Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I'm hoping the time gimmick only kicks in when there's a mystery to solve, like Elastic Man's nose when there's a clue around. I enjoy the characters and want to see more of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

sout posted:

I'm very curious to see how much variety there can be in the endings. Goddamn I want more Life is Strange, I never played Remember Me but I'm excited to see what Dontnod does next (and hopefully, it's more of this)

Remember Me is on my top ten games of all time. I adore it. It's why I bought into Life is Strange knowing nothing about it.

The thing I always say though: you have to play it with the French audio. The English dub kills it dead. In French, its sublime. The story has a lot of beats in common with LiS, notably episode 3‘s long flashback where the path of good intentions leads to disaster, which is the entire basis for the dystopian future in Remember Me. There are few actual villains, just people who wanted to do the right thing, to make a better future, but who ended up sleepwalking into disaster.

Stunning art design, a combat system people either like/hate (I found it totally fine), an incredible soundtrack, and in French there's actual poetry to that story and I'll loving defend that game being on my top ten of all time to the death. It was an action game that on both playthroughs almost made me cry at the end. There's magic in there.

Clearly the public and critical reaction shows it wasn't for everyone. I adore it though. Everyone should give it a fair chance. It may not click for you, but if it does you will find beauty and heart in a genre of videogame where you least expect to find it.

Game owns. :colbert:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Parkingtigers posted:

Remember Me is on my top ten games of all time. I adore it. It's why I bought into Life is Strange knowing nothing about it.

The thing I always say though: you have to play it with the French audio. The English dub kills it dead. In French, its sublime. The story has a lot of beats in common with LiS, notably episode 3‘s long flashback where the path of good intentions leads to disaster, which is the entire basis for the dystopian future in Remember Me. There are few actual villains, just people who wanted to do the right thing, to make a better future, but who ended up sleepwalking into disaster.

Stunning art design, a combat system people either like/hate (I found it totally fine), an incredible soundtrack, and in French there's actual poetry to that story and I'll loving defend that game being on my top ten of all time to the death. It was an action game that on both playthroughs almost made me cry at the end. There's magic in there.

Clearly the public and critical reaction shows it wasn't for everyone. I adore it though. Everyone should give it a fair chance. It may not click for you, but if it does you will find beauty and heart in a genre of videogame where you least expect to find it.

Are you bilingual or a native French speaker? I have this thing with Polish where I think every Polish dub is perfect, but I am not a native speaker and it's obviously just my mind filling in nuances I can't actually catch. On the other hand, almost every Russian dub sounds completely flat to me, because I know Russian much better than Polish and there's less left to my imagination.

Also, lol at your red text. What game did you like? Apart from Remember me, which is already enough to warrant it.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Parkingtigers posted:

I haven't checked, does LIS have French audio?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Kurtofan posted:

I haven't checked, does LIS have French audio?
Nope, only for subs and the UI.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Paladinus posted:

Are you bilingual or a native French speaker? I have this thing with Polish where I think every Polish dub is perfect, but I am not a native speaker and it's obviously just my mind filling in nuances I can't actually catch. On the other hand, almost every Russian dub sounds completely flat to me, because I know Russian much better than Polish and there's less left to my imagination.

Also, lol at your red text. What game did you like? Apart from Remember me, which is already enough to warrant it.

I know a little French, enough to catch some of the meaning, but not enough to tell if the acting is actually just as bad in the original language. But then, even if it were, it's still more immersive and truer to the vision of the game director who got to work with the actors, as opposed to some jobbers who came in to read lines for the dub. I also played Metro Last Light in the Russian original, knowing nothing of that language, and maintain that was the best way to play too. About to start on Metro 2033 Redux with the same plan.

I get the same issues with movies too, even when a Hollywood level cast is brought in for a Miyazaki film, it's just a different tone and intent from the original. Two issues then, the quality and the tone.

My red text is actually in two parts. I got half of it for adoring Heavy Rain, the other half for adoring Sleeping Dogs. Take my recommendations with that in mind then.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

That's too bad, I wanna hear native French speakers try to crib a West Coast amazeballs accent.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Parkingtigers posted:

the other half for adoring Sleeping Dogs.

Wait what. That was easily the best open world game between RDR and GTA5. Then again I don't like the Saints Rows series so maybe that is the more popular one.

Gwaint
Oct 22, 2010

"Music is the truth. Just listen..."
Today's the anniversary of the day Max got her rewind powers. Happy Rewind-Birthday Max Caulfield :)

God, every day that passes, time seems to go slower and slower. Hurry up October 20th! :argh:

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

exquisite tea posted:

That's too bad, I wanna hear native French speakers try to crib a West Coast amazeballs accent.

What is French for "Hella"?

Kieyen
Dec 18, 2006

wyoming posted:

Baise-moi.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

wyoming posted:

Could be a number of expressions depending on how hella is used.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

Parkingtigers posted:

I know a little French, enough to catch some of the meaning, but not enough to tell if the acting is actually just as bad in the original language. But then, even if it were, it's still more immersive and truer to the vision of the game director who got to work with the actors, as opposed to some jobbers who came in to read lines for the dub. I also played Metro Last Light in the Russian original, knowing nothing of that language, and maintain that was the best way to play too. About to start on Metro 2033 Redux with the same plan.

I get the same issues with movies too, even when a Hollywood level cast is brought in for a Miyazaki film, it's just a different tone and intent from the original. Two issues then, the quality and the tone.

My red text is actually in two parts. I got half of it for adoring Heavy Rain, the other half for adoring Sleeping Dogs. Take my recommendations with that in mind then.

I haven't kept up with game stuff, was the general reaction to Heavy Rain on the negative side because of the Telltale Syndrome ("Your choices matter!!! well, no, actually they don't matter. Please pretend they do matter"), because of all the quicktime events, because the plot was bad, or something else? What little I saw of it seemed intriguing, but it seems a lot of story-focused games end up catching flak for basically being old-timey point-and-click adventure games poorly disguised as something else.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

SexyBlindfold posted:

I haven't kept up with game stuff, was the general reaction to Heavy Rain on the negative side because of the Telltale Syndrome ("Your choices matter!!! well, no, actually they don't matter. Please pretend they do matter"), because of all the quicktime events, because the plot was bad, or something else? What little I saw of it seemed intriguing, but it seems a lot of story-focused games end up catching flak for basically being old-timey point-and-click adventure games poorly disguised as something else.
Its written really poorly and the game mostly plays itself because you rarely run into sections that will actually affect anything if you fail.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Oct 8, 2015

Caros
May 14, 2008

SexyBlindfold posted:

Honestly Heavy Rain is one of the best adventure games I've ever played provided you go into it either not knowing what does and doesn't matter, or willingly going in with the blinders. I played the whole thing start to finish in a single sitting and still have fond memories of it, but I can definitely see how the game can be viewed as utter trash if you catch sight of the man behind the curtain and realize that 90% of what you do doesn't matter.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

SexyBlindfold posted:

I've noticed most posters aren't too hot on Chloe's character. Where do you guys draw the line in the "would trade off for Chloe / would not trade off for Chloe" area? I think I could choose her over Arcadia Bay provided most of the town had been evacuated. It's kind of a lovely town anyway. I would NOT choose her over Pompidou. I might choose her over whales, depending on number and sub-species.
I've known a dozen Chloes in my life and I'd trade all of whatever town for any of them, easily. A town of assholes means poo poo compared to a friend who will act self entitled but will throw the gently caress down for you no matter what, even if there's a super awesome homeless lady living in the town. If the choice was Chloe or Pompidou though, then I really liked how they ended the game at Episode 4.

Larry Parrish posted:

Wait what. That was easily the best open world game between RDR and GTA5. Then again I don't like the Saints Rows series so maybe that is the more popular one.
Sleeping Dogs is the best open world game ever though?

Caros posted:

Honestly Heavy Rain is one of the best adventure games I've ever played provided you go into it either not knowing what does and doesn't matter, or willingly going in with the blinders. I played the whole thing start to finish in a single sitting and still have fond memories of it, but I can definitely see how the game can be viewed as utter trash if you catch sight of the man behind the curtain and realize that 90% of what you do doesn't matter.
My wife and I both played it through blind and both of us loving loved it; we also didn't watch each other play it, and only discussed it afterwards. What a great one-and-done game that was.

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.
The Saddest Rhino explains the "plot" of Heavy Rain, spoilers, duh!

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Well, after 5 years of avoiding spoilers and convincing myself I'd finish the game (I was halfway through) one day, now I'm glad I didn't bother. I liked the presentation and how cinematic it was though, and I don't mind the story being on rails; that reveal really just sours me on the story though.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
I'm baffled about the need for choices to be meaningful. Sure, I adore branching narratives, but there's also something unique and satisying in gaming where you can alter the tone of a scene through gameplay. Some Telltale games are awful for presenting this/that choices that look significant but which later on end up being meaningless. I'll take some of the things Heavy Rain did over that any time.

Example. There's an early Heavy Rain fight in an apartment where the detective with a dodgy heart has to deal with a younger dude who is hassling a woman. No matter what happens, it'll end with the younger guy leaving. How the fight plays out changes the narrative though. Do well at the QTEs and it's a tale of a hardbitten old gumshoe who can still kick some rear end when he needs to. Fail a lot, and he's a washed-up old fool who should know when to back down, and he gets a bruised face (and ego) which carries on to later scenes. "That scene ends the same no matter what" isn't always a valid complaint. Mind you, this was a game where all four of the playable characters could potentially die before the end so it was still delivering on the big stuff.

All sorts of ways to deliver a story. Kind of telling that three of my favourite games this year are Life is Strange, Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, and Her Story. Three games which all have non-traditional storytelling, either by letting you choose a path or experience the story in a non-linear fashion.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Parkingtigers posted:

I'm baffled about the need for choices to be meaningful. Sure, I adore branching narratives, but there's also something unique and satisying in gaming where you can alter the tone of a scene through gameplay. Some Telltale games are awful for presenting this/that choices that look significant but which later on end up being meaningless. I'll take some of the things Heavy Rain did over that any time.

Example. There's an early Heavy Rain fight in an apartment where the detective with a dodgy heart has to deal with a younger dude who is hassling a woman. No matter what happens, it'll end with the younger guy leaving. How the fight plays out changes the narrative though. Do well at the QTEs and it's a tale of a hardbitten old gumshoe who can still kick some rear end when he needs to. Fail a lot, and he's a washed-up old fool who should know when to back down, and he gets a bruised face (and ego) which carries on to later scenes. "That scene ends the same no matter what" isn't always a valid complaint. Mind you, this was a game where all four of the playable characters could potentially die before the end so it was still delivering on the big stuff.

All sorts of ways to deliver a story. Kind of telling that three of my favourite games this year are Life is Strange, Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, and Her Story. Three games which all have non-traditional storytelling, either by letting you choose a path or experience the story in a non-linear fashion.

Heavy rain also did a fantastic job with making gameplay mesh with the scene at hand. The best example of this is the scene where you have to cut off your finger in the mid game. The game requires you to seriously contort your hand to manage it and the difficulty of entering the commands reflects a lot on the sort of paniced "Oh gently caress am I really going to do this" reality of the moment

Also gently caress yeah to Her Story. If people in this thread haven't played it I highly recommend it. Only runs about 4-5 hours but it's a mystery plot that makes you feel like a badass as you piece it together.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Caros posted:

Also gently caress yeah to Her Story. If people in this thread haven't played it I highly recommend it. Only runs about 4-5 hours but it's a mystery plot that makes you feel like a badass as you piece it together.

Is that on PS4? Or is that another one you PC Master Race bastards get to lord over me?

Caros
May 14, 2008

DivisionPost posted:

Is that on PS4? Or is that another one you PC Master Race bastards get to lord over me?

I'm sorry. :(

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

DivisionPost posted:

You got a smart phone? Its on iOS too.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

DivisionPost posted:

I think Her Story is the kind of game that would run on a toaster, so should work on almost all computers, assuming you have one

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Ekusukariba posted:

I think Her Story is the kind of game that would run on a toaster, so should work on almost all computers, assuming you have one

I'm on a Mac.

But I do have an iPad, so I'm good.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

DivisionPost posted:

I'm on a Mac.

But I do have an iPad, so I'm good.

It looks like it's on Mac. Which is good for me as well.
I watched someone play a bit of it, I kinda like the way it plays out.

The new game by the dudes that made Amnesia, SOMA is full of choices that make you think about your actions, but don't greatly affect the story. It's pretty neat.
The main character being an rear end in a top hat kinda ruined it for me though.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

wyoming posted:

The new game by the dudes that made Amnesia, SOMA is full of choices that make you think about your actions, but don't greatly affect the story. It's pretty neat.
The main character being an rear end in a top hat kinda ruined it for me though.

Yeah... it's unfortunate he was so whiny. I felt like they were trying to impose certain viewpoints onto the player that perhaps they may not agree with.

The anglerfish fakeout was pretty great though.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Parkingtigers posted:

Hey I found the one other guy in the world who liked Remember Me :hi5:

I still maintain that game was flawed, but brilliant, and gets far more poo poo than it deserved.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

Talorat posted:

Hey I found the one other guy in the world who liked Remember Me :hi5:

I still maintain that game was flawed, but brilliant, and gets far more poo poo than it deserved.

We exist, hidden in dark corners of the internet :unsmith:

I loved the writing, particularly the worldbuilding, but the gameplay really let it down and I'd love to know how much of it was because of the bullshit they had to go through to get the drat thing published. The levels were super linear even though they seemed like they wanted to expand, and the combat was pure rear end (I ended up using cheatengine just to complete the game because of how tedious the bullet/punch sponge enemies were). And even though I really enjoyed the story, it felt hugely truncated, like someone had walked in with some scissors and chopped giant holes into it, leaving threads dangling all over the place and leading to some of the major criticisms of the game (Some of the story threads are so undeveloped that Nilin kinda comes across as a psychopath, dicking around in people's memories and converting their beliefs without a whim). I don't think that's how they intended it to come across, but... publishing bullshit.

I hope they become super successful and publish a remastered version of it some day with balanced combat and a more complete story and world.

I don't even know what I think about a vampire game though...

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax
If I liked LiS, Walking Dead, and TWOU, should I get Telltale's GoT and Borderlands? I've never played a Borderlands game.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

im gay posted:

If I liked LiS, Walking Dead, and TWOU, should I get Telltale's GoT and Borderlands? I've never played a Borderlands game.

Borderlands is hilarious and worth the ride even if you've never spent any time in that universe before.

GoT is a hollow cash-in that might be worth picking up for 2 bucks in a sale one day maybe :smith:

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
GoT is garbage, avoid it.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

Accordion Man posted:

GoT is garbage, avoid it.

The problem with GoT is that the first episode or two starts with some good promise then it goes downhill so fast

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Ekusukariba posted:

The problem with GoT is that the first episode or two starts with some good promise then it goes downhill so fast
Agreed.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
What about the Law and Order game?

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
It cannot be stated enough how garbage GoT is.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Kurtofan posted:

I've only watched streams of it, but its surprisingly solid.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

Karnegal posted:

It cannot be stated enough how garbage GoT is.
I found the game very disappointing, but I wouldn't go this far. It's playable but quite, quite dull.

I took a punt on Tales from The Borderlands and although I'm obviously missing a lot from not playing Borderlands 1/2, I'm really enjoying it. It's still very Telltale-y, but they're actually having fun with the format, and they're not constrained by the license or by being a prequel/interquel. So yeah. Strong soundtrack so far too.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

VagueRant posted:

I took a punt on Tales from The Borderlands and although I'm obviously missing a lot from not playing Borderlands 1/2, I'm really enjoying it. It's still very Telltale-y, but they're actually having fun with the format, and they're not constrained by the license or by being a prequel/interquel. So yeah. Strong soundtrack so far too.

It's a sort of interquel, taking place between Borderlands 2 and the framing narration of Presequel and a few events will tie into both games but not in huge ways. I think what makes the whole thing work is that the player characters are basically "civilians" whereas in the main BL games you're playing badass mercenaries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Kurtofan posted:

Oh wow there's a TellTale Law & Order game?
Is Ice-T in it? :allears:

• Locked thread