Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
A few years ago someone wrote up a big effortpost in the TFR scope thread about why optics are still so expensive. I don't remember much of it but the takeaway is that, at least for scopes, they continue to improve in quality at the mid to top end, and even cheaper ones are way better then cheap scopes from 50 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

bunnielab posted:

A few years ago someone wrote up a big effortpost in the TFR scope thread about why optics are still so expensive. I don't remember much of it but the takeaway is that, at least for scopes, they continue to improve in quality at the mid to top end, and even cheaper ones are way better then cheap scopes from 50 years ago.

:lol: if you don't shoot straight 10s with the iron sights on a '85 rifle at 1 km just :laffo: why do you even shoot shooting guns?

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

bro do you even curve bullets?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Jerry Cotton posted:

:lol: if you don't shoot straight 10s with the iron sights on a '85 rifle at 1 km just :laffo: why do you even shoot shooting guns?

Just because you guys had one dude who could do that doesn't mean the rest of you all get to brag about it.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

bunnielab posted:

Just because you guys had one dude who could do that doesn't mean the rest of you all get to brag about it.

If you couldn't do it you got sent to the Mongol front and were never heard from again.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Ropes4u posted:

I'm going to get scuba certified starting Saturday.

Welcome to one of the great money sinks in life. The others being cars and guns.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

MA-Horus posted:

Welcome to one of the great money sinks in life. The others being cars and guns.

And motorcycles and photography

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

PCOS Bill posted:

And boats and golf

Bud
Oct 5, 2002

Quite Polite Like Walter Cronkite
As my dad used to say, if you wanna play you gotta pay.
I'm into 3 of those things (I sold my motorcycle).

edit: got my car back on the road after a long hiatus, bought lots of things but most recently 3 Vitaloni Baby Turbo mirrors - one new and two used. New one was black so out came the plasti-dip

Bud has a new favorite as of 01:34 on Oct 7, 2015

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

MA-Horus posted:

Have all the above and look forward to completing our first OW dive next week.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

MA-Horus posted:

PCOS Bill posted:

Kaizoku posted:

And boats and golf

Women.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Women are only expensive because they enjoy you owning the cars, motorcycles, and boats.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Digital_Jesus posted:

Women are only expensive because they enjoy you owning the cars, motorcycles, and boats.

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:
:shlick:

Owns......OOOOOOOWNS.

Edit: we got rid of the kowtow emote? The gently caress?

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I filled my tank up with gas, but I'm at the point where gas is basically an intangible concept at this point so no pictures.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Coffee And Pie posted:

I filled my tank up with gas, but I'm at the point where gas is basically an intangible concept at this point so no pictures.

This is how it's done:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

VendaGoat posted:

Edit: we got rid of the kowtow emote? The gently caress?

:worship:?

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

I'm Blind.
https://youtu.be/cmHSLhJhlEM?t=14s

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

holy poo poo i thought this was the pyf purchase thread, instead it's a sitcom from 1988

Spamtheman
May 30, 2005

Effer of the ineffable

Oh God, my poor Rands.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Now I just need to wait for the actual console... :negative:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Don't they have bundles that include at least a few of those games, or are those US only?

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Aphrodite posted:

Don't they have bundles that include at least a few of those games, or are those US only?

I've pre-ordered the Halo 5 limited edition console/bundle thing, otherwise yeah I would have gone for one of those.

*edit*

This sexy bastard:

GuardianOfAsgaard has a new favorite as of 16:22 on Oct 7, 2015

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

I've pre-ordered the Halo 5 limited edition console/bundle thing, otherwise yeah I would have gone for one of those.

*edit*

This sexy bastard:

I don't even care about Halo but I love that console. If I didn't already have the CALLADOODY Xbone I'd consider it (I don't care about CALLADOODY either, but it was the only way to get a 1TB console at the time)

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Plane tickets to here:

San Juan

Along with things like rooms, rental car, etc...

Also a ferry ticket to here:

Viques island

So that we can go to this:

Bioluminescent Bay.

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Obviously you're not a golfer.

Disneyland Halloween party, and it happens on my daughters 1 year birthday.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

DrBouvenstein posted:

Plane tickets to here:

San Juan

Along with things like rooms, rental car, etc...

Also a ferry ticket to here:

Viques island

Bioluminescent Bay.

This is so cool.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

DrBouvenstein posted:

Bioluminescent Bay.
Eagerly awaiting a trip report as to whether it's that cool in person or just photography bullshit :argh:

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

DrBouvenstein posted:

Bioluminescent Bay.

Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought

SpaceGoatFarts has a new favorite as of 07:09 on Oct 8, 2015

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I bought flea collars for the dogs and cats, and flea bath stuff for the cats, because SOMEBODY decided she had to go outside and brought friends with her. And a UTI. I also paid the vet a lot of money for cat antibiotics.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Also

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
Congratulation on giving money to the gun industry lobby! Enjoy your free Accidental Death and Dismemberment coverage.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

guns are interesting and cool but the nra is seriously the worst

why not put your money someplace less evil? like idk bill cosbys defence fund or the lords resistance army

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
You guys are making the Lifetime Membership look really enticing

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

PCOS Bill posted:

Can you buy me a Walther PPK or alternative instead? I promise to send you Christmas cards for the rest of my life.

RolandTower
Nov 19, 2003

Guns n' Roses n' Deus Ex Machina
Bleak Gremlin

PCOS Bill posted:

I strongly encourage you to spend your money on getting infinite robo calls from a political lobby for life in order to make some people on the Internet a little annoyed.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

RolandTower posted:

I strongly encourage you to spend your money on getting infinite robo calls from a political lobby for life in order to make some people on the Internet a little annoyed.

Yeah, specific political issues aside, I was never more flooded with spam, junk mail and robocalls then when I started donating money to causes I believe in.

I genuinely supported the issues, but I couldn't get them to save their money by just taking what I already gave them and not mailing, calling and emailing me. I had chosen this amount to be regularly debited because I was comfortable with it, asking for more just pissed me off and I ended up canceling the worst offenders.

I still give blood though, even though they are the loving most annoying shits.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Bought a few of my friends some of these

to go with these

and each a year of this

Because I'm making them go with me.

After I wrote a check to this place

So I could do this

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

blarzgh posted:

After I wrote a check to this place

So I could do this

You're going to photograph a wedding? Boooring.

Just kidding, congrats!

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

RolandTower posted:

I've been a yearly NRA member on and off for decades, I've never gotten so much as an unwanted flyer from them.

I have a single donation to the Second Amendment Foundation ~4 years ago though and regularly get their nearly schizophrenic crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Josh Lyman posted:

Eagerly awaiting a trip report as to whether it's that cool in person or just photography bullshit :argh:

You and me both.

If you do a GIS for "Vieques Bioluminescent Bay" pretty much all of them looked heavily edited. But I also think it's one of those things that does look super cool and awesome in person, but just doesn't photograph well, so a non-edited picture would look like poo poo, but maybe and edited one looks closer to reality?

Even some of the videos I've found seem to be heavily post-processed.

Here's one that looks pretty legit, since the guy even talks about how hard it is to capture how it looks in real life on camera:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bA0IywSHbZY

I almost want to buy a GoPro (or cheap alternative) for the trip. Not just the biobay, but snorkling, going through the rainforest, general exploring, etc...Just something that can take "Good enough" 1080p video and has a good waterproof housing/case.