Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Riosan posted:

"I'm literally Rambo irl, fight me" - Ben Carson, probably

Granted, I'm not the most educated guy on this subject, but wouldn't that just make it easier for hot lead to be pumped into me?

Eventually the pile of bodies would form a wall around him and he would be stuck, problem solved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

If one of those pie in the face guys gets Carson it would be nice if for the rest of his campaign people would say "you would be dead just like those victims if he was actually a shooter" but that would require the GOP candidates to be even the smallest bit critical of insane gun policies so...

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Oct 7, 2015

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

I AM A WHINY LITTLE EMOTIONAL BITCH BABY WITH NO SENSE OF HUMOR

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING REMIND ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

1337JiveTurkey posted:

What if the House Can't Elect a New Speaker?

Just after Boehner announced his resignation there was speculation about his successor. Since it's the whole House voting, margins are tight but McCarthy looked like he was in a strong enough position to still win with a few defections. With Chaffetz and Webster throwing their hats in plus some ill-advised comments on McCarthy's part, things are much less certain now.

Because what America really needs is a constitutional crisis

And, I mean, this doesn't seem like an implausible scenario. In fact it looks like the most likely scenario. You have three basic voting groups in the House, none of them can elect a Speaker without the assistance of the others, and it's hard to see who's going to flinch. Doesn't help that the Republicans don't seem to have any particularly compelling leaders waiting in the wings at this point.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I actually laughed out loud at the "The shooter can only shoot one person at a time, he cannot shoot a group of people" line.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I wish Robert Costa was reporting on rhe house leadership clusterfuck instead of chasing Trump around.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Riosan posted:

"I'm literally Rambo irl, fight me" - Ben Carson, probably

Granted, I'm not the most educated guy on this subject, but wouldn't that just make it easier for hot lead to be pumped into me?

It's obviously stupid so nobody will try it, meaning it can't be proven wrong and they can bring it up as a talking point for as long as they want.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Phone posted:

I actually laughed out loud at the "The shooter can only shoot one person at a time, he cannot shoot a group of people" line.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

quote:

@sahilkapur: House conservatives say they want to use the debt limit deadline to extract concessions. They'll demand this of the next Speaker.

@sahilkapur: Rep. Labrador says a debt default would be Obama's fault if he won't negotiate. "If he's willing to default on the debt, that's his action."

Welp, we know their intentions and exactly how they're going to spin it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Welp, we know their intentions and exactly how they're going to spin it.

Yeah, because their intentions and spin are the same every time.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

If it's ever confirmed that Trump is running only gently caress Jeb! (and Carlos Slim) over he'll pretty much go down as (a) pulling off the greatest troll of all time and (b) make him one of the top 10 Americans of all time.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

and in a surprise upset the new speaker of the house is this lovely dog :shittydog:

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

Fried Chicken posted:

The whole point of the surge was that it was a short term strategy. Even Bush and Petraeus described it as so at the time. It was meant to buy enough peace for us to get out and that was it. Which it did. You trying to claim it achieved longstanding permanence only to be bungled by Obama is stunningly ahistorical and a massive example of revisionist history.

This is straight up how Republicans will attempt to write history, and will campaign. I've been hearing this poo poo since we pulled out of Iraq, and regardless of which administration pulls out of Afghanistan (and we will, eventually) it'll happen there, too.

We live in a post-factual society (or any notion that we ever lived in a factual society was silly in the first place).

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Radish posted:

If one of those pie in the face guys gets Carson it would be nice if for the rest of his campaign people would say "you would be dead just like those victims if he was actually a shooter" but that would require the GOP candidates to be even the smallest bit critical of insane gun policies so...

Giving everybody a pie to throw would prevent this

Phone posted:

Not only that, it's ridiculous because it assumes that everybody in times of great duress is both physically fit enough to subdue a shooter while unarmed, and collectively capable of outflanking a guy in a small classroom full of poo poo.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Phone posted:

Well if it's true that they can only shoot one person at a time it's going to be because they're not using an automatic weapon and their magazines have less bu- ... oh ... OH

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm setting the over/under until a GOP presidential candidate calls Obama the "Apologizer in Chief" at six hours.

quote:

"This morning from the Oval Office, President Obama spoke by telephone with Doctors Without Borders International President Dr. Joanne Liu, to apologize and express his condolences for the MSF staff and patients who were killed and injured when a US military airstrike mistakenly struck an MSF field hospital in Kunduz, Afghanistan over the weekend," White House press secretary Josh Earnest said in the White House briefing.

Martin Random
Jul 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Combed Thunderclap posted:

The number of Americans who really really really want to dress up every day like they were in an active combat zone is...just sad really, given the hundreds of thousands of people fleeing active combat zones these days.

Let's make a trade, refugees for OPEN CARRY HEROES. It would be pareto optimal

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
So what happens if (when), in one of these "Open Carry Campuses" two drunken college hicks draw down on each other over perceived slights? Or worse, the inevitable unarmed black guy being shot for startling one?

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

zoux posted:

I'm setting the over/under until a GOP presidential candidate calls Obama the "Apologizer in Chief" at six hours.

Definitely under

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

zoux posted:

Under. Definitely Under. They had some of that going for them for perceived deferential attitude to other heads of states. Perhaps they'll make MSF seem like some sort of international Planned Parenthood that treats only terrorists.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
on his last day obama just needs to come out and flip everyone off while helicoptering his penis

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Talmonis posted:

So what happens if (when), in one of these "Open Carry Campuses" two drunken college hicks draw down on each other over perceived slights? Or worse, the inevitable unarmed black guy being shot for startling one?

Shouldn't have dressed in such a way to be asking for it, duh.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Talmonis posted:

It won't happen because you might have a handful of open carriers on campus at a time, but yeah the intersection of college dumbasses, alcohol and firearms is potential risk and is also the reason that administrators at zero major universities are for it.

This is probably right out of ALEC in order to appease the NRA by making a non-issue into an issue since there really aren't that many more closed frontiers to cram guns into.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
does the rest of the world call DWB by their dumb french name

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Talmonis posted:

"The river of freedom must occasionally be refreshed with the blood of innocents."

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

foobardog posted:

Under. Definitely Under. They had some of that going for them for perceived deferential attitude to other heads of states. Perhaps they'll make MSF seem like some sort of international Planned Parenthood that treats only terrorists.

Haha that's already started.
http://www.frontpagemag.com/point/260336/its-time-treat-doctors-without-borders-terrorist-daniel-greenfield

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Oct 7, 2015

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Holy hell.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Now we're just waiting for one of the candidates to mirror that.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Radish posted:

Haha that's already started.

Oh, God. I don't want to live in this universe where Poe's Law is a constant.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I had to wikipedia Frontpage Magazine since I couldn't remember if it was a parody or not. I'm still not 100% sure.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Oct 7, 2015

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

lmao this is unbelievable

could nearly pass as an Onion article

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Bob Ojeda posted:

Because what America really needs is a constitutional crisis

And, I mean, this doesn't seem like an implausible scenario. In fact it looks like the most likely scenario. You have three basic voting groups in the House, none of them can elect a Speaker without the assistance of the others, and it's hard to see who's going to flinch. Doesn't help that the Republicans don't seem to have any particularly compelling leaders waiting in the wings at this point.

The vote for Boehner's successor is going to happen while he's still speaker so in theory he can at least get the debt ceiling raised enough to prevent a default. Otherwise if they can't get a speaker by November 5, then there's no way to raise the ceiling. More importantly to Boehner, there's no way to share the blame since the problem wouldn't be Obama refusing their demands if there's nobody who can make them.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

In honor of Texas' open carry on campus bill, I present to you R. Lee Ermey's take on Charles Whitman and Lee Harvey Oswald

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5IWK9sRYTs

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

People have been accusing humanitarian organizations of being collaborators of evil for decades (and probably longer, but I don't have time to do the research). MSF actually split from the Red Cross because they felt they weren't adequately supporting/speaking out on behalf of victims of the Biafran civil war/famine.

None of which is to excuse an attack on an organization that won the freaking Nobel Peace Prize, only to note that when humans see someone helping someone get better, some of the particularly lovely humans will inevitably wonder if they'll also provide that kind of unconditional assistance to the other side.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Nobody sane is alleging that they knew it was a hospital when they attacked it.

Talmonis posted:

Well, given that this hasn't been a serious problem everywhere else concealed carry is legal, and that Texas has found that licensed CCers are more law-abiding than average citizens and even sworn law enforcement officers, I don't think it's something to worry about. I suppose if someone draws when they don't have good reason, you can have them arrested for brandishing and take away their license like normal.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

People have been accusing humanitarian organizations of being collaborators of evil for decades (and probably longer, but I don't have time to do the research). MSF actually split from the Red Cross because they felt they weren't adequately supporting/speaking out on behalf of victims of the Biafran civil war/famine.

None of which is to excuse an attack on an organization that won the freaking Nobel Peace Prize, only to note that when humans see someone helping someone get better, some of the particularly lovely humans will inevitably wonder if they'll also provide that kind of unconditional assistance to the other side.

I feel like America really should have learned this from M*A*S*H. We don't need a nation of Frank Burns.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

But that Nobel Peace Prize winning organization was bombed by an organization headed by a different Peace Prize winner. Makes You Think.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Talmonis posted:

Or worse, the inevitable unarmed black guy being shot for startling one?

He'll be hailed as a great hero to the oppressed gun owning right and will sell his lovely paintings on ebay.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

AriadneThread posted:

and in a surprise upset the new speaker of the house is this lovely dog :shittydog:

somehow... this seems like the best ending for everyone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Dead Reckoning posted:

Well, given that this hasn't been a serious problem everywhere else concealed carry is legal, and that Texas has found that licensed CCers are more law-abiding than average citizens and even sworn law enforcement officers, I don't think it's something to worry about. I suppose if someone draws when they don't have good reason, you can have them arrested for brandishing and take away their license like normal.

Aren't they also trying to get rid of licensing requirements?

• Locked thread