Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
There was a really cheap looking Terminator-licensed generic building block set back a few years ago with some of things like the HKs from a company called Best Lock.

Surprisingly, there was a Genisys-themed Megabloks set that came out that looks pretty good to me, but the Spider-Terminator is about the only thing, and even that is something that at first glance doesn't instantly make me think of Terminator.

I'm pretty sure the traditional HK-styled machines were in Genisys, but maybe the toy rights for building blocks versions of some things might still be tied up with other people?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."
I got those Terminator Mega Bloks, they're really good. Imported them from american Amazon.com as can't get them over here in the UK, and weirdly there aren't any on ebay.

Spider Tank is awesome, as is Arnold and his time machine. And its great having T-800 endosksleton figures, especially as they are armed with the T2 style plasma rifles rather than the big plasma guns they used in Genisys. And the Prisoner Transport set has a bunch of Resistance troops, including the likenesses of John Connor and Kyle Reese. (Though would rather have Michael Biehn for Kyle than Jai Courtney, heh.)

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bingewatching The Sarah Connor Chronicles.

Still owns.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Yvonmukluk posted:

Does anyone know if the rights reverting back to Cameron will clear up this clusterfuck?
You know that's a really good question. I'd like to think ALL the rights will revert back to Cameron, but everything is so fractured and piecemeal that who knows?
Like for spin off comics and whatnot, there's specific, individual licensing for the individual movies. It's the reason why T-1000s never showed up in the Dark Horse ones, because they specifically had the rights to "The Terminator" (first movie) only.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Xenomrph posted:

You know that's a really good question. I'd like to think ALL the rights will revert back to Cameron, but everything is so fractured and piecemeal that who knows?
Like for spin off comics and whatnot, there's specific, individual licensing for the individual movies. It's the reason why T-1000s never showed up in the Dark Horse ones, because they specifically had the rights to "The Terminator" (first movie) only.

I'll be honest I'm not actually sure of all the legalese that led to the rights being fractured or why Cameron is getting them back.

Presumably it'll be at least the stuff from the first movie, including the T-800, Terminator name & endoskeleton design, & maybe (since Cameron also made T2) the T-1000?

Or, since all of the movies & branding are derived from the original 1984 movie, Cameron gets it all.

Do we have a law talking guy who can clear this up? Google has failed me (although it did tell me that Terminator Yahtzee is a thing that exists:wtc:).

I mean according to wikipedia Cameron will be 'beneficiary of changes to the series', whatever that means.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Jenny Angel posted:

Honestly my favorite part of Clarke in this was when he was slouching in a sweater over a button down at the CyberDyne offices making chill dad jokes with his pals. If you want to cast someone who's a bit of a doof but has a lot of menace just underneath that, Clarke is one of your best options right now.

He's pretty awesome in Zero Dark Thirty as the CIA interrogator. He's charming and affable one moment, then he's chaining you up like a dog and forcing you into a box the next.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Young Freud posted:

He's pretty awesome in Zero Dark Thirty as the CIA interrogator. He's charming and affable one moment, then he's chaining you up like a dog and forcing you into a box the next.

Funny, I watched Zero Dark Thirty and Terminator Genisys back-to-back on a plane ride. Can't recommend listening to 911 distress calls about the Twin Towers attack while on a plane.

Genisys, though, I really liked! I'm a huge T2 fan - the parts I enjoyed the most about T2 were the T100 interacting with the Connors. This film continues that pretty well, which is all I'd really hoped for. The 'caring' lines Pops uses totally landed for me, particularly the climax. I think it's a good movie, certainly above T3 & Salvation. It has it's flaws, but through the lens of my expectation, I was satisfied. Through the lens of ' accomplishing what the producers / director tried to achieve', I think it's also a success.

Also, whoever called Kyle Reese's Nikes are ugly can meet me in the carpark.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Yvonmukluk posted:

I'll be honest I'm not actually sure of all the legalese that led to the rights being fractured or why Cameron is getting them back.

Presumably it'll be at least the stuff from the first movie, including the T-800, Terminator name & endoskeleton design, & maybe (since Cameron also made T2) the T-1000?

Or, since all of the movies & branding are derived from the original 1984 movie, Cameron gets it all.

Do we have a law talking guy who can clear this up? Google has failed me (although it did tell me that Terminator Yahtzee is a thing that exists:wtc:).

I mean according to wikipedia Cameron will be 'beneficiary of changes to the series', whatever that means.
I don't know the history of the rights trading hands or getting broken apart and sold piecemeal, but I know Cameron sold the rights to 'The Terminator' before the first movie was even made, just to finance the movie. I'll do some digging on some Terminator fan sites and see if I can't piece together a rough timeline of who owned what.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Yvonmukluk posted:

\

This just means that he will benefit when the rights change. But I don't think it changes oddities like not being able to use the specific model number T-800 in T3 and up, or how Marvel owns the comic book rights to Terminator 2: Judgement Day story and versions of characters only and things like that. Pretty sure this is just the rights to make a Terminator film with the endoskeleton/T-1000/John Connor/whatever type robots in it.

What Xenomrph says is correct. Cameron sold the rights to the Terminator to Gale Ann Hurd/Hemdale Film Corporation for $1 in exchange for being allowed to direct the movie and get it funded. After that it bounced around a lot, Hemdale was losing money in the late 80s, at which point Cameron directed The Abyss which gave him the confidence needed for the effects work that his vision for T2 would require. Also at this point Arnold was a huge star and basically told Mario Kassar to buy the rights form Hemdale so that he/Cameron/Linda Hamilton could do T2, which is how Carolco got it. Then Carolco/Kassar produced Cutthroat Island and went out of business. After that it bounced around a bit, but ended up in the hands of "Carolco" again. The "C2 Productions" that produced Terminator 3 was in fact run by Kassar and Vajna, now you know why it's called "C2."

C2 basically was formed by a bunch of dudes rich enough to produce flicks on their own just to make money off of Terminator 3, and I think they all went their separate ways after, with the franchise rights then going to Moritz Borman, who then arranged for it to be transferred to Halcyon, who produced Terminator: Salvation. This was to be the start of a trilogy. Halcyon went bankrupt due to constant legal troubles because they went so over budget they were a million+ in the hole and failed to pay Mortiz Borman like $100 million+ they owed him for securing the franchise along with other people they owed money to. Though whether this was a real thing or just Hollywood accounting so that Borman and the other Halcyon producers could walk away with tons of money is unknown (but probable).

Either way, with Salvation being a terrible film and getting a terrible reception that killed the trilogy and Halcyon was done, so it bounced around a lot. In 2010 it was in the hands of Pacificor, and an animated film called Terminator 3000 was announced but nothing happened beyond that. Then in 2011 Universal had it an announced it was "considering" a fifth film with Arnold coming back and having Justin Lin direct it (what could have been...). But later that year it ended up in the hands of the Ellisons who made a huge bid on it after Universal didn't get a script off the ground, leading up to the trilogy we have now that has begun with Genisys.

Each time it changed hands in those earlier days, something got left behind, like being able to outright say the model number T-800. I haven't seen Genisys yet but is it mentioned specifically in that movie? I feel like James Cameron personally would get back everything/no one would really be in a position to stop him from using whatever in it because he's got enough $$$ to license or buy out whatever.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Sep 14, 2015

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

I know that one of the promotional videos for Genisys says T-800. I think it might also say it in the film itself, when you see young Arnold's vision and it scans old Arnold.

And they definitely say T-1000. So I think that for Genisys they decided it was worth paying extra to get permission from the various people and companies to use all the various names.

While in Sarah Connor Chronicles they never give the liquid metal terminator a name. And behind the scenes they called it a T-1001 to avoid any issues.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I don't know if they speak the name T-800 in Genisys, but the word shows up on the screen during the POV shot of retro 1984 Arnold analyzing old Arnold when he first appears just before they throw down.

Incidentally the endoskeletons in the future war stuff in Genisys are actually different from the "classic" T-800 endoskeletons, but I don't know if that's an intentional artistic/stylistic choice or if it was some kind of rights thing. Retro 1984 Arnold gets reduced to his base endoskeleton but I don't know if we get a good enough look at it to know if it's sporting the Genisys redesign or if they kept the classic design for it.

Edit-- found the scene on YouTube, 1984 Arnold is definitely using the endoskeleton redesign.
http://youtu.be/cyL9gKSc8G4

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Sep 15, 2015

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I'm not sure why they bothered throwing out the old Plasma Rifle designs as well, I don't think they'd come under copyright. I mean, they used them in TSCC as well.

Here's hoping 2019 finally gives us clarification on this mess.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Well, take this with a grain of salt, but apparently the Terminator franchise 'is on hold indefinitely'. So I guess that's it until at least 2019.

Welp.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
In 2019 they can release a film adaptation of the Terminator: 2029 video game.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Well, take this with a grain of salt, but apparently the Terminator franchise 'is on hold indefinitely'. So I guess that's it until at least 2019.

Welp.

Oh thank god.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Film cost 150 million to produce, made 440 million, and I got to see another terminator movie. Sounds like a win to me.

The thing about Hollywood is that nothing is a good movie when they compare it to paranormal activity where 5 million can make you 150 million.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

List of positive contributions Terminator Genisys made to the franchise:
1)The soundtrack's decent enough I guess?
2)We got a Terminator minis game for the first time since the early 90s and it's pretty decent (and you could cross out the Genisys part of the title and be perfectly fine)
3)Raised awareness of The Sarah Connor Chronicles due to clickbait articles based around the Game of Thrones connection or pointing out how the show is probably the best non-Cameron addition to the franchise.
4)The creation of this informative video.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

Lurdiak posted:

Oh thank god.

It might change after DVD/BluRay totals are taken into account. If Paramount does indeed greenlight a sequel, they might want to get rid of Alan Taylor.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Immortan posted:

It might change after DVD/BluRay totals are taken into account. If Paramount does indeed greenlight a sequel, they might want to get rid of Alan Taylor.
To be fair, considering the widespread dislike felt for the movie, I wouldn't expect a very large market for the DVDs, except for die-hard completionists or confused Grandmas (or 'The Asylum demographic'). So they might as well make the call now.

Honestly I think they might want to just plain start over from scratch rather than make a sequel to Genisys.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Yvonmukluk posted:

To be fair, considering the widespread dislike felt for the movie, I wouldn't expect a very large market for the DVDs, except for die-hard completionists or confused Grandmas (or 'The Asylum demographic'). So they might as well make the call now.

Honestly I think they might want to just plain start over from scratch rather than make a sequel to Genisys.

Terminator G is not widely disliked.

It went largely unseen, probably because of bad marketing, and was derided by rottentomatoes critics. The majority of people who actually saw the film enjoyed it, because it's exceedingly well-made.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

...except that Terminator fans do not like Terminator?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Yvonmukluk posted:

List of positive contributions Terminator Genisys made to the franchise:
1)The soundtrack's decent enough I guess?

I don't even remember a single song from it.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

MrMojok posted:

Well yeah; most people are not Terminator fans. That's why Yvonmukluk hasn't encountered their positive opinions online.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

MrMojok posted:

Don't touch the poop, it's not worth it.

Stairmaster posted:

I don't even remember a single song from it.

Well, there's The Terminator Theme...ok, I'll level with you, that's the only song I've listened to off it, I only put that on to be nice.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I thought the movie was average. I really liked Jason Clarke. But Jai Courtney really dragged it down.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

blackguy32 posted:

I thought the movie was average. I really liked Jason Clarke. But Jai Courtney really dragged it down.

Yeah, I mean for all the complaints about her acting, as others have pointed out, Emilia Clarke at least bears some physical resemblance to 1984 Linda Hamilton. Whereas there's virtually no resemblace between Courtney and Biehn at all. He looks like he'd have been better cast as a Terminator than as a resistance fighter who lives in a hole in the ground and eats garbage for dinner.

Did they seriously have nobody else who answered the casting call that could act better, or at least looked more like someone who was too busy hiding from terminators to hit the gym and drink protein shakes every day.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I will happily eat crow about Emilia Clarke. She isn't tough but she's got a lot of personality.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
I'd say Jai Courtney being buff makes sense because I mean Skynet's loving army of bodybuilder Arnolds would have to draw inspiration from somewhere to create his image, right?

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

Yvonmukluk posted:

2)We got a Terminator minis game for the first time since the early 90s and it's pretty decent (and you could cross out the Genisys part of the title and be perfectly fine)

The terminator miniatures game is fantastic and even though I liked the movie, I think the minis game is the best thing to have resulted from Genisys. The rules and gameplay are so drat good. I haven't been into wargames since I was a kid in the 90s, yet next month I am driving across the UK to take part in the first official Terminator tournament.

I'm spending crazy money on all the extra characters and models they've released on their webstore. John Connor, Arnold, (Sarah Connor is out of stock :( ), T-1000, special endoskeketons armed with flamethrowers and missile launchers... Next week they are releasing Arnold on a motorcycle, the HK spider tank, and a new set of resin resistance soldiers. 6 torsos, 14 heads (mixture of male & female, and couple of damaged terminator heads for infiltrators), and huge choice of weapons and accessories such as 7 plasma rifles (3 of them worn on slings on someone's back), a sniper rifle, dual pistols, a command radio, a cigar (!), and 2 miniguns (1 hanging on someone's back). So you can have badass lady soldier wearing a minigun on her back, barking orders into a radio while smoking a cigar. TAKE MY MONEY.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Jai Courtney is the current Sam Worthington "hey we're making a mainstream action movie and everyone else said no, slot this dude in and we can save some money" guy. Kinda hilarious that the last two Terminator movies relied on that.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Parachute posted:

I'd say Jai Courtney being buff makes sense because I mean Skynet's loving army of bodybuilder Arnolds would have to draw inspiration from somewhere to create his image, right?
I always figured that the reason the T-800s are all bodybuilders are because that's the smallest size they could fit an endoskeleton under the living flesh (at least at first). It's only with later refinements to the technology (the T-X in T3, or the T-888s/Cameron in TSCC) that Skynet is able to make endoskeletons of varying proportions to more effectively blend in, presumably because the tradeoffs in reach and leverage can be compensated for by increased strength/durability over an Arnold-pattern T-800. Not to mention that later models are superior infilitrators anyway - T-800s aren't exactly known for being terribly personable. Compare the shapeshifting T-1000, or Cameron, who was tailor-made to replace an existing individual, which could presumably undertake more complicated infiltration missions than 'find group of humans>kill all humans'. The largely uniform build probably didn't help in that regard - Reese hadn't seen an Arnold model before, but he was already suspicious of him in Tech-Noir on account of his build.

I mean, in the original script Reese was supposed to be the big guy and the Terminator was meant to look unassuming, but considering we're somehow supposed to believe Jai Courtney is more-or-less the same guy as Michael Biehn is utterly ridiculous.

your evil twin posted:

The terminator miniatures game is fantastic and even though I liked the movie, I think the minis game is the best thing to have resulted from Genisys. The rules and gameplay are so drat good. I haven't been into wargames since I was a kid in the 90s, yet next month I am driving across the UK to take part in the first official Terminator tournament.

I'm spending crazy money on all the extra characters and models they've released on their webstore. John Connor, Arnold, (Sarah Connor is out of stock :( ), T-1000, special endoskeketons armed with flamethrowers and missile launchers... Next week they are releasing Arnold on a motorcycle, the HK spider tank, and a new set of resin resistance soldiers. 6 torsos, 14 heads (mixture of male & female, and couple of damaged terminator heads for infiltrators), and huge choice of weapons and accessories such as 7 plasma rifles (3 of them worn on slings on someone's back), a sniper rifle, dual pistols, a command radio, a cigar (!), and 2 miniguns (1 hanging on someone's back). So you can have badass lady soldier wearing a minigun on her back, barking orders into a radio while smoking a cigar. TAKE MY MONEY.
I've sadly not had any chance to play it myself, but I'm hoping to introduce it at my local gaming club and see if anybody bites.

Also, protip: the Pegasus Hobbies T2 Hunter Killer gunship is apparently close enough in scale to the minis that it might as well be compatible (not 1:32, as it says on the box). I'm planning to get one.

I only wish that I had the talent to actually paint all my minis without them looking like rear end. Still, at least they thoughtfully released the models in different coloured plastic so you're dealing with seas of grey (looking at you, Games Workshop).

I've even had one or two ideas for conversion or fan rules (like maybe giving Reese a Biehn-style haircut, converting a 1984 Sarah into Cameron by giving her a haircut and an appropriate paintjob, maybe get a pack of Wargames Factory survivors to convert a Lena Headey Sarah Connor as well as a bunch of Terminators infiltrating the past/present and then figure out the appropriate rules/wait for the 1984 expansion for 'past' missions)

Man, it sucks that they only have the Genesys licence. I mean, that still gives them enough to make a solid game, but think of all the cool stuff they could use if the rights were all in one place.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Gynises has the ability to simultaneously upload its software to a billion people worldwide, but apparently not to preload the software to a single device? And they also apparently didn't make a single copy of the software or have a single person working at Genesys HQ on the night before its big unveiling.

Kyle was in the past for like 12 hours and knew about time travel for about 18 hours total and he's having philosophical discussions about the nature of fate with John Connorbot.

Also, for all the talk about "shooting first," the characters spent a lot of time just standing around and chatting with the termi...

you know what, gently caress Geniesis. Just gently caress it.

doodlebugs
Feb 18, 2015

by Lowtax
I liked the twist in Terminator 2 when Arnie wasn't the bad guy

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

The Arnie-is-good twist in Terminator 2 is one of those things that I have to wonder how many people actually experienced as a twist. It was revealed in the contemporary trailers, described on the back of the VHS and DVD boxes, and seems to be a part of modern pop-culture knowledge of the movie.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sir Kodiak posted:

The Arnie-is-good twist in Terminator 2 is one of those things that I have to wonder how many people actually experienced as a twist. It was revealed in the contemporary trailers, described on the back of the VHS and DVD boxes, and seems to be a part of modern pop-culture knowledge of the movie.

I honestly had no idea. I was like 14 when I saw it, had never seen the trailers, just one commercial. Mom rewarded me by renting it for me the weekend it was out and it came home in a clear case so I knew nothing other than I was about to have the most badass time ever.

doodlebugs
Feb 18, 2015

by Lowtax

Sir Kodiak posted:

I watched it in the theatre not knowing that and only watched it because I was bored.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Sir Kodiak posted:

I showed the Terminator series to my girlfriend about two years ago (she'd only seen Salvation) and she had no idea that Arnold would be the good robot in T2. She also had no idea that he'd have to sacrifice himself and literally said "I hope he doesn't fall into the lava :ohdear:" near the end of the film.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Sir Kodiak posted:

I hadn't heard it before coming on here but I was never really interested in the Terminator series.

Also I think it loses some of its punch if you don't see the original film first, and lots of people probably haven't seen that.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So, turns out they're still planning to try and polish that turd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Ah, so they're going to make a cheaper movie intentionally made for international audiences like the last Die Hard movie.

• Locked thread