Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Mind_Taker posted:

Where is the best place to get a trailer hitch installed (class I for a bike rack)? I looked at U-Haul and the internet is telling me they mostly do a good job and their price is better than a dealership, but I wasn't sure if there was a better option (other than DIY which I am not interested in doing).

I'd wager any competent local mechanic could install an aftermarket hitch for you - might be worth calling a few shops that are well-rated on Yelp and see what they say. UHaul's main advantage is because hitch installation is the only thing they really do, they keep them in stock, whereas a regular mechanic is going to either order it or have you provide it. The actual process of installing a pre-made hitch is not anything special.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

MomJeans420 posted:

I need to do my rotors and this is my first car where they've been held on with brass screws. Of course one screw came out ok, and the head on the other instantly started to strip. I don't think any of my drill bits will work for drilling it out, so I need to either buy a manual impact driver, or the appropriate bits. The head isn't completely stripped, think there's a chance an impact driver will work? I may just buy both tools, as I'm sure they'll be useful to have in the future. What are the best bits for drilling out a screw?

I stripped the poo poo out of the screws holding on the rotors on my sister's rotor. After breaking a screw extractor on one and a screwdriver tip in another, I ended up getting them out by hitting them with a chisel, angling it so the chisel would dig in and turn the screw.

I bought one of these for next time.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002NYDRG

Of course, I didn't install the screws on the new rotors because gently caress dealing with that again.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Uthor posted:

I stripped the poo poo out of the screws holding on the rotors on my sister's rotor. After breaking a screw extractor on one and a screwdriver tip in another, I ended up getting them out by hitting them with a chisel, angling it so the chisel would dig in and turn the screw.

I bought one of these for next time.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002NYDRG

Of course, I didn't install the screws on the new rotors because gently caress dealing with that again.

An impact driver is a good thing to have, and I have it on good authority that this Tekton one is by the same real manufacturer as the one you bought, but for less than half of the price. I bought one last year and have been beating on it pretty well.

Seriously I have no idea who tekton is but I only find them on Amazon as a kid of "bargain basement" brand, but unlike HF's tool line the wrenches are actually the correct size after chroming, and they're cheaper than craftsman. I'm kind of weirdly infatuated with them now.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
This is a very stupid question, hence the thread. On 'Top Gear' they had the segment 'Star In A Reasonably Priced Car'. Occasionally they'd get a Formula 1 driver, and those had their own leaderboard. On the Suzuki Liana, the fastest civilian got a 144.4, which is the same time as The Stig's best time in that car. The top five Formula 1 drivers are all faster than that, in the same car.

My question is: what are they doing differently? How are they getting 2 or 3 seconds faster in the same exact car as even the Stig?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
IIRC they take really aggressive lines through the corners, and the entire track was designed by Lotus to test cornering and recovery cornering after a high-speed sprint, so they all shave off seconds. Normal people aren't used to cars that allow you to corner more aggressively the faster you go like a Formula 1 car, so I think they aren't as worried about rolling as much as the normal person.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Imagined posted:

This is a very stupid question, hence the thread. On 'Top Gear' they had the segment 'Star In A Reasonably Priced Car'. Occasionally they'd get a Formula 1 driver, and those had their own leaderboard. On the Suzuki Liana, the fastest civilian got a 144.4, which is the same time as The Stig's best time in that car. The top five Formula 1 drivers are all faster than that, in the same car.

My question is: what are they doing differently? How are they getting 2 or 3 seconds faster in the same exact car as even the Stig?

They are literally the highest-paid, most skilled drivers in the world. The stig (Ben Collins for most of the run) was just a stunt driver; he's good, but not world-class. They're paid millions of dollars a year to find hundredths and thousands of a second around a track, of course they can wring full seconds out of street cars.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Imagined posted:

This is all making the assumption that The Stig is actually a really good driver and not just a competent driver in a suit.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

EightBit posted:

This is all making the assumption that The Stig is actually a really good driver and not just a competent driver in a suit.

I always assumed the Stig was a retired Formula 1 driver.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Imagined posted:

I always assumed the Stig was a retired Formula 1 driver.

Depends on the season.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I remember Clarkson saying that the F1 drivers take a radically different line in one of the corners (the first or second) than The Stig takes.

Have they ever a timed run with The Stig? The episode where they unmask (unhelmet?) him, there was a gag about him never doing a timed run and then they showed a bunch of clips of him driving the track backwards and in the wrong direction.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Imagined posted:

Interesting to see that White Stig was 1.6s faster than Black Stig.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Mind_Taker posted:

Where is the best place to get a trailer hitch installed (class I for a bike rack)? I looked at U-Haul and the internet is telling me they mostly do a good job and their price is better than a dealership, but I wasn't sure if there was a better option (other than DIY which I am not interested in doing).

What car? I installed a hitch on my Golf in 15min, plus another hour or so for the wiring.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Enourmo posted:

They are literally the highest-paid, most skilled drivers in the world. The stig (Ben Collins for most of the run) was just a stunt driver; he's good, but not world-class. They're paid millions of dollars a year to find hundredths and thousands of a second around a track, of course they can wring full seconds out of street cars.

It's also worth mentioning that TG is the most laughably un-scientific and unreliable show for measuring anything and they often deliberately fake lap times and other things to get a crowd pop so it's pretty much as meaningless as public nurburgring times as far as data goes.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Think about how good you are compared to the average muppet with a licence. Now think about the term "logarithmic scale".

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

InitialDave posted:

Think about how good you are compared to the average muppet with a licence. Now think about the term "logarithmic scale".

I see you spend quite a bit of time in America. We need people to honk at people on their smart phones on green lights. I am happy to provide this service.

lwoodio
Apr 4, 2008

lwoodio posted:

06 SS/SC cobalt has steering wheel shake and front end vibration between 60-75 mph. I have gotten new tires (balanced), brakes and rotors to try to fix it, but the problem persists. Both wheels spin freely in the air. Driver's front CV boot makes a slight rubber squeaking as the rubber flexes as it turns. There is no play in the wheels when I jack it up and twist from top to bottom and side to side. I might go back to the tire shop and ask for a rebalance, but the old tires did the same thing.

lwoodio posted:

Looked into this some more. Right front wheel has a bit of radial runout when I jack it up and let it spin. Rear control arm bushing looks somewhat shabby. Would a bad rear CAB cause steering wheel shake and vibration?

Pics of suspension and steering parts:

Rear CAB

Front CAB

Sway bar end links

Tie Rod end

Replaced the sway bar links and rear control arm bushings. Still vibrating above 60mph. Halp.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

lwoodio posted:

Replaced the sway bar links and rear control arm bushings. Still vibrating above 60mph. Halp.

Have you watched the wheel rim to make sure there's no runout as they spin? If there's a dent somewhere they'll balance, but not roll smoothly. Alternately you could get them rotated to see if it follows the wheels.

You say 60-75, does it go away above that speed?

Also, how old are the struts?

Cthulhuite
Mar 22, 2007

Shwmae!

lwoodio posted:

Did you try getting an alignment?

lwoodio
Apr 4, 2008

I only have 38k on it. I have watched the rims as they turn and didn't notice any dents. I might get the alignment checked next if that could make it vibrate. It is the worst at 65, and starts to go away above 75, but I haven't taken it above 80 to see if it will totally go away.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I'd say have them check wheel runout if they have the capability. Vibration is almost certainly something rotating and you've replaced all the wear items that rotate to no effect.

Alignment very rarely causes vibration, it usually shows up as pulling or uneven tire wear.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
hosed suspension components can allow death wobble, but I don't think you have that going on, or you'd be afraid to drive the drat thing (if you have half a brain).

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Windows going up very slow in my Miata - any easy way to tell if it's the motor or regulator?

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
Can anyone comment on Nexen tires? These look like they are on the KIAs from the factory. Looking to replace my all seasons. They seem like good value. I need it to last on a car for probably 5 years in the rainy Pacific Northwest.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

They don't seem to have any reviews on Tire Rack.

What car do you have?

What's your budget?

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
2007 Scion TC, budget is economical, I don't mind paying more if it's worth it but I don't need nothing crazy top of the line.. as I mentioned I plan on getting rid of the car in 5 years anyways.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
A dizzy is a distributor, right?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

scuz posted:

A dizzy is a distributor, right?
If the context fits that, yes.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

InitialDave posted:

If the context fits that, yes.

"16v dizzy hall sensor"

I'm doing research for a 16v head swap but if I can't figure out what dizzy means, I should probably hold off :saddowns:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

scuz posted:

"16v dizzy hall sensor"

I'm doing research for a 16v head swap but if I can't figure out what dizzy means, I should probably hold off :saddowns:
Yes. Distributor hall effect sensor.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

InitialDave posted:

Yes. Distributor hall effect sensor.
Cool, thanks. I feel empowered enough to undertake such an inadvisable endeavor.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

lol internet. posted:

2007 Scion TC, budget is economical, I don't mind paying more if it's worth it but I don't need nothing crazy top of the line.. as I mentioned I plan on getting rid of the car in 5 years anyways.

Five years is kind of the upper end of what you'd expect a tire to last as long as it's not a hard rubber hockey puck that has no traction, but will last forever (don't buy those).

Check out TireRack for your car, filter it so you only see all-season tires, drop the price to ~$100 MAX, and sort by consumer ratings. These are only $1.50/tire more than the no-review Nexen tires and have the third best reviews in that price range.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...tC&autoModClar=

Even better rated Michelin's are even a few bucks cheaper.

If you have a Discount Tire near you, cross shop with them. They seem to have good prices/selections and I was happy with them the one time I used them.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Uthor posted:

Five years is kind of the upper end of what you'd expect a tire to last as long as it's not a hard rubber hockey puck that has no traction, but will last forever (don't buy those).

Check out TireRack for your car, filter it so you only see all-season tires, drop the price to ~$100 MAX, and sort by consumer ratings. These are only $1.50/tire more than the no-review Nexen tires and have the third best reviews in that price range.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...tC&autoModClar=

Even better rated Michelin's are even a few bucks cheaper.

If you have a Discount Tire near you, cross shop with them. They seem to have good prices/selections and I was happy with them the one time I used them.

Somebody somewhere was talking about getting Continental DWSes for cheap. I think they're EOL but still a good tire. I don't remember who or where or I'd link the post.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

CharlesM posted:

Somebody somewhere was talking about getting Continental DWSes for cheap. I think they're EOL but still a good tire. I don't remember who or where or I'd link the post.

Possibly me. I like them on my car. They didn't show up when I looked for lol internet's car, but I didn't look hard because :effort:.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Uthor posted:

Keep in mind shipping in those prices. But yeah I love DT and TR.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

lol internet. posted:

Can anyone comment on Nexen tires? These look like they are on the KIAs from the factory. Looking to replace my all seasons. They seem like good value. I need it to last on a car for probably 5 years in the rainy Pacific Northwest.

I have put Nexens on a couple of my friend's cars. They are good tires, but seem to wear very quickly. Nexen, Kumho and Hankook are all Korean brands of tires.

0toShifty fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Oct 9, 2015

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

I've got a spare set of winter wheels+tires for my 02 Audi TT, and I'm wondering if they'll work on a 2011 Porsche Cayman. How do I go about figuring that out? The wheels are Borbet BS 75735 , of which all product info seems to be German. I'm looking at Tire Rack and comparing across the two vehicles, and they both seem to take the same wheel sizes (17, 18, 19) and the lug pattern looks to be the same, but that's hardly scientific.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
They're not the same bolt pattern. 5x100 and 5x130 according to 9 seconds on google.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Godholio posted:

They're not the same bolt pattern. 5x100 and 5x130 according to 9 seconds on google.

Ah, I wasn't aware that was something to look for. Thanks.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I hope this is the place to ask.

I need a car or truck for heavy winter driving, any clear reccomendations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Abu Dave posted:

I hope this is the place to ask.

I need a car or truck for heavy winter driving, any clear reccomendations?

snow tires.
awd