Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

esquilax posted:

Does anyone have recommendations for a storage solution for Mage Knight?

I use baggies for pretty much everything and it works good, except when dealing monster tokens. I'm thinking a poker chip tray would speed things up a lot. Does anyone have a recommendation for one that's the right size to fit the tokens, has at least 8 rows, and has a cover so they don't all come loose? I have both expansions, no Krang.
my post from earlier in the thread

Here's my Mage Knight insert. Little sloppy (my first time working with foam) but completely functional and makes setup a breeze. The trays are all separate and can be pulled out freely. I do need to sleeve everything still. It was honestly a poo poo ton of work but worth it for this game.

Everything stacked for storage (rule book and reputation board go on top)

Character trays out of the box

The cards are sorted by type and have dividers between them

Map tiles, cities, and tokens

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Oct 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Bottom Liner posted:

I made foam trays that hold everything for each character in its own tray, and a tray that holds all the different decks separately as well. The tiles and cities are held in a large tray and everything fits in the box just fine. I'll post pics if you want to see.

Ziplocs work well enough for me for each player's cards/tokens/character, I'm not too concerned about those.

If you have the time I am interested in what you did for the monster tokens though. Also appreciate any helpful links or tips for starting out on building with foam.

edit: oh thanks!

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

lordsummerisle posted:

Can someone explain why Cosmic Encounter is on the number one spot of both SUSD and Vasel's Top Games of All Time? Tried it once, and really disliked it.

Lots of people like the exploration/discovery aspect of games, which is why you see people buying so goddamn many of them. Games like Cosmic have incredible variance and replicate that feeling each time you play. The fact that it's poo poo is secondary.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

lordsummerisle posted:

Can someone explain why Cosmic Encounter is on the number one spot of both SUSD and Vasel's Top Games of All Time?

Because it's a good game.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Rutibex posted:

_____________________/

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
You know, at this point I wouldn't be surprised to find out that Rutibex actually is Tom Vasel.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013
Cosmic Encounter is easy to teach and set up, different every time you play, and it involves everyone at the table socially. The mechanics aren't deep, but they are serviceable. I think it's an okay game.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

I know we've talked about this lots, but I feel like saying it again: this here is why I hate Tom Vasel. I'd be fine with him liking games I hate and hating games I like (which he does pretty consistently), but I hate how he can't say anything substantive about the games he reviews.

You'd think with just the sheer amount of time he's spent with games that he'd be able to see some sort of relationships between them - that he'd be able to recognize similarities between games, and latch on to the properties that he does or doesn't like. But no, every game is just a new opaque, intractable experience box that's either fun or boring (with pieces that are either nice or cheap).

Even when he does have something that sounds sort of meaningful, it's never consistent and never feels like it was actually a factor in his reasoning. Like, if he magically doesn't like a game, he'll work backwords from that determination into some kind of post-fact reasoning like "all you do is play cards" or something that's completely useless in telling us about the game.

And, to be clear, I don't hate Rutibex. While I don't usually agree with him, his reviews (the non-ironic-one-liner ones) usually actually say something - and what he likes gives me a good idea of what the Rutibexes in my group might go for.

jmzero fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Oct 7, 2015

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
I actually do still like Cosmic Encounter, but it really does have a lot of showstopper flaws that make it unsuitable for my usual play group (a bunch of randos that stop by the game store on Tuesdays).

For one, the skill barrier of entry is a lot higher than it pretends. Like, at first glance it seems like a simple game of Play Big Card Win Game, but to actually play well enough for the game to function as intended, every player should know how all the artifact cards work, how all the flares work, how all the powers in play work, what the distribution of attack cards is, etc. etc. A lot of casual players have already started tuning out the explanation of the rules by the time you try to explain how compensation works!

For another, the powers are badly imbalanced to each other, to the extreme that there are literally powers that are exactly the same as other, but one is strictly better than the other (Empath vs. pacifist, for example.)

Neither of these problems have to exist, but because CE is so old and so revered, there's a huge backlash against any proposal to tighten the game up, discard the poo poo that doesn't work, and overall bring it up to modern standards. Hell, FF had people angry at them because the old 'If you have this card you can literally cheat as much as you want, go nuts' card became optional instead of standard.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Here's a topic we haven't yet touched on in this thread:

What are y'alls favorite blogs about board games? I know we have a few people who run or host their own - share your links! I need more to read about board games because my inaugural game of Caylus fell through thanks to reflooring problems in my apt.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Impermanent posted:

What are y'alls favorite blogs about board games? I know we have a few people who run or host their own - share your links! I need more to read about board games because my inaugural game of Caylus fell through thanks to reflooring problems in my apt.

Honestly, Shut up & Sit Down and here are about the only places I peruse. :shrug:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I should probably read Garfield's book. I took a couple game theory courses as part of an Econ degree. Game design is a different animal, but it's funny to see some game mechanics that match perfectly with the "classic" game theory setups.

I still insist that the best way to learn game theory as an economics concept is from a gregarious German who wears mens' capri pants with dress socks and loafers.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Impermanent posted:

Not a blog, but Heavy Cardboard and the Punching Cardboard podcasts are enjoyable to listen to. Punching Cardboard even reviews scotch, so it's doubly worth listening to!

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Impermanent posted:

I stalk qwertymartin a bit on bgg via subscribing. That sounds weird, but he tends to post in some interesting geeklists and blogs and stuff. I also like to watch Joel Eddy's video reviews for games to get a first glimpse. We don't always perfectly align on tastes (my avatar) but often we do. He has a broad range of stuff he likes, from COIN to Euros to Wargames to Ameritrash to Lifestyle games, etc.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

esquilax posted:

Does anyone have recommendations for a storage solution for Mage Knight?

The Broken Token organizer is high quality, fits all the expansions, and drastically reduces setup and teardown time.

http://www.thebrokentoken.com/magic-night-organizer/

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

CaptainRightful posted:

The Broken Token organizer is high quality, fits all the expansions, and drastically reduces setup and teardown time.

http://www.thebrokentoken.com/magic-night-organizer/

Seconded. It's really good.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Speaking of Mage Knight, has WK mentioned anything about fixing/replacing Shades of Tezla's components?

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I broke it out a while ago and I can't imagine greenlighting a proof of it. Tokens are visibly different size and thickness. Manual doesn't fit the box and is printed in some micro typeface I genuinely find hard to read. Sure my eyes aren't what they used to be but dang.

You know though, even the Lost Legion cards are a lighter shade on the backs. I can spot the LL cards in decks just by looking.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Fat Samurai posted:

Good game design. I'm pretty sure the randomness will help the new players win some of the games and not feel bad when they lose with only 5% of the points of the winner.

Given that it takes an 11-card combo to pull off, I'd say it's fine.

Bottom Liner posted:

Pretty sure that your scenario would be the same as a competitive MtG player busting out a top tier combo deck and walloping someone with a store bought starter deck. That's not a good way to judge the game for either side. Very few games work well with someone that has a lot of experience vs. a new player. Good Ascension players are often racing towards the broken combos and getting their first or denying makes for an interesting game.

It's actually a comedy strategy, that's so hilariously ineffective that it took me nearly 20 games against the easiest AI to actually do it. You need a near-unfathomable amount of chance to get every single card you need and to have all the flops work in your favor, and you're guaranteed to lose every single game you don't actually pull it off.

So, in essence, a sub-5% chance to actually even have a shot at doing it, and another sub 5% chance to combo the deck off it (every other scenario you lose hard). That is, assuming your opponent doesn't take any of the multiple cards you need to do it, or they don't get removed from the center row (and you're playing with the specific sets they require). Sure, once you pull it off, you just win the game right there, but the circumstances for doing so make it all but worthless in everything other than a "I wonder if this could actually happen".

It's like the turn 0 win in Magic that has a 1/205,000 chance of working, and it takes an entire deck built specifically around it.

Cards required:
3 Deathdealer Nobles (of 3 total in the deck)
1 Emri the Unmaker (of 1), transformed with 8+ Monsters in the void
1 Dhartha the Eternal (of 1)
2 Oziah's Familiar (of 2)
1 Remus, Pack Guardian (of 1), transformed
1 Daybreak Askara (of 1)
1 Xeron, Lord of Deofol (of 1), defeated by you
1 Adayu the Serene (of 1), transformed from defeating Adayu the Tormented

I don't know how to calculate odds of this, but you basically need 11 cards in a deck of 150, of which you need exactly every copy of (so there are no "extra" copies you can give up). Your opponent can't take them, and you can't lose them to the void, in addition to a thin, draw-heavy deck (you need to be able to cycle your entire deck in one turn, but it doesn't matter specifically which cards you use to do it).

Copy Adayu with the Askara, which gives you 3x the effect, and have 3 Deathdealer Noble in play. Thus, every Void Hero you play gives you 6 Power. When you defeat a hero with Xeron, you gain its effect like you played it, so defeating a Void Hero in the center gives you 6 power (so a 2-rune void hero would give you a net 4 power, plus whatever its hero ability is). Emri lets you re-kill things in the void you've already killed once, Remus lets you use your runes as power to keep the combo going, and Oziah's Familiars give you 2+ additional honor per Enlightened kill because they kill cultists. Dhartha gives you a free card each time you kill something and it also draws with Adayu, so you can continue to play anything you acquire.

Optimally, you clear the entire deck in one go, and the only monsters left are the Sower of Betrayal and Sower of Discontent, which give you 30-60 honor each because you've played so many Void Heroes. If you use Emri you can defeat them multiple times in the void and when they reshuffle, since the deck will be nothing but monsters.

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Oct 8, 2015

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

canyoneer posted:

I should probably read Garfield's book. I took a couple game theory courses as part of an Econ degree. Game design is a different animal, but it's funny to see some game mechanics that match perfectly with the "classic" game theory setups.

I still insist that the best way to learn game theory as an economics concept is from a gregarious German who wears mens' capri pants with dress socks and loafers.

It's pretty cool. The Games with Garfield podcast was pretty good, too. His tweedy voice :allears:

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Impermanent posted:

If you're interested in higher level discussion about game design, Kevin Nunn's blog at kevingnunn.com is pretty good.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
The best game mechanic is having tokens that you can stack in such a way to make it look like your pieces are having an orgy.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Let me tell you about organizing credit pools in netrunner

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
I got to have the titty miniatures discussion in person tonight. The guy who brought it up (because he just Kickstarted it) was playing the role of Rutibex, but not quite as infuriating. I did my best but I think the only person I had convinced was myself. Sadly my GF thinks I was just whining and being too PC about the whole thing, so she was on his side.

Also one of the newer guys in our weekly group got about 2 sentences into 9/11 Trutherism before I loudly shut him down. This was after he had gone on about how Bill Cosby was getting a bad rap and nothing had been proven etc etc. Let me tell you, that was an awkward game of Eminent Domain that I taught afterwards. I ended up leaving a bit early instead of sticking around for additional games.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
As usual, there is no greater sin than Just Wanting To Play Some Games, Dammit.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.
Had a successful / totally overboard trip to the FLGS tonight. Picked up Pandemic Legacy, Game of Thrones 2nd Edition, La Boca, the BSG Broken Token insert, and a new copy of Risk Legacy since my last group disbanded after 5 games.

Almost picked up the Mage Knight Broken Token insert as well but I wasn't sure if it fit the new expansion, and then I just got home and read your comments above :(

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Big McHuge posted:

Sadly my GF thinks I was just whining and being too PC about the whole thing, so she was on his side.

:sever:

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I have a copy of Eclipse that's open, but is literally unplayed and is in immaculate shape. What's a fair price for it?

:agreed:

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
Edit: ^^ I'd go 45 or 50 for Eclipse, if I was selling locally.

It took me a long enough time to find a girl who will play games, let alone enjoys stuff like Tash Kalar and Twilight Struggle.

Anyways, has anyone played the expansion to Istanbul? I wasn't even aware there was an expansion coming out for it till I saw it on the shelf today.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Played Mottainai, Game of Thrones 2nd ed LCG, Welcome to the Dungeon, and Lords of Xidit tonight. It was a good night. Game of thrones is so good, some of the best thematic design I've ever seen in a card game. Mottainai went over well with 3 new players, even though they were all miffed that it ends immediately when a player builds a 5th work on one side, especially since I went first and finished my 5th work first and they thought that was unfair. The game is all about timing and ending the game at the right moment.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I really like mottainai and feel like it sidesteps most of the problems with single deck games. But I'm a dirty hippie that likes twilight struggle too.

Impermanent fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Oct 8, 2015

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I finally played Norenberc today after owning it for 3+ years.

It is an excellent supply and demand-based euro.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I (finally) won my first decisive victory in a five-player game of Kemet the other day after copious near misses. I'm especially pleased as I did it without any of the +1 strength tiles and without going last on the final day phase. It turns out that the white tile which gives you prayer points for every unit you kill pairs really, really well with all those sources of extra bloodshed. I felt like I got off to an awkward start but it wasn't long before everything was humming away and I ended the game with 10 VP altogether. Feels pretty good.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

jmzero posted:

Further edit: the video makes the same case, it's just obfuscated because video game design theory is a moronic backwater (no, really, it's terrible).

I wonder if this is in large part because historically so many video game 'designers' seem to be programmers first.

Board game designers tend to be game designers first, not people who are making a board game because they like crafting meeples or drawing pictures of wheat.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

PRADA SLUT posted:

Given that it takes an 11-card combo to pull off, I'd say it's fine.

Given that I was arguing against the idea that Ascension has an advantage over Dominion because it's dependance of luck allows new players to stand up to veterans, I'd say it's not.

A new player will have no idea this combo even exists, so even if the stars align he'll not know how to take advantage of it. This also applies in less extraordinary situations. High luck-dependence benefits better players, until the game is so dumbed down that it's literally a coinflip.

I understand how once in a blue moon that thing is.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
Wow, I didn't realize Pandemic Legacy is out

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

1846 slated for summer production, per GMT news letter.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
This guy has such a cute idea about the map.

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

If you take those sheep again I will bury this fucking axe in your skull.
Took a whole bag of games with me for a week long canal boat holiday and we basically just played Roll for the Galaxy all the time. Getting the upcoming expansion for sure, I think if Roll needs anything it's a bigger selection of starting Factions and Home Worlds. My friend and I had some very close games, the last game I managed to ramp up a serious Development engine. Some early developments with big Reassignment powers meant that I could basically put my dice wherever I wanted, and I got lucky with the Explore phase and drew the 6+ developments that give the bonuses related to total development cost and total reassign development cost. Popped out another two 6+ developments, just because I could, and finished on a nice high 60s score.

Introduced both my dad and my friend to Panamax which went down very well, especially when we finally got the rules right (I'd forgotten the rule that buying a share in a company increases that company's value by $1 lol). It's definitely a keeper and I think my dad was really grateful to be playing something other than Carcassonne all the time against my mother.

Which leads me on to a question. We were talking about Panamax in the pub one afternoon and dad, being an avid fan of the steam railways (he was a proper train-spotter nerd as a kid in the 50s/60s) asked if there were any games with a company management mechanic like Panamax but set during the golden age of steam. I can hear all the 18XX nerd boners already. So what's a good entry level 18XX for dad and I to try out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world into some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise.

Hello boardgame thread. What games would you recommend for a group of players who are more or less new to boardgames but have played a lot of MtG, D&D, etc? I think my friends are pretty drat good at strategic thinking so I'd like something with a lot of depth for them to chew on. I guess I want something with a similar appeal to Magic but without the part where I always lose because I don't want to spend $200+ on a deck.

2 games I've read about that sound cool are Puzzle Strike and Dungeon Petz. Are either of those any good?