Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Astrofig posted:

warning that we would have to pay back any financial aid we received.

Oh, I get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

That's probably the total number of students in all the sections for that class.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

BumikiIsFreaky posted:

Finally got the right forms to send to the IRS last week to get my wife's IRS official transcript. Now just have to check the mail every single day to get this once piece of paper to submit so that I can finally complete my FAFSA. Then just 10 business days to process my payment and I'll be set. It should be done right before finals. I am so glad that two full time people working part time making under 20K each need additional forms to ensure that yes, we are poor.

Those audits are a bitch. You say you've sent in forms proving that you're a single parent with two dependents, the state certified that you're receiving food stamps, and your tax return shows your household income is $12k annually? Yeah, we got all that, but eh, we're not convinced. Send us a video of your emaciated kids crying in front of a tree with no presents under it on Christmas morning or something.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

One 500 person lecture and 1200 people watching the recordings of it.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Random Stranger posted:

One 500 person lecture and 1200 people watching the recordings of it.

I had one of those. Well, 1200 or so people. Introduction to the philosophy of science, so all the humanities students had to take it. I went the first lecture, couldn't get into the main lecture hall, went to the second where it was streamed on a big screen and never went again. Watching it live from home saved me the travel expenses with the added bonus that, thanks to my wireless headset, I could go for a smoke, make some tea or even take a dump whenever I wanted to. Hell, if I had anything better to do that evening I'd watch it the day after.

If only all lectures could be like that. If I have a question it's either something that can be answered over email or takes too much time during the break or between classes so I make an appointment or go swe them in their office hours.

As for complaints, I don't really have any this semester. Surprising but feels good.

KoB
May 1, 2009

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

"Dad I have a 101.3% in that course, skipping because I'm hung the gently caress over once in a while isn't going to hurt me. Oh and there's also that whole 'I'M A loving ADULT' thing"

Most college students are not adults.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

KoB posted:

Most college students are not adults.

While I basically agree with your point, which probably is that college kids aren't fully mature, they are adults and infantilizing them wont make them better ones.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Jaramin posted:

While I basically agree with your point, which probably is that college kids aren't fully mature, they are adults and infantilizing them wont make them better ones.

don't worry, they don't need anyone's help in infantilizing them, they do a p. good job on their own

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Treating people like kids till they're 24 will just mean nobody grows up till they're 30.

Honestly coming from the UK it just seems bizarre how unprofessional everything is. Even the textbook-to-access-the-exam scams seem like something any genuine academic would want to ditch as fast as possible. Maybe I just got lucky :shrug:

E: I'd have been furious if it turned out my assessments had basically come bundled with the course IT + textbook system. You're paying to be taught

Strategic Tea has a new favorite as of 12:46 on Sep 29, 2015

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Update about the prof who keeps sharing documents with me on Google Drive:

I reported it to the Dean of her faculty after telling her about it twice. The Dean is glad I did and is going to get to the bottom of it, requesting I let her know after a week if the problem has been fixed. She did, however, forward my e-mail to several other people in the faculty, including the prof. I was very professional, and civil, and made no rude accusations or anything, just mentioned what was happening, and my concerns about ethical issues it could cause. But then I got an e-mail from the prof saying she wished I had to come to her about it instead of telling the Dean, especially since I was the only one this was happening to. Really snidely too, I think she's pretty pissed off. But I DID go to her, maybe not face to face, but I tried to get her to deal with it and she failed. So someone had to step in, and I was advised by other profs at the university to go to the Dean about it because it actually is a major ethics issue. So oh well, I can't let this keep happening, and I found out today that at least one other student DID get a different person's personal project sent to them a few days ago. This is a friend who happens to be taking one of this prof's classes now, and whose project from last week was sent to me.

I don't think I'm going to respond to the e-mail from the prof telling me I took the wrong course of action. I want nothing more to do with this. I don't have to take a class with her ever again, I'm never going to be in a program in that faculty no matter what happens in the future, I just want it over with and in the past.

I remember back at the beginning of the winter semester, she insisted that it was time for us students to learn Google Drive and start using it regularly, because in the Real World, no one uses Blackboard. Which is a fair statement, except she can't seem to figure out how to use it herself.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Wasn't your responsibility to nag her until she fixed the problem. I think you handled it well and you're right not to dignify her email with a response :shrug:

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Picnic Princess posted:

I don't think I'm going to respond to the e-mail from the prof telling me I took the wrong course of action.

This is the correct choice. No matter how grumpy the professor is that you did what you did, once that message to the dean was acknowledged, it ceased to be your problem. I would, however, be keeping records of all my prior correspondence with the prof, just in case she gets vindictive. I'm sure she was just lashing out because she got a stern talking-to by the dean and a bit of public shame and will calm down soon, but in case things escalate, it would be helpful to be able to show records of your communications with her. "Hope for the best, plan for the worst," you know?

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

This is the correct choice. No matter how grumpy the professor is that you did what you did, once that message to the dean was acknowledged, it ceased to be your problem. I would, however, be keeping records of all my prior correspondence with the prof, just in case she gets vindictive. I'm sure she was just lashing out because she got a stern talking-to by the dean and a bit of public shame and will calm down soon, but in case things escalate, it would be helpful to be able to show records of your communications with her. "Hope for the best, plan for the worst," you know?

I still have nearly all the documents she sent in my Drive just in case. I was deleting them at first, but then when projects started showing up I was like "Okay, this might be kind of serious and I might need to do something about it." Then the semester ended and it sort of just kept getting pushed further down my list of priorities to worry about. When I saw that a whole bunch more showed up this month, that's when I decided, okay, something is really hosed up here.

She sent me an e-mail again today, asking me to contact the IT guy that works with their faculty so that I could let him know what files I've been getting so he can investigate. Which is fair, I will do that. But did she just type in or copy/paste his e-mail into the message? Of course not. She forwarded an e-mail he sent to her. It's all so loving ridiculous now.

Hummingbirds posted:

Wasn't your responsibility to nag her until she fixed the problem. I think you handled it well and you're right not to dignify her email with a response :shrug:

I have a bad habit of getting involved in things, especially if I see it as a serious issue that needs to be dealt with. I wasn't sure about going to her superiors concerning the issue, even after another prof whom I'm friends with really wanted me to. But I guess when I saw my friend's presentation in there, it kind of turned personal in a way. It went from "this is annoying and probably bad" to "this is a major breach in confidentiality and I'm going to see that it gets fixed because I can't believe how stupid this person is".

It's kind of like how when I was on a field trip, a girl I befriended in the van on the way out had a severe allergic reaction in the field and had to be taken to a hospital in a town she'd never been to and had to spend the night away from home. I volunteered to come along just to make sure she was okay and had someone there with her, along with our prof. It's just how I am, I can't seem to help it. :shobon:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Strategic Tea posted:

Treating people like kids till they're 24 will just mean nobody grows up till they're 30.

Honestly coming from the UK it just seems bizarre how unprofessional everything is. Even the textbook-to-access-the-exam scams seem like something any genuine academic would want to ditch as fast as possible. Maybe I just got lucky :shrug:

E: I'd have been furious if it turned out my assessments had basically come bundled with the course IT + textbook system. You're paying to be taught

In America college is becoming increasingly for-profit. It's less and less about actually, you know, teaching poo poo to people and more about getting as many students in the door, getting them to spend as much as possible on college, and then not really caring if they sink or swim. I'm going to guess that the scammy stuff not happening in the UK is because somebody, somewhere is preventing it. This is, however, America where any and every chance to squeeze a dollar out of something will be pounced upon with extreme prejudice by somebody. It's profit uber alles rearing it's head again; there is money to be made in selling opportunity to people so loving right it's going to be sold for as much as possible.

I mean, what are people going to do? Not go to college?

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
There's a guy that hangs out on campus every week and yell-preaches at everyone about Jesus.

I'm torn between being aggravated at his sermons, or satisfied that he always stands in the designated smoking area so all the smelly litterers are forced to listen to him while they get their fix.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
I was just told I owe the college $2000. For this quarter. I knew tuition was expensive, but this is the only place in the area with the degree program I want, and last quarter I was going part-time and my loans/aid covered it. But apparently by adding a class for fall I'm now full-time, which raises the tuition, and even though my loans and poo poo increased too it still left me with $2000 left to pay. Of course no one told me this until it was too late to drop a class.

But I'm not so worried about that-- I can set up a payment plan, fine, whatever. What I'm worried about is that now I apparently have to choose between paying off $30,000 extra on top of my loans, and not getting my diploma until I do, or spending a minimum of eight years getting this loving degree, trapped in a city I want to get out of and racking up even more loan charges. And I have no idea what to do.

And of course I'm depressed as hell already, so this sends me into a spiral of doubt and self-loathing wherein I wonder what the point of anything is, and will I ever be out of debt, and how is it I keep trying to better myself and wind up potentially tanking my future instead? I love this program/skill and I'm actually rather good at it, so I want to continue desperately... I just don't know what my best option is.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I mean, what are people going to do? Not go to college?

Mike Rowe seems to have made it his life's mission to raise awareness in the trades. A noble quest, even if it is a bit misguided.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

In regards to colleges and universities being a business, that assessment is 100% correct. A professor of mine revealed earlier this week that he was told, almost word for word, the following: "This university is a business. School is the product, and the students are your clients." People who would normally not be equipped to go, or unwilling to go, are pressured into attending, find themselves in a position where they are told they will be unsuccessful without secondary education, only to discover halfway through that bachelor's are now some kind of minimum requirement. Believe me, I was pretty sandy when I realized this.

Luckily, I am in a department no one gives a poo poo about (History!) that is run by tenured profs who, for the most part, are on temporary contracts who are more than happy to illegally photocopy textbooks and distribute them for printing costs. Downside is I still have lower level liberal arts electives to get out of the way so I often find myself in very large classrooms filled with teenagers being forced into group work. I'm used to tiny classes and boring, dry-rear end seminars and taking out 20 books at a time and never talking to anyone.

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy

artsy fartsy posted:

There's a guy that hangs out on campus every week and yell-preaches at everyone about Jesus.

I'm torn between being aggravated at his sermons, or satisfied that he always stands in the designated smoking area so all the smelly litterers are forced to listen to him while they get their fix.

Our school has a "free speech area" that is also the quad. We get a ton of people that come down to pick fights with students. From the people that parade their children with horribly graphic abortion signs to the people that come to a college to tell women they are going to hell for seeking higher education. Just ignore them, it is the best thing you can do.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

BumikiIsFreaky posted:

people that come to a college to tell women they are going to hell for seeking higher education.

:stare: How does this work? Over here, I've seen mothers threaten their kids with hell if they don't seek higher education.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

BumikiIsFreaky posted:

Our school has a "free speech area" that is also the quad. We get a ton of people that come down to pick fights with students. From the people that parade their children with horribly graphic abortion signs to the people that come to a college to tell women they are going to hell for seeking higher education. Just ignore them, it is the best thing you can do.

I kind of wish there were some of those on my campus so I could get one of those little straw-things that let girls piss like guys, and just pee all over them.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Astrofig posted:

I kind of wish there were some of those on my campus so I could get one of those little straw-things that let girls piss like guys, and just pee all over them.

Stuff yourself then induce vomiting. Works on College Republicans, too.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

artsy fartsy posted:

The sheer quantity of god botherers on my campus was kind of surprising to me. Not that it's much of a complaint, just that I am constantly confronted with the question "What good do they think they're doing?" when they're confrontationally shouting their oversaturated message into a near monoculture that already agrees with them. I suppose that's the unknowable question behind all evangelical Christians in the United States...

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Random Stranger posted:

The sheer quantity of god botherers on my campus was kind of surprising to me. Not that it's much of a complaint, just that I am constantly confronted with the question "What good do they think they're doing?" when they're confrontationally shouting their oversaturated message into a near monoculture that already agrees with them. I suppose that's the unknowable question behind all evangelical Christians in the United States...

"Campuses are full of young sinners that need to be saved," is the general idea, I think. For them, it's a moral imperative that they at least try.

Thankfully, I didn't see much of it when I was in school. I saw more weird anti-war, vegan, and PETA protests than religious stuff. One time, though, those awful "GOD HATES FAGS" people came to "evangelize" in front of the union because the mother of a gay student who had been killed was speaking there. The counter-protest was probably five times as large, consisting of smiling faces and signs reading "GOD LOVES EVERYONE." The jerks actually lost their nerve--got back in their cars and left.

Really, though, the rest of it was friendly dudes handing out bibles once a semester and the annual "let's learn about religion" event where various religious groups set up booths and you get to wander around speaking with them if you want. Nearly everybody was super nice and didn't force a thing on anybody. Just gentle invitations to come to a bible study group if you wanted to know more or whatever. I said "nearly" because there were Scientologists there and goddrat they were annoying.

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp
Once I was told that wearing blue jeans as a woman meant I had an STD and was teen pregnant and also going to hell. That dude was fun to gently caress with because he was just so ridiculous.

Picnic Princess posted:

She sent me an e-mail again today, asking me to contact the IT guy that works with their faculty so that I could let him know what files I've been getting so he can investigate. Which is fair, I will do that. But did she just type in or copy/paste his e-mail into the message? Of course not. She forwarded an e-mail he sent to her. It's all so loving ridiculous now.

How is forwarding a relevant email to someone ridiculous? I do that poo poo all the time and so does everyone else I work with in my lab.

I mean, the rest of your situation is absolutely loving ridiculous, but this is a normal thing to do in my experience.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
Yeah most Christian or whatever other religious groups around my University campus are pretty unassuming, hell some groups actively invite and accept LGBT. I don't think I've had a GOD HATES FAGS "protest" group here ever. We have had annoying black lives matter protesters getting in the way of whatever school function before but that was the extent of it.

The Libertarians will always be the worst and most annoying group though.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Thankfully, I didn't see much of it when I was in school. I saw more weird anti-war, vegan, and PETA protests than religious stuff. One time, though, those awful "GOD HATES FAGS" people came to "evangelize" in front of the union because the mother of a gay student who had been killed was speaking there. The counter-protest was probably five times as large, consisting of smiling faces and signs reading "GOD LOVES EVERYONE." The jerks actually lost their nerve--got back in their cars and left.

gently caress these people forever. They showed up at my university at some point so some of my friends went over there dressed in rainbow colors to bomb their protest (I'm never sure exactly what they think they're protesting but I'm glad there's people who are willing to gently caress with them). If you google "westboro baptist church counter protest" there's actually a huge number of photos of people loving with them and it's amazing.

Random Stranger posted:

They don't really see it as a monoculture, in fact a lot of them seriously see their religion as being "under attack" (because those filthy gays are now getting legally-recognized basic human rights) so they think they need to scream at a generation that is leaving them behind, because clearly that will help.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.

Gestalt Intellect posted:

gently caress these people forever. They showed up at my university at some point so some of my friends went over there dressed in rainbow colors to bomb their protest (I'm never sure exactly what they think they're protesting but I'm glad there's people who are willing to gently caress with them). If you google "westboro baptist church counter protest" there's actually a huge number of photos of people loving with them and it's amazing.

Someone filmed a porn on the church's front lawn.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
please tell me it was a gay porn. or transgender-on-gay porn.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

This is a complaint about post graduation, but I finished my Master's in August and I never received my degree. I contacted the registrar and now they tell me I have to pay to get a new one. It's a small amount of money, but it's really stupid I need to pay it in the first place.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Skinny King Pimp posted:

Once I was told that wearing blue jeans as a woman meant I had an STD and was teen pregnant and also going to hell. That dude was fun to gently caress with because he was just so ridiculous.

How is forwarding a relevant email to someone ridiculous? I do that poo poo all the time and so does everyone else I work with in my lab.

I mean, the rest of your situation is absolutely loving ridiculous, but this is a normal thing to do in my experience.

I wasn't supposed to see it, it was a discussion they had between themselves. Nothing incriminating, but a prof with a serious problem with over sharing just can't seem to stop sharing poo poo with me. It was hilarious, actually.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
I'm in my senior project course with a few kids in my major (Media and Information Tech) and kids in Computer Science. Obviously, CS kids know the back end better and I'm really good with the front-end.

So when we pitched our initial idea to the rest of the class, I presented my idea for a dictionary app (which is just gonna be a knock-off urban dictionary). All the students are given a sheet to fill out in which we rate the presenter in categories like the presentation, background knowledge, project difficulty, how well questions are fielded, etc. on a scale of 1 to 5. I got my results back and all the kids in the class gave me 1s and 2s. One kid even gave me zero for one of the categories.

I was freaking out, so I showed the results to my project advisor, and he said, "yeah. I wouldn't be worried. CS kids are dicks, and don't understand that design is really important."

So, now I'm looking forward to the rest of this semester

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy
I got told both bad and good news today, the bad news is that last adviser was using old course program information for my minor. I am so glad that I took two summer classes and 16 hours this semester under the impression I could graduate in the spring. This is making me have to take an extra semester because they added two classes that are fall only, two years ago. The good news is that my GI bill will let you take extra classes on your graduating semester so that you can be full time and I couldn't take my advanced diving next semester anyway because of conflicts with my capstone. Also, I took the information that my foreign language requirement from my high school transcript finally coming through as good news. Third try, ten dollars per transcript.

Oh, I finally got my wife's tax transcripts in the mail so could complete my financial aid for the semester. It should be available to accept is only two weeks since they are in a slow period.

Insult Comic Barbie
Apr 21, 2010

Mr E posted:

This is a complaint about post graduation, but I finished my Master's in August and I never received my degree. I contacted the registrar and now they tell me I have to pay to get a new one. It's a small amount of money, but it's really stupid I need to pay it in the first place.

That happened to me too, with my law degree. Except they wanted a hundred and fifty bucks. It took a month of emails and eventually emailing the head of alumni affairs ("My family and I are never donating to the university ever!") to get it, and even after they waived the cost of the degree I had to pay for shipping.

Edit: not that I could ever donate to the university, even if I wanted to, because student loans and also gently caress that place. :sigh:

Insult Comic Barbie has a new favorite as of 12:59 on Oct 6, 2015

gentle pete
Feb 21, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
There's a guy in my class who takes all his notes on a laptop. Except, he connects a mechanical keyboard to it and uses that to type. :psyduck: It's loud as gently caress and incredibly annoying when you're trying to listen to the professor. It's not a cheapo keyboard from walmart, either, it looks like one of those specialty nerd things that cost hundreds of dollars. He also brings up stuff like tungo at inappropriate times during class. Wow, we are all so impressed by your knowledge. :rolleyes:

InEscape
Nov 10, 2006

stuck.

gentle pete posted:

There's a guy in my class who takes all his notes on a laptop. Except, he connects a mechanical keyboard to it and uses that to type. :psyduck: It's loud as gently caress and incredibly annoying when you're trying to listen to the professor. It's not a cheapo keyboard from walmart, either, it looks like one of those specialty nerd things that cost hundreds of dollars. He also brings up stuff like tungo at inappropriate times during class. Wow, we are all so impressed by your knowledge. :rolleyes:

Send this human a polite email telling him that the mechanical clacking is distracting. If he pushes back offer to buy him a cheapo 10 dollar quiet one.

Or steal his great keyboard and receive a free keyboard. Your call.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

InEscape posted:

Send this human a polite email telling him that the mechanical clacking is distracting. If he pushes back offer to buy him a cheapo 10 dollar quiet one.

Or steal his great keyboard and receive a free keyboard. Your call.

You know the kind of person who would buy a mechanical keyboard and bring it to class is an insufferable douchebag neckbeard and he will insist that he can't type on anything else. I'm sure his problem with the laptop's keyboard is what 90% of people who "can't type on a laptop"'s problem is: they don't bother to learn to loving lift their wrists so they're not brushing the touchpad all the time.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
Or it never happened

His gimmick is making poo poo up and dropping made-up words into posts so people ask about them

gentle pete what is this "tungo" thing that is seemingly ordinary that everyone who's smart already knows about, I won't be able to live another day until you explain it, please tell me what tungo is

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Google says it's a type of kangaroo. I still feel like I'm missing something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

taiyoko posted:

You know the kind of person who would buy a mechanical keyboard and bring it to class is an insufferable douchebag neckbeard and he will insist that he can't type on anything else. I'm sure his problem with the laptop's keyboard is what 90% of people who "can't type on a laptop"'s problem is: they don't bother to learn to loving lift their wrists so they're not brushing the touchpad all the time.

The solution to not lifting your wrists, is t turn off the blooy touchpad, and buy a wireless mouse. There we go, I don't have to learn a different way to type, and I get another excuse to use a wireless mouse.

Touchpads are loving poo poo anyways.

Getting back on topic, stop reading your cellphones when you're walking around Campus kids, you'll end up walking into a pond or crashing into a wall.

• Locked thread