificates in the certificate store, which for most people won't be any - you might have had to add some for like a work VPN or school WiFi or something, I don't know

I had this issue before and that's how I fixed it, but I don't know what's at risk - you should probably read around and see what you think, especially if your phone is encrypted. I'm just pointing you in a possible direction!

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

A few people I've asked about Google Now are paranoid about being tracked by Google and the Government. That doesn't mean they don't use Chrome and Google search or opt out of Google's location services. Or use a vpn for that matter, now that Australia has metadata retention laws.

They'll be fine if they just go on Google+ and post "I hereby declare that Google cannot access the personal information I type in Google searches"

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Sir Lemming posted:

They'll be fine if they just go on Google+ and post "I hereby declare that Google cannot access the personal information I type in Google searches"

:golfclap:

Well done

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

So for the past two days I have been trying an iPhone 6s because I wanted a not huge phone with a great camera. This phone is for literal babies. Every single icon on the home screen because pressing a menu button would be too confusing. Widgets? Lol no way too confusing. Except for adding music. That you have to be a master of iTunes to get music on your phone. Because a simple drag and drop into a drive on your computer would be so ineffective.

So in closing, are there any smaller in size android phones with really good cameras I should look at besides the Galaxy S6?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Tiny Lowtax posted:

So for the past two days I have been trying an iPhone 6s because I wanted a not huge phone with a great camera. This phone is for literal babies. Every single icon on the home screen because pressing a menu button would be too confusing. Widgets? Lol no way too confusing. Except for adding music. That you have to be a master of iTunes to get music on your phone. Because a simple drag and drop into a drive on your computer would be so ineffective.

So in closing, are there any smaller in size android phones with really good cameras I should look at besides the Galaxy S6?

Nexus 5X? Xperia Z5 Compact? That's about it.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

cebrail posted:

I wouldn't call it paranoid, they are being tracked by Google and the Government. Google Now is scary for a lot of people because they never think about how much Google really knows about them, and with Now it becomes kind of obvious.

Sure we all are, but that is mostly happening at the provider level, not so much the OS/Google level (still happening there too as the Snowden reveals have shown), because it is far easier to collect the data without interference there, tidily packed up with a bow on top. You are being watched, but outside of ditching cell phones for good there isn't much you can do. Even Securephone and similar stuff will still communicate enough data to your provider to make you trackable and quantifiable.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

hotsauce posted:

Nexus 5X? Xperia Z5 Compact? That's about it.

This is the sad state of android phones we're in when nowadays a thing like the Nexus 5X is considered small.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's a good size and the UI fits it well. Android looks squished on smaller screens.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Moto G3 is comparable in size to an iPhone 6.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

bronin posted:

This is the sad state of android phones we're in when nowadays a thing like the Nexus 5X is considered small.

It is barely bigger than the iphone 6s.

Certainly my old Nexus 5 is an almost identical size to a 6s, though slightly wider, and with smaller bezels.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

wooger posted:

It is barely bigger than the iphone 6s.

Certainly my old Nexus 5 is an almost identical size to a 6s, though slightly wider, and with smaller bezels.

http://www.phonearena.com/phones/size#/phones/size/Apple-iPhone-6s,Google-Nexus-5X/phones/9501,9593

By that metric the Nexus 6 is barely bigger than the Nexus 5X.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Must Love Dogs posted:

Worse. It's Apple Maps bad.

But seriously I don't think it's really bad, just not nearly worth the upgrade from the OPO.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

mobby_6kl posted:

But seriously I don't think it's really bad, just not nearly worth the upgrade from the OPO.

There's basically no Android phone this year that's really worth the upgrade from last year's equivalent - SoCs just haven't gotten much better for ~2 years.

OP2 specifically seems worse in most respects though, and we now have more reason to doubt OnePlus, the company.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

bronin posted:

This. The 5x is a huge phone. The z5c is a good choice but I had the z3c and didn't think it was worth the hefty price tag attached to it. Plus I can't finance it through a carrier like I can the s6.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

wooger posted:

There's basically no Android phone this year that's really worth the upgrade from last year's equivalent - SoCs just haven't gotten much better for ~2 years.

Yup! My Sony Z3 is still a hell of a phone, and although it's not top-spec any longer, it doesn't have any weaknesses. Which is something you can't say about many phones.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

Worse. It's Apple Maps bad.

Maaaan, I don't think you used a G2X. That thing was a tire fire in a phone. It was telephony Hitler. Idi Amin with a screen.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Tiny Lowtax posted:

This. The 5x is a huge phone. The z5c is a good choice but I had the z3c and didn't think it was worth the hefty price tag attached to it. Plus I can't finance it through a carrier like I can the s6.

This, exactly right here, is why there aren't decent small phones.

The Z3C was priced in line with other flagship phones and it had flagship internals (which is one of the reasons why it was priced where it was.) I mean, Sony launched it in the US for $530 which is not out of line for the device with its specs.

If you want flagship internals in a small form factor you need to be prepared to pay flagship prices (or possibly even more due to increased engineering involved in getting those internals in a small package.)

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

hotsauce posted:

Yep. Looked at it the other day. "You were at HuHot for lunch between 11:56am and 12:32pm"

Uhhh, thanks? Wonder how long it will take lawyers to subpoena this info?

Wanna go to huhot again for dinner today? :bigtran:

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Does anyone have a nice 1 click way to download pictures from gmail to the google photos, direct to a new/existing album would be even better?
Right now there is a nice 1 click to move to drive. But you get to drive, and along the side has photos, but I'm not seeing a way to interact with that. I'm looking for a way to do it on the computer, figured ya'll are deep enough into the ecosystem it wasn't too far outside of this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

bronin posted:

My whole 2013 Moto X fits within the screen of a Nexus 6p