Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
univbee
Jun 3, 2004

BottledBodhisvata posted:

So this is a PS3 question but since the PS3 is old as gently caress and I can't find the thread for it, I'll ask here:

I'm trying to hook my PS3 back up again. I have a poo poo ton of Sony Playstation composite cables (with the three colored prongs) and an HDMI cable and neither of them appear to be working. I plug it into the AV In section on the back of my TV and nothing. I plug in the HDMI and nothing. I even swapped my PS4 HDMI cable and plugged that into the PS3 and still nothing. I'm quite perplexed, can anyone help me out? Is there some obvious thing I'm failing to do? I can't get signal on either the AV or the Component input settings on my TV ( a Haier HD TV if that helps)

Hold down the power button for a few seconds when you're powering it on, until it beeps a few times. This should reset the video output settings on the off-chance they're set to something your TV can't handle for whatever reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Manatee Cannon posted:

MGO's buddy isn't random. You select one during the game by saluting each other with R3.

Really? Odd, I always have been just assigned one at the start of the match.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It will assign you a random buddy if you don't pair up with anyone.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

blackguy32 posted:

MGO's buddy system is clunky poo poo. I like the system itself, but trying to buddy up at the beginning of the map is more difficult than it should be.

Your party should all be put into the same freeplay area before starting a round and you should be able to buddy up from there in a way that lasts across maps. The freeplay area being single player only doesn't make any sense. The area is totally barren and useless except as a shooting range.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Yeah put me in the camp of "not impressed with MG:O". I played for a couple of hours yesterday, and it was kinda fun, but not mind-blowingly awesome by any stretch. The ranking unlock system strikes me as one of those things that's horribly broken and in a few weeks entry level people won't be able to compete with higher ranked players. I'd be surprised if Konami doesn't offer a pay to level up system, if there isn't one already.

I found myself much more inclined to go play destiny or some other shooter that was designed around being a shooter, not a stealthy action game with shooter elements forced in. Granted MGS:V has the best shooter feel of any Metal Gear, but it's still pretty janky in comparison with other games. There are some flat-out bad design choices too. I managed to get stuck in a lobby with no way to back out except for restarting my app.

Ultimately I'll probably play it a handful of times more and never look back.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Manatee Cannon posted:

Your party should all be put into the same freeplay area before starting a round and you should be able to buddy up from there in a way that lasts across maps. The freeplay area being single player only doesn't make any sense. The area is totally barren and useless except as a shooting range.

Sucks as a shooting range too cause you dont get the red reticle to help you feel out shotgun ranges and such

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Super Meat Boy would have been a cool PS+ game if N++ hadn't come out a little while ago.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Can you change your class in MGO? That whole part was pretty poorly done since they just tell you to pick one without giving specifics or letting you try it out.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

Montalvo posted:

Super Meat Boy would have been a cool PS+ game if N++ hadn't come out a little while ago.

Though to be fair, N++ wasn't a plus game. Which is a shame because this might be the final nail in N++'s coffin.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

muscles like this? posted:

Can you change your class in MGO? That whole part was pretty poorly done since they just tell you to pick one without giving specifics or letting you try it out.

Once you set a class for a character, you are stuck with that class. You have to create a new character to try something different.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

No, but at level 6 you can make the other 2.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

That's just garbage design.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Get used to it.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

univbee posted:

Hold down the power button for a few seconds when you're powering it on, until it beeps a few times. This should reset the video output settings on the off-chance they're set to something your TV can't handle for whatever reason.

Brilliant, thanks.

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004

CountingWizard posted:

A couple of very important pieces of information about MGO:
  • Gear Points are used to unlock just about everything except for the five primary colors you can paint your guns; those require MB points.
  • Infiltrator gets some initial advantages very quickly, being able to stealth camo at level 2. Other classes get better advantages that can even cancel this out, but they come at later levels. Basically each class specializes more and more the higher level they are, and when they reach max level they get even more special class abilities.
  • Grouping together you will be split up if teams are not evenly matched the first game. Following games it will always try to put you on the same team.
  • To leave a game, push the left touchpad.
  • All games are played in 2 rounds, with the winner of both rounds determining the winner of the match, or a tie being broken by total points.
  • Bounty Hunter is the most balanced mode right now, just make sure you avoid servers that have tickets set to 100 and 20 or 30 minute matches.
  • Cloak and Dagger is super hard to win as attacker. More strategies may open up at higher levels, but at lower levels you don't have the equipment to help you deal with the large groups of players camping the objectives.
  • Comm Control is hard to win as defender, since you need to control all three or at least two objectives at all times. It probably becomes easier as you level and unlock things like mines, claymores, and other stationary defensive items.
  • Not all the cosmetic options are on display at low level. It is specifically mentioned that ascending your character unlocks class specific suits.
  • The best way to play is to form a group of 3 or 4 people, and start your own server and playlist. Pubbies join in pretty fast once you start with a large enough group.
  • Rush mode is the call-of-duty of game modes, in that you will spawn and instantly be within sight of at least 1 enemy since the map has been restricted down to a smaller area.
  • If playing by yourself you should link with another player. I believe you start out automatically linked at random, but you can choose by having both players hold down r3 while near each other. Stick with your buddy to prevent easy CQC's and cover each other's backs.
  • Use mines and distractors to cover your rear. Like put them in doorways you aren't watching so that when someone triggers it, they are frozen or exploded in place. You'll hear or get a reward that flashes on-screen when this happens, so that you can turn around and deal with them.
  • If server be lagging, leave the game. Host will probably quit anyways.
  • Night Vision Goggles should show you invisible peoples and let you mark them.

Requoting. Read this if you are thinking about playing MGO. The game does have its flaws, but some of it is just poorly explained since there is so much to explain.

Mister Chompers
Sep 11, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

That would have been nice, I do prefer screwing around there to sitting in a menu while waiting for a match like most games though.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

BottledBodhisvata posted:

I'm trying to hook my PS3 back up again. I have a poo poo ton of Sony Playstation composite cables (with the three colored prongs) and an HDMI cable and neither of them appear to be working. I plug it into the AV In section on the back of my TV and nothing. I plug in the HDMI and nothing. I even swapped my PS4 HDMI cable and plugged that into the PS3 and still nothing. I'm quite perplexed, can anyone help me out? Is there some obvious thing I'm failing to do? I can't get signal on either the AV or the Component input settings on my TV ( a Haier HD TV if that helps)

This sounds similar to my old PS3 problem; while the original AV cables worked fine, HDMI constantly resulted in no output, and resetting my video settings never seemed to make a difference. I don't want to take it in to get repaired when I plan on selling it once my backlog is cleared, has anyone here had to replace the HDMI hardware in the console itself before?

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Played the Battlefront beta for about an hour yesterday and my early thought is: meh.

When I started playing and I wasted some dude with awesome Star Wars blaster sounds, I was pumped. From then on things just started to slip. The 16-player mode they start you out on feels way too small but the map seems too big. I was also getting pummeled from high up by people with jet packs that you apparently can unlock at some point. I was stuck on the ground and our team got annihilated repeatedly.

Went on to the 40-player map where you either defend Hoth base vs AT-ATs, or attack the base and have to keep the AT-ATs alive. It's a lot more fun, but I still don't think it captures the Battlefield feeling they are going for. One of the big things is that there are huge cannons everywhere. AT-ATs, mounted emplacements, etc. They are all over the map, and a lot of the map is big and open and flat. So you get wrecked from afar with no chance to defend yourself, often right after spawning.

The sounds are cool, and the first time I ran around a corner and Luke Skywalker kicked my rear end was neat, but I didn't really feel it had much else going for it. The second time I saw Skywalker I hopped into a turret and blew him up.

The map sizes seem too big in trying to create this grand scale to things, the one-shot cannons all over the place really kind of suck, and the skylords are back (at least on the Hoth map) with X-Wings and Tie Fighters. Will be interesting to see how more modes and more unlocks change things, but right now I don't see myself dropping $80 CAD on this.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

dog nougat posted:

Yeah put me in the camp of "not impressed with MG:O". I played for a couple of hours yesterday, and it was kinda fun, but not mind-blowingly awesome by any stretch. The ranking unlock system strikes me as one of those things that's horribly broken and in a few weeks entry level people won't be able to compete with higher ranked players. I'd be surprised if Konami doesn't offer a pay to level up system, if there isn't one already.

I found myself much more inclined to go play destiny or some other shooter that was designed around being a shooter, not a stealthy action game with shooter elements forced in. Granted MGS:V has the best shooter feel of any Metal Gear, but it's still pretty janky in comparison with other games. There are some flat-out bad design choices too. I managed to get stuck in a lobby with no way to back out except for restarting my app.

Ultimately I'll probably play it a handful of times more and never look back.
My first game last night was against a team that had a couple level 10s on it. Guess what happened?

I don't think Konami really gives a poo poo, but it could be a really fun game if they'd add some way to match people of a similar level so noobs aren't getting put up against people who are at max level, and also add host migration. It's bullshit that you can go all the way through a match and then the host quits or drops and you don't get the xp. Like either have dedicated hosting so it doesn't matter or add host migrations, that's FPS 101 level poo poo.

I checked the stats for funsies and the top ranked person in each gametype had like 300k points :psyduck: Like holy gently caress that's a lot of poopsocking in a few hours.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

A reminder for those who picked up the 30% off Canada E3 deal: a few games, and Star Wars Battlefront is among them, got lowered to $64.95 briefly since then. If you pre-ordered during E3, you'll be able to get it for $64.95 with 30% off on top of that (and then tax/shipping as appropriate); a few games have been in the $52CAD range after taxes for me, when a "new" purchase would be about $40 more than that.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

My reasons for justifying buying Battlefront and being excited for it are sad because they are the same reason I wanted the games like Rogue Squadron when I was a kid.

"I wanna play Battlefront because you get to be a stormtrooper, and fly an X-wing, awesome! Oh man I can tow line the at ats? Cool cool! Pew pew pew I love laser guns, haha I am playing as a wookie with a laser crossbow cool!"

I really am the worst kind of fanboy. That being said, it will be nice to play a shooter for once where you are shooting something other than Arabs or Nazis.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DreamShipWrecked posted:

My reasons for justifying buying Battlefront and being excited for it are sad because they are the same reason I wanted the games like Rogue Squadron when I was a kid.

"I wanna play Battlefront because you get to be a stormtrooper, and fly an X-wing, awesome! Oh man I can tow line the at ats? Cool cool! Pew pew pew I love laser guns, haha I am playing as a wookie with a laser crossbow cool!"

I really am the worst kind of fanboy. That being said, it will be nice to play a shooter for once where you are shooting something other than Arabs or Nazis.

To be fair the Empire is just a Space Nazi Army. You're shooing Stormtroopers and everything.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

To be fair the Empire is just a Space Nazi Army. You're shooing Stormtroopers and everything.

Yeah but with lasers instead of bullets, it is totally different because

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Vince DiCola (composer of the original Transformers movie) did the music for Devestation. This pleases me greatly.

Mister Chompers
Sep 11, 2011

DreamShipWrecked posted:

That being said, it will be nice to play a shooter for once where you are shooting something other than Arabs or Nazis.

BF4 was US, China, and Russia and I think most of the MW games were US and Russia as well, do you just not play the big shooters?

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004

univbee posted:

A reminder for those who picked up the 30% off Canada E3 deal: a few games, and Star Wars Battlefront is among them, got lowered to $64.95 briefly since then. If you pre-ordered during E3, you'll be able to get it for $64.95 with 30% off on top of that (and then tax/shipping as appropriate); a few games have been in the $52CAD range after taxes for me, when a "new" purchase would be about $40 more than that.

I'm still on the fence about battlefront. BF4 was a kick in the dick on the computer, and I never got to play it like it is intended to be played. I hated the original battlefronts because again it was all about jetpack domination and tiny maps. Also the star wars guns and space ships were never satisfying to use.

It sounds like Hoth needs more hills and snow-drifts. Most of the turrets in the movie were for defending against capital ships in orbit (ion cannons); they only had a handful of turrets set along the trenches, and they were exceedingly fragile. From what I remember the AT-AT's were invulnerable against the turret fire, which is why they had to use the snow speeders to trip them and hit them in their unarmored necks. Hoth seems like one of those maps that should be divided into parts like in BF4. Once the trenches have been over-run you move into the base and clear it out, and finally finish it up by hunting down the evacuating ships as they flee the star system.

Can I get access to the battlefront beta from the ps store or do I have to buy a pre-order?

CountingWizard fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Oct 7, 2015

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Plus there's a zillion games where you can shoot aliens.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Schremp Howard posted:

Vince DiCola (composer of the original Transformers movie) did the music for Devestation. This pleases me greatly.

Oh poo poo, really? I didn't notice lol

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004
If the new battlefront has really large maps, I hope that mechanized infantry is a thing. Deploying dropships and trucks of troops sounds pretty dope.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Any Preload-ability on Battlefront? If not, when is it supposed to go live for download and/or play? (if it has been mentioned...)

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
http://www.gamespot.com/videos/is-the-star-wars-battlefront-beta-too-casual-the-l/2300-6427494/

looks pretty casual, and not great. guess we'll see in a few days.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bx2GE2A7Kdk

are they even trying anymore

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

DreamShipWrecked posted:

That being said, it will be nice to play a shooter for once where you are shooting something other than Arabs or Nazis.

Destiny has been the most original FPS in years.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

It would seem not. i'd buy it for $5 if I had nothing else to play I guess. I'm sure it'll be at least $20 though.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

my nostalgia is pulling me in... save me

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

One of the companies involved is called GameMill. Seems appropriate.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Twibbit posted:

my nostalgia is pulling me in... save me

Don't! Goosebumps is better left as nostalgia! Go toward Are You Afraid of the Dark instead. It still holds up and is great.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

mikeycp posted:

Don't! Goosebumps is better left as nostalgia! Go toward Are You Afraid of the Dark instead. It still holds up and is great.

I didn't watch the show, I read the books!

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Oh no not a casual game, you people are the loving worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I said come in! posted:

Destiny has been the most original FPS in years.

True, at least we have that. I guess I just sick of the Cods and Battlefields. Doesn't stop me from buying them though :v:

Also, isn't goosebumps getting a movie?

• Locked thread