Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
iirc the idea behind postscript was that the same source information could be used to generate graphics to display to the computer screen and print out, and postscript was one of the earliest things of its type right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Bloody posted:

btw why ityool 2015 are computer graphics still a left-handed coordinate system with 0,0 being the top-left corner

so dumb
there was a time when this made sense to me but I can't remember why now

that not much of a contribution but I haven't posted in a while so...

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
if I remember why I'll report back

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Kilroy posted:

don't sign your posts

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

a terrible programmer story: i spent half a day adding 10mins of features to a lovely console app because i realised that the layout was total garbage despite it only having been written 2 months before so spent ages refactoring almost every method for clarity and getting rid of stupid poo poo like nested classes with separate yet dependent bools.

i was the one that wrote it all originally. I'm the terrible programmer.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

eschaton posted:

you know you at least want to give CADR and Meroko a try

they're based on the original microcoded CPU design for the Lisp Machine, which had eight 74LS181 ALU chips at its core

Meroko, since the Explorer used NuBus, doesn't just do an accurate emulation of the CPU; it does a bus-transaction-accurate simulation of the entire Explorer, including things like parity checking. as a result it runs only a few times faster than a real Explorer on top-tier hardware.

plus the Explorer has USER AIDS:

come on, you know you want to

lol how to tell your product was made in 1988: USER AIDS

also Jesus Christ it sounds like Hercules but even less useful, is there even any software out there specifically for that thing

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

you know you at least want to give CADR and Meroko a try

they're based on the original microcoded CPU design for the Lisp Machine, which had eight 74LS181 ALU chips at its core

Meroko, since the Explorer used NuBus, doesn't just do an accurate emulation of the CPU; it does a bus-transaction-accurate simulation of the entire Explorer, including things like parity checking. as a result it runs only a few times faster than a real Explorer on top-tier hardware.

plus the Explorer has USER AIDS:

come on, you know you want to

the best part of this screenshot is in the background. a driver failed on boot so it is putting you into an interactive debugger

better still, you can see that the driver code is object oriented because youre inside the method ETHERNET::NUBUS-ENC :ALLOCATE-COMMAND_BLOCK and your SELF variable is of type NUBUS-Controller.

this owns so many bones

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Luigi Thirty posted:

also Jesus Christ it sounds like Hercules but even less useful, is there even any software out there specifically for that thing

most of the software for lisp machines cost more than the machines themselves

turnkey was the norm: you pay $200k for some sw package and get a symbolics box for free

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the best part of this screenshot is in the background. a driver failed on boot so it is putting you into an interactive debugger

better still, you can see that the driver code is object oriented because youre inside the method ETHERNET::NUBUS-ENC :ALLOCATE-COMMAND_BLOCK and your SELF variable is of type NUBUS-Controller.

this owns so many bones

how will I post in yospos from it with no DECnet

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

prefect posted:

the pro-dvorak people are obnoxious, so i'm okay with mocking them
pro-anything people are obnoxious when they try to shove their thing down your throat and should be mocked, yes, but that doesn't invalidate just users

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Luigi Thirty posted:

how will I post in yospos from it with no DECnet

get into that debugger and hack around the problem. it's lisp, so you can load new code dynamically.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

sarehu posted:

As a Dvorak user I can tell you being a Dvorak user is like being in a secret club -- when you meet another one, there's that unnecessary bit of implicit telepathy like that which you'd share with a fresh clone, where you know what each other's thinking: that Dvorak isn't really better than Qwerty but it's our little secret.

for the first time ever i agree with sarehu

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
dvorak is not actually faster than qwerty. what makes it seem faster is that learning any new keyboard layout is faster than your bad habits on qwerty. touch-typing is loving miraculous, and it's very, very hard to unlearn bad habits

if you are a lovely hunt-and-pecker at 40 wpm you could probably double your speed learning a random layout. or colemak, for that matter. learning literally anything but qwerty gives you an opportunity to un-gently caress your typing

not that i would endorse colemak or whatever flavor of the week

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

not that i would endorse colemak or whatever flavor of the week
flavour of the week is workman or qwpr :anime:

lord of the files
Sep 4, 2012

https://github.com/hmlb/phpunit-vw

"helps you ship lovely code. faster."

"any similarities with a current event concerning... a multinational automobile manufacturer are purely coincidental."

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I wonder if Bjorn and Michael ever got the networking going in meroko. they've had 9 years.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I I have a log4j question.

Im worried about performance and was going to start creating queues that contain Strings, and then have a thread running that pollls the queue and calls Logger.debug() on anything in the queue.

I have a feeling that Logger.debug () does all this in the background anyway. Is that right?

The genesis of this is worrying about the logging creating overhead and blocking things that are time critical

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I wouldn't worry about it until its an actual problem, but if you really want to do something there are a few things.

1) use the formatter based logging methods ex:

log.debug("The boner size is {}",bonerSize);
instead of
log.debug("The boner size is "+bonerSize);

The first statement incurs no string concatenation cost when debugging is disabled, while the second one will always concatenate the strings even if debugging is disabled.

2) when you cant do the above, wrap stuff in a logger.IsDebugEnabled statement. or whatever the equivalent in your framework is.

3) lastly, if you really need to have debug logging on and maximize throughput use asynchronous loggers and appenders. These will differ the actual blocking work. The downside is if the logging fails it can be a pain to figure out where it failed. Though that's generally not really a problem cause logging failures are almost always configuration or I/o problems which are unrelated to your code.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
idk if regular log4j supports formatter statements but I known slf4j and log4j-2 do.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i made my own logger it pretty much just wraps
code:
File.AppendAllText(path, $"{DateTime.Now.ToShortDateString()} {DateTime.Now.ToLongTimeString()}: {value}\r\n");

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
hope u aren't logging from multiple threads

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

code:
                lock (locker)
                {
}
is more of the actual code :smugmrgw:

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

ya, my logger will block random threads for no apparent reason, suck it

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

if i was hardcore yak shaving i'd give the logger its own thread and have the Log(String value) method just add poo poo into a thread-safe collection and a worker thread pull poo poo from the thread-safe collection

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
just use nlog or something.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

eh, this is good enough for the foreseeable future

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Bloody posted:

you're in the right thread

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

idk choosing to not replace a 39-line logger with another dependency for no reason at all doesnt seem that terrible

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

log4j2 and disruptor for 1 million lines per second+. Good luck doing anything useful with that.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Kilroy posted:

there was a time when this made sense to me but I can't remember why now

it makes sense because most of what computers display is text, and text in most languages starts at the top left and moves down the page

I mean sure there's no reason why text coordinates and graphics coordinates have to be the same but it's not inherently dumb to say "OK the origin is always at the top left"

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Thank you shags those are some helpful optimization tips.

I need to log stuff from Thread X but absolute cannot block thread X to write to the log. I just don't know how well log4j deals with concurrency. I'll look up nlog

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Bloody posted:

a good rule to live by

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bloody posted:

btw why ityool 2015 are computer graphics still a left-handed coordinate system with 0,0 being the top-left corner

so dumb

i work in 3 dimensions

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Valeyard posted:

Thank you shags those are some helpful optimization tips.

I need to log stuff from Thread X but absolute cannot block thread X to write to the log. I just don't know how well log4j deals with concurrency. I'll look up nlog

nlog is for .net. log4j is java so you want either log4j-2 or slf4j/logback. both of them have asynchronous loggers.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
other things you can do if you really have severe performance requirements is have the logger log to some kind of external in memory message queue (MSMQ in .net, JMS in java) so it doesn't block and the messages are retained in the queue. I wouldn't try to write the queue inside your own program tho.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
or syslog (v)

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah syslog is probably the way to go

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...
by the time i had typing class in school i had been typing for years already, but i had been doing it by looking at the keyboard. it wasnt really hunt and peck, I used the home row mostly, and i was actually really fast that way as long as i was typing straight from my head - but what i found was that i couldn't break more than about 30wpm in our typing program because i had to look up, read a few words, then look down to type them out, and i would often make translation errors like "grey" -> "gray" which hurt me even more

so mid-year, i reset my profile, and started from the basics "sad sass sag" etc. but touch typing (still qwerty). everyone in the class made fun of me for suddenly being so far behind, but by the time the year was over i was the fastest in the class, something like 40-45wpm.

i spent a lot of time in irc, and so by the time i was 16 or so my typing speed was more like 100-120. which is kind of insane by most standards.

later on i read that dvorak was more efficient so i learned it, got up to about 40wpm, and then i got tired of having to constantly switch mentally because i'd remote desktop into a machine and be in qwerty. since most of my job in those days was remoting into machines, i just switched back for consistency

then i had the wrist problems and tried dvorak again, since now my job consists mostly of local coding. now my typing speed is around 90-100 on dvorak and 60ish on qwerty.

i use vim keybindings everywhere, even in dvorak, with no remapping. i just got used to using my left hand for up/down and my right for l/r. it's not that big a deal, the major benefits of vim keybindings have nothing to do with where the keys are physically

well thats my story hope you liked it

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

nice avatar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

Awia posted:

nice avatar

thanks, the source image is something i made with the deep dream technique and then EMILY BLUNTS did the cga+animation

• Locked thread