Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

emanresu tnuocca posted:

And the genre, and the time travel, and the whole assassin from the future sent to murder a child who'd grow up to be a meaningful persona in the future, and predestination themes, etc, etc.

Nobody is saying that the movies are identical or that looper plagiarizes the terminator franchise, they're saying that there are some interesting parallels and that looper draws some inspiration from terminator, and people seem to have got this without difficulty, perhaps you are being unnecessarily obtuse?
Naw, it's puerile to compare a recent movie to some other movie which is a stand-alone classic, simply becuaes they both have one tangentially-related thing. THere are a ton of time travel movies you could choose to compare terminator to, or looper to, but saying "Bruce Willis is basically the terminator in Looper" is pretty absurd.

I could just as easily say Chappie is Number 5 from Short Circuit, and at least there would be actual parallels to be drawn past "hey they both have robots!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

But there are a lot of really obvious parallels between Looper and The Terminator besides just "time travel". Some posters have even listed them on this very page.

I personally don't think it's the strongest connection, but it's still a pretty intuitive connection to make.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

My memory of Looper isn't that great, but the scene where he drives into a neighborhood and kills some kid reminded me of Arnold killing the first Sarah Connor in T1, with the massive difference that Bruce Willis is temporarily demoralized when reality doesn't change in response.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Immortan posted:

Terminator Genisys makes $27M + in China on just a Friday, fourth largest ever in that country. Projected for around a 75M weekend. http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2015/08/23/box-office-terminator-genisys-opens-with-massive-26-6m-in-china/

For the haters of this movie:

Well I hope whoever made Genisys will hopefully take the critical drubbing they got on board and try and make the sequels (that let's be honest were probably coming anyway before the rights reverted) actaully semi-decent movies.

Oh well, at least I'll still have my Sarah Connor Chronicles DVDs either way.

Actually I heard they're planning another TV series, anyone know what the deal is there?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Motto posted:

My memory of Looper isn't that great, but the scene where he drives into a neighborhood and kills some kid reminded me of Arnold killing the first Sarah Connor in T1, with the massive difference that Bruce Willis is temporarily demoralized when reality doesn't change in response.

Don't forget the scene where he single-handedly murders almost all of the gang in the club, because that's some Terminator poo poo right there.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."
I'm watching the Sarah Connor Chronicles for the first time. Terminator Genysis seems like a cliff notes movie version of the show's ideas.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

WarLocke posted:

Genesis seems to indicate that there's only the one timeline, since Kyle gets sent back to '84 but everything is changed because there's already terminators and poo poo around years before that.

If it was multiple/branching timelines then Pops and the 'early T-1000' would have been shunted off into their own timelines when they were sent back, but instead everyone ends up in the same one.

e: Unless you go with some wacky branching tree timeline where going forward adds branches but going back consolidates them, so you have multiple different futures ending up in one shared 'root' but that would quickly get insane with like hundreds of T-800s showing up in '84 and oww my head...

I know this post is a bit old, but I just wanted to respond that it's how I've always imagined time travel to work. Travel back in time and you are climbing down the branches. Travel forward again and you move up through the branches. Means that even if you don't change a single thing you might end up in a wildly different future.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Senor Tron posted:

I know this post is a bit old, but I just wanted to respond that it's how I've always imagined time travel to work. Travel back in time and you are climbing down the branches. Travel forward again and you move up through the branches. Means that even if you don't change a single thing you might end up in a wildly different future.

I think it's impossible not to change anything if you go back/down because the past will already be altered by you being there.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
The two timelines (future and past) co-existing and moving at the same rate makes the most sense to me. If the future was constantly changing and updating, there'd be a million Terminators coming back to the same point in time. Bill Paxton would be crushed beneath the weight of nude Arnolds fighting over his pants.

...now I want to see that movie. James Cameron's Terminators.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

ghostwritingduck posted:

I'm watching the Sarah Connor Chronicles for the first time. Terminator Genysis seems like a cliff notes movie version of the show's ideas.

Considering that Josh Friedman is currently working with James Cameron on Avatar 2, my wish is that when Cameron gets the rights back he'll let Friedman make a TV movie to wrap up the series. Or they'll team up on a new film.

It'll never happen, but a man can dream.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Cameron is getting the Terminator rights back in 2019 by default.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

coyo7e posted:

Uhh wow, you've literally never seen anything which involves time paradoxes or read any books at all, have you? I mean - ever? And you're also a high school english teacher throwing goofy-rear end and extremely-personal symbolism at us and assuming we all view everything the same way you do? :laugh:

I don't really have any strong feelings about Looper one way the other but the amount of smug condescension reeking of this paragraph is incredible.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Honestly my favorite part of Clarke in this was when he was slouching in a sweater over a button down at the CyberDyne offices making chill dad jokes with his pals. If you want to cast someone who's a bit of a doof but has a lot of menace just underneath that, Clarke is one of your best options right now.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Xenomrph posted:

Cameron is getting the Terminator rights back in 2019 by default.

I know that bit, hence why I kind of hope he and Friedman join forces to making :krad: Terminator films. But I can't see them launching a revitalization of TSCC over 10 years after it ended (has it really been that long?), plus whatever further damage is done to the franchise by the rushed-out sequels to Genesys. Still it seems like most of the cast got along and enjoyed the show, them all coming back after so long seems a tall order.

I kind of want to see a Model 101 fighting with/alongside Cameron, dammit. The technology will have caught up for Arnie (look at Micheal Douglas in Ant-Man for an example of how far things have come on that front), and Summer Glau apparently doesn't age anyway.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

coyo7e posted:

So I'm curious, was the ending of Salvation really forced to be re-written just so Christian Bale can be Jesus, or did I misread that cyborg terminator marcus was supposed to be the protagonist until they got A Big Name into thing? Because holy poo poo that's the hugest slap in the face I could think of, "yeah, well, you'll mostly protect me and feed me info except for a fight scene where you save me, and then you just give me your life to save me, and everybody's stoked because CHRISTIAN BALE!!!" :black101:

IIRC Salvation went through two major re-writes. One when Christian Bale was cast to give John a larger part, which was before anything was filmed and then another during filming when the script got leaked and they got a ton of backlash over the ending.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Jenny Angel posted:

Honestly my favorite part of Clarke in this was when he was slouching in a sweater over a button down at the CyberDyne offices making chill dad jokes with his pals. If you want to cast someone who's a bit of a doof but has a lot of menace just underneath that, Clarke is one of your best options right now.

I ain't think much of him in Dawn of The Planet of the Apes but I wish he'd come back.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So, Forbes (well, one of its contributors) has put out an interesting analysis. Basically he's arguing that while China saved this film from being a flop, it's disliked enough that attempting to follow up may just result in a bigger disaster, especially since it's plunging in China just like it did everywhere else (in particular, despite its strong opening it won't pull in nearly as much from China as several other films that had similar opening successes).

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Yvonmukluk posted:

So, Forbes (well, one of its contributors)
I refuse to listen to this guy:

on principle.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."
Without spoilers, how disappointed am I going to be when I reach the end of season 2 of Sarah Connor Chronicles?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

They did the best they could, not knowing if the series would get a third season. It's "conclusive" enough that it works as a series finale, but has enough implied plot hooks that they could have kept the series going had a third season gotten a green light.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

Xenomrph posted:

They did the best they could, not knowing if the series would get a third season. It's "conclusive" enough that it works as a series finale, but has enough implied plot hooks that they could have kept the series going had a third season gotten a green light.

Thanks. It's been an entertaining watch so far. I think it did a better job expanding Terminator's story than any of the sequels other than 2.

I'm surprised Genysis didn't steal the cancer reason for jumping forward in time. It makes sense and T3 set that up as well.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

ghostwritingduck posted:

Thanks. It's been an entertaining watch so far. I think it did a better job expanding Terminator's story than any of the sequels other than 2.

I'm surprised Genysis didn't steal the cancer reason for jumping forward in time. It makes sense and T3 set that up as well.

Well techniclly they did steal the 'jump forward in time to stop Skynet' part of things. Only in TSCC, where they gave themselves 4 year's head start, they jump right into the same year.

I'm still mad that Fox shoved it in the death slot and dumped it for Dollhouse, which was pretty much a worse series in every way. Yeah, I said it.

If they did like a comic continuation of it (TSSC, that is) like they did Buffy or Firefly, I would be right there.

Instead we get Genesys, its sequels and its own crappy spinoff TV series down the line...maybe.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Sep 6, 2015

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Yvonmukluk posted:

I'm still mad that Fox shoved it in the death slot and dumped it for Dollhouse, which was pretty much a worse series in every way. Yeah, I said it.

Then they dumped Dollhouse so that was rubbing salt into the wound along with that godawful TV movie which was the pouring of the acid.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Actually, now I think about it, why did they immediately plan to jump ahead into the future in Genisys anyway? It's not like there was any particular hurry, considering, you know, TIME MACHINE. I mean, Sarah was going to die of cancer, but considering that would take place AFTER the original destination of 1997, what was the rush? Also, why was Arnold meant to come with them? After all, that was the original plan. So what's stopping them taking a few months for his skin to heal up so he could come with and maybe make additional plans for what they were going to do when they got there? Since again, it's a time machine. Or hell, maybe the plan should have been all along for the T-800 to take the slow path as a means to lay the ground. I mean if things had gone according to plan and they'd gone together, than they wouldn't have the insider knowledge to infiltrate Cyberdyne. I mean, literally all they had to do was change a few lines of dialogue and that plot hole gets closed and the characters look smarter as a result.

I mean with Cameron in TSCC, she had to be with them in the vault to activate the vault, not to mention they had no clues as to who made Skynet (and they gave themselves 4 years to figure that out, not to mention had a squad of guys sent back from the future who were meant to be gathering intelligence for them and setting up false identities and stuff as support. So they weren't actually leaping blindly into the future, they already had a plan.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yvonmukluk posted:

Whedon promised massive budget cuts which was helped by the fact that they could just have most episodes in an already built set. TSCC couldn't match that.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

muscles like this? posted:

Whedon promised massive budget cuts which was helped by the fact that they could just have most episodes in an already built set. TSCC couldn't match that.

I know this is just my opinion, but after the reaction that Firefly's early cancellation caused I think Fox was incredibly sensitive about cancelling another Whedon show too early, too. Either from potential audience/industry backlash which could maybe be bad for them or thinking it was absolutely going to be the sort of hit everyone was telling them Firefly was going to be if it'd just stayed on the air a while longer.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Actually, now I think about it, why did they immediately plan to jump ahead into the future in Genisys anyway? It's not like there was any particular hurry, considering, you know, TIME MACHINE. I mean, Sarah was going to die of cancer, but considering that would take place AFTER the original destination of 1997, what was the rush? Also, why was Arnold meant to come with them? After all, that was the original plan. So what's stopping them taking a few months for his skin to heal up so he could come with and maybe make additional plans for what they were going to do when they got there? Since again, it's a time machine. Or hell, maybe the plan should have been all along for the T-800 to take the slow path as a means to lay the ground. I mean if things had gone according to plan and they'd gone together, than they wouldn't have the insider knowledge to infiltrate Cyberdyne. I mean, literally all they had to do was change a few lines of dialogue and that plot hole gets closed and the characters look smarter as a result.

I sort of figured with the Genisys and TSCC thing, it was considered 'safer' in a way to time jump to the future as soon as possible, though. It's not the best logic, but the idea that if you're going to potentially be hunted down by robots from the future between 1984-1997, reduce the window of time you're vulnerable to attack by skipping most of those years.

But the notion of just waiting until a few days before the end of the world, regardless, seems really reckless. What if you get a flat tire or the traffic is bad on the day you show up to stop the end of the world? I bet you're wishing you'd gotten there a little earlier.

Really, I'm sort of thinking it could have been a more interesting turn if Kyle, Pops and Sarah stayed in 1984 and they had a game plan to destroy Cyberdyne and kill a few engineers, sabotage the company, something in the 1980s to effectively prevent the creation of Skynet that way. Have them succeed and it's a whole new timeline, anyway, so go whole-hog with seeing a sort of take on the Sarah/Kyle relationship if it wasn't born of the events of the original film. If they succeed, you don't get a J-Day or Skynet, but you maybe also don't get a John Connor. It makes his eventual appearance as a living, breathing person in 2017 a shock to Kyle.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

JediTalentAgent posted:

I sort of figured with the Genisys and TSCC thing, it was considered 'safer' in a way to time jump to the future as soon as possible, though. It's not the best logic, but the idea that if you're going to potentially be hunted down by robots from the future between 1984-1997, reduce the window of time you're vulnerable to attack by skipping most of those years.

But the notion of just waiting until a few days before the end of the world, regardless, seems really reckless. What if you get a flat tire or the traffic is bad on the day you show up to stop the end of the world? I bet you're wishing you'd gotten there a little earlier.

Really, I'm sort of thinking it could have been a more interesting turn if Kyle, Pops and Sarah stayed in 1984 and they had a game plan to destroy Cyberdyne and kill a few engineers, sabotage the company, something in the 1980s to effectively prevent the creation of Skynet that way. Have them succeed and it's a whole new timeline, anyway, so go whole-hog with seeing a sort of take on the Sarah/Kyle relationship if it wasn't born of the events of the original film. If they succeed, you don't get a J-Day or Skynet, but you maybe also don't get a John Connor. It makes his eventual appearance as a living, breathing person in 2017 a shock to Kyle.
No, see, they explained it in TSCC (they're in danger where they are what with Cromartie on their rear end, plus Sarah will die of cancer well before Judgment Day), and they gave themselves a 4 years head start. Whereas there was nothing stopping Pops, Sarah and Kyle going underground - which we know works for keeping off Skynet's radar, at least in the short term on account of that's why Skynet had to send a T-800 to 1984 in the first place, because it couldn't find Sarah after she went underground. They don't have to hide until 1997 - just long enough for Pops' arm to heal up.

Hell, if they'd jumped ahead a year or two in advance of Judgment Day, John would have been around then for them to WTF over and maybe investigate, and he could still push the launch of Genisys early.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The moviemaking/TV-making reason is it's a lot cheaper/easier to set your story in "the present" than it is to force yourself to make what amounts to a "period piece"

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, even TSC did that. It's just that their present was 4 years earlier than the Judgement day thing.

Plus TSC had a lot more time to burn being a TV series.

You know. All that.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Xenomrph posted:

The moviemaking/TV-making reason is it's a lot cheaper/easier to set your story in "the present" than it is to force yourself to make what amounts to a "period piece"

Yeah, even modern day sci-fi films like Space Cop aren't set entirely in the future, since it's so much more expensive to create an entire fake future world than it is to have your characters just walk around a normal city.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

JediTalentAgent posted:

I know this is just my opinion, but after the reaction that Firefly's early cancellation caused I think Fox was incredibly sensitive about cancelling another Whedon show too early, too. Either from potential audience/industry backlash which could maybe be bad for them or thinking it was absolutely going to be the sort of hit everyone was telling them Firefly was going to be if it'd just stayed on the air a while longer.

Fox didn't give a flying fart what the fans thought when they cancelled anything over the last 20 years.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Rhyno posted:

Fox didn't give a flying fart what the fans thought over the last 20 years.
Fixed that for you.

I'll be honest The Sarah Connor Chronicles is what got me interested in Terminator - I'd seen Terminator 2 once when I was young on TV, but I didn't really engage with the franchise until I saw the series. So I will probably defend it beyond all reason. I mean, I'll probably not go so far as to say it's better than the first two movies, but I will say it's up there in quality.

Anyway, I'm awaiting delivery for the Terminator Vault, and looking into the Terminator Genisys minis game (because from what I've seen it's a good game and easy enough to ignore the 'Genisys' bit). Thanks, Sarah Connor Chronicles!

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Wait, there's a Terminator Genisys minis game?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Electromax posted:

If you have a copy of Terminator 3 with Arnold's commentary, it's worth it bigtime. I was cracking up every time he got going.

I will keep saying this until I die, but all of Arnie's commentaries are great, especially Conan and Total Recall. He's drunk as hell and can't remember the movies. If you needed your fill of him doing his ridiculous laugh, that's a good place to go.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
So what I don't get about Looper is that is they know one of their victims is their future self, why don't they just check for themselves and let themselves go? It's not like the future mob can actually know you didn't do it, how does the mob even know they killed anyone?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Xenomrph posted:

Wait, there's a Terminator Genisys minis game?

Sure is!

Weird that this is the first official ruleset since I think the early 90s. You'd think making minis of the terminator would be a license to print money. I guess it must be a rights thing.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

It's likely a rights thing. The rights to the Terminator franchise are a massive clusterfuck, with different entities owning the rights to individual movies and things like that. It's the reason Arnold was a "T-850" in T3, or the Terminators in The Sarah Connor Chronicles are "T-888s" and their endoskeletons are slightly different from the distinctive T-800 endoskeleton (and why Shirley Manson is a "T-1001").

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I do love me a good copyright clusterfuck. Like when the Justice League cartoon couldn't use the Blue Beetle because some radio station still had the broadcast rights to the character.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Xenomrph posted:

It's likely a rights thing. The rights to the Terminator franchise are a massive clusterfuck, with different entities owning the rights to individual movies and things like that. It's the reason Arnold was a "T-850" in T3, or the Terminators in The Sarah Connor Chronicles are "T-888s" and their endoskeletons are slightly different from the distinctive T-800 endoskeleton (and why Shirley Manson is a "T-1001").

Does anyone know if the rights reverting back to Cameron will clear up this clusterfuck?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Xenomrph posted:

Yvonmukluk posted:

Does anyone know if the rights reverting back to Cameron will clear up this clusterfuck?

or how, in the TSCC show, they couldn't have any character say the word 'Terminator' but it could be used in the title of the show. i think sarah says the word once and it's mostly obscured by SFX in the final episode. i don't know enough about the rights to know how it works - does someone own john and sarah connor and skynet and all that sort of thing, but someone else specifically owns the idea of the terminator/t-800 character?

• Locked thread