Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
lots of fighters move around between camps and locations a bunch, i don't think it's that big of a deal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Bubba Smith posted:

I don't think TJ is a bitch for leaving TAM. Team Alpha Male is a great camp but after so many years there TJ and the other little alpha males have mostly learned about all they can from Urijah and the other coaches/fighters. Even though TJ is way ahead of the rest of the division I don't think it's a bad idea to go train with new people and hopefully expand his game even further.

The quote TJ's new head coach gave on the situation sort of rubs me the wrong way though, to borrow that from Faber:

He's not wrong that it probably isn't a good idea for a champion to be worried about splitting his time between multiple camps, but I dunno, of course it's easy for Bowling to tell TJ not to worry about loyalty when the outcome is he gets a UFC champion training at his gym full-time. I don't think TJ is a snake in the grass but Leister Bowling sounds like one to me.

what the gently caress? it's really solid advice to not let personal relationships get in the way of business and that it's entirely possible to stop doing business with someone and still remain friends as long as nobody takes the decision too personally. i'm betting the fallout from this will be something along the lines of faber saying to tj 'i'll miss you bro' and then they work out in a small room one last time.

also faber has never taken fighting tj off the table even when they were both at tam because they are both professional fighters.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Normally I find wild speculation regarding nuanced facets of a change in a fighter's training camp to be tortured, but honestly it beats a lot of the stuff we could be discussing in a two week UFC drought coming off a week card, so by all means tell me how rude TJ is or how buttchin hurt Faber must be.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Bubba Smith posted:

Well it says right there in the quote he hasn't switched camps per se, not like how TJ just left TAM. Pettis is just doing a specific training camp with Duke Roufous and handpicked coaches/sparring partners near Roufusport. That ain't the same when most fighters "switch camps," i.e. they blame all their losses on the coaching and burn every bridge and move to Florida.

Anthony's being cagey, but talking to some of the guys I used to train with there, it sounds like Anthony asked for changes from Duke and he's being obstinate, and they are in the process of fully transitioning to their own gym. The holdup is that he hasn't nailed down full-time ongoing coaches for his own camp and he's being political to avoid burning bridges in the meantime.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

yeah

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
I kinda think Faber vs TJ will never materialize anyway because I think his time in the top of the division is going to be over very soon. He's already shown signs of slowing down in the Caceres and Rivera fights. Hopefully I'm wrong though, Faber in a final title fight vs the winner of Cruz/TJ will be great.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Marching Powder posted:

what the gently caress? it's really solid advice to not let personal relationships get in the way of business

especially when the guy giving said advice benefits from it the most, that was my point. Of course he's going to tell TJ not to worry about Faber & loyalty when he gets to train a UFC champion now and Urijah does not. I didn't say it was the wrong choice, just I didn't like the statement he gave about TJ's situation.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Bubba Smith posted:

especially when the guy giving said advice benefits from it the most, that was my point. Of course he's going to tell TJ not to worry about Faber & loyalty when he gets to train a UFC champion now and Urijah does not. I didn't say it was the wrong choice, just I didn't like the statement he gave about TJ's situation.

it doesn't matter if he stood to benefit from it or not there was absolutely nothing wrong with saying what he said as far as i'm concerned because the advice was solid.

mewse
May 2, 2006

"I think he's doing the right thing" says guy who has most to benefit from other guy doing the thing

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

mewse posted:

"I think he's doing the right thing" says guy who has most to benefit from other guy doing the thing

also said by anyone who thinks tj can make competent decisions regarding his career

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

I don't know anything about Holly Holm outside of Chael Sonnen saying all her championships are fake.

Does she stand a chance of delivering a fight as dramatic as that promo for the fight, or will this be over in 90 seconds?

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

Holly Holm eventually got bullied and outstruck in a round by people as talented as Raquel Pennington and wasn't dangerous enough to threaten a finish in the UFC so far. She has a lot of boxing wins but I think she basically never left Albuquerque, the talent pool in women's boxing is probably even worse than in MMA, and she also relentlessly ducked Cecilia Braekhus. In conclusion, Ronda will probably maul her. I guess it's interesting in the sense that someone who can basically negate Ronda's offense by never engaging might be able to boringly outpoint her but Ronda is way better than Raquel Pennington and Marion Renau and will probably be able to force the engagement.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

holly is very nearly dog poo poo in terms of mma proficiency and the fight is such a foregone conclusion in my mind that it is nearly terminally uninteresting, making the promo something truly remarkable.

ronda has beaten people way better than holly faster than i can turn off my alarm in the morning.

i will spend the very short time this retarded mismatch is taking place thinking about robbie and condit fighting instead. and how if they were the ones fighting right now i'd be in the arena watching it live instead of watching it at an absurdly packed bar.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
So the promo exists because they know how bad the fight will be? Makes sense. Although, even with destroying her opponents in under a minute, Ronda keeps popping those buyrates.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

People buy Ronda PPVs not because they expect a great competitive fight but to see what crazy poo poo she's going to win with and how long it's going to take.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Ronda doesn't so much close distance as view that she needs to get her arms under your arms and if a fist is in the way then break the fist on her own skull. Holm is dead.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

anyone who enjoys watching ronda will be pleased to know that jason 'mayhem' miller hosted a show called bully beatdown that's basically the same thing except this time you don't feel sorry for the people who can't meaningfully defend themselves

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Memento posted:

So the promo exists because they know how bad the fight will be? Makes sense. Although, even with destroying her opponents in under a minute, Ronda keeps popping those buyrates.

Quick someone try to work out why the Klitschko's can't draw a dime.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Lid posted:

Nobody wants to gently caress the Klitschkos.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Memento posted:

I dont know if you realised what can of worms you just opened before hitting post. Good luck.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

Memento posted:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Marching Powder posted:

anyone who enjoys watching ronda will be pleased to know that jason 'mayhem' miller hosted a show called bully beatdown that's basically the same thing except this time you don't feel sorry for the people who can't meaningfully defend themselves

It's not my fault that some of Jake Shields' proteges get taken the distance by the bullies.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Marching Powder posted:

You felt sorry for actors portraying roles in a scripted "reality" show involving teenage alpha males getting an asswhooping?

I mean, I've seen two videos from the show involving fighters that I actually know, I think one was Arlovski, but still...

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

It's not my fault that some of Jake Shields' proteges get taken the distance by the bullies.

a half blind gsp is a worse fighter than a fat guy with no fighting experience

Duzzy Funlop posted:

You felt sorry for actors portraying roles in a scripted "reality" show involving teenage alpha males getting an asswhooping?

I mean, I've seen two videos from the show involving fighters that I actually know, I think one was Arlovski, but still...

you may want to re-read what i wrote

Memento posted:

the last ronda fight i was at a bar that looked like it contaitned a shitload of guys who were dragged there by their girlfriends.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfiI-8AfPYw

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I guessed I missed all the Alpha Male chat today but it's gonna be weird if TJ does full camps at Elevated, when Team Alpha Male has basically an endless supply of sparring partners that are close to the size of bantamweight.

Maybe he's gotten to the point where he doesn't need to roll with the sharks every day, but I wonder how this might affect his fights? Especially if Cruz has a legit wrestling advantage. I guess Leister Bowling is a well known wrestling coach, but poo poo Thatch got ruined by Bendo and iirc he's been with Bowling his whole career.

outy
Aug 27, 2004

Memento posted:

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
I really hope Joanna doesn't break her hand or something dumb, I really want to see her go against Gadelha again

afatwhiteloaf
Oct 19, 2012

canoshiz posted:

Holly Holm eventually got bullied and outstruck in a round by people as talented as Raquel Pennington and wasn't dangerous enough to threaten a finish in the UFC so far. She has a lot of boxing wins but I think she basically never left Albuquerque, the talent pool in women's boxing is probably even worse than in MMA, and she also relentlessly ducked Cecilia Braekhus. In conclusion, Ronda will probably maul her. I guess it's interesting in the sense that someone who can basically negate Ronda's offense by never engaging might be able to boringly outpoint her but Ronda is way better than Raquel Pennington and Marion Renau and will probably be able to force the engagement.

The talent pool in women's boxing is better than the talent pool in women's MMA, like this is true for every sport. The thing is Holly Holm only ever won by home town decisions after 12 rounds of firing meaningless flurries and clinching while her opponent tired out in the thinner atmosphere of ALBQ or cut stoppages that probably wouldn't happen in a mens fight (also the cuts where probably opened by a her headbutting the opponent while clinching). In the fight where she got knocked out the ref literally helps her back up to her feet after ruling a knockdown a slip and then later disentangles her from the ropes and helps her back up again in the seventh round before finally stopping the fight after she gets knocked down again. It was great. Anyways Holm has apparently been training with Jon Jones for this fight so I think she's going to adopt his strategy for keeping the opponent at a distance

Since Ronda like sprints across the cage this isn't actually a bad idea if you don't give a poo poo about things like rules and sportsmanship.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

People like Ronda's fights because she is loving exciting and lordie does that woman put on a show.

Same reason people like Joanna Champion; she punches people in the face in exciting fashion.

Compare that to fights such as Bader/Rashad, which was the polar opposite of what could be called "exciting", to find why people are happy about a breath of fresh air.

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.
If Ryan Bader fought opponents of the caliber that RR fights he'd be the most dynamic knockout artist in MMA history.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Keven. Just. Keven posted:

If Ryan Bader fought opponents of the caliber that RR fights he'd be the most dynamic knockout artist in MMA history.

Who is better at 135 than the people she fights?

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

That's the point

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Lid posted:

Because they throw about the same number of strikes Ronda does but stretched out over 8-12 rounds.

The Klitschko's are really, impressively good but seeing someone jab their outmatched opponent's face off for 7 rounds before deciding to maybe throw a right hand or two isn't as exciting as seeing someone take out their outmatched opponent in an animated gif timeframe.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

fatherdog posted:

Because they throw about the same number of strikes Ronda does but stretched out over 8-12 rounds.

The Klitschko's are really, impressively good but seeing someone jab their outmatched opponent's face off for 7 rounds before deciding to maybe throw a right hand or two isn't as exciting as seeing someone take out their outmatched opponent in an animated gif timeframe.

For the most part this is true but gsp/koscheck 2 was fantastic

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Mr. Nice! posted:

I'd have a go, I've been arm barred by a much fiercer mma fighter

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

willie_dee posted:

I'd have a go, I've been arm barred by a much fiercer mma fighter

youre not better than meisha tate though

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Lid posted:

The Klitchko's do make a poo poo ton of money. They just do it in Europe where their fan base is and they make money without you hearing about it.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Keven. Just. Keven posted:

Ryan Bader got knocked down and guillotined by Jacob Christopher Ortiz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

You know UFC wasn't all that great when the divisions first started.

Remember Tim Sylvia? His greatest skill was "Being Fat." He was champion for a long time.

Give the Women's divisions some time to flesh out, and I think we'll see some damned good fights, and their popularity will only grow.

FFS We have a card headlined by TWO Women's championships and it's gonna be amazing.

• Locked thread