Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

GrumpyDoctor posted:

Are you sure about this? Everything I'm reading elsewhere says that DataGrid is newer and more customizable. It also has column resizing and atomic row editing right out of the box.

Nope! I was a WPF newbie when I tried and failed to get a DataGrid to do what I wanted it to do, and furthermore it's been long enough since I've worked with WPF at all that I may have things mixed up or flat-out wrong in my memory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

ljw1004 posted:

Awesome explanation.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question so thoroughly.

That makes a lot of sense.

magic_toaster
Dec 26, 2003
No.
I have two classes (Car/Truck) that share a base class (Automobile). I would like to filter collections of both Car and Truck by a property on their base class, Automobile. The code below causes an error:

Cannot implicitly convert type 'System.Collections.Generic.List' to 'System.Collections.Generic.List' Program.cs 48 27 Example

Is it possible to filter by the base class property without having to convert the results back to their appropriate derived class?

code:
class Program
{
    public class Automobile
    {
        public string Manufacturer { get; set; }

public static  IEnumerable<Automobile> GetByManufacturer(IEnumerable<Automobile> items, string manufacturer)
        {
            return items.Where(o => o.Manufacturer == manufacturer);
        }
    }

public class Car : Automobile
    {
        public int TrunkSize { get; set; }
    }

public class Truck : Automobile
    {
        public int BedSize  { get; set; }
    }

static void Main(string[] args)
    {

var cars = new List<Car> 
        {
            new Car { Manufacturer = "Toyota", TrunkSize = 100 },
            new Car { Manufacturer = "Kia", TrunkSize = 70 }
        };

var trucks = new List<Truck> 
        {
            new Truck { Manufacturer = "Toyota", BedSize = 400 },
            new Truck { Manufacturer = "Dodge", BedSize = 500 }
        };

// Problem: Get a list of Type Car and a List of Tpye Truck, 
        // where each List contains only cars manufactured by Toyota
        var mfr =  "Toyota";

List<Car> toyotaCars = Automobile.GetByManufacturer(cars, mfr).ToList();
        List<Car> toyotaTrucks = Automobile.GetByManufacturer(trucks, mfr).ToList();

Console.WriteLine(toyotaCars.First().GetType().Name);
        Console.WriteLine(toyotaTrucks.First().GetType().Name);
    }
}

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Your problem is that GetByManufacturer returns a collection of Automobiles. It makes no promises about those being Cars or Trucks - for all you know the implementation might completely ignore the input and just output a fixed mix of both - so they cannot be implicitly converted as such.

To fix that, make GetByManufacturer into a generic function:

code:
        public static  IEnumerable<AutomobileType where AutomobileType : Automobile> GetByManufacturer(IEnumerable<AutomobileType> items,	 string manufacturer)
        {
            return items.Where(o => o.Manufacturer == manufacturer);
        }
This way GetByManufacturer promises that it will return the same subclass of Automobile that it received in the "items" argument.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
The generic solution is probably what you're looking for, but it's also good to be familiar with upcasting yourself:

C# code:
IEnumerable<Automobile> allAutos = cars.Cast<Automobile>().Concat(trucks);
The disadvantage, of course, is that you've lost track of whether each automobile is a Car or a Truck.

Also, is that generic method syntax right? I thought it should be
C# code:
public IEnumerable<AutomobileT> GetByManufacturer<AutomobileT>(IEnumerable<AutomobileType> items, string manufacturer)
    where AutomobileT : Automobile
{
    // blah blah
}

magic_toaster
Dec 26, 2003
No.
Ah! Of course. Thanks!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Has anyone here ever mucked about with serializing objects to/from XAML, using either XamlServices or the Xaml(Object|Xml)(Reader|Writer) family of classes? I've never really done serialization in .NET so I was researching the different techniques that are out there (Data Contracts, plain old [Serializable], XML, couple others I can't remember), and only just realized as a result that XAML is a bit more general than just a language for making WPF pages :v:

Don't really have any specific questions yet, just kind of curious about your experiences while I wait to get to a computer that actually has VS on it, grumble grumble :(

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

GrumpyDoctor posted:

Also, is that generic method syntax right? I thought it should be
Yeah, I was going by memory and ended up with a hybrid of C# and VB syntax :) Thanks for the fix.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
Got a IDE/OS problem and I figure this is the best place to ask.

I'm using Visual Studio 2015 on Windows 10 running in Parallels on OSX.
I have a folder in OS X called Develop mapped by Parallels as a network drive on Windows as \\Mac\Develop.
Inside this folder I have all of my code projects.

Visual Studio C# fails to execute unit tests with a SecurityException.

I tried altering the cas policy using the caspol.exe for both .NET 2x and .NET 4x (caspol.exe doesn't exist in any of the other Framework folders) to include \\Mac\Develop\* under FullTrust. I tried adding this entry to groups 1, 1.2 and 1.5 and none of these work. I still get a SecurityException. I also added \\Mac\ to Internet Explorer Intranet trusted sites as was suggested in a blog post I found. And that doesn't work either.

Any body have any tips to get this working? Having the code in the VM and not on a shared drive isn't really an option.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug
What test framework/test runner are you using?

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

Ithaqua posted:

What test framework/test runner are you using?

nunit w/ Resharper runner.

EDIT: I found this:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4163615/get-net-to-consider-a-specific-network-share-to-be-fully-trusted

Which looks promising but I'm not sure what I would need to change for Resharper. Does reshaper have a config for this?

xgalaxy fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Oct 7, 2015

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Yesterday was "upgrade to VS2015" day for me. Was surprised at how immediately I'm loving the new language features, particularly string interpolation and the new stuff w nulls. (arrow syntax for props also gets an honorable mention)

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Kekekela posted:

Yesterday was "upgrade to VS2015" day for me. Was surprised at how immediately I'm loving the new language features, particularly string interpolation and the new stuff w nulls. (arrow syntax for props also gets an honorable mention)

Expression-bodied members can be properties but also methods.

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008
Does anyone else experience VS 2015 randomly but insistently resetting the C# "Keep tabs" formatting option back to "Insert spaces"? It's driving me nuts :mad:

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

SirViver posted:

Does anyone else experience VS 2015 randomly but insistently resetting the C# "Keep tabs" formatting option back to "Insert spaces"? It's driving me nuts :mad:

Can't say I've had that happen. Is it a problem with the vssettings file being corrupted or recreated or something?

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
Okay. So far the only way I've found to successfully run unit tests is to call.
caspol -security off

This is only a temporary setting though.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Here is the full exception:
Unit Test Runner failed to run tests
System.Security.SecurityException: That assembly does not allow partially trusted callers.

xgalaxy fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Oct 7, 2015

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008

Finster Dexter posted:

Can't say I've had that happen. Is it a problem with the vssettings file being corrupted or recreated or something?
No idea, but all the other settings remain as they should, at least as far as I can tell. At first I thought it's a settings sync issue as I've seen exactly that option getting disabled in the sync logs, but even after disabling sync it still happens.

One maybe not so common thing I do have going on is that I regularly run multiple VS 2015 instances in parallel. My best guess would be the processes trying to synchronize the settings between them and screwing up somehow.

Oh and I also have the F12 Go To Definition fix extension, which temporarily flicks the Keep Tabs option off when you press F12 to circumvent a VS bug, though from looking at its code I don't see anything obviously wrong with it and when testing it does reset the option properly. I'll give disabling that extension a try - maybe the quick switching of the option confuses VS.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

I can't wait for VS2015 Update 1... so many bugs right now.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Finster Dexter posted:

I can't wait for VS2015 Update 1... so many bugs right now.

My company is still using VS 2013. We generally update to the latest VS about a year after release. There's no magic feature that we desperately need in the latest release, and such has been the case for every version of VS in the last 10 years :v:

So we're keeping up with the tools, but skipping the "dot-oh" pain.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Working in ASP MVC and I'm trying to use a from containing checkboxes over GET instead of POST[1]. I'd be fine with the default behavior of Html.CheckBoxFor except that the QueryString object can't represent the real query string correctly, so it becomes a giant pain in the rear end to, for example, make a RouteValueDictionary that changes one value (like sort direction) and hand it off to the helper methods to make a URL that the framework can parse:

C# code:
//url = ... IncludeThings=true&IncludeThings=false
// (so the box is checked and the hidden input is also there which always adds =false)
QueryString["IncludeThings"] == "true,false"; //true

var newRoute = new RouteValueDictionary(ViewContext.RouteData.Values);
newRoute.Add("IncludeThings", QueryString["IncludeThings"]);

Html.Action(ViewContext.RouteData.Values["action"], newRoute); //... IncludeThings=true%2Cfalse which doesn't parse
Fine! I'll just make a naked checkbox with a value of true and change the arguments on the controller to accept bool? and... oh wait now I have no idea whether the user actually cleared the box or whether they just landed on the page and I should pick a sane default[2].

Any suggestions? Am I doing the URL creation wrong in some way?

[1] because 1) it's a search form and doesn't modify server state so it's a GET and 2) the browser bugging the user about resubmitting a form on reload is annoying as poo poo and totally pointless because of 1

[2] Well, I kinda do in this case because if all the boxes are unchecked then that's nonsensical, but I think I'm just kinda lucky here

Bognar
Aug 4, 2011

I am the queen of France
Hot Rope Guy
Why are you extracting values from the query string manually? This is what MVC does for you for free:

C# code:
// Controller
public ActionResult Test(bool test)
{
    Console.WriteLine(test); // true if checked, false if not
    return RedirectToAction("Index");
}
code:
@* Razor *@
@using (Html.BeginForm("Test", "Home", FormMethod.Get))
{
    @Html.CheckBoxFor(m => m.Test)
    <input type="submit" value="Go"/>
}

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Bognar posted:

Why are you extracting values from the query string manually? This is what MVC does for you for free:

Munkeymon posted:

... to, for example, make a RouteValueDictionary that changes [or sets] one value (like sort direction) [and points back to the same view]

To expand on my earlier example:

C# code:
var newRoute = new RouteValueDictionary(ViewContext.RouteData.Values);
//...
newRoute.Add("IncludeThings", QueryString["IncludeThings"]); // actually happens in a loop over all keys
//...
newRoute["SortDirection"] = Model.SortDirection == Ascending ? Descending : Ascending; // poke a value or two!
Html.Action(ViewContext.RouteData.Values["action"], newRoute); // back to self but with different values
Which I think is marginally less bad than trying to edit the query string as a string except that the QueryString object (or maybe the Action helper?) mangles the double inputs that CheckBoxFor produces.

Bognar
Aug 4, 2011

I am the queen of France
Hot Rope Guy
Accessing the RouteData and building a RouteValueDictionary yourself is a big code smell and I think there's a better solution, but I don't have enough context about your code to say what that might be. My gut feeling is that you should have a ViewModel that represents your sort options, and it can get populated as a parameter in the Action method and then returned to the view with whatever modifications you choose to make.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Bognar posted:

Accessing the RouteData and building a RouteValueDictionary yourself is a big code smell and I think there's a better solution, but I don't have enough context about your code to say what that might be. My gut feeling is that you should have a ViewModel that represents your sort options, and it can get populated as a parameter in the Action method and then returned to the view with whatever modifications you choose to make.

I do have a view model that represents all of the search options and a list of results. I guess making a different parent model that has sort options and a separate list might at least allow me to use the (newly refactored) Model.SortOptions as the route values argument to Action, which would simplify things.

Thanks!

Dog Jones
Nov 4, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
What is considered the state of the art for windows client application development? WPF ?

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved
I would make a Universal Windows Platform app simply because it's so straightforward and sweet. However, if you actually need to use APIs that are not available for UWP apps, go with WPF, yes.

Gul Banana
Nov 28, 2003

or if you need to run on windows 8 or 7

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick

EssOEss posted:

I would make a Universal Windows Platform app simply because it's so straightforward and sweet. However, if you actually need to use APIs that are not available for UWP apps, go with WPF, yes.

I've also been out of touch with the state of the art client technologies for a bit... I was under the impression that UWP apps use WPF for the actual views, and the difference between a normal desktop application and a universal app is just the set of libraries that you reference/are allowed to use, but the rendering still happens via WPF. How mistaken have I been?

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011
Haven't done UWP yet but, I guess it uses XAML? I think that's about all that is the same. WPF really is a library/platform only for the desktop.
I imagine the real difference is what's under the hood of each platform although the surface of them may look similar at first glance.

While we're on the subject, anyone have any good reads or links in regard to complex cross-platform UI design? I'm struggling giving up my old design ways of "Windows Forms" with pop-ups and menu bars. I feel so brick and mortar in a world that's now building skyscrapers that look like mobius dildos.

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved
The UWP rendering system is heavily based on WPF and XAML, yes, but is still a separate thing. UI development is very similar with both but UWP is a newer version of the system, with special attention paid to various performance enhancements (since it needs to run on really limited devices). The knowledge translates over fairly okay, though the details of all the controls (and the selection of available controls) will differ, not to mention the vast differences in the non-UI-related APIs.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
If I have a NuGet package referenced in one project, can I really not add it as a reference of a different project in the same solution without an internet connection? :psyduck: (in VS2015)

e: Apparently I can't do it with an internet connection either, but it's ok, I can easily diagnose the problem with the helpful log messages NuGet has provided me:
code:
Attempting to gather dependencies information for package 'Newtonsoft.Json.5.0.8' with respect to project 'LibraryEditor', targeting '.NETFramework,Version=v4.5.2'
Package 'Newtonsoft.Json' is not found
========== Finished ==========

raminasi fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Oct 11, 2015

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
I have a weird WPF architecture question. I have a hierarchy of TabControls (I know this is bad UI design, but one problem at a time here) and the final child tabs each have an associated collection of Doodads. The goal is, at each level of TabControl, to have the currently active tab's Doodad collection "bubble up" to its parent TabControl's Doodad collection, so that at the top of the TabControl hierarchy, the Doodad collection is the same collection as the one of the currently active tab at the bottom of the hierarchy. (The actual same INotifyCollectionChanged, so that when the source collection is modified, the top-level one changes as well.)

I think I've figured out how to do this by using an attached property and a custom TabControl that, when its active tab is switched, re-binds the collection the TabControl is propagating "upwards" to the collection of the newly active tab. The intuitive way to do this, to me, is to make the "child" collection the binding source, and the "parent" collection the binding target.

However, there's a problem: At the bottom of the hierarchy, each TabItem is getting its Doodad collection from a ViewModel, and at the top of the hierarchy, the final Doodad collection needs to be spit back into a ViewModel. So either the bottom-level bindings will need two sources (originating ViewModel, parent TabControl), or the top-level binding will (destination ViewModel, child TabItem). Do I have to create a duplicate Doodad collection property to support the extra binding somewhere? Is there some other option I'm not seeing? Am I totally insane for trying to do this?

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved
Do I understand it right that you have basically something like this, repeated for N top level tabs?

code:
TopLevelTab
---ActiveTabDoodadsList
---LevelTwoTab
------DoodadsList
---LevelTwoTab
------DoodadsList
If so, I would design the viewmodel thus:

code:
TabsPageVm
---TopLevelTabVm
------ActiveTabDoodads
------LevelTwoTabVm[]
---------Doodads
Then I would hook up the "active level2 tab changed" events in the page codebehind and tell the VM "LevelTwoTab number 3 is now active" and have the VM respond accordingly by switching out the ActiveTabDoodads collection.

Keep all the work in the VM, no need for fancy binding poo poo.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

GrumpyDoctor posted:

If I have a NuGet package referenced in one project, can I really not add it as a reference of a different project in the same solution without an internet connection? :psyduck: (in VS2015)

e: Apparently I can't do it with an internet connection either, but it's ok, I can easily diagnose the problem with the helpful log messages NuGet has provided me:
code:
Attempting to gather dependencies information for package 'Newtonsoft.Json.5.0.8' with respect to project 'LibraryEditor', targeting '.NETFramework,Version=v4.5.2'
Package 'Newtonsoft.Json' is not found
========== Finished ==========

Why the flip did they remove the package cache options from the Options UI in 2015? And it also looks like they moved the package cache?

In 2012 and 2013 you could just add the package cache as a Nuget source and add packages from that when you were not connected to a network.

ljw1004
Jan 18, 2005

rum

Finster Dexter posted:

Why the flip did they remove the package cache options from the Options UI in 2015? And it also looks like they moved the package cache?

In 2012 and 2013 you could just add the package cache as a Nuget source and add packages from that when you were not connected to a network.

What you'd do in VS2015:

* Under ManageNugetReferences > Settings icon > PackageSources, add a directory from your hard disk

This directory will be scanned for .nupkg files. One directory I often add is

%userprofile%\.nuget\packages

This directory is the cache for all packages that have been used in my NuGet3 ("project.json") projects. Sorry, I don't know much about NuGet2 package caches.

ljw1004
Jan 18, 2005

rum

GrumpyDoctor posted:

GrumpyDoctor, it'd be great if you could post on https://github.com/NuGet/Home/issues with your undiagnosable error message. I know that error messages are on the team's mind, and more reinforcement would help.

ljw1004
Jan 18, 2005

rum

Dog Jones posted:

What is considered the state of the art for windows client application development? WPF ?

There are two main options for .NET client development: WPF or UWP.

Note: I'm the PM at Microsoft for the UWP/.NET combination. I also recently attended VS Live! in New York where your question was a common one. I'm also biased because I love the heck out of developing for UWP. I also wrote two articles on the dotnet team blog about UWP
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/dotnet/archive/2015/07/30/universal-windows-apps-in-net.aspx
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/dotnet/archive/2015/09/28/what-s-new-for-net-and-uwp-in-win10-tools-1-1.aspx

Mary Jo Foley said recently:
* It’s a momentous decision for a developer whether you stick with WPF or switch to UWP – given Microsoft’s track record
* There is going to be a lot of pickup for Win10. Business customers who laughed off Win8 are now doing pilots on Win10. There’s going to be a big market at least on the desktop.
* If you want to be on the Win10 train then you should go with UWP. Microsoft is keeping WPF but that’s not where they see the future.

Another speaker at the VS Live! conference, Billy Hollis, said:
* Going with UWP you will leapfrog your way into the future.
* You’ll get faster development, even though it takes a while to ramp up
* Microsoft should be shouting from the rooftops that UWP/XAML is the default UI technology for Microsoft, uses by the Win10 shell and by Office 2016. That’s a big solid vote of confidence in the future longevity of the platform.

What do I think?

* UWP will give better UIs. The XAML used in UWP has API surface area similar to Silverlight. But it really is fast, faster than WPF will ever be - you'll see this in transitions, in smooth scrolling, in seamless video playback, in less "airspace" (delays/jags while resizing). It also has better touch support. These things can never be retrofitted as cleanly to WPF. If you're writing apps for end-users they'll be expecting these kinds of UIs already from what they're used to on phones and in the movies! If you're writing apps for business use, maybe less so at the moment, but I think there'll be a leap in UI soon among business apps. We've already seen Apple and IBM have a massive partnership for tablets. At the VS Live! I saw the biggest audiences for sessions on "User Design Principles" and "New User Interfaces".

* UWP apps have better development. UWP apps use ".NET Core", which is a modern version of the .NET framework that gets packaged app-locally. You never need worry about whether customers are running the right version of the .NET Framework. If you need a bugfix in the .NET libraries, you can even get a beta of the latest .NET library via NuGet, and the version of .NET you develop+test with on your dev machine will be the version that gets run on customer machines. This is HUGE. Note that ".NET Core" is also what's being used for servers and cross-platform by ASP.NET 5, which makes for easier code sharing between your client and server sides.

* UWP apps run faster. UWP apps go through ".NET Native" compilation. This compiles them to 100% native machine code. One benefit is obfuscation. But the main benefit is they start up much faster. I got my app startup times down to ~100ms for a little realtime fractal app I wrote.

* Deployment. For consumer-facing apps, putting apps into the Windows Store is really important. You don't need to write an installer and you don't need to worry about updates. For business apps, some folks recommend them to use the same public store, others are leery of this, but I think the story will improve in future business-focused updates to Windows10. UWP apps obviously can go straight into the store. There's a project under way called "Project Centennial" to let WPF apps be deployed via the store, but it's not released yet.

* UWP apps have better telemetry/monetization. For all apps, "App Insights" is a really valuable tool for diagnosing crashes and getting feedback on app use. It integrates beautifully into UWP apps. I don't know if it's available for WPF. Also, for consumer-facing apps, ads are better integrated into UWP apps.

* There's also the potential that once you write in UWP it will be easy to have it run on Windows Phone, Hololens, Xbox and so on. But I understand that's not typically a major concern for desktop developers.

That's a big list of positives for UWP. The main downsides I think are...

* Deployment for business apps. Folks at Microsoft do recognize this, and are working on it, and I hope it gets improved soon.

* Bleeding edge. All of .NET Core and .NET Native are pretty new technologies, released for the first time on July 29th this year. They do have bugs in them. But they're being "hardened" pretty quickly. I think if you start UWP development now, then by the time your apps are finished it the platforms will be much more solid.

* Less expressive XAML than WPF. There are lots of little gaps that UWP XAML can't do but WPF can. Some of these are inherent due to UWP XAML being built with a solid eye on performance. Others just haven't been done yet. I think that business-developers will be missing a bunch of handy data-entry controls.

* Some bits of the .NET framework missing. Things like binary serialization are present on the full .NET framework (used by WPF apps) but absent in .NET Core (used by UWP apps).

* Less "free reign" over the user's machine. UWP apps are sandboxed. They can't trample over the user's filesystem, for instance. Sometimes the whole point of your app is to do that!

* Market size. Obviously, not everyone's on Win10 yet! I think that within a year we'll see enough adoption of Win10 by the folks who are going to be downloading+running your apps.

I think those advantages and disadvantages clearly explain Mary Jo Foley's conclusions. If you're starting out development on a new app now, and if the sandbox limitations don't matter, you should be looking at UWP.

ljw1004 fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Oct 12, 2015

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved
I love working with UWP but customers only care about Android and iPhone, it seems.
Was pretty cool to see my app work just fine on phone after 2 weeks of development on desktop only.

Where is the best place to report issues for UWP library/framework stuff? I reported a few on Connect and one even got an "We're looking into it" response but I am not sure if ".NET Framework" there really covers UWP.

ljw1004
Jan 18, 2005

rum

EssOEss posted:

I love working with UWP but customers only care about Android and iPhone, it seems.
Was pretty cool to see my app work just fine on phone after 2 weeks of development on desktop only.

Where is the best place to report issues for UWP library/framework stuff? I reported a few on Connect and one even got an "We're looking into it" response but I am not sure if ".NET Framework" there really covers UWP.

Issues with the .NET libraries: file them on https://github.com/dotnet/corefx/issues - you can also use Connect, but GitHub will get the issue immediately to the correct engineering team (bypassing our first-level triage)

Issues with .NET Native (Release build): email to dotnetnative@microsoft.com, or email me lwischik@microsoft.com. The team's not yet on GitHub.

Issues with WinRT APIs: post them to the MSDN forums where the Windows division hang out: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsapps/en-US/home?forum=wpdevelop

Issues with NuGet: file them on https://github.com/NuGet/Home/issues

Connect is also a fine place to report your issues, but it goes through a triage team before making its way to the engineers, so it's not as direct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
Doesn't UWP have a C++ counterpart as well? At least I thought I read that.