Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
Down with Webster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Riosan posted:

Some of these people have never read the Bible, have they? Last time I checked, Jesus didn't exactly kick rear end, take names and threaten people at gunpoint. I guess nobody told them he was a brown Jew living in the Middle East.

Jesus was pure so he was white. God made darker people as punishment for their sins.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

alpha_destroy posted:

Ummm... Your map is flawed because it doesn't adequately show how Chicago is a hell-scape of violent gun deaths due to gun control. Idiot.

It is correct in showing that Johnson County Kansas is more of a hell-scape of violent gun deaths than the hell-scape of brown people that is Jackson County Missouri!

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Riosan posted:

Some of these people have never read the Bible, have they? Last time I checked, Jesus didn't exactly kick rear end, take names and threaten people at gunpoint. I guess nobody told them he was a brown Jew living in the Middle East.

Who was so pacifistic that he forbid his followers from even defending themselves

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

The Iron Rose posted:

called it.

I'd rather a politician who weighs each individual issue on their merits, rather than on blind ideological opposition to free trade and capitalism.

If NAFTA was really about freedom it would make the Canadian and Mexican borders no different than interstate borders for individuals.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

DemeaninDemon posted:

Jesus was pure so he was white. God made darker people as punishment for their sins.

You joke, but this is literally what a ton of preachers will tell you the punishment for Cain was since it was made popular in the 1800's and lasted up until about 70-80 years ago.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

A Winner is Jew posted:

You joke, but this is literally what a ton of preachers will tell you the punishment for Cain was since it was made popular in the 1800's and lasted up until about 70-80 years ago.

I'm not joking though. See: Mormons.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
That's why there's all those lines in the Bible of people asking Jesus why he's so white.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

A Winner is Jew posted:

I thought that was the Curse of Ham.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Dead Reckoning posted:

They're not shaking Toyota down. That whole unit in the Treasury department exists to investigate how terrorist groups fund and supply themselves, and since there isn't a new Japanese car dealership in Raqqa these days, they're asking Toyota to help them figure out how the trucks got from the factory to ISIS territory, like tracing a gun used in a crime.

Uh, they kind of took over a couple decently-sized cities and steamrolled a bunch of other militia groups a while back. The answer is that the Mideast isn't some stone-age hellhole and even IS knows that pickup trucks are going to be more useful than sedans for their war rig needs. If someone is shipping cars in and selling them to ISIS then they have FinCEN to investigate the financial trail so they don't need to ask a loving manufacturer what happened to a vehicle after they sent it to a dealer. Granted, Toyota doesn't make guns so expecting some kind of documentation after release to dealers is somewhat reasonable but I'm gonna call it now and say that any cars they're having shipped in are being bought by straw buyers who are slipping through financial intelligence nets in the countries they inhabit. They ought to be asking the individual dealers and banks for their books.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I thought that was the Curse of Ham.

No, that's the curse he gave to the upper class Brits.

DCFADP

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

I almost wish I owned a gun shop so that I could run a competing promotion where I gave discounts to non-Christians only.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

The map you're talking about is gun deaths per 100K population, not total deaths.

OH didn't see that.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

alpha_destroy posted:

Ummm... Your map is flawed because it doesn't adequately show how Chicago is a hell-scape of violent gun deaths due to gun control. Idiot.

It does show how much of a hellscape Gary Indiana is, the city that even people in Chicago view as hellish and avoid.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Talmonis posted:

By all means, regale us with your tales of prosperity brought forth by free trade with countries who have no labor standards.

Which is a good reason to support a treaty that would force them to comply with labor standards or face sanctions.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Trabisnikof posted:

Which is a good reason to support a treaty that would force them to comply with labor standards or face sanctions.

Which supposedly TPP does and NAFTA never did.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Alter Ego posted:

I almost wish I owned a gun shop so that I could run a competing promotion where I gave discounts to non-Christians only.

Not only that, but the publicity from victimized conservatives on Facebook and Freep would bring you instant notoriety!

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Alter Ego posted:

I'd buy a gun from a dude who did that. Minority discounts and free range time coupons?

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

The Iron Rose posted:

called it.

I'd rather a politician who weighs each individual issue on their merits, rather than on blind ideological opposition to free trade and capitalism.

drat it owns how hilary supporters have made being principled an attack

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

DemeaninDemon posted:

I'd buy a gun from a dude who did that. Minority discounts and free range time coupons?

:tinfoil: GUN STORE MADRASSAS?!! :tinfoil:

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Lessail posted:

drat it owns how hilary supporters have made being principled an attack

Blind faith to an ideal isn't a very good trait though.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Captain_Maclaine posted:

:tinfoil: GUN STORE MADRASSAS?!! :tinfoil:

It'd be hilarious because it'd be the Baphomet thing all over again. They'd be forced to admit that it's not about persecution but rather about making it so that Christianity is the only religion recognized anywhere.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Gravel Gravy posted:

Blind faith to an ideal isn't a very good trait though.

and that person isn't really talking about that :ssh:

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Lessail posted:

and that person isn't really talking about that :ssh:

The Iron Rose posted:

Care to elaborate?

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Alter Ego posted:

It'd be hilarious because it'd be the Baphomet thing all over again. They'd be forced to admit that it's not about persecution but rather about making it so that Christianity is the only religion recognized anywhere.

In my area, I'd be afraid for my safety and would expect harassment of myself and my family.

Also the death of the business.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Kafka Esq. posted:

Down with Webster.

What chu talkin' 'bout, Willis?

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Riosan posted:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Like Jesus said: Shoot the other cheek.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Because Bernie Sanders views on capitalism and income inequality are matters of faith and there haven't been any respectable people or studies that indicate his positions might be a societal good. :jerkbag:

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Alter Ego posted:

Oh, we've already passed that point.

The owner originally made his declaration against the backdrop of a Confederate battle flag, because of course he did.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

fknlo posted:

Map of gun deaths from 2004-2010

So this is how red states got their name?

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Uh, I live(ed) in one of the county's that's red and I don't think there's been 16.4 gun deaths there in the last 50 years, let alone last decade.

Here's a more helpful version of that:

alpha_destroy posted:

Hell yeah, gotta lump homicide and suicide together in order to get that convenient looking map.

Hey, lets do all suicides:

Looks like virtually the same map.

Firearm suicides:

Non-firearm suicides:

Looks like firearms the preferred method of suicide in the midwest and south.

Now let's look at firearm homicides:

Oooh, inconvenient. Suddenly Cook County, California, NYC, and the DC-Maryland-Virgina region don't look so nice and blue. "Concealed carry without a license" Vermont looking good though.

You can play with the CDC mapping tools at https://wisqars.cdc.gov:8443/cdcMapFramework/mapModuleInterface.jsp, but they're going to tell you the same thing: most firearm deaths are suicides, and firearm homicides are not correlated to strict or lax gun laws.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Oct 7, 2015

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Dead Reckoning posted:

Hell yeah, gotta lump homicide and suicide together in order to get that convenient looking map.

Firearm suicides:

Non-firearm suicides:

Oooh, inconvenient. Suddenly Cook County, California and the DC-Maryland-Virgina region don't look so nice and blue. "Concealed carry without a license" Vermont looking good though.

You can play with the CDC mapping tools at https://wisqars.cdc.gov:8443/cdcMapFramework/mapModuleInterface.jsp, but they're going to tell you the same thing: most firearm deaths are suicides, and firearm homicides are not correlated to strict or lax gun laws.

Wow, look at how misleading those categories are.

The top category changes from 3-99 to 17-99.

So you could turn California red in the last map and it could be blue if you used the scale on the first map.

Oooh, inconvenient.

If you want to make a point, compare the numbers not the colors, hth.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Why is the data only up through 2010?

I can't remember Anymore but I feel like there were less mass shootings 5 years past.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

RuanGacho posted:

Why is the data only up through 2010?

I can't remember Anymore but I feel like there were less mass shootings 5 years past.

Pretty sure Congress' response to all the gun violence was to block the CDC from studying it anymore

Basically, if something comes out that the NRA complains about then Congress slashes the CDC's budget by however much it spent researching it

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Dead Reckoning posted:

Firearm suicides are and suicide rates drop as firearm suicide rates drop because other methods are less efficacious, which is why gun control is properly a matter of public health and why the CDC was studying it but...

Epic High Five posted:

Pretty sure Congress' response to all the gun violence was to block the CDC from studying it anymore

yep, and that ban was renewed this year

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Trabisnikof posted:

Wow, look at how misleading those categories are.
The top category changes from 3-99 to 17-99.
So you could turn California red in the last map and it could be blue if you used the scale on the first map.
Oooh, inconvenient.
If you want to make a point, compare the numbers not the colors, hth.
The app automatically changes the scaling to account for the fact the per capita homicide rate is much lower than per capita suicide rate.

The point is the contrast. If you look at that "Gun Deaths" map earlier, it's basically a map of the regions of the country where firearms are the preferred method of suicide. Suicide and homicide are driven by different causes, and most gun control proposals do little to address the former.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Riosan posted:

People forget the 'if you don't have a sword buy one' line was followed almost right away with 'oh woah ok three of you have swords, that's cool, I'm just doing this so we seem dangerous'.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Dead Reckoning posted:

Firearm suicides:

Non-firearm suicides:

Oooh, inconvenient. Suddenly Cook County, California, NYC, and the DC-Maryland-Virgina region don't look so nice and blue. "Concealed carry without a license" Vermont looking good though.

This story is literally just coming out now and is related:

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/oct/06/suicide-by-cop-the-counted

quote:

Disagreement also prevails over whether officially certifying any of these cases as suicides is appropriate. “It can be highly controversial,” Karen Gunson, Oregon’s chief medical examiner, said in an interview.

The National Association of Medical Examiners (NAME) advises against classifying a death caused by another person’s gunfire as a suicide. It defines suicide as “an intentional, self-inflicted act committed to do self-harm or cause the death of one’s self”. A homicide is “a volitional act committed by another person”.

I doubt it has much effect on numbers, but there's some good reading in there about how some lazier cops will actually pressure MEs to report gun deaths as suicides.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Epic High Five posted:

Basically, if something comes out that the NRA complains about then Congress slashes the CDC's budget by however much it spent researching it

UberJew posted:

Firearm suicides are and suicide rates drop as firearm suicide rates drop because other methods are less efficacious, which is why gun control is properly a matter of public health and why the CDC was studying it but...

quote:

yep, and that ban was renewed this year

That isn't true. The language in the 1996 Omnibus Consolidated Appropriations Bill that "banned gun research" was: "...none of the funds made available for injury prevention and control at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention may be used to advocate or promote gun control." There is no ban on research, just on advocacy, because that's what a few CDC researchers were engaged in at the time. The CDC still collects data on and researches gun violence, which is how we get those charts.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Oct 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Let's not pretend like suicide by gun isn't orders of magnitude more lethal than other method. If your suicide attempt is a cry for help, but you use a gun, you ain't getting help.

• Locked thread