Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Allen Wren posted:

my point is I don't remember any of this apocalypse stuff, but I also read (the first three books of) Shannara when I was like 12, so

I remember the books were set in a post-apocalyptic future. a post-apocalyptic future that happens to be middle earth. I never even understood what the loving point of that whole thing was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Speleothing posted:

I can't help but get the feeling from the trailer that this will be another hamhanded 'cops good, protests bad' message a la Dark Knight Rises.

From the trailer I had absolutely no idea what the story was, I just thought the director liked guns and colour.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
IIRC in Shanarra they're druids, not wizards, and when they fall they're definitely not Nazgul, no sir. Also, didn't the author quickly go super rapey and anti feminist?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Some of the best books can fall into super rapey territory, even Dune.

Of course, it's the women raping the men. Except for ghola Duncan Idaho who knows how to rape them back. It isn't until Duncan meets his match and they rape each other that they fall deeply in love.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

*moves Dune down another couple of notches on to-read list*

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Lurdiak posted:

*moves Dune down another couple of notches on to-read list*

The first one is fine. From what the bad thread tells me, it's book 4 or 5 where it becomes the insane ramblings of a rapey weirdo.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I love all the Dune books written by Frank Herbert. I love his insane brilliant ramblings in the later books.

It's anything written by his son and that other hack that is total and complete sacrilegious dreck.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Kevin J. Anderson is the ultimate hack.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
The Good

The Bad

The Ugly

And if you haven't seen the awesome trailer yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZbwtHi-KSE

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I love how Patrick Wilson has turned "furrowed brow, mouth slightly open" into a successful acting career

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

morestuff posted:

I love how Patrick Wilson has turned "furrowed brow, mouth slightly open" into a successful acting career

Man, I love Patrick Wilson. He knows he's got those milquetoast, buttoned-down looks and subverts them any chance he gets.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

morestuff posted:

Patrick Wilson is like the male equivalent of lead actresses in romance movies that are pretty but not so amazingly gorgeous as to be intimidating to their target audience, he's handsome and fit but in a non-threatening way because 90% of the time he's playing somebody who is going to be impotent and/or victimized.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
Can't wait to see him in Fargo!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Attitude Indicator posted:

I remember the books were set in a post-apocalyptic future. a post-apocalyptic future that happens to be middle earth. I never even understood what the loving point of that whole thing was.

There was a prequel series that explained how the transition worked. Basically there was always magic around but it was mostly contained in modern times. Then the bad guys won and destroyed everything and wild magic came back into the world.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Every time I see Patrick Wilson's name there's a split second I think people are talking about Patrick Warburton and get excited.

Edit: not that I would kick Patrick Wilson out of bed or anything.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You probably have that backwards.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Dillbag posted:

IIRC in Shanarra they're druids, not wizards, and when they fall they're definitely not Nazgul, no sir. Also, didn't the author quickly go super rapey and anti feminist?

You're probably thinking of Terry Goodkind and the terrible Sword of Truth books. Terry Brooks wrote the Shanarra books and I don't remember anything especially terrible from when I read them as a teenager.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Bar Crow posted:

You're probably thinking of Terry Goodkind and the terrible Sword of Truth books. Terry Brooks wrote the Shanarra books and I don't remember anything especially terrible from when I read them as a teenager.

You're right, I'm definitely mixing up my Terrys. Too many loving Terrys in literary sci-fi.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

morestuff posted:

Just like Malkovich turning "mouth constantly hanging open in a o-shape" into a career.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

That's a loving mess of imagery.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

kiimo posted:

Shadowrun is not what I'd call the model for a good show or really anything other than complete nerdgasm.

I've only played Shadowrun: Dragonfall but in that the whole "elves in Blade Runner" theming works on a level other than "nerdgasm".

muscles like this? posted:

That's a loving mess of imagery.

At this point they're just trying out w/e cause the flick is guaranteed to make bank.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Skwirl posted:

Every time I see Patrick Wilson's name there's a split second I think people are talking about Patrick Warburton and get excited.

I didn't even really know who he was (think I may've seen him somewhere, probably the Fargo trailer), so I kept thinking he was Chris Pratt and I was wondering why he wasn't being smarmy or funny or interesting. I didn't realize he was Fargo Season 2 Guy.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Bar Crow posted:

The problem with shanarra was that every book was exactly the same, and had the same lovely ending.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

King Vidiot posted:

I didn't even really know who he was (think I may've seen him somewhere, probably the Fargo trailer), so I kept thinking he was Chris Pratt and I was wondering why he wasn't being smarmy or funny or interesting. I didn't realize he was Fargo Season 2 Guy.

Watch more things with Patrick Wilson!!!!

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

The Good

The Bad

The Ugly

Wanna see dat

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Hat Thoughts posted:

Watch more things with Patrick Wilson!!!!

I do need to get around to watching The Conjuring, I think he's in that maybe.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Hard Candy.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

King Vidiot posted:

I do need to get around to watching The Conjuring, I think he's in that maybe.

Yes.

See also: Insidious 1 & 2, Angels in America, Watchmen, The A-Team, Lakeview Terrace, Prometheus, Stretch, Young Adult.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

LesterGroans posted:

Yes.

See also: Watchmen

Oh yeeeeah. Yeah he was good as Night Owl, but it was kind of a Bland Everyman role so I forgot he was in it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I didn't like Watchmen but it was (mostly) very well cast.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I liked him and Haley in Little Children.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Patrick Wilson is very good at picking roles

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

The Good

The Bad

The Ugly

For some reason I kept avoiding watching the trailer for this because every blurb I read felt like it was giving off a grindhouse vibe, but that looks pretty loving tense. I'm in.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
I hope this isn't just Goon faceblindness but whenever I see Patrick Wilson I always just think that Will Arnett decided to try taking more serious roles.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

You are not alone, most people didn't like it.

Which is cool, it's a little slice of heaven movie just for me. I loved every second.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Just like Malkovich turning "mouth constantly hanging open in a o-shape" into a career.

Or John Cusack turning "mouth open, expressionless" into a career. I don't know how that worked, but I now call that expression "Cusack face."

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

Agreed. I thought Jackie Haley was real good as Rorschach in particular. Funny to think that Arnold Schwarzenegger was strongly considered to be I believe Dr.Manhattan back when the rights were first sold, although I imagine he was considered for a lot of things.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

kiimo posted:

You are not alone, most people didn't like it.

Which is cool, it's a little slice of heaven movie just for me. I loved every second.

I didn't love it, but I think that even people that "hated" Watchmen can agree that it's just about the best adaptation of the graphic novel that anybody could've made. It could've been a whole hell of a lot worse.

I liked it :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Watchmen is solid