Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Tom Brady posted:

Actually you're right, that was probably an inaccurate use of that word. Whatever weird thing you have going on upstairs that makes you think its ok to act like a person has or needs a white knight

Well, I don't think it's okay and that was my point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Number 1 Sexy Dad posted:

Well then we've reached an agreement on something, maybe this truce can lead to "fruitful" collaborations in our posting future

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations

Number 1 Sexy Dad posted:

Its ok for you to be wrong, just let it go already.

This thread needs to watch more football and eat football food it's hard to be unhappy when there's football and football food :unsmith:

e: footballfood? footfood? ballfood? ballfood.

vicious citrus
Dec 10, 2014

Life is paradoxically coincidental to the ironical tyranny applicable to the unparalleled definition of reverse entropy.

Pivotal Lever posted:

I'm going to pan fry some burger meat after I season it with Sea Salt and Black Pepper. In a cast-iron pan. It's gonna be delicious, I can't wait!
I honestly prefer using copper pans instead of cast iron. Very nice and conductive. Gives my meat the nice bold flavor and shape no other pan could deliver.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I just had some left overs from dinner earlier. Italian sausage with onions/peppers and some roasted potatoes

The sausage was too salty but whatever, I just will avoid a return trip to that restaurant

Pivotal Lever
Sep 9, 2003

vicious citrus posted:

I honestly prefer using copper pans instead of cast iron. Very nice and conductive. Gives my meat the nice bold flavor and shape no other pan could deliver.

Im eating some cast iron burgers right now and i disagree, but that's ok! This is GWS, where food debate is good and cool :)

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I like cooking burgers in cast iron. The dramatically higher emissivity means that it cooks a little bit of the inside of the burger. Meanwhile, the lower conductivity prevents it from burning while you get a nice medium rare. Copper makes good burgers too, but cast iron just edges it out, IMO.

vicious citrus
Dec 10, 2014

Life is paradoxically coincidental to the ironical tyranny applicable to the unparalleled definition of reverse entropy.

Pivotal Lever posted:

Im eating some cast iron burgers right now and i disagree, but that's ok! This is GWS, where food debate is good and cool :)
:dance: :burger: :dance:

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Cast iron and copper serve different purposes, even though they will both work for some applications. Cast iron is a pile of heat whereas copper is very responsive heat.

Tom Brady posted:

Oh cool, and now the slut shaming comes out

Shuuuuuuuuut uuuuuuuuuuuup

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Scheißposteren raus :hitler:

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Force de Fappe posted:

Scheißposteren raus :hitler:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm starting to enjoy living in a culinary wasteland where nobody eats anything that isn't beef or chicken breast because

:frogsiren: ducks were cheaper than chickens at the grocery store :frogsiren:

My sous vide controller is showing up any day now and I have two young ducks in the freezer. I'm thinking about cutting the ducks up, saving the breasts for myself, and doing the wings, thighs, and legs confit to take to my friend's house for (real) Thanksgiving dinner this weekend.

Is this a good plan for cutting my teeth on sous vide?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

CommonShore posted:

I'm starting to enjoy living in a culinary wasteland where nobody eats anything that isn't beef or chicken breast because

My sous vide controller is showing up any day now and I have two young ducks in the freezer. I'm thinking about cutting the ducks up, saving the breasts for myself, and doing the wings, thighs, and legs confit to take to my friend's house for (real) Thanksgiving dinner this weekend.

It would probably work ok. The first thing I did was make a dozen poached eggs in the shells. These are awesome and you can keep them in the container, drop them in a cup of hot water for a minute or two then crack open and have on toast / salads whatever.

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

Any of you guys planning a big ol' Canadian thanksgiving dinner? Visiting the folks and my dad is going to try smoking ribs for the first time and I guess there will also be turkey but ribs

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

How're you going to use syrup in the ribs and turkey eh?

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

Mr. Wookums posted:

are you trying to tell you I can't just pour it on :colbert:

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

And to think I fantasize by believing myself a passable Canadian :negative:

go BJs!

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

Mr. Wookums posted:

And to think I fantasize by believing myself a passable Canadian :negative:

go BJs!

it is ok, just stuff your turkey with a box of KD and I'm pretty sure it will come out cooked and mixed

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Mr. Wookums posted:

Habanero jelly with a little maple syrup is a pretty good finishing sauce for pork, actually.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
One of my favorite things I've ever made was an awesome sriracha - maple glaze for buttermilk battered chicken wings. It's so good they still haven't taken it off the menu after firing me 6 months ago.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

CommonShore posted:

Are you going to actually confit them sous-vide, or just cook them? If you want to get the traditional confit texture you'll need to do them at really high temps, and you're more likely to split your bag.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Are you going to actually confit them sous-vide, or just cook them? If you want to get the traditional confit texture you'll need to do them at really high temps, and you're more likely to split your bag.

See this is why I ask questions. I'm new to all of this - I've never done sous-vide and I've never made my own confit. I got pissed off last week because my new city doesn't seem to sell duck confit in any grocery store, and I impulse ordered a controller. Gonna do some reading and report back. I just got the delivery notice that my package will be available for me to snag after work tomorrow.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

SubG posted:

Habanero jelly with a little maple syrup is a pretty good finishing sauce for pork, actually.
could also revolutionize breakfast. How do you make?

Same with saracha-maple chicken.

This Canada year I may have to cure my syrup PTSD

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Glaze is 2 shallots, 1 cup syrup 2 cup sriracha, 1/2.cup rice vinegar, drizzle 1 cup oil to emulsify

Chicken soak in buttermilk, toss in seasoned flour and fry, toss n in sauce

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Ok, I've read a few recipes/methods for doing confit sous-vide, and I didn't find any surprises. So, are you saying that I won't be able to use a ziplock to reliably do the legs at 75-82c?

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

CommonShore posted:

Ok, I've read a few recipes/methods for doing confit sous-vide, and I didn't find any surprises. So, are you saying that I won't be able to use a ziplock to reliably do the legs at 75-82c?

There's more risk than Ziploc bags at lower temps or vac bags at high temps, but if you clip the seal above the waterline (and use freezer bags or other heavy-duty equivalent) you should be ok. Check whenever you pass your setup. Just remember that it won't keep as long in the fridge as vac-sealed confit legs will and you'll be fine.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

I disagree about texture, I do duck confit sous vide all the time and have excellent results. salt box and season legs for 4-6 hours, and confit at like 80c for ~2 hours.

I'm still honing in times and temperatures, but that's my basic method.

edit this isn't with a bag though, I foodsaver vac seal

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Mr. Wookums posted:

could also revolutionize breakfast. How do you make?
The habanero jelly is peppers, vinegar, sugar, pectin. Some folks prefer to throw in milder peppers to take the edge off the heat but I make it with straight habs because I like the flavour. You should be able to use whatever brand of pectin you can pick up locally, and just follow the instructions---different pectins require different boil times, liquid proportions, and poo poo like that, but it's all simple poo poo and it all produces pretty much the same result.

I usually go something like 5:1 hab jelly to maple syrup when I'm using it as a finishing sauce, but it's really just something you can eyeball/gently caress with to taste.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
I loving love habanero and mango jam, and mangos have plenty of pectin as is, try it some time.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

CommonShore posted:

It might work! I've had the heavy duty ziplock bags split on me at higher temps. I'd double bag it if you were going to try it, either with ziplock bags or foodsaver bags.

mindphlux posted:

I disagree about texture, I do duck confit sous vide all the time and have excellent results. salt box and season legs for 4-6 hours, and confit at like 80c for ~2 hours.

I'm still honing in times and temperatures, but that's my basic method.

edit this isn't with a bag though, I foodsaver vac seal

80c is the normal ballpark temp for traditional confit, though. You could also render the fat at a way lower temp, but it wouldn't turn out the same.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Great! I'm going to try it tomorrow or Friday. I'll report back, maybe with pictures. My plan is to do a double bagging of some sort because I'm paranoid, with the seals somehow kept above the water line.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

CommonShore posted:

Great! I'm going to try it tomorrow or Friday. I'll report back, maybe with pictures. My plan is to do a double bagging of some sort because I'm paranoid, with the seals somehow kept above the water line.

Get some bulldog clips and clip the bag against the side of the pot, or put the seal over the edge and put a plate on it.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Get some bulldog clips and clip the bag against the side of the pot, or put the seal over the edge and put a plate on it.

Heh I call those binder clips, and that's exactly what I was going to do. Nice - maybe my instincts aren't so bad after all.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Paul Prudhomme died :smith:

http://www.wwltv.com/story/news/2015/10/08/superstar-chef-paul-prudhomme-dies-at-75/73583404/

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Sucks but as long as Tony Chachere still walks the earth im ok.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Chachere died in 1995, I'm sorry for your loss.

Prudhomme wrote my first cookbook and was my first TV chef, he will be very missed. That man lived a good life, if a tough one.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I had a culinary awakening at K-Paul's when I was like 14. Was a good place.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

fizzymercy posted:

Chachere died in 1995, I'm sorry for your loss.

Prudhomme wrote my first cookbook and was my first TV chef, he will be very missed. That man lived a good life, if a tough one.

The good ones leave us too soon. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
rip prudhomme

but honestly (also rip) my main <3 cajun man is dem esteemed justin wilson, I guarantee

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eK4umRMJlrs