Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Porting Final Fantasy games to every platform under the sun is probably pretty lucrative, but I have no clue why they pay those people to "modernize" the mobile version graphics instead of just porting existing ones

I'm completely talking out of my rear end here but I've read somewhere that part of the reason why remakes are so popular is because there are weird rights issues with the coding of old console games and remaking the game is actually cheaper and easier from a rights perspective than having to clear everything or risk liability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

That article is a bit silly but it's true that all the IOS ports of Square JRPGs look like loving crap.

Discount Viscount posted:

Dammit, now I do, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50J0Tb_u9q0&t=64s

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

The saddest part is how they could just literally license an emulator or program one themselves and call it a day. But that would be too logical.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Ekster posted:

The saddest part is how they could just literally license an emulator or program one themselves and call it a day. But that would be too logical.

Nah, I prefer remakes because they can rebalance or fix problems like berserkers attacking offscreen enemy tiles without enemies on them. But then they do things like make calm work appropriately, which destroys its only bit of usefulness in the game. Though gently caress the stupid sprites that look nothing like the fantastic artwork for the game.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Maybe it's because I wasn't a huge fan of the original sprite work to begin with but I never got the level of vitriol leveled at the mobile ports. It's not like they took Metal Slug and poo poo all over it. They took very low-complexity low-detail sprite work and replaced it with other low-complexity low-detail sprite work that looked a little less professional.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

bloodychill posted:

Maybe it's because I wasn't a huge fan of the original sprite work to begin with but I never got the level of vitriol leveled at the mobile ports. It's not like they took Metal Slug and poo poo all over it. They took very low-complexity low-detail sprite work and replaced it with other low-complexity low-detail sprite work that looked a little less professional.

The old sprites at least had charm and nostalgia going for them, the new ones are just bland and low effort.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

That article is a bit silly but it's true that all the IOS ports of Square JRPGs look like loving crap.

Except for Secret of Mana, which inextricably uses some of the assets that were going be used on the original game until it got downgraded to an SNES game.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Ekster posted:

They did an Android port of Secret of Mana that seems like that more or less, with button overlays. And yet somehow they still managed to gently caress it up and put some filters on it that make it look all muddy, and somehow managed to make it run worse than an emulator running the rom.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Sakurazuka posted:

The old sprites at least had charm and nostalgia going for them, the new ones are just bland and low effort.

this is essentially how I would explain it. The original sprites were a wonderful little thing from the days when developers were still trying to find out how the Super Nintendo worked. They were still using the super deformed sprites they'd always been using since the first Final Fantasy, but with Final Fantasy IV they began to increase the amount of shading they felt comfortable with. There was a lot of charm to it, and at the time, it was really something to look at.

The new sprites and world just feel extremely lazy. If they wanted to remake the game, they should have atleast put more then the minimum amount of effort into revamping it, because every single thing about all of the images I've seen screams "minimum effort." And aside from all that, with the battle sprites in the previous pixel-based versions, you could feel all of the energy and work the artists put into each frame. All of the iOS port's monsters just look like they took the work by Nomura and Amano, immediately turned it into vector lineart, touched up the colors, and called it a day. It removed all of that life that the sprites had.

As for the gameplay itself, I mean, even the original games weren't perfect. Like, FFVI always had the infamous glitch where evasion was actually a nonexistant stat in the game because of mixed up coding. They eventually fixed it for FFVI Advance, but it's a thing. And even then, I'd still prefer to play FFVI Advance or FFVI SNES over the newer remakes because they exude far more charm.

nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

Stalwart Guardian of the Lewd
I just hope someday to see a good SaGa game again. like, SF2 good.

in another topic, I seen goony things in the steam lobbies for torchlight 2 atm. do we have a thread for that?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Some of FF6's spritework, like the monsters and battle backgrounds, is gorgeous; idk where anybody gets off saying "charm and nostalgia" are all they have going for them

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Even the ugliest snes Squaresoft games were good examples of working within constraints, these ports have access to the entire color palette and don't have any guiding color principle or anything to unify any of the assets so it's all a big blobby mess.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Some of FF6's spritework, like the monsters and battle backgrounds, is gorgeous; idk where anybody gets off saying "charm and nostalgia" are all they have going for them

FF6 is insane when you consider that the same hardware that made

made

just three years later.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

i dont ge tit

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

the top one is betbbter

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

BROWN

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

If my post came off that way, I didn't mean for it to be. I think nostalgia definitely plays a part in games that are 20+ years old, but even then, FFV and FFVI have amazing monster sprite work that I absolutely love. FFIV not as much, but it just shows how much they learned in the time they spent developing on the SNES, like Sleeveless said.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/10/unionized-video-game-voice-actors-overwhelmingly-approve-strike-vote/

quote:

Members of the SAG-AFTRA union have overwhelmingly approved a measure authorizing an "interactive media" strike that could have wide-ranging impact on the availability of professional voice talent for video game projects. The union announced today that 96.52 percent of its members voted in favor of the strike. That's well above the 75 percent threshold that was necessary to authorize such a move, and a result the union is calling "a resounding success."
Thank god, now maybe we can have more than three voice actors in games.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Lmao if you think this will result in more varied voice talent. Acting guilds are the epitome of what happens when a union essentially becomes a corporation. which is insane because they get big enough to put a squeeze on loving Disney.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Nasgate posted:

Lmao if you think this will result in more varied voice talent. Acting guilds are the epitome of what happens when a union essentially becomes a corporation. which is insane because they get big enough to put a squeeze on loving Disney.

oh no not poor little disney

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

part of what gives the disney union such strength is that its super centralized and unless you got a good way to get like 50,000 scabs on short notice disney doesn't have much leverage.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Real hurthling! posted:

oh no not poor little disney

I was more pointing out that while these unions are big enough to gently caress with one of the biggest, if not the biggest media corporation in the world, they will use that power to put a stranglehold on new and old talent for their own profit instead of making the industry better for actors.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Nasgate posted:

I was more pointing out that while these unions are big enough to gently caress with one of the biggest, if not the biggest media corporation in the world, they will use that power to put a stranglehold on new and old talent for their own profit instead of making the industry better for actors.

laugh my butt off

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Nasgate posted:

i didn't realize scott walker had an account here

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

corn in the bible posted:

lol

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Knowing the industry, they will hire those youtube closet-based vocal talents for pennies on the dollar before they negotiate with a union.

Until the consumers quit buying lovely voice talent stuff because of the lovely voice talent despite the excellent. Then the industry will negotiate with the union.

Like Hayter/Sutherland, but if Sutherland was that one guy from the terrible LP youtube video.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

corn in the bible posted:

it's nice to see some honest-to-god uncle moneybags republican talking points instead of the usual autistic libertarian permavirgin ones though, you have to admit

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Nasgate posted:

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Oct 8, 2015

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

When's the last time PA was funny?

Also:

Nasgate posted:

lol what the gently caress is this.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

icantfindaname posted:

it's nice to see some honest-to-god uncle moneybags republican talking points instead of the usual autistic libertarian permavirgin ones though, you have to admit

Don't get me wrong, unions are great and necessary since we have a byzantine legal system that does its best to not protect its citizens. But at the end of the day a group taking money from another group to represent them has their own separate goals and agendas, and to pretend that they don't is as weird uncritical thinking as your uncle that believes Fox news. To put another way; If VA work was ruled by the employers, voice actors couldn't make a living. But if everything was how the Union wants it, Hayter wouldn't be Solid Snake. And i don't want to live in either of those worlds.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Nasgate posted:

Don't get me wrong, unions are great and necessary since we have a byzantine legal system that does its best to not protect its citizens. But at the end of the day a group taking money from another group to represent them has their own separate goals and agendas, and to pretend that they don't is as weird uncritical thinking as your uncle that believes Fox news. To put another way; If VA work was ruled by the employers, voice actors couldn't make a living. But if everything was how the Union wants it, Hayter wouldn't be Solid Snake. And i don't want to live in either of those worlds.

lol are you a child or something

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Nasgate posted:

This ain't games chat.

This ain't games chat at all.

E: Kotaku teaches you how to be a VidCon snob

Golden Goat fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Oct 8, 2015

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Atoramos posted:

Picked up The Beginner's Guide yesterday, a purported 'spiritual successor' to The Stanley Parable. I would not suggest this game to people who dislike 'walking simulator' games, or people who are wary at spending cash for short games (It takes about an hour and a half to reach the end). It probably doesn't deserve its own thread. That said, I thought it was an interesting narrative experience and personally enjoyed the title. Without getting into spoilers, the game plays with player expectations in an interesting fashion, and as a game developer the medium of 'small, somewhat-connected experimental games' resonated really well. Personally rate it a 7/10, would expect the average player to have a much lower opinion.

Spoiler to those who've played through: I like that it's left ambiguous whether the fictional developer Coda exists in the story of the game, or if Wreden is Coda. From one point of view, they could be the same person, as talking to one's self is certainly a heavy theme to the game. Wreden's alteration of the games you play feels very much like an artists internal back-and-forth of the accessibility of their work. On the other hand, they could easily be two people, with Wreden being absolutely nuts and literally adding meaning into Coda's games until Coda feels the need to say goodbye. I felt there were lots of good subtle moments that hint at how unreliable the narrator is. For example, Wreden interprets the 'clean the house before leaving' game as "one must always move on from places of comfort." Later he admits the original game never made you move on, and originally the housecleaning kept repeating. Either a story about forcing your own interpretations into the work of others, a story about an artist's drive to create, or a story about an insane gamedev, it was a pretty novel way to tell a tale. I very much doubt I would have appreciated this as much if I didn't have my own folder of half-created experimental games.

The game is really good. Here're some spoilered thoughts. But before that, a little advice to people who are about to play the game.

To really 'get' the game I would recommend playing Stanley Parable (both original and remake, and also its demo on Steam), read all lengthy reviews of Stanley Parable with the biggest words in them, watch every video produced by the creators of the game, and maybe read a bunch of books on the death of the author and articles exploring this concept in video games along with the death of the player. Only then you'll be able to understand how nuanced The Beginner's Guide is.

Now for speculation.
Coda doesn't exist. Like, it's very obvious. And there is no deeper meaning to his existence other than being instrumental to the 'reveal'. The character was dicking around in Source and his friend, Wreden, got obsessed with his game-doodles. That's the plot. The only way to make the game have a somewhat profound point is to say that the game is about perception of games, but in reality it's purposefully constructed as a bunch of 'cool' ideas with a 'cool' plot twist on top of them, just like Coda's games within it. To some extent I think reviews of this game are a part of it, figuratively if not literally. Some game reviewers completely ignore what's being told to their face and somehow praise/condemn the game as a heartfelt/heavy-handed exploration of creative struggles and some even go as far as making their reviews more about other reviews of the game than the game itself. It so perfectly illustrates the very humorous, in my opinion, point of The Beginner's Guide that I wouldn't be surprised if it was intentional at least on some reviewers' part. After completing Stanley Parable I've watched some streams with the creators of the game, where they quickly designed pseudo-pretentious games. They'd leave some lazy copy-pasted dialogue, gently caress up positioning of NPCs, etc. and with a chortle would comment how this all can be interpreted as a huge metaphor for something. That's basically what The Beginner's Guide is, but it's the player who's supposed to do the chortling. I'm also expecting some in-character interviews from Wreden where he would claim that the story is 100% real and very personal.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Golden Goat posted:

About the last time Cardboard Box A posted anything relevant or interesting.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUz9xCTOPRw

Great Joe fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Oct 8, 2015

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Sakurazuka posted:

About the last time Cardboard Box A posted anything relevant or interesting.

So, never?

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle

Nasgate posted:

I guess I'm missing the joke of the dog pile on this post but it's a pretty reasonable comment. Unionized workers tend to have better benefits than non unionized ones but that doesn't mean some unions don't warp the system to discourage or manipulate workers themselves. Thinking unions are free from any scumbaggery is pretty loving naive.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Golden Goat posted:

Their job posting where they wanted somebody to do four jobs for poo poo pay because they're "not a terribly money-motivated group" was pretty funny.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Can we get that in comic form though and post in on their site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not a Twat
Oct 11, 2010

Oops you almost got away without your Diddy

Paladinus posted:

The game is really good. Here're some spoilered thoughts. But before that, a little advice to people who are about to play the game.

To really 'get' the game I would recommend playing Stanley Parable (both original and remake, and also its demo on Steam), read all lengthy reviews of Stanley Parable with the biggest words in them, watch every video produced by the creators of the game, and maybe read a bunch of books on the death of the author and articles exploring this concept in video games along with the death of the player. Only then you'll be able to understand how nuanced The Beginner's Guide is.

No, The Beginner's Guide is 90 minutes long and it stands alone. It succeeds in what it tries to do but it's very unambitious and in my opinion isn't worth the money. The framing device of it being a collection of games is clever but it seems very convenient to me that Coda only ever built walking simulators and only ever designed one puzzle.

Just because The Stanley Parable was funny doesn't mean The Beginner's Guide is meant to be. Also, a lot of the wacky self-satirizing stuff in the Stanley remake didn't come from Wreden alone

Not a Twat fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Oct 8, 2015

• Locked thread