Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Hazdoc posted:

This isn't 100% accurate. It does have a pretty monster zone in which it can hit ships and not be spotted back, but that bubble is still smaller than the Fletcher's, and it still gets detected within a good distance if a DD or plane closes in. The ballistics is what makes the stealth fire so dangerous, its not the floaty shots of the US 5 inch guns.

A spreadsheet from reddit showing a lot of info on stealth fire ranges.
https://onedrive.live.com/view.aspx?resid=360E87CC23673AEC!131&ithint=file%2cxlsx&app=Excel&authkey=!ABOQSeuh09KOjjk

As you can see, something is very hosed with RUS concealment firing range. They're not receiving as harsh a penalty as other DDs are, with the T10 boat only getting +2.6 km detection range added when firing. :iiam:
This is highly disappointing, as I suspect people are going to cry OP and subsequently get DDs nerfed. AGAIN.

To be fair, I never said it had the absolute best stealth fire of any ship, just that added to everything else it's completely idiotic. And it's not exactly a significant difference between them anyways.

And those high tier Russian DDs are OP, very heavily so. To an extent that I can barely comprehend given WG knows the ship stats and what the general soft stats currently favor, and still released this bullshit. After repeatedly nerfing various factors related to both the other lines of destroyers(various torpedo factors, US guns, Shimakaze's speed, smoke clouds, etc.). The supertesters are apparently sending back lots of reports about just how powerful they are, but most of the problems with the line should have been evident a mile away - hell, plenty of people were already predicting, rather accurately, the issues as soon as the hard stats were released, before they even saw gameplay of the things.

There are plenty of ways they could beat these with a nerf bat that would not affect other ships, though whether they do so is another matter.

edit: Here's a video of just how bullshit they are, for those of you who are less familiar with them. Watch as a Kiev kills almost an entire team in ranked from virtually perfect safety. Amaze at how the T10 basically kills two Tirpitz almost singlehandedly.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Oct 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lord Koth posted:

Who the gently caress cares about torpedoes when, as kaesarsosei mentioned, it can gun down even high tier BBs with complete abandon.

Ugh. This is already the worst thing about playing a BB. If you're fighting someone with half a brain, little ships become a huge pain in the rear end. If they just show you their front profile, you're not going to hit them often or reliably. That isn't so bad, but their tiny guns inevitably set you on fire, and then you are hosed.

The only time I feel like my BB really shines is if I'm getting those big citadel hits, and that isn't a sure thing. Anything that isn't a BB will dance around at long range. The spread of the BB's guns only aggravates the problem, especially when you update to a new ship.

The obvious solution is 'stay with your team', but even that isn't a sure thing because it a game and nobody gives a poo poo about anybody else.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.

Hazdoc posted:

This isn't 100% accurate. It does have a pretty monster zone in which it can hit ships and not be spotted back, but that bubble is still smaller than the Fletcher's, and it still gets detected within a good distance if a DD or plane closes in. The ballistics is what makes the stealth fire so dangerous, its not the floaty shots of the US 5 inch guns.

A spreadsheet from reddit showing a lot of info on stealth fire ranges.
https://onedrive.live.com/view.aspx?resid=360E87CC23673AEC!131&ithint=file%2cxlsx&app=Excel&authkey=!ABOQSeuh09KOjjk

As you can see, something is very hosed with RUS concealment firing range. They're not receiving as harsh a penalty as other DDs are, with the T10 boat only getting +2.6 km detection range added when firing. :iiam:
This is highly disappointing, as I suspect people are going to cry OP and subsequently get DDs nerfed. AGAIN.

Thanks for the information, the Zao is on that chart, I think the mogami could be on there too. Base detection is 12.1 km. I'm guessing it's range is around 17 km after upgrades.

In any event... exp chart...

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1DIm3CyZw2t0x-E5rJmuN_VkOmFG510hG6GTfKPMKS0U/edit#gid=0

I can easily jump myself to tier 8 with free exp, if the DD's are really that overpowered! Makes me kind of want to stop leveling my American destroyers at least, since the guns won't be the strength anymore.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Night10194 posted:

So the Aurora should basically never use its AP, as I was bouncing off the citadel of a Kuma at 6km with it. This is good to know for my lovely revolution-starting communism party boat.

It's a fun ship. That 50m less turning radius actually makes up for some of the weaker stats. She feels pretty agile by comparison to the St. Lou or even some of the other US Cruisers. Had a 90k damage game in the Aurora last night. :supaburn:

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Well it's 2X xp on first win weekday and pubbies are being terrible as usual. 6 pubbies couldn't sink a Colorado 10 km off :stare:

e: Also aim mods everywhere. gently caress this game.

e2: 1v5 anyone? :smithicide:

Aesis fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Oct 7, 2015

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

jownzy posted:

Thanks for the information, the Zao is on that chart, I think the mogami could be on there too. Base detection is 12.1 km. I'm guessing it's range is around 17 km after upgrades.

In any event... exp chart...

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1DIm3CyZw2t0x-E5rJmuN_VkOmFG510hG6GTfKPMKS0U/edit#gid=0

I can easily jump myself to tier 8 with free exp, if the DD's are really that overpowered! Makes me kind of want to stop leveling my American destroyers at least, since the guns won't be the strength anymore.

With the concealment module and camo you can get the Mogami's spotting range down to around 10.5km. With AFT you can shoot to 18.1km with the 155s and I think shooting in a cruiser adds 6km to your spot range, so yeah you can stealth shoot in it with about 1.6km of buffer. Not much but it's still a great ship regardless.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
The spot range added from shooting is based on gun caliber.
For 150-155mm it's around 4.6km added. So that should leave you with ~2.5km buffer.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

PirateBob posted:

For 150-155mm it's around 4.6km added. So that should leave you with ~2.5km buffer.

...So why the hell do the 130 mm guns on the Soviet destroyers add less than the guns on US or IJN destroyers?

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Oct 7, 2015

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Lord Koth posted:

...So why the hell do the 130 mm guns on the Soviet destroyers add less than the guns on US or IJN destroyers?

Ruskie смещение

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I'm really looking forward to the new boats, though. It'll be a fun time to try out some new things.

Though the T1-4 Russians look hilariously terrible.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

PirateBob posted:

http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/36553-spotting-mechanics/

Unless that's changed, it's based on ship class with some variation.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
I wrote 4 km because it's approximate value for DDs when firing 5 inch guns. Also I miscalculated concealment of Tier 10 Russian DD with camo and module, it should be 7.86 km with both. Since you get 15.6 km range with AFT that will give you around 4 km buffer zone, but with faster projectile speed and lower arc. Mini, stealthy Mogami.

Tennance
Feb 8, 2013
Can someone give me the low-down on CVs? I've been researching the forums but all I'm getting is a boatload of conflicting information.

WHAT I KNOW:

I've got a Langley. For a flat bathtub its pretty neat.
IJN carriers get way better setups since dive bombers are poo poo.
USN fighters > IJN fighters at higher tier
IJN fighters outrun USN fighters (so arguably possibly IJN > USN)
In order to have fighters as a USN CV, I need to give up TBs
DBs suck so without TBs im going to be relegated to pewpewing aircraft

WHAT I NEED TO KNOW:

Should I reroll to IJN now or hold out to try a Bogue (USN T5) so I get a dive bomber and can see for myself what level of poo poo it is?
How do I deal with higher tier carriers or other forms of they have more/better planes than I do? When I only have 1 fighter squad and the 2 enemy hoshos have 2 fighters and 4 TBs I can't be everywhere so its either defend friendlies or lose all my planes.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
The Langley and Bogue are both kinda horrible mainly because of their low speed. If one side of your team just collapses, you're not getting outta dodge in time, while IJN carriers are all speedy.

The Bogue is basically a Langley again, so don't hold out hope on its account. The Independence that comes at tier 6 can do 30 knots, so it's a nice upgrade.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Gort posted:

The Langley and Bogue are both kinda horrible mainly because of their low speed. If one side of your team just collapses, you're not getting outta dodge in time, while IJN carriers are all speedy.

The Bogue is basically a Langley again, so don't hold out hope on its account. The Independence that comes at tier 6 can do 30 knots, so it's a nice upgrade.

Squads of 6 planes is nice too... I was fortunate enough to have a masterful Independence on my team last night, bailed us out with 5 kills by putting down perfect torp drops that were getting 4-5 hits even on cruisers. Weirdly enough we both got Confederate almost simultaneously by beating up on the last remaining ship.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Tennance posted:

Can someone give me the low-down on CVs? I've been researching the forums but all I'm getting is a boatload of conflicting information.

WHAT I KNOW:

I've got a Langley. For a flat bathtub its pretty neat.
IJN carriers get way better setups since dive bombers are poo poo.
USN fighters > IJN fighters at higher tier
IJN fighters outrun USN fighters (so arguably possibly IJN > USN)
In order to have fighters as a USN CV, I need to give up TBs
DBs suck so without TBs im going to be relegated to pewpewing aircraft

WHAT I NEED TO KNOW:

Should I reroll to IJN now or hold out to try a Bogue (USN T5) so I get a dive bomber and can see for myself what level of poo poo it is?
How do I deal with higher tier carriers or other forms of they have more/better planes than I do? When I only have 1 fighter squad and the 2 enemy hoshos have 2 fighters and 4 TBs I can't be everywhere so its either defend friendlies or lose all my planes.

In my Bogue I run the 2 fighter squadron and 1 dive bomber squadron setup. I do next to no damage to enemy battleships but I wreck every enemy fighter and bomber I see. The USN planes being slower just makes the (tier 4?) dogfighting talent work for you, making your fighters better. Think of the Bogue as the "I'm not going to let you use your carriers" cv and you'll be fine. Also you accrue a lot of XP shooting down all those crap IJN planes with your monster fighters. They really do feel OP. Also you can plink away at battleships and cruisers, with your lone dive bomber squadron. Making them burn their repair cool down on a fire is pretty useful. To answer your question though: Dive bombers feel pretty bad next to torp bombers. I think the fighters on the Bogue make up for it though. It's just a slightly different manner of play than painstakingly manually targeting torps over and over.

Tennance
Feb 8, 2013
I have no problems manually dropping torps. Whilst I dont typically hit 5 of 6 I can almost always get 3 of them impacting the target. I do dearly love going full navy field and completely having air superiority, but not having a torpedo squadron is a really big downside. In fact it kind of frightens me, because after I've exhausted the enemy of planes which is a perfectly normal occurance with a bit of micro, I've got nothing to really do other than drop torps where applicable.

Just played a game where me and a bogue totally obliterated the opposing fighter cover, but our team lost the sea war, I got a BB with a pair of torpedo runs as well but in the end Im still running from cruisers.

A note on the speed of the Langley, you really gotta just watch how the fight is going. It's going to take me minutes to cross a small stretch of water, and even longer to accelerate to top speed, knowing that I slam this bitch into full speed ahead right away and always try to drive in straight direct lines. I definitely always fall behind the main line, but I still stay close enough that its a short jaunt for a refuel as opposed to a 20 minute ordeal to get a new squad in the air.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

So skill wise what do you think will work good for the Russian Destroyers (at least the tier 5+ ones).

Basic Firing Training, Situational Awareness
Expert Marksman (dont know how slow the turrets will be)
Vigilance?
then im thinking Advanced Firing Training over Last Stand for kiting enemies and shooting them outside spotting range - it sounds like the guns will have enough velocity that you can actually use the extra range. Eventually id want to grind to Demolition Expert maybe but ill probably quit long before that happens heh.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
I'd be very wary of taking AFT on the RUS DDs unless you're willing to part with gold for a respec or use the commander in other boats, as I highly suspect that the tears will flow on their release, followed promptly by WG overreacting and nerfing RUS DDs (and the other ones because :wargaming:) to compensate. Unfortunately, I forsee stealth firing getting nerfed hard. :(

TSBX
Apr 24, 2010
So after about a dozen lackluster battles in my Aoba, I finally realized that I can beat the gently caress out of Clevelands with HE for like 3k a pop. Burned down a Nagato the same way. :c00l:

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
I have changed my opinion of the Taco.

The whole game was just absolutely bonkers. People kept ignoring me, right up until I started dropping shots into their squishy bits and their boats exploded.

The Taco isn't the best ship ever, but it's fast, it's guns are pretty good and they have enough penetration to citadel a lot of stuff.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

I had a game like that yesterday. Took away some of the bitter taste from grinding that miserable SOB before the big patch.

Stalkerr
Jun 10, 2012

Just got my Cleveland last night! Any tips for a new Cleveland driver? It feels like a really fast battleship with no armor. I got absolutely annihilated from 20 km by some Tier VIII battleships earlier... not sure if aimbot, or...?

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Stalkerr posted:

Just got my Cleveland last night! Any tips for a new Cleveland driver? It feels like a really fast battleship with no armor. I got absolutely annihilated from 20 km by some Tier VIII battleships earlier... not sure if aimbot, or...?
Aim mod/bot for sure. Get Situation Awareness, then if you're spotted turn immediately.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Hazdoc posted:

I'd be very wary of taking AFT on the RUS DDs unless you're willing to part with gold for a respec or use the commander in other boats, as I highly suspect that the tears will flow on their release, followed promptly by WG overreacting and nerfing RUS DDs (and the other ones because :wargaming:) to compensate. Unfortunately, I forsee stealth firing getting nerfed hard. :(

Even then, long range firing seems like a strong option with that shell speed.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Stalkerr posted:

Were you travelling in a straight line for 10+ seconds, parallel to the BB that fired?

Aesis posted:

Aim mod/bot for sure. Get Situation Awareness, then if you're spotted turn immediately.

Anyone who shoots you is an aimbot, true story.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!

Stalkerr posted:

Always be shooting and always be drunk driving.
Get the gun upgrade as soon as you can.
Be prepared to either zoom out, or get used to having to lead things by so far they are no longer on your screen.
Don't forget to hunt and kill DDs just because you can 1v1 most BBs.
Chain fire is very helpful when fighting well played DDs.
Also don't forget about your new shinny airplanes die button.

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

Hagop posted:

Also don't forget about your new shinny airplanes die button.

more like make sure you remember to put the drat ability on your boat pre-battle :mad:

Stalkerr
Jun 10, 2012

Stanley Pain posted:

Were you travelling in a straight line for 10+ seconds, parallel to the BB that fired?

No, I was at full health, turning to circle a NM I was providing AA cover for. I could see a collection of BBs about 18km out, but they were on the other side of a bunch of islands. Then, I just blew up. Lucky hit I guess?

Being in a Phoenix/Omaha taught me to never stay on the same line for more than 10 seconds.

EDIT: Doesn't really matter. It was just the first time I've been killed in one hit.

Stalkerr fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Oct 8, 2015

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Stalkerr posted:

No, I was at full health, turning to circle a NM I was providing AA cover for. I could see a collection of BBs about 18km out, but they were on the other side of a bunch of islands. Then, I just blew up. Lucky hit I guess?

Being in a Phoenix/Omaha taught me to never stay on the same line for more than 10 seconds.

EDIT: Doesn't really matter. It was just the first time I've been killed in one hit.

Did you get a badge when you died? You probably got hit in your magazine. Those can be 1 hit KOs. It's fairly rare.

Stalkerr
Jun 10, 2012

Nope, mag det has happened to me before, it was probably just a bunch of citadel hits.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Stalkerr posted:

Nope, mag det has happened to me before, it was probably just a bunch of citadel hits.

Yeah it's not out of the realm of possibility that he got lucky. I've shot a bunch of hail mary shots out to 20km and once in a while they pay off with a big ole ship dunk ;)

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Stanley Pain posted:

Yeah it's not out of the realm of possibility that he got lucky. I've shot a bunch of hail mary shots out to 20km and once in a while they pay off with a big ole ship dunk ;)

It's always worth it to make an early shot because most people (myself included) often forget they can still be hit at those ranges and sometimes, delicious citadels.

I've come back to the game after a month or two off and goddamn, it takes awhile to get used to aiming BB guns again.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Night10194 posted:

I've come back to the game after a month or two off and goddamn, it takes awhile to get used to aiming BB guns again.

Yeah, the RNG can be a bit painful at times, but the payoff is soooo drat good. I really enjoy BB gameplay the most because taking off 3/4+ HP from a ship in one volley is very satisfying. Being "tanky" also works well for me since I love to go balls deep ;)

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Stanley Pain posted:

Yeah, the RNG can be a bit painful at times, but the payoff is soooo drat good. I really enjoy BB gameplay the most because taking off 3/4+ HP from a ship in one volley is very satisfying. Being "tanky" also works well for me since I love to go balls deep ;)
And then die because everyone in your team either ran away or died so you're the only one inside 10 enemy's range :v:

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
this game is just so goddamn boring with all these idiots trying to outsnipe each other, the only fun matches I have are the ones where there's lots of brawling. guess it's time to abandon.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Yeah I'm getting bored of snipe fest. Pubbies are too afraid of getting hit that once they get shot they'll immediately turn and run. :argh:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The pubbies being tremendous cowards is the biggest strike against this game.

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh
I gave up playing my Zao for now. Not only is there no point to the "end-game" at tier X, it's just impossible to have a fun time when there's 1 DD, 1 CA, and 10 BBs every loving game with everyone just sniping at max range. Yeah the Zao is amazing relative to other tier 8-10 cruisers, but it's a lot more fun to play tier 5 destroyers as people still have balls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.
Let me tell you about a fun game I played this afternoon.

My reward for spending money to buy this ship.