Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rabidredneck
Oct 30, 2010

Not pleasant when angered.
There was one persistant bug in the Pitt on a rooftop you needed to get onto to while looking for ingots, there was a section where the roof didn't exist and you would fall to the ground. There was a workaround, you save the game in the area and restart the game, the roof would be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I like the Fallout exclamation marks better than Oblivion. Much more subdued colors

Currently in my game at Point Lookout. The lights on the hotel are missing their meshes, and the pugna scorpions are too.

Getting attacked by invisible scorpions is hilarious, as was when the diseased dogs didn't load anything but their eyes.

Imagine a pack of 6 dogs attacking you, but it's just floating eyes.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Moridin920 posted:

I still just can't get over "if my FOURTH console hadn't died I'd still be playing on a console because it is better than a dumb PC."

I was poking fun at myself for having to rely on microsoft's terribly made consoles you big dummy. But I do prefer console gaming. And yeah I did go through four 360s.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Raygereio posted:

If at any point you want to jump into the modding pool again, Mod Organizer will be something you'll want to look at. But it looks like FOMM will be more then enough for your needs.
Also, while Mod Organizer is very nice for actually doing a lot of modding, last I checked, it has trouble with the installation process,although there's an alternate way to use them.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

In an ideal universe I'd buy PC games.

In this universe 7 out of 10 games I'm interested in buying at launch end up being "boy, looks like another lovely PC port" ranging from Saint's Row having a mission that can't be finished if your FPS is wrong to Arkham Knight being lol, so barring a good deal or cheap prices I buy console because while it can still gently caress up it's less likely for there to be hugely crippling bugs. (Bethesda is one of the few companies I can't depend on that from which is why I'm probably getting FO4 on PC, mod support being the other reason.)

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

In an ideal universe I'd buy PC games.

In this universe 7 out of 10 games I'm interested in buying at launch end up being "boy, looks like another lovely PC port" ranging from Saint's Row having a mission that can't be finished if your FPS is wrong to Arkham Knight being lol, so barring a good deal or cheap prices I buy console because while it can still gently caress up it's less likely for there to be hugely crippling bugs. (Bethesda is one of the few companies I can't depend on that from which is why I'm probably getting FO4 on PC, mod support being the other reason.)

Looks like the problem here is that you like bad games.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Welp, I got rid of Nexus because it couldn't install the mod without loving up and now Fallout Mod Manager is crashing every time I try to open up the Tale of Two Wastelands files. So gently caress it, yet again I find the best policy in regard to mods is to just ignore them.

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

I'm going to buy fallout 4 on PS4 and then probably again on PC when it goes on Steam if the game doesn't completely suck. I don't know why you can't have it both ways (just works and fully moddable).

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
Aren't Bethesda's games typically much closer to "just works" on Windows than on consoles?

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Seashell Salesman posted:

Aren't Bethesda's games typically much closer to "just works" on Windows than on consoles?

Yes and no. Their UI usually blows for mouse, but the fact that you can use console commands to get out of bugged situations means you're safer on the launch day.

Turds in magma
Sep 17, 2007
can i get a transform out of here?

mrking posted:

I'm going to buy fallout 4 on PS4 and then probably again on PC when it goes on Steam if the game doesn't completely suck. I don't know why you can't have it both ways (just works and fully moddable).

Because poors are poor

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Raygereio posted:

To give you an idea of just how bad NMM is: The Nexus guys are so incompetent, they once managed to create a bug that caused NMM to DDoS their own website. And then recreated that bug a year later.

To be fair, that is really easy to do by just missing a single parameter in a script.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Mordaedil posted:

To be fair, that is really easy to do by just missing a single parameter in a script.

My favourite so far is that the latest update hosed stuff up in such a way you had to redownload everything. But it didn't remove anything either. So you have to uninstall all the mods you had, then reinstall them.

Turds in magma posted:

Because poors are poor

Honestly people with more than one big system(PC/Xbone/PS4) perplex me. For the same money you could get some sick powertools to do fun stuff with, or new knives/pans for your kitchen, or many other useful things that you don't already have covered.

Mosnar
Apr 21, 2007
Dropping Heavy Things From High Places, LLC

LornMarkus posted:

Welp, I got rid of Nexus because it couldn't install the mod without loving up and now Fallout Mod Manager is crashing every time I try to open up the Tale of Two Wastelands files. So gently caress it, yet again I find the best policy in regard to mods is to just ignore them.

Are you using this very specific version of FOMM?
http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/54991/

The implication being, of course, that if you're not you are doing something horribly, horribly wrong and bringing shame upon your lineage and ancestry.

Seriouspoast: regular FOMM can't handle really big FOMODS and will crash. The abovementioned version takes care of that problem.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

Nasgate posted:

My favourite so far is that the latest update hosed stuff up in such a way you had to redownload everything. But it didn't remove anything either. So you have to uninstall all the mods you had, then reinstall them.

Honestly people with more than one big system(PC/Xbone/PS4) perplex me. For the same money you could get some sick powertools to do fun stuff with, or new knives/pans for your kitchen, or many other useful things that you don't already have covered.

otoh people who live in an apartment, or really the city in general. Easy to slot a console in, ideally a WiiU.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
Spacelab9 just teased that they are working on a Fallout 3 vinyl :eyepop:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6yt-43Vp1M

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

So I saw something that looks like driving a car and a four barreled nuclear shotgun. Oh boy, are NMA going to be mad.

Think Thin!
Sep 17, 2006
yeah watching the purists eat themselves alive online for the past couple of months has been a hoot : )

Rabidredneck
Oct 30, 2010

Not pleasant when angered.
The car perk refers to Vault-Tech-Assisted-Navigation-System, apparently acts like Skyrim's clairvoyance spell. In VATS it shows directions to your next quest marker.

Rabidredneck fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Oct 7, 2015

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

I hope the nuclear shotgun is in the game though...

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Bholder posted:

I hope the nuclear shotgun is in the game though...

A shotgun crossed with a Fat Man that uses Tiny Tot mini nukes instead of buckshot.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

LornMarkus posted:

In the time it took for you to type that post, you could have read the mods' readme and fixed your problem.
Here's a quick summary: Use the version of FOMM I linked. Because TTW is huge, FOMM can appear to freeze and become unresponsive. Just let it to its thing. If FOMM does actually crash, you can do a manual installation. Which is just copy-pasting the TTW files over to your install folder and making a quick edit to your .ini file.

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

Those S.P.E.C.I.A.L. videos are weird in that they're voiced like they were made before the bombs dropped but oddly prescient in that they show ghouls, super mutants, and wastelands. I mean, wasn't the idea of the vaults to be a place to ride out the apocalypse and when the doors open the world would be safe again to repopulate (I.E. radiation and mutant free)? If so, then why would they show videos of what you'll need to survive against mutants and radiation in a blasted wasteland. Shouldn't any vault tech videos of the future be about how to rebuild and plant gardens in your new utopia?

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Lexorin posted:

Those S.P.E.C.I.A.L. videos are weird in that they're voiced like they were made before the bombs dropped but oddly prescient in that they show ghouls, super mutants, and wastelands. I mean, wasn't the idea of the vaults to be a place to ride out the apocalypse and when the doors open the world would be safe again to repopulate (I.E. radiation and mutant free)? If so, then why would they show videos of what you'll need to survive against mutants and radiation in a blasted wasteland. Shouldn't any vault tech videos of the future be about how to rebuild and plant gardens in your new utopia?

The Boston wing of Vault Tech had more foresight than the rest of the company.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Lexorin posted:

the answer is don't think about it

that's the answer to every bethseda game

don't think about it
and enjoy

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Lexorin posted:

Bethesda has never cared about lore or consistency.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Lexorin posted:

That would make it very boring videos

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Lexorin posted:

Well, duuuh, obviously they had access to the secret F.E.V virus research.

But seriously speaking, It would've been cooler if it was made like some 1950s awareness video, making everything look easy and do-able, cross mixed with actual ingame footage showing how hosed you'd really be if you followed the advice in the videos.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
It's like an amusement park ride, you're just supposed to look at the stuff and do the twists and turns and be thrilled or whatever. Once you start thinking about the scenery too much it doesn't work.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Bethesda has never cared about lore or consistency.

Yeah.

And my biggest problem with them is that they're not very funny or bring on any sense of dread. I think I chuckled all of once during the course of all the videos so far. They keep seeming like they're going to go for a Ren and Stimpy type of humor but then they never do. There was a video that got me really pumped up for Fallout 3 before it came out and that was the one where a regular family and their robot were prepping to eat, like the aforementioned awareness video, and it was just amazing.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

evilmiera posted:

There was a video that got me really pumped up for Fallout 3 before it came out and that was the one where a regular family and their robot were prepping to eat, like the aforementioned awareness video, and it was just amazing.

Link please?

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

For me it's interesting how they draw other NPCs and enemies in cutesy Vault-Boy style

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Moridin920 posted:

It's like an amusement park ride, you're just supposed to look at the stuff and do the twists and turns and be thrilled or whatever. Once you start thinking about the scenery too much it doesn't work.

It's a setting where giant scorpions and mutants run around, I think it's true for the whole series.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

But what do they EAT man???

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Bholder posted:

It's a setting where giant scorpions and mutants run around, I think it's true for the whole series.

Yeah definitely.

It'd be fun to play a gritty survival post apocalyptic game, too, but Fallout definitely has a good dose of silliness and pulp sci fi stuff.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
In-game those movies are probably made by the same company that made the Vigor videos in Bioshock Infinite. Because murderous crows is a perfect way to settle disputes and definitely not overkill.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

frajaq posted:

But what do they EAT man???

If they're anything like their fans then probably each other.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Lexorin posted:

Agree. I'm not experiencing any suspension of disbelief from these videos. They could at least have portrayed monsters and weapons that dont match the ones you see in the games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
This is just a hunch, but I think it's because they're actually advertisements for the upcoming video game Fallout 4 and not actual informational videos from a fictional universe. That being said, they really nailed the early 50's vibe in the videos and I've really enjoyed all of them so far.

• Locked thread