Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Thanks for the kohlrabi suggestions, I think I will try some stir-fry with this awesome new cast iron wok I got as a gift.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Can anyone recommend a good Wok to use on my lovely, electric, glass-top stove?

Micomicona
Aug 7, 2007

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Roux is stable at room temp, just make a pint or so and keep it in a cupboard. Or keep corn starch around.

wait what? Seriously? Is it just the same procedure as normal roux, then stick in in a jar?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Micomicona posted:

wait what? Seriously? Is it just the same procedure as normal roux, then stick in in a jar?

Yeah, it'll keep for a long time, few months or so.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

blarzgh posted:

Can anyone recommend a good Wok to use on my lovely, electric, glass-top stove?

Don't. Use a cast iron instead and let it warm up heaps first.
I used to have a carbon steel wok because I used to have a high BTU gas range. When I moved and had a lovely gas range I threw the wok out, because it just didn't work, at all.
2nd option, get a 2000w electric stand alone fry pan/wok or range. E: Not sure if 2000w is possible where ever you are, but they're available in Australia due to 230V and 10A outlets.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Oct 7, 2015

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Frankly its never occurred to me to make roux ahead of time. I always just make it in the pan as I'm cooking. Why would you make it ahead of time?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Frankly its never occurred to me to make roux ahead of time. I always just make it in the pan as I'm cooking. Why would you make it ahead of time?

yeah, my thought, too. Besides, sometimes I want it browner then usual.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Commercially it's easier that way. At home, eh, not really? I usually have a pint on hand though, just out of habit.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
I've seen it in some New Orleans kitchens. I'd imagine it's a time saver if you want roux all the time, not everyone wants to sit around stirring for 30 minutes all the time. You make it to a certain level then if you want it darker you can make it darker by frying it further in fat in the pan. If you want it lighter, you just make it from scratch as normal.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
30 minutes seems like a really long time to make roux, unless it's chocolate roux for gumbo. Also if I premade roux I'd keep it in the fridge... even if butter and flour are both shelf stable for a while.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

pile of brown posted:

30 minutes seems like a really long time to make roux, unless it's chocolate roux for gumbo. Also if I premade roux I'd keep it in the fridge... even if butter and flour are both shelf stable for a while.

The 30min was an exaggeration, sorry I thought that would be obvious. I just get really bored making roux sometimes, but I don't make it enough to warrant pre-made. Also the pre-made roux I'm talking about is actually made in the oven without the fat, so I can see being comfortable putting it in the pantry.

Either way, I don't do this, just giving another data point.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rurutia posted:

Also the pre-made roux I'm talking about is actually made in the oven without the fat,

Huh?

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

http://www.gumbocooking.com/dry-roux.html

So, is anyone else really lazy about their queso? I just make mine by throwing cheese, sodium citrate, and water/beer in the vitamix and let it go for a few minutes.

edit Looked it up in a goon approved website. Here, under roux he says:

quote:

Now, one not-so-bad idea is the oil-less roux, pioneered by Cajun Chef Enola Prudhomme. Basically, you just dump the flour into a cast-iron skillet and toast it dry, making sure to stir it around as you would a normal roux. I've never tried this, but apparently it works rather well, and is perfect for folks who are on low-fat diets.

Most people I know who do this to keep a batch still mix it with fat for cooking at the time of cooking. They also say the oven is more controlled than stovetop and more 'idiot-proof'.

Rurutia fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Oct 7, 2015

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

That's just toasted flour and I'm not certain how it avoids clumping in water to thicken.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Rurutia posted:

Also the pre-made roux I'm talking about is actually made in the oven without the fat, so I can see being comfortable putting it in the pantry.

Uhhh ... ???

RE: Pre-made roux

I can see keeping a spot of the stuff around to quickly thicken a soup or something on the fly without having to dirty up another pan. I legit had that thought today when I was making this cauliflower and leafy greens soup. It's a bunch of onions and garlic sauteed until soft, then potatoes, a bit of thyme, and water. Once the potatoes are half cooked, I added cauliflower florets. Once everything was tender, I took some of the solids out and hit it with the stick blender. Then I added chopped kale and collard greens, and brought it up to heat. It was perfect, but a little bit too thin for my liking. I wanted to have some roux lying around that I could throw in there to thicken it just slightly, but did not have any, and was annoyed. By then I was too lazy to heat up another pot and make more of a mess, so I just dealt with it.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Mr. Wookums posted:

That's just toasted flour and I'm not certain how it avoids clumping in water to thicken.

You mix it in a bit of oil or water before adding it and get the clumps out in a small bowl. But I'd moved on from the original question and was chiming in on the pantry roux discussion to reaffirm the existence and utility of having pantry roux.

You can call it toasted flour, I mean roux is basically fried flour.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Should you keep bouillon cubes in the fridge?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Spanish Manlove posted:

If I have Better than Bouillon I keep it in the fridge, but not cubes. Between the salt and the low moisture of the cubes I figure they're pretty shelf stable.

Also, Better than Bouillon is in fact better than bouillon cubes.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rurutia posted:

You mix it in a bit of oil or water before adding it and get the clumps out in a small bowl. But I'd moved on from the original question and was chiming in on the pantry roux discussion to reaffirm the existence and utility of having pantry roux.

You can call it toasted flour, I mean roux is basically fried flour.

I think most of us are used to roux referring to flour and fat cooked together. But if the cajuns are willing to call browned flour roux, that's good enough for me.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Spanish Manlove posted:

Nah i keep them in the cupboard and they last for ages.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Micomicona posted:

I don't know if I'd call it "go-to", as in its best-of-the-best form it takes two days to make, but here's a FAN. TASTIC. beef stew recipe. No barley, but stout. I've never done it with mushrooms but I can't imagine it wouldn't make it more delicious. I'd probably throw them in with the onions to get them all nice and carmellizedy.
http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2011/feb/03/how-cook-perfect-beef-stew

I made this recipe today but i made some changes:

- Porter instead of stout because that's what I had on hand
- Potato instead of turnips for the same reason

Extra ingredients:
- Sage
- Dash of worcester
- Some tomato paste (not too much)
- The recipe doesn't mention to do this but I put the bone and marrow from the shank in with the beef for extra flavor

And the absolute best extra ingredient is a type of spiced cake called "ontbijtkoek" which is a dark kind of bread/cake with a deep molasses and spices flavor. It thickens the stew but also gives it a nice sweet note. Absolute killer stew ingredient.

Made the stew today and had some for dinner. It was great. Tomorrow it's going to be even better!

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

This has to be like the second or third time I've asked for this, but does anyone have a good chicken fajita marinade recipe? Preferably one that includes beer, but I'll probably just add beer to one if it doesn't.

Also, Protip: Steak marinated in a marinade that includes dark beer, like Shiner Bohemian Black Lager, is delicious as gently caress. You're welcome. :smugmrgw:

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Oct 7, 2015

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I think most of us are used to roux referring to flour and fat cooked together. But if the cajuns are willing to call browned flour roux, that's good enough for me.

My mom (a cajun lady) has made her roux in the oven before. I think the way she used it was to brown up meat then add the trinity to the fond in the pan, once the onions wilt a bit and everything releases some liquid she would add in a couple tbls of butter then throw in the dry roux and stir that in then add stock.

I guess it is only toasted flour but it filled the same application.

I prefer to make mine in the pan usually with a little fat from whatever meat I'm using and a little butter myself.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Got a set of Calphalon Triple Ply stainless cookwear. Absolutely love the things already. What a difference it makes to have heavy, properly heat conducting pots and pans.

I have some questions on the finish. They're very pretty pans since they're new so I just want to make sure what I see is normal and not damage.

We made rice in one of the smaller pans and after washing, it retained rice grain patterns on the bottom. It's perfectly clean and smooth, it's only visually noticeable.

I mashed some potatoes and it has some thin markings from the metal masher.

Is this normal and ok? The manual that came with the pan said metal tools were fine to use and it said nothing about restrictions on the type of food that could be cooked in them.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

The Ferret King posted:

Got a set of Calphalon Triple Ply stainless cookwear. Absolutely love the things already. What a difference it makes to have heavy, properly heat conducting pots and pans.

I have some questions on the finish. They're very pretty pans since they're new so I just want to make sure what I see is normal and not damage.

We made rice in one of the smaller pans and after washing, it retained rice grain patterns on the bottom. It's perfectly clean and smooth, it's only visually noticeable.

Is this normal and ok? The manual that came with the pan said metal tools were fine to use and it said nothing about restrictions on the type of food that could be cooked in them.

I get those all the time with rice. A good scrub with barkeepers friend will help get rid of most non-scratch type of marks. I haven't gotten the other metal marks, but I wouldn't really get worried about them.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

This has to be like the second or third time I've asked for this, but does anyone have a good chicken fajita marinade recipe? Preferably one that includes beer, but I'll probably just add beer to one if it doesn't.

Also, Protip: Steak marinated in a marinade that includes dark beer, like Shiner Bohemian Black Lager, is delicious as gently caress. You're welcome. :smugmrgw:

first one isnt fajitas but has beer in the marinade and it owns:
http://www.meatwave.com/blog/tacos-and-beer-a-love-story

http://www.meatwave.com/blog/grilled-chicken-fajitas-recipe

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

The Ferret King posted:

Totally normal, just ignore them

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

The Ferret King posted:

As long as it's clean, don't worry about it. Don't get hung up on the aesthetics. Your pots and pans are tools. They will show use and wear and tear and that's ok.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Did teh cigar thread exist in here and if so could someone link it please?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Herr Tog posted:

Did teh cigar thread exist in here and if so could someone link it please?

It was in TCC when I posted in the cigar thread (which was several years ago, so it may have changed)

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

spankmeister posted:

It was in TCC when I posted in the cigar thread (which was several years ago, so it may have changed)

Thank you!

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Yeah I used to post in there a lot about pipe stuff but frankly I don't have the time to keep up with yet another thread. If you find it tell them I said hi.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
You pipe people ruined my thread damnit

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

I bought beef skirt because it was on offer, and cheaper than shin (it looked really sinewy and stew-able, lying on the slab). After three hours of cooking, it is dry and crumbly and poo poo. Could it have been good if I'd given it less time, or is stewing skirt always a bad idea?

Frustratingly, I scarfed a few pieces after browning them, and they were really tender and good, so as well as making a bad stew, I have done myself out of some good steak.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Mr Enderby posted:

I bought beef skirt because it was on offer, and cheaper than shin (it looked really sinewy and stew-able, lying on the slab). After three hours of cooking, it is dry and crumbly and poo poo. Could it have been good if I'd given it less time, or is stewing skirt always a bad idea?

Frustratingly, I scarfed a few pieces after browning them, and they were really tender and good, so as well as making a bad stew, I have done myself out of some good steak.

Skirt is ideal for quick cooking. For instance marinating and grilling over high heat.

:cripes:

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Your sear, then eat. Pref marinated in jalapeño, onion, lime, and cilantro. But skirt should never be eaten past medium, and you'll want to cut it into 2-3 inch sections, then cut those across the grain.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
RIP skirt. But this is how we learn. In his defense, skirt is a particularly weird looking bit of beef.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I bought some gold beets for my salad. I like the earthy flavor but maybe it's a touch too earthy. Would blanching help cut some earthyness and maybe brighten the sweetness?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Roast your beets whole, then peel and slice. The skin slides right off after roasting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

Suspect Bucket posted:

RIP skirt. But this is how we learn. In his defense, skirt is a particularly weird looking bit of beef.

It really did look like it would stew well, with that great big layer of sinew across the top. Ah well, that'll teach me to neglect google when tackling an unfamiliar cut.

I'll get some more, if it's still on offer on Monday, and treat it with the respect it deserves. I'm thinking of a marinade of soy sauce, shaosing, and a drop of vinegar. Thanks for the help.