Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Zeroisanumber posted:

Bystander opens fire on a shoplifter in a crowded parking lot in Auburn Hills, MI. Luckily, no one was hurt this time.

This is an excellent example of what concealed carry classes tell you to never, ever do. Also an excellent example of the fact that the public is too idiotic to be trusted with loaded guns.

If/when they find the shoplifter I'd put money on "well they were found because of the damage the bullet did to the car" poo poo to try and make the woman gun a hero instead of a liability.

Dead Reckoning posted:

They're not shaking Toyota down. That whole unit in the Treasury department exists to investigate how terrorist groups fund and supply themselves, and since there isn't a new Japanese car dealership in Raqqa these days, they're asking Toyota to help them figure out how the trucks got from the factory to ISIS territory, like tracing a gun used in a crime.

I'm guessing it'll go something like this:

:911: Hey Toyota how's the investigation going?
:japan: Hi America. As best we can tell it looks like the trucks are procured through Saudi Ar-
:911: Oh uh nevermind...
:gop: BENGHAZI YOU SAY? BENGHAZI BENGHAZI BENGHAZI BENGHAZI BENGHAZI BENGHAZI!!!! CLINTON FOUNDATION! WE NEED AN INVESTIGATION!

Luigi Thirty posted:

http://read.bi/1JQyU1i

That drug that had the 5000% price increase that he said he was going to lower the price of? It's the same price.

I really hope this guy's found face down in a ditch someday.

Talmonis posted:

So what happens if (when), in one of these "Open Carry Campuses" two drunken college hicks draw down on each other over perceived slights? Or worse, the inevitable unarmed black guy being shot for startling one?

If it happens in Texas the black hulking thug supercharged on 'skittles and iced tea' will be shown to have once done something juvenile and as such we can see he was no angel.

...and yet there are people who would unironically argue it to be true. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Talmonis posted:

Aren't they also trying to get rid of licensing requirements?

Constitutional carry hasn't gotten a lot of support from law and order Republicans and is mostly a fringe position.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Talmonis posted:

Aren't they also trying to get rid of licensing requirements?

How would they keep black people from carrying if they did that?

(Real answer, I have no idea. Arizona and a few others have. I don't think it's a good idea.)

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Dead Reckoning posted:

How would they keep black people from carrying if they did that?

(Real answer, I have no idea. Arizona and a few others have. I don't think it's a good idea.)

Arrest them for something, get a bullshit felony charge where they'd slap a white kid on the wrist, sorry you can't carry a gun you're a felon.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

BUBBA GAY DUDLEY posted:

Arrest them for something, get a bullshit felony charge where they'd slap a white kid on the wrist, sorry you can't carry a gun you're a felon.

Or just kill them and claim self defense. It doesn't even need to be the police.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Evil Fluffy posted:

If/when they find the shoplifter I'd put money on "well they were found because of the damage the bullet did to the car" poo poo to try and make the woman gun a hero instead of a liability.

Something a rock or notepad could have easily done.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

1337JiveTurkey posted:

Or just kill them and claim self defense. It doesn't even need to be the police.

And if this sounds excessively cynical, Southern white supremacy depended on private enforcement through the threat and use of violence.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Dead Reckoning posted:

Nobody sane is alleging that they knew it was a hospital when they attacked it.
Yes they have. Many posters here have been saying the bombers could have known it was a hospital but believed they were being fired on from it, and that would have been justification. You can go back to when the news first broke to see the posts.
Hell that's exactly what the initial response from the locals was, that the taliban were using the hospital as a firing base!

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Map of gun deaths from 2004-2010

So this is how red states got their name?

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

fknlo posted:

Not sure what it's actually possible to glean from that map, as it's an almost exact inverse of a county-level map of US Population density.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

fknlo posted:

Wikipedia posted:

This terminology came into use in the United States presidential election of 2000 on an episode of the Today show on October 30, 2000. According to AlterNet and The Washington Post, the terms were coined by journalist Tim Russert, during his televised coverage of the 2000 presidential election.[1] That was not the first election during which the news media used colored maps to depict voter preferences in the various states, but it was the first time a standard color scheme took hold; the colors were often reversed or different colors used before the 2000 election.

So no, it has nothing to do with regional variation in suicide rate and preferred means of committing suicide.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Talmonis posted:

So what happens if (when), in one of these "Open Carry Campuses" two drunken college hicks draw down on each other over perceived slights? Or worse, the inevitable unarmed black guy being shot for startling one?

All it takes is one kid not getting his jalapeno bacon mac & cheese...

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

LGD posted:

So no, it has nothing to do with regional variation in suicide rate and preferred means of committing suicide.

:thejoke:

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
Shut Down the Benghazi Committee

quote:

House Republicans may be disinclined to disband the Select Committee on Benghazi with the presidential race heating up. But at the very least they should rename their laughable crusade, which has cost taxpayers $4.6 million, “the Inquisition of Hillary Rodham Clinton.”

:black101:

So are McCarthy's comments catching on? Is this turning point?

I figure eventually the Benghazi Committee will end. Will it be on the last day of President Hillary's term? After she's dead? When the Clinton name is forgotten to the depths of history?

William Bear fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Oct 7, 2015

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

William Bear posted:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/07/opinion/shut-down-the-benghazi-committee.html?ref=topics

:black101:

So are McCarthy's comments catching on? Is this turning point?

I figure eventually the Benghazi Committee will end. Will it be on the last day of President Hillary's term? After she's dead? When the Clinton name is forgotten to the depths of history?

Not before October 22, and we'll have to see what narrative emerges from Hillary's testimony.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

CommanderApaul posted:

Not sure what it's actually possible to glean from that map, as it's an almost exact inverse of a county-level map of US Population density.

Except it's not, unless you think Iowa is full of booming metropolises, and no one lives in Tennessee.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Harik posted:

That's nothing. Wake me when one of her senior staff dies of a treatable illness because she canceled his health insurance.

the_paradigm_shift posted:

She refused to give a dead guy's widow his $30k last paycheck for years, is that enough?

Harik posted:

I guess differently lovely? "I refused to pay his medical bills just to watch him die."

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Letting your staffers die uninsured is more of Ron Paul thing, so I guess if she wants to court the libertarian vote...

I guess I obscured it too much with the "I shot a man in reno..." bit.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

William Bear posted:

"Legend speaks of the ancient fortress BenGaySee, where the most vielest of rats did dwell..."

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Harik posted:

I guess I obscured it too much with the "I shot a man in reno..." bit.

They say Paul once shot a piece of fiat money in Reno just to watch it lose value.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Luigi Thirty posted:

They say Paul once shot a piece of fiat money in Reno just to watch it lose value.

"I bought a house in Reno, just to watch it depreciate."

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Riosan posted:

Giving everybody a pie to throw would prevent this

This is basically my dream comedy scenario slash perfect society.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
But what if someone brings a cake to the pie fight? This is just more government oppression!

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Phone posted:

I actually laughed out loud at the "The shooter can only shoot one person at a time, he cannot shoot a group of people" line.

This is one of my favorite effects in Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

fknlo posted:

Uh, I live(ed) in one of the county's that's red and I don't think there's been 16.4 gun deaths there in the last 50 years, let alone last decade.

Here's a more helpful version of that:

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Mozi posted:

But what if someone brings a cake to the pie fight? This is just more government oppression!

Please join my new organization, the Nickelodeon Rights Association.

We promise slime in every home and a pie in everyone else's face. (Whites only.)

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

fknlo posted:

Ummm... Your map is flawed because it doesn't adequately show how Chicago is a hell-scape of violent gun deaths due to gun control. Idiot.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

CommanderApaul posted:

Considering the map is depicting per capita gun deaths, what the gently caress are you on about?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Hillary opposes TPP:

http://www.nytimes.com/politics/first-draft/2015/10/07/hillary-clinton-opposes-obamas-trans-pacific-trade-deal/

quote:

Hillary Rodham Clinton said Wednesday she does not support the Trans-Pacific Partnership, the 12-nation trade pact that President Obama has championed and liberals in the Democratic Party have vehemently opposed.

After a prolonged period in which Mrs. Clinton avoided weighing in on the controversial trade agreement, on Wednesday she told PBS that she did not support the deal. “As of today, I am not in favor of what I have learned about it,” she said on a stop in Mount Vernon, Iowa. “I don’t believe it is going to meet the high bar I have set.”

Mrs. Clinton, who had been involved in the early stages of the agreement as secretary of state, expressed particular concerns about “currency manipulation not being part of the agreement,” something she has said she would be monitoring the final agreement for.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

I heard she's for gay marriage now too, good for her. Luckily there's a candidate in the race that's been against trade deals since the very start, not just the very start of the quarter.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Radbot posted:

I heard she's for gay marriage now too, good for her. Luckily there's a candidate in the race that's been against trade deals since the very start, not just the very start of the quarter.

called it.

I'd rather a politician who weighs each individual issue on their merits, rather than on blind ideological opposition to free trade and capitalism.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

The Iron Rose posted:

called it.

I'd rather a politician who weighs each individual issue on their merits, rather than on blind ideological opposition to free trade and capitalism.

But both those positions are objectively correct.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

The Iron Rose posted:

called it.

Why would someone need to know what's in a trade deal to oppose it?

Next you're going to ask for your politicians to think!

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

I can't believe I am typing this sentence, but the Freedom Caucus just endorsed Webster for Speaker of the House.

Milk Malk
Sep 17, 2015

Luigi Thirty posted:

But both those positions are objectively correct.

But this post is objectively bad.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

whats webster's deal, other then i am assuming being a nutjob.

Edit: oh gently caress, he is a nutjob. like duggar style nutjob.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Oct 7, 2015

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Milk Malk posted:

But this post is objectively bad.

By all means, regale us with your tales of prosperity brought forth by free trade with countries who have no labor standards.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Hahahahahaha this is going to be an amazing 30 days before the shutdown crisis that hurtles us into the craziest hellscape we never could have dreamed of.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Uh, I live(ed) in one of the county's that's red and I don't think there's been 16.4 gun deaths there in the last 50 years, let alone last decade.
The map you're talking about is gun deaths per 100K population, not total deaths.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Some of these people have never read the Bible, have they? Last time I checked, Jesus didn't exactly kick rear end, take names and threaten people at gunpoint. I guess nobody told them he was a brown Jew living in the Middle East.

• Locked thread