Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

aren't they just going to be short stories that don't advance the story or am i thinking of something else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

darkgray please buy Orokamonogatari and let me know where in the plotline the story takes place and what happens

I just placed an order for it, but it doesn't come out until tomorrow (officially), and then it'll take a couple of weeks to ship here. And another week to read, I guess.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Senjougahara with her hair pulled up :worship:

E: and the best OP is back. This is gonna be a doozy.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

That was excellent.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

Torquemadras posted:

No way she/he isn't an apparition. At this point, I'm not even sure if she's real or just a figment that purely resides in memory (and achieves everything it does by messing with it). At this point, I'm thinking she's either literally Lucifer (or a suitably weird Monogatari counterpart), actually Meme Oshino, or one character hosed up and spawned a dangerously knowledgable apparition again ala flame tiger dude (Gaen? Could fit with here I-Know-Everything-Plus-I'm-Insufferable shtick)...

Also, Kanbaru is indeed the best, but so is Senjougahara
It's complicated

(I'm just going to use "it" for Ougi, even if it spends most of its time looking like a girl)

In the story where we're first introduced to the darkness that destroys apparitions who fail to act in accordance with their nature, Ougi describes itself as someone that punishes liars. Ougi's most notable feature is flat black voids for eyes. Ougi is responsible for Nadeko dropping pretenses and going full Snake God, and one of its more recent (heavily implied) actions was to shove Araragi into a situation where he'd use his powers and become a full vampire.

So I think we were told what's going on almost immediately, in grand Monogatari style. Ougi probably isn't an apparition, because apparitions are dependent on humans to exist; the darkness is more a kind of law of supernatural physics.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Hi thread,

I watched Bakemonogatari more than half a loving decade ago (jesus) and then I fell out of watching anime, but it remains one of the series that I'm most fond of. I have two questions.

1) The rip I have is from the original TV broadcast, when they ran out of animating time/budget, so the later episodes are all like

and

Did a proper version with full animation ever come out? If so, I can find it myself, of course, just wondering if this got completed or if they decided that how it aired is how it should be.

2) Are any of the other -monogataries worth watching? I remember reactions to Nisemono- were mixed; have they gotten more favorable since? I guess since this thread exists, the answer is probably yes.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

yeah they fixed it for the blu-rays, everything except maybe nise is as good or better (second season)

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
"Second Season" is IMO the best the show has ever been, so I'd definitely say it's worth pressing on after the low point of Nise if you liked Bake.

Strong Mouse
Jun 11, 2012

You disrespect us. You drag corpses around. You steal, and you hurt feelings!

RRRRRRRAAAAARGH!

Prepare to die!
That was a really good first episode, but I really think I need to go back and rewatch the entire thing up until now. I have forgotten way too much, and it hasn't even been a year since I first saw it.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
My natural twintails-aversion has me worried about this new character. But it'll probably turn out okay. This town's only big enough for one tsundere and that spot is filled.

Ougi is so drat menacing. They really nailed it with the porcelain face and how weirdly covered-up she is.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

HellCopter posted:

Ougi is so drat menacing. They really nailed it with the porcelain face and how weirdly covered-up she is.

"There has been literally no fanservice whatsoever associated with this girl"
"Something's seriously wrong"

:haw:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
When you haven't seen a Monogatari girl's butt... that's how you know she's really a dark beast, deep inside.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
Ougi has gotten cuter with every progressive appearance, including Hanamonogatari. I hope the dress from Owari's LN cover makes an appearance.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The Colonel posted:

When you haven't seen a Monogatari girl's butt... that's how you know she's really a dark beast, deep inside.

This doesn't work with Kaiki though. We haven't seen his butt but he's the purest of all Monogataris.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Torquemadras posted:

"There has been literally no fanservice whatsoever associated with this girl"
"Something's seriously wrong"

:haw:

was there even any fanservice in the premiere? felt oddly absent

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
I might be misrembering, but didn't Ougi just outright switch genders at some point between seasons/offscreen?

It might also have been a fault of the fansubbers translating non-gender-specific pronouns before her gender was revealed, I suppose.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

no she was a boy in tsukimonogatari and when suruga asked she said she had always been a boy, which seemed to retroactively change suruga's memories because ougi is spooky like that

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Oct 6, 2015

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Davincie posted:

was there even any fanservice in the premiere? felt oddly absent

None. Perhaps we'll get another season entirely devoid of fanservice?

It was weird because I watched all of Tsukimonogatari just before, which begins with 25 mintues of Arararararagi taking a bath with his naked sister and saying suggestive things to each other.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

ViggyNash posted:

None. Perhaps we'll get another season entirely devoid of fanservice?

It was weird because I watched all of Tsukimonogatari just before, which begins with 25 mintues of Arararararagi taking a bath with his naked sister and saying suggestive things to each other.

It seems Ougi and Tsuhiki exist on opposite ends of multiple spectrums. Ougi has no fanservice, Tsuhiki has nothing but. Ougi is awesome, Tsuhiki sucks. Ougi is extremely relevant to the story, Tsuhiki didn't even realize she had her own story arc

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Did you all miss the bit where Koyomi's line of sight is nowhere close to Hanekawa's eyes? Or does it not count as fanservice by Monogatari standards.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The latter.

e: There are lingering shots on Ougi's legs and her stood from behind too.
It's all fanservice technically but it's really just not a blip on the radar for this show really.

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

Aurain posted:

This doesn't work with Kaiki though. We haven't seen his butt but he's the purest of all Monogataris.

the manservice shower scene we got of him was top tier though

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

darkgray posted:

Did you all miss the bit where Koyomi's line of sight is nowhere close to Hanekawa's eyes? Or does it not count as fanservice by Monogatari standards.

don't remember

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

go to this website http://kodansha-box.jp/topics/nishio/orokamono/ to be insulted by all the -gatari girls. then someone figure out how i can get that shinobu shirt.

thanks.

in case you were wondering i wear a small. i dont know what size i wear in jap clothes

Dick Spacious CPA fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Oct 6, 2015

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

go to this website http://kodansha-box.jp/topics/nishio/orokamono/ to be insulted by all the -gatari girls. then someone figure out how i can get that shinobu shirt.

thanks.

Looks like a giveaway if you follow him on twitter, it's an autographed shirt I think. This is through google translate so it's very spotty.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Oh I forgot to mention it last night but the scene where Senjo talks so dirty to Ararargi in the backseat that he cums is some of the best editing I've seen in a TV show.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

In Training posted:

Oh I forgot to mention it last night but the scene where Senjo talks so dirty to Ararargi in the backseat that he cums is some of the best editing I've seen in a TV show.

That's fanservice on a master level, yup

That whole episode is everything good about Monogatari to a ridiculous degree, and if it weren't for the Kaiki-centric episodes, I'd say it's pretty much the best one.

Poor dad, tho

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Admoon posted:

Looks like a giveaway if you follow him on twitter, it's an autographed shirt I think. This is through google translate so it's very spotty.

You have to follow him and share your favorite insult from one of the girls. One person will get the shirt, signed by him.
I say go for "I love you," the cruelest set of words
(e: It should be obvious that the gifs are what you share btw)

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Postal Parcel posted:

You have to follow him and share your favorite insult from one of the girls. One person will get the shirt, signed by him.
I say go for "I love you," the cruelest set of words
(e: It should be obvious that the gifs are what you share btw)

I can get a T-shirt of Nadeko flustered because I know what's in her closet?

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Ahh! I can't scroll with this laptop touch pad, I'll never know what's under the cool video!

Here is a little more Ougi

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Torquemadras posted:

That's fanservice on a master level, yup

That whole episode is everything good about Monogatari to a ridiculous degree, and if it weren't for the Kaiki-centric episodes, I'd say it's pretty much the best one.

Poor dad, tho

There's a difference between fan service and sensuality or sexuality

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

All eroticism is fanservice

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

When I see a babe irl with hype baps I think that it is drat good fanservice

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

drat i cant believe the level of fanservice in stanley kubruck's eyes wide shut lol

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Radio Spiricom posted:

drat i cant believe the level of fanservice in stanley kubruck's eyes wide shut lol

poo poo man, that one scene from The Shining is the single most powerful example of fanservice I have ever seeen n yhe media

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

In Training posted:

There's a difference between fan service and sensuality or sexuality

Master level fanservice. :colbert:

yeah I got nothin

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

drat the 6 frames of spring break they showed in EP 15 look bonkers.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

so sick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

im jealous