Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Radbot posted:

I never understood why Americans are very prepared for war from an equipment perspective, but they don't give a gently caress about preparing for war from a physical health perspective. Your AR15 isn't going to stop hot lead from piercing the 100lbs of ballistic gelatin you've got hanging around your chest after you have an myocardial infarction.

Who needs workouts and self-discipline when you can light someone up with 400 rounds from your tactidad special?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Combed Thunderclap posted:

The number of Americans who really really really want to dress up every day like they were in an active combat zone is...just sad really, given the hundreds of thousands of people fleeing active combat zones these days.

EDIT: Needs more bullet bandoliers though

I blame video games.

I actually, legitimately, blame video games and American media.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Crain posted:

I blame video games.

I actually, legitimately, blame video games and American media.

I blame the deep insecurity of middle-class white males.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Combed Thunderclap posted:

The number of Americans who really really really want to dress up every day like they were in an active combat zone is...just sad really, given the hundreds of thousands of people fleeing active combat zones these days.

EDIT: Needs more bullet bandoliers though
If they were dressing like they were in a war zone, you'd see more Adidas and black head wraps.

Radbot posted:

I never understood why Americans are very prepared for war from an equipment perspective, but they don't give a gently caress about preparing for war from a physical health perspective. Your AR15 isn't going to stop hot lead from piercing the 100lbs of ballistic gelatin you've got hanging around your chest after you have an myocardial infarction.

Why not both?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fq-hQYcoVmw

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Zeroisanumber posted:

That too.

But American media taught them that "guns" are the solution to their small penises.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Zeroisanumber posted:

Bystander opens fire on a shoplifter in a crowded parking lot in Auburn Hills, MI. Luckily, no one was hurt this time.

This is an excellent example of what concealed carry classes tell you to never, ever do. Also an excellent example of the fact that the public is too idiotic to be trusted with loaded guns.

The Detroit Free Press an exceedingly unfortunate domain name.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Zeroisanumber posted:

Take that back!

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Radbot posted:

lmao please elaborate

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

gradenko_2000 posted:

The Detroit Free Press an exceedingly unfortunate domain name.

iirc they're reclaiming the word

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

http://read.bi/1JQyU1i

That drug that had the 5000% price increase that he said he was going to lower the price of? It's the same price.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Crain posted:

That too.

But American media taught them that "guns" are the solution to their small penises.

You know, I don't even think that it's about dicks. I think that it's more about a sense that their social and economic dominance is waning and the general hollowness of the modern masculine image.

Viper915
Sep 18, 2005
Pokey Little Puppy

Khisanth Magus posted:

You can get moderately fit(not "just out of basic training fit", but still) just by doing a decent amount of exercise each day, you don't really need a strict diet as long as your regular diet isn't horrible. Just biking to work every day at my last job started taking off the pounds pretty rapidly and getting me back into decent shape.

But if I bike to work, how am I supposed to roal coal on pedestrians, hybrids, and other cyclists?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Luigi Thirty posted:

http://read.bi/1JQyU1i

That drug that had the 5000% price increase that he said he was going to lower the price of? It's the same price.

Hmmm it seems transient social awareness of the problem didn't work this time!

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Volkerball posted:

lmao please elaborate

On what? How objectively fat Americans are or how they objectively love guns?

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

zoux posted:

Hmmm it seems transient social awareness of the problem didn't work this time!

Yep, just give empty statements that seem like promises as long as you don't look at them too closely, wait for the public's butterfly attention span to wane, then go back to ripping off sick people.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Khisanth Magus posted:

Yep, just give empty statements that seem like promises as long as you don't look at them too closely, wait for the public's butterfly attention span to wane, then go back to ripping off sick people.

Well at least Kony is in jail and our girls were brought back.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Gravel Gravy posted:

Maybe Andy Kaufman never died but just moved to Vermont?

I still maintain that Kaufman went black-face ala RDJ in Tropic Thunder only to become the CEO of Godfather's Pizza.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

A Winner is Jew posted:

I still maintain that Kaufman went black-face ala RDJ in Tropic Thunder only to become the CEO of Godfather's Pizza.

Life can be a challenge when there's so much on the line.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Radbot posted:

On what? How objectively fat Americans are or how they objectively love guns?

Oh you were talking about civilians, my bad. I thought you were saying the infantry doesn't put any emphasis on physical fitness, and I was like uh my knees beg to differ.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Viper915 posted:

But if I bike to work, how am I supposed to roal coal on pedestrians, hybrids, and other cyclists?

Attach a coal grill to the back of your bike. That way you always have fresh hotdogs to snack on after your workout. :eng101:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Khisanth Magus posted:

You can get moderately fit(not "just out of basic training fit", but still) just by doing a decent amount of exercise each day, you don't really need a strict diet as long as your regular diet isn't horrible. Just biking to work every day at my last job started taking off the pounds pretty rapidly and getting me back into decent shape.

Hell, just get a physical job.

After working in the back of a kitchen, doing 6-10 hour standing shifts I lost 10-15 lbs and all around feel better. Still wish I had a better job, but right now it's like I'm being paid to go to a gym.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments
Ben Carson is right, we should not politicize this tragedy. Instead, we should blame the victims.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Zeroisanumber posted:

Fear and insecurity is the human condition. Especially if you have your basic needs already met to the point where your time isn't spent worrying about them.

Personally, I prefer escapism to toting guns in public, but hey.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

He's hardly the first to advocate such a well-thought-out course of action:

quote:

I'd also like us to encourage people to gang rush shooters, rather than following their instincts to hide; if we drilled it into young people that the correct thing to do is for everyone to instantly run at the guy with the gun, these sorts of mass shootings would be less deadly, because even a guy with a very powerful weapon can be brought down by 8-12 unarmed bodies piling on him at once. Would it work? Would people do it? I have no idea; all I can say is that both these things would be more effective than banning rifles with pistol grips.

Kindergarten Kamikazes: a sensible alternative to maybe making it harder for the dangerously unstable from getting heated.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Kindergarten Kamikazes: a sensible alternative to maybe making it harder for the dangerously unstable from getting heated.

Literally the idea Mac and Charlie had in the Always Sunny episode Gunfever 2.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Zapp Brannigan is too accurate to be a parody.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
I hate how gun control or making it harder for people with diagnosed mental health issues is such a non-starter that ideas like that seem reasonable. We can't stop crazy people from getting guns, because they're so readily available since we need to all have access to them to protect us from crazy people getting guns.

So, instead, let's make armored lunch trays and have our children drilled to form testudos at the first sign of trouble.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Following the success of the House Permanent Select Committee on Benghazi, the House Permanent Select Committee on Planned Parenthood Atrocities should be authorized today.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Talmonis posted:

Fear and insecurity is the human condition. Especially if you have your basic needs already met to the point where your time isn't spent worrying about them.

Personally, I prefer escapism to toting guns in public, but hey.

I read the news and follow politics out of the misguided hope that understanding what's going on in the world will give me some power to affect it. I might as well decide to go beat up the ocean, but at least it keeps me from doing even dumber poo poo.

MC Nietzche
Oct 26, 2004

by exmarx

SquadronROE posted:

I hate how gun control or making it harder for people with diagnosed mental health issues is such a non-starter that ideas like that seem reasonable. We can't stop crazy people from getting guns, because they're so readily available since we need to all have access to them to protect us from crazy people getting guns.

So, instead, let's make armored lunch trays and have our children drilled to form testudos at the first sign of trouble.

I know it's not funny and really tragic but the idea of children forming a testudo on command with lunch trays for shields has me in stitches.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Captain_Maclaine posted:

"I'm literally Rambo irl, fight me" - Ben Carson, probably

Granted, I'm not the most educated guy on this subject, but wouldn't that just make it easier for hot lead to be pumped into me?

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
A quick reminder that Martin Shkrely has not lowered the price of that AIDS drug. It still costs $30,000 a month and Marin Shkreli has not been violently torn apart by a mob of justified people yet.

http://www.businessinsider.com/martin-shkreli-update-on-daraprim-price-2015-10

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

MC Nietzche posted:

I know it's not funny and really tragic but the idea of children forming a testudo on command with lunch trays for shields has me in stitches.

It's almost that, but...

http://www.denverpost.com/nationworld/ci_23089443/minn-school-district-gets-bulletproof-whiteboards

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Volkerball posted:

:laffo: This sure is a fun cop out for people to resort to in DnD. Here's a documentary on it from known Breitbart affiliate PBS if you're interested in learning something.
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/rise-of-isis/

The whole point of the surge was that it was a short term strategy. Even Bush and Petraeus described it as so at the time. It was meant to buy enough peace for us to get out and that was it. Which it did. You trying to claim it achieved longstanding permanence only to be bungled by Obama is stunningly ahistorical and a massive example of revisionist history.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
WaPo reports that Donald Trump has a "Wall of Shame" in his New York Trump Tower office, featuring downcast photos of Scott Walker

I really don't want him to ever stop

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Riosan posted:

Granted, I'm not the most educated guy on this subject, but wouldn't that just make it easier for hot lead to be pumped into me?

I don't know about you, but I'm taking the opportunity to get the hell out of dodge while you losers try to bumrush the shooter.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I'm really impressed that they came up with a worse gun idea than that "legalize open pointing" cartoon.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

What if the House Can't Elect a New Speaker?

Just after Boehner announced his resignation there was speculation about his successor. Since it's the whole House voting, margins are tight but McCarthy looked like he was in a strong enough position to still win with a few defections. With Chaffetz and Webster throwing their hats in plus some ill-advised comments on McCarthy's part, things are much less certain now.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

"Really if you think about it, the problem is that our kids may just not be aggressive enough. They'll need aggression to survive in the job market, and we're doing all we can to convince them to solve problems with "words" and other stupid things that just make them weak. We should probably start feeding them foods that will encourage aggression during lunches." - Donald Trump, most likely soon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

This is like if I ran for president.

• Locked thread