Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

schmagekie posted:

I really need to do this to my 2012 Golf TDI... Hold off until the EPA/VW figures this out?

Same boat, I'm waiting so I can bring my car in and get it on the "compliant" list then I'll send the ecu off to malone and get it fixed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

meatpimp posted:

Yep, a BUNCH of torque. With just an APR tune, intake and turbo-back exhaust, my Jetta was a tire-ripping silly machine. I don't know about the 2.0 from experience, but the 1.8T is absolutely hamstrung from the factory and responds very well to a couple minor tweaks.

I don't know which 2.0 he has but the EA888 picks up like 75hp and 120ftlb with the tune + dp. 400ftlb fwd :lol:
I'm doing it as soon as APR releases tunes for the 2016 GTI - the ECUs are locked.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

scuz posted:

From what I've read, the 8v 2.0L is a bit of a dog and doesn't respond well to tuning. I'm gonna try it anyway cuz I'm stuck with it so who cares.

I was talking about the 2.0 TSI/etc

I Am Not Spor
Dec 13, 2006
all the better to glomp you with

Bape Culture posted:

If I want a pretty car to drive to work and across the French Riviera for around £60k can anyone think of anything better and more special?

Alpina B6, Jaguar F-type, or Audi RS6 (do this one).

smax
Nov 9, 2009

In Mark 6 Golf news that has nothing to do with the diesel crisis, I just got a notice for a safety recall in the mail today. Apparently the steering wheel clock springs that connect the airbag are known to fail.

via
Dec 14, 2013

two_beer_bishes posted:

Same boat, I'm waiting so I can bring my car in and get it on the "compliant" list then I'll send the ecu off to malone and get it fixed.

Samesies. This poo poo's utter nonsense.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

smax posted:

In Mark 6 Golf news that has nothing to do with the diesel crisis, I just got a notice for a safety recall in the mail today. Apparently the steering wheel clock springs that connect the airbag are known to fail.

I got that one too, but my airbag light isn't on so whateva, I'll wait till they do an actual recall.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Apparently they've figured out who to throw to the wolves.

Bild am Sonntag as quoted by CBC posted:

Volkswagen diesel engines equipped with defeat devices meant to cheat on emissions tests have been in use since 2008, according to German media reports.

German newspaper Bild am Sonntag and other media outlets reported that the automaker devised the software cheat after realizing that a new diesel engine, developed at great expense, could not meet pollution standards.
As the U.S. Congress prepares to question Volkswagen officials about the manipulation of American emissions tests, German media are reporting the company itself is focusing on three development managers who have been suspended.

Bild newspaper reported Sunday that Heinz-Jakob Neusser, head of development at VW, and engineers Ulrich Hackenberg and Wolfgang Hatz had been put on forced vacation in the wake of the scandal. Other newspapers had similar reports.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

BlackMK4 posted:

I don't know which 2.0 he has but the EA888 picks up like 75hp and 120ftlb with the tune + dp. 400ftlb fwd :lol:
I'm doing it as soon as APR releases tunes for the 2016 GTI - the ECUs are locked.

Downpipe and stage2 on the R is almost 400hp, but I really need to recover from all the other expenses that came with the car first. Finally registered it Friday to the tune of 923 bucks :( Colorado registration fees are absurd.

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007

veedubfreak posted:

Downpipe and stage2 on the R is almost 400hp, but I really need to recover from all the other expenses that came with the car first. Finally registered it Friday to the tune of 923 bucks :( Colorado registration fees are absurd.

You should try GA. Granted it is a one time fee, but my 2011 GTI was 1300 dollars when I registered it in 2013.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

antisodachrist posted:

You should try GA. Granted it is a one time fee, but my 2011 GTI was 1300 dollars when I registered it in 2013.

Ya, unfortunately I have to pay a yearly registration fee that sucks for the first 10 years after the vehicle is bought. It goes down by age, but it's gonna suck for a few years.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

:eyepop:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Does Godwin's Law apply to comics?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
They confused Bro trucks with Beetles.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
we are all culpable oh god

Also I just found out that Portland windshield notice about how you're supporting Nazi Germany if you drive a TDI is real, lol.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

EngineerSean posted:

we are all culpable oh god

Also I just found out that Portland windshield notice about how you're supporting Nazi Germany if you drive a TDI is real, lol.

It's just perfectly emblematic of well-meaning young activists today -- all they need is a TL;DR version of the Wikipedia article to get outraged. Why bother with context (WW2 was 70 years ago, Nazi Germany doesn't exist anymore) or the actual details of history (the modern VW has more to do with the British than the Nazis) when a quick summary "VW = Nazis = Hitler" allows you to really get that righteous indignation-boner that really gets the retweets going?

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Imagined posted:

It's just perfectly emblematic of well-meaning young activists today -- all they need is a TL;DR version of the Wikipedia article to get outraged. Why bother with context (WW2 was 70 years ago, Nazi Germany doesn't exist anymore) or the actual details of history (the modern VW has more to do with the British than the Nazis) when a quick summary "VW = Nazis = Hitler" allows you to really get that righteous indignation-boner that really gets the retweets going?

I would have read this but it's more than 140 characters

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Imagined posted:

I don't think it's too unreasonable that you link a retro-styled car with the car that it was styled on and the person that was responsible for its conception.

EDIT: I mean, doing it with Hugo Boss is stupid, but if his summer collection had an outfit with jackboots and a red armband, I think you can point out the history there.

spog fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Oct 7, 2015

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I love the "VW was started by nazis" thing because it somehow assumes that a part of the nazi war machine was allowed to survive to this day, unchanged. It was effectively shut down when the nazis lost, and it was only started up again due to decisions by the decidedly non-nazi post war government. While there some weird pictures and some of the technology is the same they're not the same company.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.
But this time, it's diesel, not gas'?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
What are the plusses and minuses of the front license plate holders that bolt in to the tow hook on a Golf vs just having the mechanic mount one to the bumper?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Wipfmetz posted:

But this time, it's diesel, not gas'?

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Dead Reckoning posted:

What are the plusses and minuses of the front license plate holders that bolt in to the tow hook on a Golf vs just having the mechanic mount one to the bumper?

On the plus side, you preserve the bumper skin for someone down the line who may not need to mount the front plate. Easier removal for photo shoots and shows, if you're into that. Minus, it looks more wonky than if it were in the center, attracts more attention (usually a bad thing), and depending on the car, can block off a fog light or turn signal.

via
Dec 14, 2013
What's a good Haynes-style maintenance manual for my '14 2.0 JSW?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I didn't know this but apparently cold air intakes are illegal in California? Do they make intakes that *are* legal in California?

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

The Devil Tesla posted:

I love the "VW was started by nazis" thing because it somehow assumes that a part of the nazi war machine was allowed to survive to this day, unchanged. It was effectively shut down when the nazis lost, and it was only started up again due to decisions by the decidedly non-nazi post war government. While there some weird pictures and some of the technology is the same they're not the same company.

This was basically my point. There's no continuity other than the name. And while "people's car" might have been a Nazi idea, they basically failed at it.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

obi_ant posted:

I didn't know this but apparently cold air intakes are illegal in California? Do they make intakes that *are* legal in California?

Eh, I had a CAI on my 95 2.slow and it was "CARB approved". Also, who gives a poo poo, just put the air box back in if you have to go test.

As for front plates, just get one of the hideaway plate holders. I'm a rebel and just don't run a front plate cause it ruins the look of the front of the car. Last time I had a front plate was in 2003 and I've never been ticketed. *knocks on wood*

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
There´s a shop down the road that does Malone ECU tunes (quoted $650). I´m a car idiot and never this type of thing existed. Should I consider it for my 2015 manual sportwagen. Is the difference that noticeable?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
The way I understand it is that tuning really isn't worth it until you've done some other mods to the car, like a more aggressive camshaft or larger/added turbo or something. My knowledge on these things is pretty limited, but I don't have $650 to throw at something and see if it maybe works.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Withnail posted:

There´s a shop down the road that does Malone ECU tunes (quoted $650). I´m a car idiot and never this type of thing existed. Should I consider it for my 2015 manual sportwagen. Is the difference that noticeable?

you should wait till this emissions cluster is resolved before doing that.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Withnail posted:

Which engine? If it's the TDI I'd hold out and see where the emissions nightmare goes, if it's the gasser, go for it if you want the extra power, just know that it will pretty much void the warranty on any engine components and possibly driveline components. VW are kind of dicks when it comes to that TD1 flag.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
The 2015 TDI sportwagen engine is:

2.0L inline four cylinder, 16V, turbocharged/intercooled, DI
hp 150 @ 3500
torque 236 lb-ft @ 1750

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
http://malonetuning.com/20l-cr-tdi-150hp

Would take it to
177whp (200bhp) / 303lb-ft (342lb-ft crank)

The rest of the stuff is opinion, but tuning the ecu is generally the best bang for the buck performance modification.

BraveUlysses posted:

you should wait till this emissions cluster is resolved before doing that.

Also this.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Withnail posted:

The 2015 TDI sportwagen engine is:

2.0L inline four cylinder, 16V, turbocharged/intercooled, DI
hp 150 @ 3500
torque 236 lb-ft @ 1750

You could get a tuning box:

http://www.tdi-tuning.co.uk/car_and...chip_P6455.html

Gives good performance, has multiple maps on a single box and the advantage that you can unplug it before taking the car in for servicing and avoid warranty issues.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
95% of European diesels tested flunk emissions standards

http://arstechnica.com/cars/2015/10/95-of-european-diesels-tested-flunk-emissions-standards/

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

I'd say I'm shocked, but....

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
The tops of my strut mounts look just like the video in this product listing: http://www.usrallyteam.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=76_208_164&products_id=1796

They rattle and generally piss me off since all of it is brand new. Anyone used those poly strut mounts before?

edit: Oh, and anything to get rid of the loud cah-THUNK noise from the rear suspension? The cah-THUNK doesn't happen if there's any kind of weight in the back.

scuz fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Oct 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Consumer Reports ran some diesel's in "cheat mode". Got about 1/2 second slower to 60 mph and a 10% fuel economy drop.

http://jalopnik.com/this-is-how-much-fuel-economy-and-performance-drops-whe-1735705959

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/cars/testing-volkswagen-diesel-fuel-economy-and-performance-in-cheat-mode

Note: this may not be the fix VW goes with. It may cause durability issues or other problems.