Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

colas posted:

I'm not really into the memory foam ones, anybody like a non-foam pillow? Also, I need decent/cheap BT speaker. Just something at least a couple notches louder than my phone.

Buckwheat.

Portable or stationary? What is "cheap?" These are questions to ask yourself before you start your search, and if you know the answers to them then this is information you provide when soliciting recommendations.

Note: if you're thinking of getting a portable BT speaker, seriously consider the use case scenarios. If it's something that would traditionally be filled by an AM/FM radio (like listening to music while you work in the shop, on a site, etc) then you're good, but if it's there so you and your buddies can listen to your jams wherever you go everyone will hate you up-to-and-possibly-including your buddies, and if it's to pull out every time you want to show a video on your phone to others just don't. Don't. Stop showing phone videos to your friends so often that you need a separate device for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
What traumatic videos did someone show you?

Aubergine Despot
Jan 1, 2009
I switched to a buckwheat hull pillow a few years back, and now I can't sleep comfortably with anything else.

Advantages: firm, doesn't heat up too much, can be contoured to offer proper support regardless of how ridiculously contorted your sleeping position may be.

Disadvantages: way too expensive (at least in Canada), VERY firm, not much "lift," potential for mold if you get it wet.

I love mine -- it's hugely reduced my level of general neck / shoulder pain -- but I'll readily admit that they're not for everyone.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Kaizoku posted:

Note: if you're thinking of getting a portable BT speaker, seriously consider the use case scenarios. If it's something that would traditionally be filled by an AM/FM radio (like listening to music while you work in the shop, on a site, etc) then you're good, but if it's there so you and your buddies can listen to your jams wherever you go everyone will hate you up-to-and-possibly-including your buddies, and if it's to pull out every time you want to show a video on your phone to others just don't. Don't. Stop showing phone videos to your friends so often that you need a separate device for it.

drat son, calm down. I just wanna listen to standup comedy while I'm in the shower. Nobody wants to watch the videos I watch, buncha savages in this town.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

colas posted:

drat son, calm down. I just wanna listen to standup comedy while I'm in the shower. Nobody wants to watch the videos I watch, buncha savages in this town.

Yeah, that rant might be better tailored to a specific person I know. Sorry about that!

If you're invested in iOS, I use this for AirPlay, but I also purchased it at $20 not $40, and I just plugged in an old set of computer speakers that don't require power: http://www.amazon.com/SABRENT-Receiver-Portable-Speakers-WF-RADU/dp/B00L26YDA4

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

colas posted:

I just throw my phone into a ziplock bag whenever I want to do something like that. :shrug:

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

[quote="colas" post=""451054995"]
I'm looking for a good napkin holder and butter dish. Maybe you guys know of some amazing options for these everyday items.
[/quote]

I use a butter bell crock, it's like an upside down butter dish you put in water.

The Fuzzy Hulk has a new favorite as of 21:55 on Oct 6, 2015

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
The shower is too loud for my phone as well, I use this which I got as a gift, years ago http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E9YIFQ4

there are probably better/cheaper ones but that's the one I use. In a plastic bag.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

I use a butter bell crock, it's like an upside butter dish you put in water.

I was looking at those. Kinda weird though, I've never seen one at anyone's place.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Looking for a beard trimmer.

Been using a combo of hand trimming with scissors and my hair clippers for a while now, figured it's time to get something that can do the job quicker, easier, and more evenly.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

colas posted:

I was looking at those. Kinda weird though, I've never seen one at anyone's place.

It really keeps the butter softer, the water makes a seal at the bottom so no air can get to it. It's weird cramming it full of butter, tho.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Aubergine Despot posted:

I switched to a buckwheat hull pillow a few years back, and now I can't sleep comfortably with anything else.

Advantages: firm, doesn't heat up too much, can be contoured to offer proper support regardless of how ridiculously contorted your sleeping position may be.

Disadvantages: way too expensive (at least in Canada), VERY firm, not much "lift," potential for mold if you get it wet.

I love mine -- it's hugely reduced my level of general neck / shoulder pain -- but I'll readily admit that they're not for everyone.

Is it nosiy when you move around?

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

DrBouvenstein posted:

Looking for a beard trimmer.

Been using a combo of hand trimming with scissors and my hair clippers for a while now, figured it's time to get something that can do the job quicker, easier, and more evenly.

Hair clippers don't keep it even?

I bought some $30 Wahl kit back in 2010 and use it for beards and occasionally sides of my head. Seems to work fine :shrug:

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Etrips posted:

Is it nosiy when you move around?

Yes but you get used to it fairly quick.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

kloa posted:

Hair clippers don't keep it even?

I bought some $30 Wahl kit back in 2010 and use it for beards and occasionally sides of my head. Seems to work fine :shrug:

Seconding this. I always figured the only upside to a dedicated beard trimmer is you don't have the drag the kit out of the closet and plug it in.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
It's not as even as a dedicated beard trimmer would be, no. I guess because my face has smaller curves than my head and whatnot.

Hair clippers are also too big, and can't fit around my mustache and chin/mouth area very well, hence why I have to break out the scissors, too.

And also as Geoj said, a cordless beard trimmer would be easier to get out and use, especially since it'd be more frequent (ideally like once a week, as opposed to my once a month with the annoying hair clippers.)

And regarding butter bell crocks - I don't like the idea that you have to "smoosh" the butter in there. Seems like there's no way you could do it and not get buter all over your hands.

Also, butter sticks are a great invention. Even without the wrapper, I can eyeball a tablespoon very easily and cut it off with a knife.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

I just put a stick in butter in a regular covered dish and it's fine, I don't see the need for the whole water thing.

CowboyKid
May 29, 2008
If you cook:

is required.

You can wrap or cover anything. Half a tomato or onion, wrap leftover meat. This stuff is what cling wrap wants to grow up to be.

hell you can wrap your butter in it!

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Even fancy butter?

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

colas posted:

I just put a stick in butter in a regular covered dish and it's fine, I don't see the need for the whole water thing.

my grandmother tried this and ended up with moldy butter

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

kloa posted:

my grandmother tried this and ended up with moldy butter

Where does your grandmother live and how long was the butter out?

I've never seen butter get moldy. I didn't even know it was possible. Rancid? Yeah, sure, all the time (especially if it's not covered well in the fridge.)

But moldy seems almost impossible. I thought butter didn't have enough moisture for mold.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
It can get moldy, but you can just scrape it off.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
The mold adds character.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Chas McGill posted:

It can get moldy, but you can just scrape it off.

Butter and cheese follow the same rules, of course.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

DrBouvenstein posted:

It's not as even as a dedicated beard trimmer would be, no. I guess because my face has smaller curves than my head and whatnot.

Hair clippers are also too big, and can't fit around my mustache and chin/mouth area very well, hence why I have to break out the scissors, too.

And also as Geoj said, a cordless beard trimmer would be easier to get out and use, especially since it'd be more frequent (ideally like once a week, as opposed to my once a month with the annoying hair clippers.)

Grab a Wahl Peanut or the cordless version. Should do you nicely and they're relatively inexpensive.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

-nvm got this

Bissell 1548 ProHeat 2X Revolution Pet Full-Size Carpet Cleaner https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0126C9A5K/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_QXwfwbSVWJR2N

Nostalgia4Dogges has a new favorite as of 20:04 on Oct 7, 2015

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

colas posted:

I'm not really into the memory foam ones, anybody like a non-foam pillow? Also, I need decent/cheap BT speaker. Just something at least a couple notches louder than my phone.

I've tried at least 3-4 expensive rear end memory foam and latex pillows. One in particular that was cooling latex killed my neck every morning.

After like 5 years this is all I needed all along. Think it was recommended here

http://www.overstock.com/#/Bedding-Bath/Premier-Down-like-Personal-Choice-Density-Pillows-Set-of-2/38813/product.html

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Thwomp posted:

Grab a Wahl Peanut or the cordless version. Should do you nicely and they're relatively inexpensive.

Seconding the Peanut. Best clippers I"ve owned.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

-nvm got this

Bissell 1548 ProHeat 2X Revolution Pet Full-Size Carpet Cleaner https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0126C9A5K/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_QXwfwbSVWJR2N

You have chosen... poorly.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

It seems like there's a mattress review site that gets posted in these threads from time to time. Anybody have that?

Or, if anybody wants to give more direct advice, my current mattress is super old and is probably entirely made up of dust mites and dead skin cells by now. I'd like to upgrade to a larger size, but I don't have room for that at the moment. Whenever I get around to moving (and I don't know how many months/years that could be) I'd like to invest in a nice new mattress. In the meantime, though, my lovely mattress is doing my back no favors. If nothing else I want to buy a new foam topper, but I'm tempted to get a cheapass mattress to tide me over until I'm able to get something nicer.

Buying a cheap mattress online seems like a hilariously bad idea, but the little voice in the back of my mind keeps saying, "Well, your CURRENT mattress is definitely garbage..." Somebody please talk some sense into me before some goddamn podcast catches me in a moment of weakness with their advertising. Or, if by some miracle, these mattresses are ok, you can tell me that, too.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

There are two referral chain threads in the deals forum. I personally got a Casper bed. They both have 3 month (or longer?) hassle free returns so really you can't go wrong. It's so case by case everyone's body is different. I do like my Casper though.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Julet Esqu posted:

It seems like there's a mattress review site that gets posted in these threads from time to time. Anybody have that?

Or, if anybody wants to give more direct advice, my current mattress is super old and is probably entirely made up of dust mites and dead skin cells by now. I'd like to upgrade to a larger size, but I don't have room for that at the moment. Whenever I get around to moving (and I don't know how many months/years that could be) I'd like to invest in a nice new mattress. In the meantime, though, my lovely mattress is doing my back no favors. If nothing else I want to buy a new foam topper, but I'm tempted to get a cheapass mattress to tide me over until I'm able to get something nicer.

Buying a cheap mattress online seems like a hilariously bad idea, but the little voice in the back of my mind keeps saying, "Well, your CURRENT mattress is definitely garbage..." Somebody please talk some sense into me before some goddamn podcast catches me in a moment of weakness with their advertising. Or, if by some miracle, these mattresses are ok, you can tell me that, too.

http://www.sleeplikethedead.com/

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
I don't have a peanut, but the Wahl clippers I do have are really good. A solid brand in my experience.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
As winter rolls around, I always remind my friends that if your lips ever chap, at all, you need this:

Other chapsticks actually chap you more over the long run, necessitating re-chapsticking every hour or so. Not with this stuff. It was originally designed for chemo patients who had chapped lips and you'd have to be a real scumbag to provide cancer patients with a fakeass scam product like regular ChapStick. Anyway, get this. It was first recommended to me by a dermatologist when I was on isotretinoin, which is a medication that absolutely chaps the everliving poo poo out of your lips. If I forgot this my face would bleed.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Wow, this site is not loving around. Sleeping is serious business. There's so much to consider, I'll just try one of each type of pillow because it looks like they all have downsides.

Also, do any of you use a VPN, proxy, other privacy service like torguard?

colas has a new favorite as of 16:02 on Oct 14, 2015

Jewce
Mar 11, 2008

Julet Esqu posted:

The best mattress site I know is https://www.themattressunderground.com Phoenix is the real deal and will teach you all you need to know about finding the right mattress for you.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

colas posted:

Wow, this site is not loving around. Sleeping is serious business. There's so much to consider, I'll just try one of each type of pillow because it looks like they all have downsides.

Also, do any of you use a VPN, proxy, other privacy service like torguard?

i use tunnelbear and ipvanish, and have tried hma, purevpn and express vpn. i cancelled them because their routing was shithouse (i used it to play csgo in singapore from perth, because without a vpn my isp would route everything through the east coast of australia, meaing my ping was 4x higher than with a vpn)

IPVanish's software's not bad on both windows and mac, but none of them beat tunnelbear for ease of use and appearance. tunnelbear also let me stream american netflix at high res while ipvanish would cause it to drop to low res sometimes. the only problem with tunnelbear is they've got weird security policies like blocking the ports required to use teamspeak. i'm not sure what other ports are blocked but torrents etc worked fine

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

DrBouvenstein posted:

Where does your grandmother live and how long was the butter out?

I've never seen butter get moldy. I didn't even know it was possible. Rancid? Yeah, sure, all the time (especially if it's not covered well in the fridge.)

But moldy seems almost impossible. I thought butter didn't have enough moisture for mold.

It's not absence of moisture, it's because the fats are too toxic for the vast majority of microbes to tolerate (same reason, along with dryness, that you don't get mould growing on your skin). If your butter is going mouldy, I'd guess it's getting wet - condensation possibly. A drop of water could dilute the fats enough to make it colonisable. That's why you only get mould growing on the surface of jam, too - condensation gathers on the underside of the lid and drips onto the surface, diluting the sugar enough for bugs to be able to live there - but they can't drill down into it because the rest is still too concentrated.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

There are two referral chain threads in the deals forum. I personally got a Casper bed. They both have 3 month (or longer?) hassle free returns so really you can't go wrong. It's so case by case everyone's body is different. I do like my Casper though.

My Casper comes in today and I'm gonna personally burn the Internet down if this hip cool company's magic product doesn't solve all my issues. I'm pretty excited, I tried an IKEA latex mattress and was ok with it, hope his will be better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

martinlutherbling
Mar 27, 2010
Looking for a super warm and weatherproof winter jacket for my girlfriend. Would like to spend $200 or so. It gets COLD here in VT, below 0 and snows/sleets a lot, so it needs to stand up to that kind of weather. Thanks!