Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Adolescent Morty Jr running away from home and yelling "God doesn't exist!" made me laugh pretty drat hard. How can anyone think that was a boring episode?

Also you jaded motherfuckers, Interdimensional Cable II was pretty funny. Maybe it's the worst episode of the season but it's still a good episode and I wouldn't mind if they did an improv episode every season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

I even love Lawnmower Dog, despite South Park. Rick and Morty did some fun things with the idea. Gazorpazorp did nothing fun.

Gazorpazorp was a pretty bad episode but it did have that moment when Rick is rooting around in the robot and "nearly touched one of Morty's loads." Which made me laugh but if nothing else is fascinating for having gotten past S&P.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I guess it did do some good things,. I just hate that episode as much as this thread hates Cable II.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

I still use "I'm here if you need to talk" a lot. Also, the death by boulder gag gets me every time.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
"It's just...it's just called Two Brothers! :roflolmao:" is pure television magic no matter how many times I watch it.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

I would also nominate Rick diving through nothingness to grab the collar thing for one of my favourite jokes. "gently caress you, God! Not today, bitch!"

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Raising Gazopazorp is the only episode I'd say I don't like in the series so far. It just seemed like a hackneyed premise that didn't have enough of a twist or anything to it to make it great. I did like the whole Zardoz part of it and Morty's parents making GBS threads all over his parenting attempts, but overall I didn't like it much.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Doofus Rick is by far my favorite bit-part character, because he is actually smart and sweet. I love the part where he's explaining the coins to Jerry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SB_oU68Q9zA

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
If Doofus Rick weren't embroiled in the Council of Rick's Rickery, he could be the best children's science show host ever.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Jonas Albrecht posted:

If Doofus Rick weren't embroiled in the Council of Rick's Rickery, he could be the best children's science show host ever.

Until the inevitable scandal over his poo poo-eating.

I mean, he literally eats poo poo, dude.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
What's your favorite episode in the show's run thus far, and why?
A Rickle in Time. Might not have been the funniest episode, but the idea behind it was super cool. The way it was visually realised was also stunning.

Who's your favorite side character?
Fart. Basically because of the song.

Do you have a favorite joke/gag/line from the show?
How Did I Get Here? in Interdimensional Cable 2.
I'm also partial to the planet on a cob.

What's your least favorite episode, and what could have been done to redeem it in your eyes?
Raising Gazorpazorp. Simply because it has left the least impression on me.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy

Lt. Danger posted:

Until the inevitable scandal over his poo poo-eating.

I mean, he literally eats poo poo, dude.

Eh, they'll just give him a court order that says he can't eat poo poo anymore.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

He's not Doofus Rick! He's Rick XJZ19!

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Tuxedo Jack posted:

I mean, just at a cursory glance, there appears to be a lot of parity between favorites and least favorites. Many episodes have appeared on both ends of the spectrum from different users. I think that's pretty cool.

Yeah, but there seems to be a decent majority opinion forming. Really all the episodes are good, "least favorite" doesn't necessarily mean bad, the worst Rick and Morty episode beats the best episode of a lot of lesser shows, so it's really hard to pick and peoples' slightly differing opinions can cause their choices to vary wildly.

Steve Yun posted:

Also you jaded motherfuckers, Interdimensional Cable II was pretty funny. Maybe it's the worst episode of the season but it's still a good episode and I wouldn't mind if they did an improv episode every season.

Just said it, and some people are outright saying they straight up hate it, but least favorite doesn't automatically mean we hate the episode. Get Schwifty was my least favorite episode but I don't hate it, it's just the red headed step child.

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!
One of my favorite lines was "To me it was all a bit like when Bugs Bunny fucks with the Opera singer for 20 minutes" I can't explain why. Maybe because it just really describes Rick really well?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Mace Bacon posted:

One of my favorite lines was "To me it was all a bit like when Bugs Bunny fucks with the Opera singer for 20 minutes" I can't explain why. Maybe because it just really describes Rick really well?

My favorite scene comes a little bit after that line:

Summer leaves and Rick suddenly decides he doesn't care about running a business anymore, so he sets the place on fire with people still inside. It sounds cruel when it's written out like that, but he does it in such an apathetic way that it's hilarious.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Just saw the finale. Ughhhhh. Maybe I'm alone here but for me every time the show tries to do an emotional or dark ending or anything of the sort to do with Rick it's been groan-inducingly terrible. This is a show with such a silly world with such loving rear end in a top hat protagonist that I feel it's impossible to do, especially how quickly they always try to do it. I can feel the show failing to manipulate me and it suuuuucks

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Calico Heart posted:

Just saw the finale. Ughhhhh. Maybe I'm alone here but for me every time the show tries to do an emotional or dark ending or anything of the sort to do with Rick it's been groan-inducingly terrible. This is a show with such a silly world with such loving rear end in a top hat protagonist that I feel it's impossible to do, especially how quickly they always try to do it. I can feel the show failing to manipulate me and it suuuuucks

I think the emotional endings are more intended as a parody of actual emotionally manipulative shows, rather than to be emotionally manipulative themselves.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Applewhite posted:

I think the emotional endings are more intended as a parody of actual emotionally manipulative shows, rather than to be emotionally manipulative themselves.

Saw R&M finale after The Strain finale and this fits too well.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Renewed for a third season.

http://deadline.com/2015/08/rick-and-morty-renewed-season-3-adult-swim-dan-harmon-justin-roiland-1201497834/

gently caress yes

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

That's from August

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Deki posted:

Hell, Morty killed a customs agent .
lol oh yea

Ohtsam posted:

I wonder if the council of ricks are going to bust Rick out of jail causing a huge war between the council and the galactic government that will kick them off earth but will be happening in the background from now on.
That would make for a nice season.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

a cop posted:

That's from August

Sorry I'm late...

Please blame

https://www.facebook.com/RickandMorty?fref=ts

for appearing in my feed.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Maybe Morty can negotiate with the Council of Ricks to use his "replacement Morty" coupon to get a replacement Rick.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

a cop posted:

That's from August

Yeah, they cancelled it since then

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(

Applewhite posted:

What makes you say that? It seemed played perfectly straight to me.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Some folks don't handle complexity well. If a show's wacky and funny, then it should only be wacky and funny, how dare they try to do something interesting with the characters or reveal character or show growth!

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Baltazar Robotnik posted:

What makes you say that? It seemed played perfectly straight to me.

I think almost everything played on adult swim always has some layer of "the joke is that we're even airing this at all", so stuff such as "a supposed comedy show having a serious emotional finale, that's unlike most television" can be a joke in itself.

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
A friend made me start watching Battlestar Galactica for the first time, and we finished season 1 a day before this episode. Seeing and hearing Tammy's parents felt like a total mindfuck. :psylon:

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

oral Orel.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Meta-Mollusk posted:

A friend made me start watching Battlestar Galactica for the first time, and we finished season 1 a day before this episode. Seeing and hearing Tammy's parents felt like a total mindfuck. :psylon:

Do yourself a favor and stop watching the series after "Revelations" in season 4.

e: or Fat Adama

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

a shameful boehner posted:

Do yourself a favor and stop watching the series after "Revelations" in season 4.

e: or Fat Adama

I've heard some bad stuff about the last season, but might as well see it all I guess. I did skip season 4 of Community thanks to goon opinions though. :v:

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

CelticPredator posted:

I will say gently caress Dan Harmon on one thing, and that;'s Gazorpazop for having a boring rear end plot.

I even love Lawnmower Dog, despite South Park. Rick and Morty did some fun things with the idea. Gazorpazorp did nothing fun.

Gazorpazorp was great right up until the sex robot got impregnated. If it had kept it at that level of crazy the whole way through, it would have been the best episode of the series.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Every epsiode of rick and morty is amazing and charming and I love them all and am so happy they exist.

You picky mother fuckers.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Some folks don't handle complexity well. If a show's wacky and funny, then it should only be wacky and funny, how dare they try to do something interesting with the characters or reveal character or show growth!

No, don't get all smug. Endings like this and Rick attempting suicide don't land with everyone because they're kind of tacked on, a last second change of tone preceded by 20 minutes of wacky comedy. I'm not saying it was terrible, but it does come across as a bit manipulative. A proper drama would spend at least the whole episode building up to that ending.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

No, don't get all smug. Endings like this and Rick attempting suicide don't land with everyone because they're kind of tacked on, a last second change of tone preceded by 20 minutes of wacky comedy. I'm not saying it was terrible, but it does come across as a bit manipulative. A proper drama would spend at least the whole episode building up to that ending.

But they did build up to it?

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

...which is basically what happened. Rick spends the entire episode getting back with Unity and is eventually dumped by it. The buildup is Rick's clear attachment to it and Unity's realization that Rick is toxic to its existence. Rick gets dumped with a note and covers up his true feelings in front of his family, despite being internally devastated and as we see in the close, suicidal. I'm not sure where manipulative comes into play.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

They're not tacked on or a drastic change in tone though. The show has always dealt with darker concepts.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

VendaGoat posted:

Sorry I'm late...

Please blame

https://www.facebook.com/RickandMorty?fref=ts

for appearing in my feed.

you're not THAT late; I just realized Summer is voiced by Kelsey Grammer(Frasier)'s daughter

:blush:

Excelzior fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Oct 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
This wacky high concept sci-fi comedy is attempting to examine its characters on a personal level and give them some emotional depth in order to keep the show from becoming stale, and that upsets people who never want the show to acknowledge that the nihilistic alcoholic that makes them laugh is actually a very sad individual.

• Locked thread