Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

JosephWongKS posted:

Luffy, Zoro, Ussop and Law all turned their heads around at the mention of "ninja". Even Law is excited about ninja. :allears:

I'm imagining Law with the same sparkly eyes just off-panel, and it's cracking me up. I'm anticipating great things when the crew meet up with this ninja. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah, the BB pirates alternate between looking like major threats (dealing a wound to Shanks before getting the Dark Dark Fruit, beating Ace, tanking Sengoku's attack without really taking much damage besides the standard anime blood cough, stealing WB's fruit) and coming off as major wusses (BB getting for his life in front of WB, ganging up against a dying WB, getting destroyed by Magellan, Jesus coming off as a total bitch in comparison to Sabo) so it's really hard to get a good measure of their strength.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I'm mostly confused how Burgess not only got wrecked, but wrecked so badly that he can barely move and got punched straight to another island Wapol-style. At least after dealing with New World poo poo for two years.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

He got away from Dressrosa by sneaking onto a boat. It happened to the Revolutionary Army's. Presumably he has been passing in/out of consciousness for... two weeks(?!) because Sabo dunked on him so hard.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Shiliew/Shiryuu is trying to look like Harlock so hard.

Buggy's crew always looks like it's having an awesome time. He's the best. Either he's gotten taller from being a Shichibukai, or he's separated his hands and head and attached them to a black sheet to look bigger in front of his men.

Green Intern fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Oct 7, 2015

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Green Intern posted:

Buggy's crew always looks like it's having an awesome time. He's the best. Either he's gotten taller from being a Shichibukai, or he's separated his hands and head and attached them to a black sheet to look bigger in front of his men.
I think we know Buggy well enough at this point to know which it is

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

deep space nein posted:

They were holding their own against Garp and Sengoku. I thinks it's more that Oda is trying to give Sabo instant credibility. He's Luffys "older brother" so I think by manga law he has to be nearly as strong

It's called the Worf Effect.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Jobbing, probably. TV Tropes is an unfortunate situation.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Cat Machine posted:

I think we know Buggy well enough at this point to know which it is

Whatever's the flashiest.

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
Galdino looking good. Wish he had actually said something though.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Climbing Dragon and Robin's reaction to it were top tier cute.

I really hope Blackbeard doesn't wipe out too many important revolutionaries. :( He's definitely supposed to be the endgame, so there's no way he loses again. Probably, anyway. Like someone else said, it's hard to tell with that group.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG
The ninja is going to end up being some Naruto clone in an orange jumpsuit, isn't he.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="451141256"]
The ninja is going to end up being some Naruto clone in an orange jumpsuit, isn't he.

Killer B clone.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

God drat, Sabo must've done a loving number of Jesus if he only just managed to wake up now. I mean, the ease in which Sabo dominated against Jesus really knocks down the supposed power of the BB pirates a peg. Granted, they probably have tricks up their sleeves. But still.

It's not too hard to believe when you really think about it; Sabo is Dragon's number 2 in command, who was doing just fine in the New World without his snazzy new Logia fruit abilities. Did you see how he took out that entire arena with a single shot? Dude hits like a locomotive, adding one of the strongest OP abilities on top of that is just cruel.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Parrotine posted:

It's not too hard to believe when you really think about it; Sabo is Dragon's number 2 in command, who was doing just fine in the New World without his snazzy new Logia fruit abilities. Did you see how he took out that entire arena with a single shot? Dude hits like a locomotive, adding one of the strongest OP abilities on top of that is just cruel.

I wouldn't say his DF is "one of the strongest" except in the sense that it's part of the "strongest" classification of fruits (logia( ignoring mythical zoan which is currently arguably strongest)). It's definitely a strong ability but apparently is hard countered by the magma- man and everybody and their mother uses haki now so the logia invulnerability is not as big a deal as it once was.

I'd say "speed of light" or "restart my heart" or "literally destroy the earth with quakes" are all stronger, among many others.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Crazyeyes posted:

It's definitely a strong ability but apparently is hard countered by the magma- s.

That had probably more to do with Ace being garbage when compared to Akainu.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Oct 7, 2015

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

deep space nein posted:

They were holding their own against Garp and Sengoku. I thinks it's more that Oda is trying to give Sabo instant credibility. He's Luffys "older brother" so I think by manga law he has to be nearly as strong

It felt like octopusman in the Fishman Island arc to me. When a dude who's been hyped hard but hasn't actually done much gets chumped in an instant it makes the chumpee's hype look fake instead of passing that hype onto the chumper.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Climbing Dragon and Robin's reaction to it were top tier cute.

I really hope Blackbeard doesn't wipe out too many important revolutionaries. :( He's definitely supposed to be the endgame, so there's no way he loses again. Probably, anyway. Like someone else said, it's hard to tell with that group.

I could see them getting their poo poo packed, because honestly they don't matter. They instigate things, they pick on the weak like vultures, but they themselves aren't important. Tons of people have handed them their asses and they've only survived by luck. They could just as easily get dropped again just to show off how amazing the new characters are.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Boogaleeboo posted:

I could see them getting their poo poo packed, because honestly they don't matter. They instigate things, they pick on the weak like vultures, but they themselves aren't important. Tons of people have handed them their asses and they've only survived by luck. They could just as easily get dropped again just to show off how amazing the new characters are.

Well Dragon called all of his leaders and Burgess told Admiral Blackbeard to send "everybody" so my guess is that it will be used to show off the extent of the Revolutionaries and BB pirates. My personal guess is that we will see a big battle where we see the big names we know and a few new ones on each side wreck a bunch of scrubs to show off their cool powers, but you won't see a big fight between Dragon and Blackbeard or Sabo and Shilliew or anything.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Crazyeyes posted:

It's called the Worf Effect.

Sabo is the 2nd in command of the Revolutionary Army, of course hes insanely strong. And now hes a Logia.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

KoB posted:

Sabo is the 2nd in command of the Revolutionary Army, of course hes insanely strong. And now hes a Logia.

Exactly. He needed to be instantly shown to be strong and competitive with the big boys. This is accomplished by laying the smack down on am already established strong dude.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Man, Mohji got fat.

And I can't wait for Luffy to be backed up by Buggy's crew.

dazoner
May 17, 2006

White People!
I love that Buggy is using his powers to appear larger than life that was brilliant on so many levels

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

dazoner posted:

I love that Buggy is using his powers to appear larger than life that was brilliant on so many levels

I like how he has founded some kind of pirate delivery company.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG
I'm thinking that Kanjuro's drawings are like Mr. Meseeks from Rick and Morty. Existence is pain to them.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Part of me is just happy to be seeing things that aren't revolving around Dressrosa, but even setting that aside these last couple chapters have me really hyped for this next arc.

It's also nice to see the Thousand Sunny again and I'm glad Robin likes the drawing monsters. :3:

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Crazyeyes posted:

I like how he has founded some kind of pirate delivery company.

Piraterie sans frontières

The world calls for ship-work, and we answer! No greater good. No just cause!

Indigo Cephalopods
Oct 26, 2012

Justice Rains From Above

Prison Warden posted:

Piraterie sans frontières

The world calls for ship-work, and we answer! No greater good. No just cause!

Bug Boss

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Looks like Buggy is finally applying some loving imagination to the use of his devil fruit powers.

And I am never going to loving get tired of the dude with drawing powers being a seriously really bad artist.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
So Jaya turned out to be a neat little arc. It accomplishes a surprising amount considering how short it is, and sets up a lot of dominoes to knock down later. Despite taking place on a smaller, more compact stage than Alabasta, it avoids feeling small by including larger events. Luffy and friends just saved a country; now we get to see how that ripples through the world.

Mock Town provides a fun parallel to Logue Town, both port cities not so much concerned with being the center of events as much as way stations for travelers to make a pit stop. Logue Town of course was under the protection of the Marines, the site of Gold Roger's execution, while Mock Town is a safe haven for pirates. The two bookend the Baroque Works Saga quite nicely.

We meet Bellamy here, Bellamy the Hyena, and he's a punk through and through. I think it's great that while obviously the locals tremble in fear of him, at no point does the actual story treat him like he's anything to write home about. I don't believe Oda ever intended the bounties in One Piece to function as power levels by proxy, but they play a similar role at least in letting us get a feel for who the bigger fish are. Crocodile had a (former) bounty of 81 million and was a Warlord of the Sea; this guy's only 50-something million, psh, who cares who he is or what he thinks about anything. Obviously, in-universe, others have reason to fear him, but we the readers know he's just a loud punk. Luffy and Zoro know it too. Actually, Luffy's behavior in general during this arc could be seen as him emulating his childhood hero Shanks. A lot of the same story beats present in the prologue are present again here. Fittingly enough, when it does come down to trading blows, Luffy knocks out Bellamy in a single shot (I love it when stories do this).

Oh yeah, I guess we also meet this guy.

Blackbeard is, in my opinion, the greatest shounen antagonist currently in publication, and still ranks highly next to his villainous forefathers whose glory days are no longer serialized. I don't even know where to begin with this guy. On a superficial level, there's the fact that Oda decided to make him fat, ugly, and unhygienic in stark contrast to the usual shounen stereotype of the final boss being either beautiful and graceful or at least stately and commanding.

On a more meaningful level,

he's a dark mirror to Luffy, an alternative rather than an antithesis. An easy trick to writing villains is simply to make them represent the opposite of whatever the hero stands for. Does the hero believe in power of friendship? The villain sees all his underlings as disposable pawns. Is the hero a hard worker? The villain's a cheat, or was born into power and privilege. One of the more common pairings is to have an existentialist hero matched against a nihilistic villain (if you want an example, see most Final Fantasy games).

Anyway, none of that matter her because Blackbeard's a level beyond that. His convictions are the same as Luffy's. He's a man who believes in dreams. What he lacks that Luffy has is basic human goodness. Put another way, he's what Luffy could easily become if he lost his moral compass. That makes him interesting. It's also an interesting reminder of what pirates represent to most people who aren't blinded by the romanticism of high adventure. Thus far in the story there have been far more "Evil" pirates than "Good" pirates. Luffy's an anomaly, not the norm.

In between all of this we get to hang with Cricket and his not-ape buddies. Cricket's a real cool character, and I'm not just saying that because I like grumpy old guys. Beneath One Piece's cartoony, feelgood, cotton candy exterior, there's a certain vein of painful truth. In a lot of ways it's quite similar to Hunter x Hunter in this regard, though Togashi's efforts are a bit more on the nose. Anyway, Cricket's an old man with a troubled history who actually acts and behaves like an old man with a troubled history, and that's pretty cool in a medium where a lot of adult characters often jut come off like "Older" teenagers. He's a gruff ol' coot with a no-nonsense attitude and a ton of emotional baggage. Even so, he still dreams. When Bellamy tries to crush those dreams, of course Luffy would avenge him. Luffy's warned if he takes too long, their log pose will reset and they'll lose any chance to go into the sky. Doesn't matter. Keeping a friends' dream alive is more important than even a fabled floating island.

Anyway, yeah, sorry if I wrote too much there, Jaya's just something I only ever remembered from my first read in the vaguest sense, so revisiting it proved to be quite the impactful experience.

Next up whenever I get around to reading it: Skypiea. Don't actually recall having too much of a positive impression of this one the first time around, so I'll be especially interested to see how my opinion's changed (assuming it's changes).

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Suaimhneas posted:

I'm imagining Law with the same sparkly eyes just off-panel, and it's cracking me up. I'm anticipating great things when the crew meet up with this ninja. :allears:
I am half-expecting Naruto jokes to come up, such as Law asking to examine Ryouzou's eyes to see if there's anything up with them. Naturally, Luffy's first question (after asking him to join up) will be to aks if the ninja can poop quietly.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Skypeia's main problem is the lack of variety in scenery, to me. It goes on a long time, sure, but no particular battle or situation takes an excessive amount of time to resolve aside from the fight with Enel. Also there's like 4 different factions roaming around Upper Yard all getting into conflicts with one another, which is something I'm a huge sucker for, so I'm not as critical of the arc as a lot of people, probably.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Let me tell you I feel so loving gratified

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Jaya and Skypeia loving owned

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

AnonSpore posted:

Jaya and Skypeia loving owned

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Alabasta and Water7/Enies Lobby are probably my favorite arcs, but Jaya/Skypeia is probably the most fun for me.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

JosephWongKS posted:

Luffy, Zoro, Ussop and Law all turned their heads around at the mention of "ninja". Even Law is excited about ninja. :allears:

And Robin doesn't care.

Crazyeyes posted:

I wouldn't say his DF is "one of the strongest" except in the sense that it's part of the "strongest" classification of fruits (logia( ignoring mythical zoan which is currently arguably strongest)). It's definitely a strong ability but apparently is hard countered by the magma- man and everybody and their mother uses haki now so the logia invulnerability is not as big a deal as it once was.

Despite Magma Man's claims to the contrary, Ace seemed to be doing fine. The only real reason that he lost is that Luffy was doing dumb Luffy poo poo and stopped paying attention. So Ace had to purposefully take a fist that hosed up Whitebeard with no protection. If the fight had gone on without interruption it likely would have lead to more or less a stalemate. Yeah, magma's hot as poo poo, but Ace could apparently reach solar temps.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Bad Seafood posted:

Anyway, yeah, sorry if I wrote too much there, Jaya's just something I only ever remembered from my first read in the vaguest sense, so revisiting it proved to be quite the impactful experience.

:golfclap: It was fun to read your thoughts.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
It's actually been long enough that I don't even remember what any of my particular problems with Skypiea were, just that I recall generally disliking it.

For anybody following either of the Jojo threads though, I first read Skypiea around the same time I read Part 4, and I disliked Part 4 back then too so I'm not inclined to take my past opinions on One Piece all that seriously as I forge ahead into the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Gyges posted:

Despite Magma Man's claims to the contrary, Ace seemed to be doing fine. The only real reason that he lost is that Luffy was doing dumb Luffy poo poo and stopped paying attention. So Ace had to purposefully take a fist that hosed up Whitebeard with no protection. If the fight had gone on without interruption it likely would have lead to more or less a stalemate. Yeah, magma's hot as poo poo, but Ace could apparently reach solar temps.

Uhh it's entirely Ace's fault. He turned back to take taunts from a man that was obviously goading him, immediately got beaten in their first clash because magma beats fire in this scenario ( don't know why, but if candlewax beats poison no point questioning it) and Luffy who is basically on fumes at this point ( How is he doing anything dumb here? If anything he's the level headed one out of the two when he tells Ace to ignore him and keep running) collapses on the spot. Ace would've lost if they kept fighting and Luffy collapsing just sped up that result.

If anything blame the Whitebeard pirates for not forming up around them and getting them the hell out of there, instead of only putting Luffy who is clearly exhausted and about ready to collapse as his only defense.