Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Probably about as bad as any other hate filled nerd who never leaves their house, and makes it a part-time job to harass people online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Improbable Lobster posted:

For some reason I think they're probably not as bad as neo-nazis are

Well, you have the upside that Communists don't have arbitrary destruction of entire ethnic groups as one of the selling points.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
Well, Stalinists have the arbitrary destruction of pretty much everyone, so :V

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I've honestly wanted to buy a bunch of Elysian Drop Troops and paint them as WW2 Paratroopers because I think those colours would fit those models really well. Same with maybe painting a few Cadian's like US GI's or Marines, and I have looked into how to paint modern ACU's as well just to see if it could be done.

But create a fully themed army using those paint schemes? I can't say I've ever really had that idea in my head. Mostly because of the cost and that playing 40k doesn't really interest me that much any more.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
So if that giant Tau walker is open-topped does that mean flame weapons wreck its poo poo? Or is this an instance of "what you see isn't what you get?"

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Decorus posted:

Also for the record, I wasn't trying to claim that the US Marines were as bad as Nazis or anything. My point was that writing US MARINES on your Leman Russes is pretty stupid too.

Absolutely, plus, with context, it's not so crazy to make that case.

On the one hand, regimes and soldiers are not the same. So not every german soldier was some ideological racist and evil belligerent. If you want to get really perverse about it, if you take a late-war german soldier, you know, the guy who was a teenager when Barbarossa kicked off, who was facing a wall of angry-like-you-can't-even-loving-imagine Russians, who were pressing into toward Berlin, that guy is pretty heroic. After all, he doesn't have time for murdering prisoners and jews by the 1000s, he's too busy actually trying to protect his people.

You look at US Marines, and there's a proud and good history there, but it's not perfect. The Phillipines in 1899-1902 was not a just war that worked out great. We committed every lovely act there was because the war became part of an ugly anti-guerilla struggle. The Vietnamese aren't crazy about us, either. I think it's to the credit of our *regime* that Mi Lai was considered a crime. But, unfortunately, it was pulling teeth to hold people accountable even for that, so it's an extremely unwelcome dose of reality, depending on where your head's at.

Plus I find the Time + tragedy = derp thing incredibly irritating. Nobody is giving anyone poo poo for the Inquisitors that are written into the fabric of the 40k background, even though I'd make the argument that an 'Inquisitor' is exactly as evil as a nazi. Maybe perversely more evil since shooting/gassing is more humane than torturing someone to death or burning them alive.

And nobody bats an eye at the British looking IG guys, with those hats and coats. I don't think Africans, Indians, and Chinese are real crazy about their interactions with people wearing that uniform, but nobody cares, because we just don't know any better.

SRM posted:

Yeah, I think that sums up what I was trying to say much better than I did. Like how the Imperials in Star Wars have enough Nazi-esque design elements and iconography to make you "get" that they're bad dudes without going full totenkopf.

You mean other than how all the soldiers wear skull helmets and their logo is a Hagal rune?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS-Ehrenring#Design

Though, kudos to Lucas for being a little clever about it.

Anyway, IMO, agreed that bringing in the color and some aesthetic elements without the specific symbols is best for all kinds of reasons. Real war sucks. Playtime war should respect a certain abstract distance IMO.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Thanks to the very striated dry brushing, this looks like it's made out of some kind of pink wood.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Terrible Opinions posted:

I live in the middle of nowhere so almost all of my games are through Vassal with friends who live in San Francisco. So yeah no outside required. San Fran may be giving me a biased view of wargaming, but their group has a staggering number of anime obsessed Stalin apologists.

I'm going to say that's some weird artifact of vassal then. Anime+Stalin is just a :psyduck: combo, anyway, anime is obsessed with the axis.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Please stop effort posting about how heroic the nazis were in the bad mini thread.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

I don't see what's wrong here, just a rad as gently caress Rogue Trader era Chaos Marine with a Nurgling buddy.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

SRM posted:

I don't see what's wrong here, just a rad as gently caress Rogue Trader era Chaos Marine with a Nurgling buddy.

I love the mini but

Magnus Praeda posted:

Thanks to the very striated dry brushing, this looks like it's made out of some kind of pink wood.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Please stop effort posting about how heroic the nazis were in the bad mini thread.

What the hell happened here? There's some griffon and assault cannons and I think a Dark Eldar tank or something perished in there, too.

...is this WIP from GW sculptor table?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

I love the mini but

I like it because of that. He's not just painted his armour, he's veneered it.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

JcDent posted:

What the hell happened here? There's some griffon and assault cannons and I think a Dark Eldar tank or something perished in there, too.

...is this WIP from GW sculptor table?

Scratch built Forgefiend, only $50 on ebay

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

spectralent posted:

I mean, your place, you probably have a better idea of what the local meta's like, but around here any wargamer rant about the soviets is always about how they're stupid hordes of conscript infantry with no experience and one brain between them, without enough guns and with vehicles that fall apart in a stiff breeze even if the actual stats are pretty good because everyone knows they couldn't really assemble tanks that good in a factory*.

I once had a man say, after explaining his Soviet themed army "I've been told that in Russian there's no word for maintenance"

Imagine my surprise, being a native speaker

Esser-Z posted:

A giant robot that's weak to rain! Also, that has to be hell on the pilots' ears.

Lockheed Martin- Tau's new robot contractor

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

BULBASAUR posted:

I once had a man say, after explaining his Soviet themed army "I've been told that in Russian there's no word for maintenance"

Well that's okay because soviet tanks weren't capable of surviving battles and if any of them did make it then inevitably they fell apart before the next one* and furthermore

*You do have to wonder how this belief squares with the fact that there's still thousands hundreds of T-34s, many in working order, around today. And basically every AFV the soviets made during WW2, come to that.

spectralent fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Oct 7, 2015

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
To be fair, they made a lot of T-34s over the years.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

BULBASAUR posted:

Imagine my surprise, being a native speaker

I can't. There's no english word for surprise.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

goatface posted:

To be fair, they made a lot of T-34s over the years.

Yeah, but it's never "T-34s had some reliability issues". It's blind repetition of propoganda on the same margins as 40k's "Tyranid guns are made of skin and often fall apart". Listen to a wehraboo and you'd get the impression that a T-34 was lucky if it made it off the factory line intact and spontaneously collapsed at some point over the next week.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
Anybody makes fun of Tyranids around me, and I'll kick their rear end.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

spectralent posted:

Yeah, but it's never "T-34s had some reliability issues". It's blind repetition of propoganda on the same margins as 40k's "Tyranid guns are made of skin and often fall apart". Listen to a wehraboo and you'd get the impression that a T-34 was lucky if it made it off the factory line intact and spontaneously collapsed at some point over the next week.

The only thing the T-34 had wrong with it was that the gearstick was harder to shift than the smell in a hobby shop. Other than that it was a drat near perfect piece of machinery.

Edit: It had two things wrong with it. The other was that it wasn't a KV-2. I loving love the KV-2.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Having seen both in person I remember the KV-2 distinctly because it was so massive. Almost as big as the Panzer VIII Maus and T-35 next to it. The T-35 looks the craziest in person though.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

The only thing the T-34 had wrong with it was that the gearstick was harder to shift than the smell in a hobby shop. Other than that it was a drat near perfect piece of machinery.

Edit: It had two things wrong with it. The other was that it wasn't a KV-2. I loving love the KV-2.

Early T-34s (1941 and some 1942) did have reported reliability issues, largely with track breakdown and the engine filter; in the defence of these tanks, they were made while they were being invaded and I expect in that situation, QC evaporates (notably there were engagements during Barbarossa where early T-34s never fired a shot... Because they had no cannon shells delivered when they were attacked). Later T-34s were solid and dependable bits of kit, yeah.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

BULBASAUR posted:

Having seen both in person I remember the KV-2 distinctly because it was so massive. Almost as big as the Panzer VIII Maus and T-35 next to it. The T-35 looks the craziest in person though.

Tank big, so what

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Canyon is grand, so what

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:

I see a beak, a tail, chains guns, tentacles, and some sort of curtain with mold on it. What am I looking at exactly? This is very interesting.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Blastoise

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

spectralent posted:

I'm going to say that's some weird artifact of vassal then. Anime+Stalin is just a :psyduck: combo, anyway, anime is obsessed with the axis.

Weirdly, one of my old friend is a supporter of Russia and hates Japan because there is some racism against Russia in Japan. Hates Stalin too, I think, because he constantly makes facebook posts equating killings in Russia during WWII to killings of Jews. He also told his parents he was ethnicity Jewish; his parents aren't Jewish.

He played Imperial Guard tank company using cheap Chinese knockoff T-35s. Probably bought the entire army for the same cost as 2 normal leman russes.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
I once painted a t-34 in ultramarine colors because I realized how much cheaper it was than trying to use GW tanks.

I felt bad for it, though. So I never did it again.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

I really wish that I lived where you do, in a nation apparently devoid of anime marxists. What magical land is devoid of nerd soviet apologists?

The land of people with jobs not in IT?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

bunnielab posted:

The land of people with jobs not in IT?

I thought IT was all misoginy and libertarianism (ew).

Or is it just IT startups, and everyone else (tech support drones and such) are waiting for the day when proletarian masses cast off their shackles and choke IT-illiterate bourgeoisie?

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009
Maybe he lives in a strange place where all the horrible misogynists and Libertarians have been replaced by anime Marxists with goatees.

It's the only solution I can think off.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

No the misogynists and libertarians are at my job and on rpg forums.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

No the misogynists and libertarians are at my job and on rpg forums.

You say that like one isn't a subset of the other.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

hooman posted:

You say that like one isn't a subset of the other.

I'm sure you could find a female libertarian... somewhere.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

JcDent posted:

Or is it just IT startups, and everyone else (tech support drones and such) are waiting for the day when proletarian masses cast off their shackles and choke IT-illiterate bourgeoisie?

I know two people who do corporate IT and their departments fit the latter mould.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

JcDent posted:

I take it you read slashdot? It went from a site about technology and science to a site where the nerds jump over themselves to post "SJW" unironically in articles about women in IT. Don't get me started on their political views...

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Not sure why they have giant turds on their shoulders :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

JcDent posted:

I'm sure you could find a female libertarian... somewhere.

I met one once. It was a struggle to not just scream at her that if her ideals were taken to their logical limit she'd quickly be dead or worse, being an out of shape, medication dependent, unattractive person with no assets or real skills. Basically the only difference between her and other libertarians I've met was gender.