Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Fo3 posted:

http://www.edenics.net/english-word-origins.aspx?word=DECADENCE

E: My uneducated opinion is you're not going back far enough if just considering latin and not indo-european roots.

Well, sure, but I wasn't looking for cognates, just the most recent common ancestor. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vaginal Vagrant
Jan 12, 2007

by R. Guyovich

KillHour posted:

More importantly, I just learned that corn is a cereal. :psyduck:

It's old I know, but it's a favourite fun fact of mine...
Corn refers to any cereal.

CerealCrunch
Jun 23, 2007

rock rock posted:

Only if you're a filthy Redcoat.

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard renard renarnd renrard

renard

When I was in elementary school in the early 90s, I remember seeing commercials for the hair removal product Nad's. Of course, all the kids my age would giggle at the name because in America nads is slang for balls. At that time, I also remember watching commercials for Nair hair removal. I had always believed that Nad's changed their brand name to Nair to avoid the embarrassment.

I just found out 20 seconds ago they are entirely different brands, and that they still exist.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

rock rock posted:

That's a British thing. Along the same lines, I learned recently that calling athletic/casual shoes "sneakers" is not common outside of my relatively small geographic area. I thought everyone called them that. :psyduck:

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

KillHour posted:

That's a British thing. Along the same lines, I learned recently that calling athletic/casual shoes "sneakers" is not common outside of my relatively small geographic area. I thought everyone called them that. :psyduck:

Uh, sneakers is pretty common where do you live?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

It's more that using "corn" to refer to maize is an American thing. Corn comes from the old Proto-Indo-European word for any kind of grain (in fact grain also comes from that same PIE word), and its cognates are used in most European languages.

Proto-Indo-European *ǵr̥h₂nóm => Germanic *kurną => English corn, German & Scandinavian korn, etc
Proto-Indo-European *ǵr̥h₂nóm => Latin grānum => French grain => English grain

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 17:38 on Oct 7, 2015

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

kazil posted:

Uh, sneakers is pretty common where do you live?

I'd guess that most of the US could identify "sneakers" as rubber-soled athletic shoes, but apparently the more accepted term outside of the Northeast (and, weirdly, southern Florida) is "tennis shoes".

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

All I'm seeing there is that apparently in pockets near the Great Lakes people don't wear shoes.

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

trickybiscuits posted:

Holy poo poo, I went to this school! I repeatedly got cheeseburgers at the exact place where this occurred! I am unreasonably excited about this fact!

I love how criminals are condemned by the sheer number of cameras around these days. It's like the scene in Hot Fuzz when Timothy Dalton is getting taken away and all the schoolkids are grinning and filming it on their phones.

From the Schadenfreude Thread.

I have seen Hot Fuzz many times. I just realized that the supermarket owner is Timothy Dalton.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Besesoth posted:

I'd guess that most of the US could identify "sneakers" as rubber-soled athletic shoes, but apparently the more accepted term outside of the Northeast (and, weirdly, southern Florida) is "tennis shoes".

Add Ontario to the sneakers crowd, along with running shoes/runners, because nobody plays tennis here (Milos Raonic excepted). :canada:

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Besesoth posted:

the two terms are pretty interchangable here in my area of ohio

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

This was a little while ago for me but the national rail logo...

isn't just some random lines crossing each other, but two arrows pointing in opposite directions overlapping. Y'know, like train tracks. In my mid twenties before I realised that :downs:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Relatedly, JR/Duty Free is totally unrelated to Japan Rail.

...I first saw the duty free one in a Japanese airport, ok? :saddowns: It took a few encounters back home to look closer and see some guy's name that I don't remember.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Overminty posted:

This was a little while ago for me but the national rail logo...

isn't just some random lines crossing each other, but two arrows pointing in opposite directions overlapping. Y'know, like train tracks. In my mid twenties before I realised that :downs:

They're not "like train tracks" because they're arrows, they're train tracks that are also arrows.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Snapchat A Titty posted:

They're not "like train tracks" because they're arrows, they're train tracks that are also arrows.

Yeah, but they aren't just arrows (with the arrows on the ends on the lines for example like most people would draw an arrow). They are in the middle meeting each other to form both an "N", and a stylized "R" at the same time.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Besesoth posted:

Not that it's either here nor there, but in the UK they're most commonly referred to as trainers or sports shoes.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Mister Macys posted:

Add Ontario to the sneakers crowd, along with running shoes/runners, because nobody plays tennis here (Milos Raonic excepted). :canada:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUaMzsNKR7Q

Speaking of regional things, I just found out that a Witch Window is sometihng that pretty much only exists in Vermont:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Witch_window

I've lived hear almost my whole life, so I guess I just assumed it was a common thing elsewhere.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Fo3 posted:

Yeah, but they aren't just arrows (with the arrows on the ends on the lines for example like most people would draw an arrow). They are in the middle meeting each other to form both an "N", and a stylized "R" at the same time.

This may be your interpretation, but it isn't intentional. That logo was the same when it was still British Rail

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Aphrodite posted:

All I'm seeing there is that apparently in pockets near the Great Lakes people don't wear shoes.

In northern MN, especially on the North Shore and the Range, "Tenners" is super common.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

DrBouvenstein posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUaMzsNKR7Q

Speaking of regional things, I just found out that a Witch Window is sometihng that pretty much only exists in Vermont:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Witch_window

I've lived hear almost my whole life, so I guess I just assumed it was a common thing elsewhere.

You need to explain this loving thing to me. What the hell?

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

KillHour posted:

You need to explain this loving thing to me. What the hell?

Sometimes you want a window in your gable but there's no room for a conventionally-oriented one. Tilting a regular window is easier than expanding the roof or putting in a dormer (which lets a lot of heat out). You can even take the window out and reuse it!

Also witches can't fly through tilted windows. You want to keep your family safe from witches, right?

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
Continuing regionalchat, I just found out that Fluffernutter sandwiches are apparently only a thing in New England, even though you can totally buy Fluff in other parts of the country

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Pththya-lyi posted:

Also witches can't fly through tilted windows.

Another time where someone posts in the Stuff You Cant Believe You Just Figured Out thread without doing research. I have personally witnessed at least 3 witches flying through tilted windows.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

kazil posted:

Another time where someone posts in the Stuff You Cant Believe You Just Figured Out thread without doing research. I have personally witnessed at least 3 witches flying through tilted windows.

They'd hit their heads on the top, idiot. Brooms don't let you slide to the side because of the shape.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

What about witches tokyo drifting though?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

InediblePenguin posted:

Continuing regionalchat, I just found out that Fluffernutter sandwiches are apparently only a thing in New England, even though you can totally buy Fluff in other parts of the country

That's because they're gross.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

InediblePenguin posted:

People made them when I lived in Kansas City, fuckers make them here in Texas. I'm pretty sure Fluffernutters are a thing in most places where people like peanut-butter and marshmallow fluff and don't give a gently caress.

I have tried them, I don't like them, pb&j is superior imo.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

My favorite part of this thread has returned! In my corner of the world we call thing something. Also we call different thing something else!!

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Snapchat A Titty posted:

My favorite part of this thread has returned! In my corner of the world we call thing something. Also we call different thing something else!!

I'll have a Pepsi

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

syscall girl posted:

I'll have a Pepsi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoF_a0-7xVQ

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Smash it Smash hit posted:

sierra mist.... mountain dew.

duh.

gahhhhh! nice

but they dont taste the same. sierra mist is sprite made by pepsi.

Mister Macys posted:

The WWE wrestler Yokozuna is Samoan. I always thought he was Hawaiian-Japanese.
Close enough. Pacific Islander.

Elim Garak
Aug 5, 2010

Pththya-lyi posted:

Sometimes you want a window in your gable but there's no room for a conventionally-oriented one. Tilting a regular window is easier than expanding the roof or putting in a dormer (which lets a lot of heat out). You can even take the window out and reuse it!

Also witches can't fly through tilted windows. You want to keep your family safe from witches, right?

But why Vermont and not upstate New York or New Hampshire or western Massachusetts? I guess I don't expect you to actually know, I just think it's weird.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Elim Garak posted:

But why Vermont and not upstate New York or New Hampshire or western Massachusetts? I guess I don't expect you to actually know, I just think it's weird.

Something similar to founder's effect, probably.

One carpenter somewhere in Vermont started doing it to save materials at some point, and it spread from him. Makes total sense to reuse the window when you're building an extension. People around noticed and thought "huh, that's pretty clever use of materials." It hasn't spread further because there hasn't been enough time and now you can just order the house online and 3d-print it.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Captain Monkey posted:

They'd hit their heads on the top, idiot. Brooms don't let you slide to the side because of the shape.

Nuh-uh, if they hit their head it proves they aren't a real witch read a book.

Snapchat A Titty posted:

What about witches tokyo drifting though?

Salem Drift

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

kazil posted:

Nuh-uh, if they hit their head it proves they aren't a real witch read a book.

Are you sure you aren't just misremembering the ordeal by ax?

Nuclear Pogostick
Apr 9, 2007

Bouncing towards victory
I just figured out that "alley-oop" is actually french. I thought it was just nonsense for the longest time. Allez-hop, according to wikipedia, is the original french spelling.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Mister Macys posted:

Atlantic Canada too. I've only heard "tennis shoes" in 80s movies.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

KoRMaK posted:

gahhhhh! nice

but they dont taste the same. sierra mist is sprite made by pepsi.

Close enough. Pacific Islander.

And Sierra Mist used to be Lemon-Lime Slice :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

more piss, less lemon