Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Kaizoku posted:

People whose minds you've changed: 0

Please refresh to get an up-to-date number.

I used to work at the Apple Store/Genius Bar and when people got their iPhones/iPads replaced and threw a fit about losing their screen protector, I would take my car keys to the glass of their old device to show them how durable it actually is, nothing happens.

There's really not much short of diamonds that will ruin screens these days.

e:
basically the electronics version of this

e.pilot fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Oct 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

Snuffman posted:

Just curious, cause the Mini 2/3 has the same specs, and to be honest, its running better than ever.

The big lynchpin I've always noticed is Safari performance, but with all the awesome adblock'n going on, my mini is performing better than ever. I mean, I was able to watch a movie on Netflix and switch between IMDB and Wikipedia to look at stuff related to said movie without netflix needing to reload the whole thing.

IMDB is likely the bigger culprit...I hope

Apps run fine, even power-hungry synths, and safari is indeed faster with 1blocker installed. I find the os to be choppy now: folders opening/closing, pulling down search from the middle of the screen, pulling in split view from the right, things like that.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ
Are there any adblockers that work with chrome? Or do they only work with safari?

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Skwee posted:

Are there any adblockers that work with chrome? Or do they only work with safari?

None, the content blocker only affects Safari and the new Safari embedded browser, used by some apps.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

I'm not loving replacing my air 2 next year gently caress that noise. If that's how quickly they age out of functioning I'm never buying another tablet again. It's fine to replace a phone every 2 years but not a tablet.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Ogmius815 posted:

I'm not loving replacing my air 2 next year gently caress that noise. If that's how quickly they age out of functioning I'm never buying another tablet again. It's fine to replace a phone every 2 years but not a tablet.

I'm still using an iPad 2. Its fine, it plays netflix and plex and browses the web, and plays a few games for my kid. Thats all we wanna do with it. It just depends on what you wanna do with it, and how much of a power user you are and how much you need to be upgraded.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I didn't notice any performance hits on iOS 9 with my Air 1. Sometimes the device is indexing at first or it's just a perceived hit when there's nothing there.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

Jose Oquendo posted:

I didn't notice any performance hits on iOS 9 with my Air 1. Sometimes the device is indexing at first or it's just a perceived hit when there's nothing there.

Same here, for what it's worth.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue
Well, as I said, apps on my Air 1 (64GB with 20GB free) run fine. No lag or stuttering with multiple DSP-heavy synths running through audiobus and into nano studio doing real-time recording. No stuttering or lag on graphics-heavy games. Instantaneous response in photo editing and painting software.

It's only the OS that's choppy for me, and only in a few places, which to me is a long range radar alert that IOS 9 is writing checks the hardware can't cash. I'm sure apps will continue to run perfectly in 10 on the Air 1, but the 1GB of core memory is now the limiting factor for the "apple experience", and if 9 is pushing it now, 10 will certainly push it further.

The Air 2 has 2GB ram, so it certainly has more than 1 year of pep left to it.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ogmius815 posted:

Seriously, the air 2 is a powerhouse. Where's this rage coming from?

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue
I think it's because I said this, but my post above yours kinda took it back.

Croc Monster posted:

9.0 has definitely pushed the Air 1 into showing-its-age territory. I imagine 10.0 will do that to the Air 2.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
How's ios 9 on a Mini 1?

I am tempted to upgrade this one that I borrow from work, but it only has 16GB of space and is a mini one so I am guessing that I probably shouldn't!

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I doubt iOS 10 will perceptibly impact the Air 2's usability. The increased demands of successive OS versions are leveling off while the hardware boosts in successive device generations are still exploding.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
So my new iPad mini 4 is super neat but who here has some ~case recommendations~? I had an apple leather Smart Cover for my venerable iPad 2, is the newer stuff as good? I'm looking for something slim and magnetic.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

ManSedan posted:

So my new iPad mini 4 is super neat but who here has some ~case recommendations~? I had an apple leather Smart Cover for my venerable iPad 2, is the newer stuff as good? I'm looking for something slim and magnetic.

I have the iPad Air 2 version of this and I highly recommend it. While it is fake leather its light and does a good job

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Since unveiling have there been * any * interesting info dumps, leaks, hands-on, etc regarding the Pro?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Feenix posted:

Since unveiling have there been * any * interesting info dumps, leaks, hands-on, etc regarding the Pro?

Some Pixar designers got some hands on with one: http://www.gottabemobile.com/2015/09/29/pixar-tests-the-ipad-pro-perfect-palm-rejection/

And the Adobe MAX conf is going on right now I guess? There are some hands on reports starting to trickle out from there, since Adobe is showing off their new apps on it.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Blah, it's my first time getting warranty service from apple. My ipad mini 2's audio jack went loving crazy, sound is super weird and distorted, parts of the sound are either way quiet or missing.

I submitted a repair request and I guess I just drop off the bare device at a UPS store? That's the only instructions I got.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

e.pilot posted:

I used to work at the Apple Store/Genius Bar and when people got their iPhones/iPads replaced and threw a fit about losing their screen protector, I would take my car keys to the glass of their old device to show them how durable it actually is, nothing happens.

There's really not much short of diamonds that will ruin screens these days.

e:
basically the electronics version of this

I use a glass screen protector on my iPhone because it provides something to dissipate the energy of a fall through instead of the actual screen. You won't get that with a plastic screen protector though.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

illcendiary posted:

I use a glass screen protector on my iPhone because it provides something to dissipate the energy of a fall through instead of the actual screen. You won't get that with a plastic screen protector though.

I personally wouldn't put a piece of glass on top of another one then see what happens when it breaks. Just me though.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Why not?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

I personally wouldn't put a piece of glass on top of another one then see what happens when it breaks. Just me though.

Huh? Why?

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
If a piece of glass drops, I'd rather have plastic over top of it rather than another piece of glass.

I should also state I have no scientific reasoning to back this up and think screen protectors are quite useless in any capacity.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

If a piece of glass drops, I'd rather have plastic over top of it rather than another piece of glass.

I should also state I have no scientific reasoning to back this up and think screen protectors are quite useless in any capacity.

I don't use screen protectors either, but if I did it would probably be glass. The glass protector will absorb some of that energy and shatter, hopefully absorbing enough to allow the screen to emerge unscathed. A film protector will no nothing but make sure any glass chips from your now shattered screen don't escape.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

This is a stupid derail in any case, but irrespective of your opinion on aesthetics (which I understand), a hard, brittle (i.e. glass) screen protector is useful specifically because it provides a means for drop energy loss through deformation (shattering).

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Anecdotally when I worked in phone/tablet sales I had tons of customers who needed to buy a new tempered glass protector from me because the protector broke but not the screen. Never, ever saw that when we only did plastic ones.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

FordPRefectLL posted:

Anecdotally when I worked in phone/tablet sales I had tons of customers who needed to buy a new tempered glass protector from me because the protector broke but not the screen. Never, ever saw that when we only did plastic ones.

Well, a plastic screen protector isn't going to shatter unless it gets really cold, right?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

FordPRefectLL posted:

I replaced plastic ones all the time after the customers tried installing them themselves.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

illcendiary posted:

The phone screen is made of ultra advanced, tempered gorilla glass (or similar). Is your $5 glass protector really going to do anything?

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday
Gorilla Glass and the like is designed to be scratch resistant. It'll still shatter as nicely as any other glass.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

wooger posted:

The phone screen is made of ultra advanced, tempered gorilla glass (or similar). Is your $5 glass protector really going to do anything?

Backing up Ford Prefect, I wouldn't say glass screen protectors are a savior, but they do help.

So I have an iPad mini 4, and the multitasking is great, but is there Amy way to pick what apps make the list? I know over time they end up near the top anyway, but I am just never going to use loving tips in my multitasking.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Duckman2008 posted:

So I have an iPad mini 4, and the multitasking is great, but is there Amy way to pick what apps make the list? I know over time they end up near the top anyway, but I am just never going to use loving tips in my multitasking.

Nope!

Pretty huge oversight on Apple's part. It's only going to get worse as more apps add iOS9 functionality. The list sort of orders itself on last app used, though.

Maybe we'll get that functionality in iOS9.2? :shrug:

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

wooger posted:

As far as protecting scratches goes, no. The glass on my phone is obviously harder and thus more scratch resistant than any screen protector I can buy. But as far as I'm concerned, the point of the glass screen protector is to protect against dropping and screen shattering. This is a problem that isn't going to go away for the foreseeable future. In fact if we get to the point where Apple puts sapphire screens on their phone, the shattering problem is only going to get worse, barring some miraculous advancement in material sciences. I can't repeat this enough, but the point of a glass screen protector as far as I'm using it is to introduce a fail-safe into the system. I want it to shatter before my phone's screen does. It's not perfect, especially now that the iPhone 6/6S have rounded edges, but it's something.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Snuffman posted:

Nope!

Pretty huge oversight on Apple's part. It's only going to get worse as more apps add iOS9 functionality. The list sort of orders itself on last app used, though.

Maybe we'll get that functionality in iOS9.2? :shrug:

Yeah, overall it's definitely a first world problem, and I don't usually run into an issue since it goes by last app used, it's more annoying than anything.

Now google just needs to update hangouts with the multi tasking support and it'll be awesome.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Question about the SD card connector: does it copy RAW files over non-destructively? Copying the photos from my DSLR to my iPad might be less annoying than DSLR to MacBook.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

TinTower posted:

Question about the SD card connector: does it copy RAW files over non-destructively? Copying the photos from my DSLR to my iPad might be less annoying than DSLR to MacBook.

I guess I don't know if it's non-destructively, but it definitely copies over what appear to be "original" RAW files. Pretty excited for 128GB iPad Pro so I can just take my camera and iPad places.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Is it cool to get the air 2 or is the air 3 coming out soon?

housefly
Sep 11, 2001

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Is it cool to get the air 2 or is the air 3 coming out soon?

It's anyone's guess at this point. I'd bet decent money that next year they'll unleash the force touch updates to the iPad line. If that's not a big selling point for you, then grab one now.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

mediaphage posted:

I guess I don't know if it's non-destructively, but it definitely copies over what appear to be "original" RAW files. Pretty excited for 128GB iPad Pro so I can just take my camera and iPad places.

As long as I can put a CR2 into my iPad and get that CR2 out on my Mac that's fine. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Best Buy took $100 off Air 2s for black Friday last year, so I'm hoping I can find at least a similar deal this year.

Google has given my Nexus 10 the "upgrade, motherfucker!" of missing OS updates, but I also don't really feel a desire to help Apple achieve the fattest possible profit margins by paying day one prices for year old hardware.