Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

moller posted:

This article is written in such a way that seems to imply that the author and "US officials" aren't aware that consumer pickups in general and the highlux in particular have been the vehicle of choice of irregular armies on multiple continents for, like, 40 years. I mean there's an African war named after them.

Right, but clearly these chucklefucks have nothing better to do than shaking Toyota down. I kind of hope their answer is "Because their Fords and Chevrolets all broke down :smug:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

moller posted:

This article is written in such a way that seems to imply that the author and "US officials" aren't aware that consumer pickups in general and the highlux in particular have been the vehicle of choice of irregular armies on multiple continents for, like, 40 years. I mean there's an African war named after them.

Because they're indestructible. Seems like an obvious reason that ISIS would use them in harsh environments?

This whole thing is a nonstarter, and has been true forever. Nothing new.

FAUXTON posted:

Right, but clearly these chucklefucks have nothing better to do than shaking Toyota down. I kind of hope their answer is "Because their Fords and Chevrolets all broke down :smug:"

I hope this is their answer, but Toyota Hiluxes (Hiluces? Hilii?) and LandCruisers have been prolific in the middle east forever. They're readily available., tough as gently caress, and easy to work on.

They're clearly the truck of choice throughout australia, oceania, india, pakistan, afghanistan and the middle east. It isn't like Toyota is dealing directly with ISIS.

Such a weird thing to inquire about.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oddly, Gallup has decided not to do any primary polling.

quote:

But after a bruising 2012 cycle, in which its polls were farther off than most of its competitors, Gallup told POLITICO it isn't planning any polls for the presidential primary horse race this cycle. And, even following an internal probe into what went wrong last time around, Gallup won't commit to tracking the general election next year.

Gallup I know a guy you can talk to about unskewing your polls.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/texas-university-campus-carry-shooting-anniversary-charles-whitman

quote:

Twenty-five-year-old Charles Whitman climbed to the top of the clocktower on campus and shot 43 people, killing 13. Texas Monthly's oral history of the afternoon called it the "first mass murder in a public space."

And, as the university's alumni association publication reported Tuesday, the 50th anniversary of his rampage will be the day Texas' campus carry bill goes into effect.

I have a feeling that the gun lobby is trying to rub it in the anti-gun crowd's face at this point. They're just show-boating with timing like this.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

zoux posted:

Oddly, Gallup has decided not to do any primary polling.

Gallup I know a guy you can talk to about unskewing your polls.

They got lazy running online organizational health and employee engagement surveys for corporate America with zero methodology beyond what the customer wants, zero accountability, and massive fees.

They standardized the idea in the industry that detailed crosstabs will provide you statistically significant insight into your team as long as you have 11 people reporting to you. Trash.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Sir Tonk posted:

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/texas-university-campus-carry-shooting-anniversary-charles-whitman

I have a feeling that the gun lobby is trying to rub it in the anti-gun crowd's face at this point. They're just show-boating with timing like this.

After they tried to make the Newtown anniversary "Gun Saves Lives Day" (and semi-related using the Micheal Brown's death anniversary as "Blue Lives Matter Day") there's no question.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

There's a reason that MLK day is often concurrent with "Confederate Heroes Day" or something similar in the southern states. That reason is that they are passive aggressive babies.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

zoux posted:

There's a reason that MLK day is often concurrent with "Confederate Heroes Day" or something similar in the southern states. That reason is that they are passive aggressive babies.

I'm sorry, don't you mean Jackson-Lee-Luther day, sir? :heritage:

(yes Virgina made MLK into a day celebrating two heroes of the Confederacy as well as MLK. Jesus Christ its hard to be a southerner sometimes.) :shepicide:

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Sir Tonk posted:

Well it was one of the few times civilians firing back helped improve the situation. Because he was out of range of the handguns the police had and the students had hunting rifles in their vehicles that they went and got to provide a distraction while the police snuck up on the shooter. Kind of the opposite of the point they're making with the open carry movement, but any victory I guess?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

duz posted:

Well it was one of the few times civilians firing back helped improve the situation. Because he was out of range of the handguns the police had and the students had hunting rifles in their vehicles that they went and got to provide a distraction while the police snuck up on the shooter. Kind of the opposite of the point they're making with the open carry movement, but any victory I guess?

Some open carry activists in fact do want to bring rifles to class with them.

It'll be a lot harder for the professor to tell them they're disrupting class too!

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I wish they would just own it instead of being coy. It's irritating that whenever one of these insulting, ironic holidays pops up the excuse is always "it's just a coincidence that out of 365 days we chose this exact one. Stop being so sensitive :smug:" and tools or pundits get to argue we have to accept that on good faith.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Radish posted:

I wish they would just own it instead of being coy. It's irritating that whenever one of these insulting, ironic holidays pops up the excuse is always "it's just a coincidence that out of 365 days we chose this exact one. Stop being so sensitive :smug:" and tools get to argue we have to accept that on good faith.

It's a weird phenomenon in America that we pretend like everyone only has the best intentions when almost no one does.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

duz posted:

I was going to post that scene from Slacker where the old UT professor explains the Whitman shooting, but it's not online :negative:

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Sir Tonk posted:

Also to avoid talking about that particular incident in favor of some abstract one that gun owners would rather imagine themselves in. Imagining being a hero against some random incompetent thug is fun. Imagining facing down a murderous trained sharpshooter in an elevated and fortified position with a scoped rifle is something else. I don't remember how many Good Guys With Guns were shot, but it's enough to give anyone second thoughts.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

My favorite thing is reading the comments on more conservative sites about this. "Well sure it's all political, but Hillary is a liar!"

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Someone shoplifted from a Home Depot in Michigan. Thankfully a good woman with a concealed carry gun was there and shot at the shoplifter's car as he drove away. She has not been arrested.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Luigi Thirty posted:

Someone shoplifted from a Home Depot in Michigan. Thankfully a good woman with a concealed carry gun was there and shot at the shoplifter's car as he drove away. She has not been arrested.

Home Depot is the only store I've been to where the employees actually encouraged me to shoplift.

Granted it was for a .03 cent bolt.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Bystander opens fire on a shoplifter in a crowded parking lot in Auburn Hills, MI. Luckily, no one was hurt this time.

This is an excellent example of what concealed carry classes tell you to never, ever do. Also an excellent example of the fact that the public is too idiotic to be trusted with loaded guns.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Luigi Thirty posted:

Too bad. Last week in Houston a guy was getting carjacked so a good Samaritan drew down and started firing at the carjacker. He accidentally shot the victim in the head instead. He quickly policed his brass and took the gently caress off, so we don't know if he had a CHL.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Love this bit from the first article:

quote:

FOX 2: "If I see a guy running out of my house with my flat screen TV, what do I do?"

"I hope you have insurance," [CPL instructor Tanisha] Moner says.

FOX 2: "But I've got my gun."

Moner: "You call the police."

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

haveblue posted:

Love this bit from the first article:

Exactly. Jesus, this is what insurance is for. Plus you'll probably miss and hit your TV.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Maybe they're enacting a bill allowing guns on campus on the anniversary of a major campus shooting because they genuinely believe, however misguided, that campus carry will prevent incidents like that. Sometimes people do things based on their own beliefs and not yours.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Zeroisanumber posted:

Bystander opens fire on a shoplifter in a crowded parking lot in Auburn Hills, MI. Luckily, no one was hurt this time.

This is an excellent example of what concealed carry classes tell you to never, ever do. Also an excellent example of the fact that the public is too idiotic to be trusted with loaded guns.

Regardless of what the classes are telling people not to do, it seems the most common takeaway from them is to never admit doing it.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Trabisnikof posted:

Some open carry activists in fact do want to bring rifles to class with them.

It'll be a lot harder for the professor to tell them they're disrupting class too!

Honestly, if the deer on campus are that bad, I'd support them taking their rifle to class.

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Maybe they're enacting a bill allowing guns on campus on the anniversary of a major campus shooting because they genuinely believe, however misguided, that campus carry will prevent incidents like that. Sometimes people do things based on their own beliefs and not yours.

Ooooh, I thought they rolled a die to see what laws to write. But trying to help, despite all evidence, hmm, I guess I could believe that.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I mean even if you hit the guy he's gonna drop your tv.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

duz posted:

Honestly, if the deer on campus are that bad, I'd support them taking their rifle to class.

There were 20,000 deer on my campus. Everyone can just get used to stepping around their crap.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

duz posted:

Just like these guys were hunting for deer in a fast food restaurant!

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Tender Bender posted:

I mean even if you hit the guy he's gonna drop your tv.

If you have an extended service plan though you can just pay $30 for a new one and you get to tell people you shot a guy. Win/Win/Win

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Trabisnikof posted:

Oh god look at that sexy trigger discipline. Oh man, it's so hot. He's ready to go at a MOMENT'S notice.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

SquadronROE posted:

Oh god look at that sexy trigger discipline. Oh man, it's so hot. He's ready to go at a MOMENT'S notice.

I like how the guy in the middle is so enamored over guns he feels the need to make his hand into a gun despite having a rifle slung over his shoulder.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Well we have a lot of fires at school. Clearly the correct course of action is to allow students to bring flamethrowers to class. To burn the school down before the bad fire gets the school... Wait.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Trabisnikof posted:

The number of Americans who really really really want to dress up every day like they were in an active combat zone is...just sad really, given the hundreds of thousands of people fleeing active combat zones these days.

EDIT: Needs more bullet bandoliers though

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Gravel Gravy posted:

If you have an extended service plan though you can just pay $30 for a new one and you get to tell people you shot a guy. Win/Win/Win

Doesn't cover drops or blood splatter. You didn't read the fine print.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
speaking of overly confidant dumbshits.
http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/carson-doubles-down-his-imagined-heroism?cid=sm_fb_maddow

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I never understood why Americans are very prepared for war from an equipment perspective, but they don't give a gently caress about preparing for war from a physical health perspective. Your AR15 isn't going to stop hot lead from piercing the 100lbs of ballistic gelatin you've got hanging around your chest after you have an myocardial infarction.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

moller posted:

FAUXTON posted:

They're not shaking Toyota down. That whole unit in the Treasury department exists to investigate how terrorist groups fund and supply themselves, and since there isn't a new Japanese car dealership in Raqqa these days, they're asking Toyota to help them figure out how the trucks got from the factory to ISIS territory, like tracing a gun used in a crime.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Radbot posted:

I never understood why Americans are very prepared for war from an equipment perspective, but they don't give a gently caress about preparing for war from a physical health perspective. Your AR15 isn't going to stop hot lead from piercing the 100lbs of ballistic gelatin you've got hanging around your chest after you have an myocardial infarction.

One makes you instantly cool and badass while the other requires a strict diet and exercise regimen that is much less fun.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Radish posted:

One makes you instantly cool and badass while the other requires a strict diet and exercise regimen that is much less fun.

You can get moderately fit(not "just out of basic training fit", but still) just by doing a decent amount of exercise each day, you don't really need a strict diet as long as your regular diet isn't horrible. Just biking to work every day at my last job started taking off the pounds pretty rapidly and getting me back into decent shape.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Radbot posted:

Who needs to be in shape when I can shoot them from 300 feet away? :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Khisanth Magus posted:

You can get moderately fit(not "just out of basic training fit", but still) just by doing a decent amount of exercise each day, you don't really need a strict diet as long as your regular diet isn't horrible. Just biking to work every day at my last job started taking off the pounds pretty rapidly and getting me back into decent shape.

I did the reverse of this (eating a lot better and stopped almost all drinks except water while not really exercising much more) and lost a good deal of weight. But it would require both to get to the Rambo levels these guys think they are at because they own a cool military looking rifle.

• Locked thread