Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Justin Tyme posted:

Lmao at getting the boot 4 years before retirement.

Could he do a 4 year contract in another branch/reenlist and retire as an E5 or something or is that really it?

Typically people who are QSP'd aren't allowed to assess into the reserve or guard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Geirskogul posted:

Is this real life?

If he's been faking, he's been doing an amazing job keeping up the act for years. I met him through a sci-fi/trekkie group years back and most of them all turned out to be the pretty broken obnoxious nerd type with the holier than thou attitude. So when I noticed this guy's uberAthiest streak, it didn't seem too surprising and when he let his furriness slip, I was just wondering what would crop up next. He's one of the people I keep in my life to a point as the example of what to ever avoid being.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
Im SFC Shadowwolf Twinkledash and im getting kicked out of the army for making my platoon motto "I loving LOVE SCIENCE"

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I met one of the my little pony weirdos in the army. It was in korea, and the dude just gave no fucks about the army, just liked watching cartoon horses grow rainbows out their rear end or whatever the gently caress they do.

He was a pretty good dude otherwise.

That's my only brony experience so I don't have any feelings towards them one way or the other.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IM1-DQ2Wo_w

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

what a topical and fresh reference where did you ever find that

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Have you seen The Matrix? It's totally rad, dude. Like, whoa. It'll blow your mind, dude. brb gonna go buy a trench coat.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Naked Bear posted:

brb gonna go shoot up a school

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

An officers wife, vegetarian, Aetheist and Cross fit Trainer all walk into a bar.

And everyone knows cause they announce it to everyone.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

A Staff Sergeant walks into an Afghan village.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
Imagine four sergeant majors at the edge of a cliff overlooking a private who just walked on the grass.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

The private falls into the leaning rest position. That's how the green weenie works.

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

A lieutenant walks into a training meeting.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Man I remember one time I stumbled into a 6 AM OPD at a local diner still kinda drunk and the BC gave me the stink eye. He got relieved not long after that for owing the Ops SGM about three grand in illegal gambling debts. That was a fun drill weekend.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Yeeeeeesssssss!

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Looks like no sleep tonight. Had to run to the computer lab with 80 other LTs and print off some certs immediately after work and turn those in, go buy some poster boards for phase sketches, write a completely new 16 page OPORD, study for an exam, repack my ruck for the 55 pound packing list and then wake up for a ruck run for PT, take some kind of tank driving license class immediately after PT, brief said OPORD immediately after that and then take an exam.

I'd be pissed off but I'm too impressed with how much poo poo the army threw at me today.

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!
That's all BOLC is and it doesn't get better when you're a new LT.

gently caress who am I kidding it doesn't get much better even as a captain.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
Army Thread - come for the schadenfreude, stay for the hahahahaha gently caress you i'm not in anymore

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Mike-o posted:

Army Thread - come for the schadenfreude, stay for the hahahahaha gently caress you i'm not in anymore

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Triggs posted:

Yeah I wouldn't know because the board date for my YG is May 17th of next year lolololol

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I finally FINALLY got a doctor to give me a solid path forward. Thankfully he is also a full bird so poo poo will get done.

He also suggested me to get this weird amp thing hooked into my spine and a battery pack in my butt. It will help my pain and supposedly the Army won't let me stay in if I have one. Win/win.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Mike-o posted:

Army Thread - come for the schadenfreude, stay for the hahahahaha gently caress you got mine, i'm not in anymore

QFT

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Soulex posted:

I finally FINALLY got a doctor to give me a solid path forward. Thankfully he is also a full bird so poo poo will get done.

He also suggested me to get this weird amp thing hooked into my spine and a battery pack in my butt. It will help my pain and supposedly the Army won't let me stay in if I have one. Win/win.

Spinal cord stimulator? Those did wonders for some of my soldiers back at WTU. Hope it does some good for you too :unsmith:

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Icon Of Sin posted:

Spinal cord stimulator? Those did wonders for some of my soldiers back at WTU. Hope it does some good for you too :unsmith:

Me too :unsmith:

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man

Icon Of Sin posted:

Whoa what is this? Is there a solution to never ending lower back pain?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Obstacle2 posted:

Whoa what is this? Is there a solution to never ending lower back pain?

I'm going off of memory here...there's a very specific set of circumstances where they'll prescribe one, if there's a definitive cause that an army doc can point to as the cause of back pain and it's one that will respond well to being controlled via :science:. The problems are that A) army docs suck at recognizing anything they can't throw Motrin at to make go away and B) they're not as likely to prescribe you something that'll get you put out of the army, and at a great expense. Since it works directly on the spinal cord it'll probably be some flavor of neurologist that does the procedure (although it *is* an outpatient procedure, suprisingly). It also won't fix the underlying issue, it'll just confuse the nerves sending pain signals to the point your brain ignore the chatter coming from that area. WebMD has an article on it, and although I can't really vouch for them it feels better to post that link than one to the wiki article on it.

http://www.webmd.com/back-pain/spinal-cord-stimulation-for-low-back-pain

e: here's a better article, from the people who would actually be putting the thing in you and starting you on the road to becoming Darth Vader.

http://www.aans.org/Patient%20Information/Conditions%20and%20Treatments/Spinal%20Cord%20Stimulation.aspx

Icon Of Sin fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Oct 8, 2015

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man

Icon Of Sin posted:

I'm going off of memory here...there's a very specific set of circumstances where they'll prescribe one, if there's a definitive cause that an army doc can point to as the cause of back pain and it's one that will respond well to being controlled via :science:. The problems are that A) army docs suck at recognizing anything they can't throw Motrin at to make go away and B) they're not as likely to prescribe you something that'll get you put out of the army, and at a great expense.

I've been out for awhile but I was diagnosed with degenerative disc disease while I was in via MRIs and I got shots for awhile they didn't help. I've been out ~5 years now and its worse but that a significant part of that is because I'm fat now I'd wager. It would be cool not to be in pain for a week every time I lift something over 50 pounds though.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
This morning before PT I was confronted by an angry E6 over my hair and was called "a loving disgrace". I'm honestly a little proud of it. Also disappointed, because I've got a month left in the army and my hair has been much longer in the past.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

The Army: a bunch of dudes fussing about men's hair

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

It may not be interracial, but it is black and white.

psydude posted:

The Army: a bunch of grossly incompetent dudes fussing about men's hair

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Another useful skill for the real world.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

This morning on JBLM, we were informed they were using (sic) "live rounds" for reveille. What they meant was a more powerful round.

Strong enough to set off car alarms, which is exactly what happened.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

I don't think I heard reveille once while I was on JBLM.

e: nvm, it was only once in a blue moon or something.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Naked Bear posted:

I don't think I heard reveille once while I was on JBLM.

e: nvm, it was only once in a blue moon or something.

Yeah, it's always right near the parade field.

iKon
Oct 4, 2000

CAN'T TEST
WON'T TEST

Triggs posted:

If I sat down and figured out the single biggest wastes of time in my entire life, traffic would probably be #1. #2 would be QTB slides.

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

psydude posted:

The Army: a bunch of dudes fussing about men's hair

The kind of useless fuckface that wastes any kind of energy worrying about hair and nails and whether a pencil fits under a boot heel makes me all grumpy and ranty.

Short version: The army sucks at picking people to be in charge of things, so you have a whole shitload of people who have no idea how and may genuinely never be able to just kinda flailing around while playing the army game. So you get a bunch of people who know how to look good without ever actually being good. Empowerment was the greatest trick the generals/admiralty ever played on the enlisted.

Soulex posted:

This morning on JBLM, we were informed they were using (sic) "live rounds" for reveille. What they meant was a more powerful round.

Strong enough to set off car alarms, which is exactly what happened.

I love the idea of them loading an old-timey cannon round, then everyone acting surprised when it obliterates some poor bastard's office.

Suntan Boy fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Oct 9, 2015

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Guy who delivered my Papa Johns lastnight is a 33 year old active duty E-6.

What the hell is going on in the Army?

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man

Booblord Zagats posted:

That is sad as hell. Who are they even finding these days to sign up? If anyone knows someone considering enlisting please point them to this thread/my video of sitting in equipment cages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Booblord Zagats posted:

Peace broke out

• Locked thread