Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mewse
May 2, 2006

I would argue that Ronda is not, in fact, the Ronda of this generation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
I just mean you can't compare her to Royce or Fedor because it just doesn't apply

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I think Ronda could probably beat some of Fedor's PRIDE opponents. Choi Hong-Man might be a giant but he ain't exactly manoeuvrable.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg

-Atom- posted:

Ronda is the Ronda of this generation. She put it best when she rematched Miesha and said "I'm an Olympic athlete, and she's a high school wrestler."

Though tbf the high school wrestler did much better than the Olympic wrestler.

Chain_of_Dogs
Aug 24, 2015
People like to draw parallels, and the Fedor comparison is closer than Royce. Both dominated their respective organizations at the time, but Fedor did it against much more well rounded competition (and yes, against some cans, too). Sure, there are plenty of differences though, and any comparison is bound to be flawed.

Ronda is obviously leaps and bounds ahead of any of her contenders, in ways we haven't seen in recent times. I'd like to see Holm at least make the fight competitive, maybe use her footwork and TDD to at least force Ronda into, I don't know, breaking a sweat? It's hard to see a way through it for her though, and hard not to see Ronda bullying her way in, throwing her to the ground and submitting her in the first round. Maybe she'll try to prove something though and decide to stand and trade.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Lloyd Boner posted:

Though tbf the high school wrestler did much better than the Olympic wrestler.

McMann turned into a wet fart when it comes to MMA which is a bit sad. It was cool to have another fighter with an Olympic pedigree.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Trast posted:

McMann turned into a wet fart when it comes to MMA which is a bit sad. It was cool to have another fighter with an Olympic pedigree.

She decided convenience was more important than moving to an actual good camp.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Surely ronda is the yoshida. Judo, insanely popular, handsome, etc.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Chain_of_Dogs posted:

People like to draw parallels, and the Fedor comparison is closer than Royce. Both dominated their respective organizations at the time, but Fedor did it against much more well rounded competition (and yes, against some cans, too). Sure, there are plenty of differences though, and any comparison is bound to be flawed.

Ronda is obviously leaps and bounds ahead of any of her contenders, in ways we haven't seen in recent times. I'd like to see Holm at least make the fight competitive, maybe use her footwork and TDD to at least force Ronda into, I don't know, breaking a sweat? It's hard to see a way through it for her though, and hard not to see Ronda bullying her way in, throwing her to the ground and submitting her in the first round. Maybe she'll try to prove something though and decide to stand and trade.

In the sense that most of Fedor's opponents were very round, yes. Because they were fat.

But no, they weren't well rounded. He was pretty much the only well rounded heavyweight.

JuanGoat
Nov 6, 2009

CommonShore posted:

HW has two great fighters, one pretty good but declining fighter with multiple losses to one of the great ones, an old man on a winning streak, and a garbage fire.

The best part of this is how literally no one remembers Miocic.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Chain_of_Dogs posted:

i agree that most wmma fighters are on the level on zuluzinho

Ogantai
Apr 21, 2003

Full of bologna

Foul Fowl posted:

i agree that most wmma fighters are on the level on zuluzinho

Zuluzinho's got bigger titties though.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

JuanGoat posted:

The best part of this is how literally no one remembers Miocic.

Well, he shouldn't have gotten comprehensively outboxed by Stefan loving Struve, then.

The coolest thing about heavyweight is that everyone has kind of a crap resume. Even the top 5 or 6 guys thus far, the most impressive wins on their resumes are primarily each other.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Snowman_McK posted:

Well, he shouldn't have gotten comprehensively outboxed by Stefan loving Struve, then.

getting stuck on the end of a 7ft tall man's reach the one time he remembers to use his length is way more excusable than being comprehensively annihilated by chael sonnen for 23 minutes or getting out kick-boxed by jake shields or indeed most low-points of most great fighter's careers

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Marching Powder posted:

getting stuck on the end of a 7ft tall man's reach the one time he remembers to use his length is way more excusable than being comprehensively annihilated by chael sonnen for 23 minutes or getting out kick-boxed by jake shields or indeed most low-points of most great fighter's careers

Not really. Also, it wasn't much to do with Struve's reach. He got out-boxed on the inside. Even if it hadn't been, it's a hard loss to overlook. Struve has a lot of wins, but they're mostly over people who's best win is Phillip DeFries or something. Miocic is a real outlier in that fight record. It's Struve's best win by a huge margin.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Marching Powder posted:

Chael was juiced out of his god drat mind in the first Silva fight and would have done that to any other MW in the world at that time. There isn't any shame in what happened there for Silva, especially considering the ending.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Chael was juiced out of his god drat mind in the first Silva fight and would have done that to any other MW in the world at that time. There isn't any shame in what happened there for Silva, especially considering the ending.

anderson was juiced out of his mind and looked like dog poo poo against nick diaz and was probably just as juiced as sonnen during that fight

Snowman_McK posted:

Not really. Also, it wasn't much to do with Struve's reach. He got out-boxed on the inside. Even if it hadn't been, it's a hard loss to overlook. Struve has a lot of wins, but they're mostly over people who's best win is Phillip DeFries or something. Miocic is a real outlier in that fight record. It's Struve's best win by a huge margin.

i haven't watched the fight since it happened by i remember miocic winning until a 280lb giant hit him clean in the face at the full length of his reach a few times in a row and has backed that performance up with some absolutely staggering efforts against jds and hunto that bringing that particular fight up as if it in any way defines his career is stupid

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Marching Powder posted:

anderson was juiced out of his mind and looked like dog poo poo against nick diaz and was probably just as juiced as sonnen during that fight

i haven't watched the fight since it happened by i remember miocic winning until a 280lb giant hit him clean in the face at the full length of his reach a few times in a row and has backed that performance up with some absolutely staggering efforts against jds and hunto that bringing that particular fight up as if it in any way defines his career is stupid

It was a 250 pound tall guy and it was a bunch of uppercuts and hooks. Nobody who actually takes the sport seriously would say it defines his career. It's an outlier for both fighters, it's also a terrific fight and so it's easy to see why it would pop up in someone's memory quicker than the time he decisioned Roy Nelson or Gonzaga, or the 35 second knockout of Maldonado.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Snowman_McK posted:

It was a 250 pound tall guy and it was a bunch of uppercuts and hooks. Nobody who actually takes the sport seriously would say it defines his career. It's an outlier for both fighters, it's also a terrific fight and so it's easy to see why it would pop up in someone's memory quicker than the time he decisioned JDS and knocked out Mark Hunt?

so your saying your comment that i originally responded to was stupid? i agree.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Mr. Nice! posted:

Lmao

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Marching Powder posted:

so your saying your comment that i originally responded to was stupid? i agree.

The Hunt one was a perfect example of how people's memories can be weird. I missed that fight, but all I remember people talking about, even here, was how Hunt looked terrible and the ref screwed up. The narrative was never "Miocic looked good" it was "Hunt looked terrible." The narrative of the JDS fight was "man, JDS sure has lost a step" not "man, Miocic made JDS look like he'd lost a step." We're discussing why he doesn't pop up in people's heads when they talk about the current crop of Heavyweights, not a breakdown of his skillset (which is formidable)

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Chael was also going to completely just destroy Wanderlei and we were all robbed of it regardless of how hilarious what really happened was.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I think Wanderlei wins the roid off and Chael is only marginally less likely to get popped. Advantage Silva!

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

david carmichael posted:

Surely ronda is the yoshida. Judo, insanely popular, handsome, etc.

the comparison is perfect except yoshida was more famous and better at judo

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Chain_of_Dogs posted:

IIn your mind Fedor fought plenty of well-rounded competition and only "some" cans. laughing on line

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
caposa ‏@GrabakaHitman 2h2 hours ago
Sportscenter guy: "What can fans who have never watched UFC expect to see at UFC 193?"

Joanna J: "They can see blood."

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
also fedor was impressive because he was using technique and explosive attacks to beat more talented/physically gifted fighters, the polar opposite of ronda rousey, and most of his credibility came from beating Nogueira, who was an established bad rear end

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

The Sphinxster posted:

I think Wanderlei wins the roid off and Chael is only marginally less likely to get popped. Advantage Silva!

We already got to see exactly what it would look like. Chael doubled him in the gym and had full control over him even if that dada gently caress was smacking him in the back of the head the whole time.

Had to go watch it again. Here's a link I found.

http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/videos/video.php?v=wshhSV0M5Mhx13In6q7l

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Lord Waffle Beard posted:

caposa ‏@GrabakaHitman 2h2 hours ago
Sportscenter guy: "What can fans who have never watched UFC expect to see at UFC 193?"

Joanna J: "They can see blood."

Joanna Champion is just the best.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

We already got to see exactly what it would look like. Chael doubled him in the gym and had full control over him even if that dada gently caress was smacking him in the back of the head the whole time.

Had to go watch it again. Here's a link I found.

http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/videos/video.php?v=wshhSV0M5Mhx13In6q7l

I still can't work out what's more incredible: How much goodwill Wanderlei burned through or how fast he burned through it.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

-Atom- posted:

Joanna Champion is just the best.

Also looks like Randa finally got a fight. She's signed to fight Karolina Kowalkiewicz on the Orlando Fight Night Card. I was hoping she'd get a chance to sub Esparza after TUF but a fight is a fight.

https://twitter.com/UFC_CA/status/651929619902427136

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

That's a rough matchup.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
Good to see that John Dodson is moving up to 135. The Dillashaw rematch is money.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Trast posted:

Also looks like Randa finally got a fight. She's signed to fight Karolina Kowalkiewicz on the Orlando Fight Night Card. I was hoping she'd get a chance to sub Esparza after TUF but a fight is a fight.

https://twitter.com/UFC_CA/status/651929619902427136

Glad she finally got a fight. Also apparently she's training at TriStar in Montreal now (instead of in Detroit with Daron Cruickshank and Jessica Eye) so that will probably help her game a lot.

e: Apparently Myles Jury vs Charles Oliviera got added to the same card.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

mighty mouse should be the one seeking the handicap of weight at this point. besides uncle creepy who cannot seem to get his poo poo in one sock long enough to warrant a shot at 125 there is not a single compelling challenger left at this weight. let me say though that uncle creepy on his best day would maybe take a round off mighty mouse if they fought now

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Whos after holm btw?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Nierbo posted:

Whos after holm btw?

CM Punk

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013

Nierbo posted:

Whos after holm btw?

Cyborg

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Just get Leslie Smith on a win streak, however brief. She's likable and durable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

After the Holm fight I doubt we even see Ronda back until July or August, plenty of time for someone to win 2 in a row.

• Locked thread