Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Wolpertinger posted:

I keep hearing about twilight forest - what's the best way to play it? by itself? Is there a modpack for the best experience?

It depends. Most modpacks make the challenges trivial, particularly if they give you flying. I would go for twilight alone at least once, it's pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

twilight forest has its own sense of progression to it and has gear you can make from the stuff you kill. you'll need to gear up with vanilla junk first before you can tackle the first boss, though. it's super easy to cheese some fights which is fine by me since minecraft combat is horrible and i was more interested in the mod for the neat visuals (of which it has a lot) and the cool loot.

Jvie
Aug 10, 2012

Magres posted:

everything's cooler at night, but at the cost of having to worry about mobs everywhere.

I was actually going to make it be eternal daytime but I really like the thought of players going on a mad dash to get something from a hot area before the sunrise.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Jvie posted:

I was actually going to make it be eternal daytime but I really like the thought of players going on a mad dash to get something from a hot area before the sunrise.

Ooooh yeah. Hell, I think doing the straight Hotness/Coolness simple system with night-time dropping the Hotness on stuff by a zone or three's worth of Hotness hits a bunch of best of both worlds stuff from both the ideas we have - it uses two extremely simple systems to soft gate new areas, cause it's hard gated, but only half the time. It also splits the player's experience into phases of generally gathering stuff at night and doing things during the day to use their loot to progress, and I think that can go in some interesting places.

Any idea what you're planning as far as penalties for death goes? Dropping your whole inventory on death is overly punitive, particularly when the gear you have directly correlates to what areas you can access and you might be locked out of recovering your stuff, but if death doesn't have any sting at all, then the sun rising and frying you is just a free trip back to base.

E: vvv sweet

Magres fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Oct 8, 2015

Jvie
Aug 10, 2012

I wrote some stuff about death and items in an earlier post. I think something similar to Blightfall's currency system would also be good.

Edit:

That'd put the player on pretty slippery slope.

VVVVVVV

Jvie fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Oct 8, 2015

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

every time you die the world gets mildly hotter

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
holy poo poo can there be water slides that you build that both shoot you from once place to another and also cool you off on the way

the best slippery slope

(Actually if you had areas of extreme heat separating slightly cooler areas, the ability to build a cooled path between them to get back and forth quickly would be pretty neato)

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Jvie posted:

I wrote some stuff about death and items in an earlier post. I think something similar to Blightfall's currency system would also be good.

Edit:

That'd put the player on pretty slippery slope.

VVVVVVV

i mostly see it as a way to implement a limited life system that makes 'sense' with the setting. mostly i was thinking it'd be a -really- small amount with each death. if there would be ways to start mildly cooling off the planet then it could be offset if you just avoid dying.

Jvie
Aug 10, 2012

I found Blightfall's teleport network to be pretty good solution. I intend the world to be pretty large so there's room to hide stuff. Would it sound annoying to have a cost attached to the teleporters? I thought of it like, the first N waypoints are free to activate but after that you need to feed energy into the network or any waypoints past the first ones get deactivated. I'd ike there to be stuff for the player to actually use their resources and big reactors for rather than just watch energy cells fill up.

Teleporters are probably what I'll go with. Altough if Thermal Dynamics gets updated with those transport pipes...

Edit:
I'll try to implement a kiddie waterslide at some point if it doesn't turn out to be a massive pain. I might sound like I'm serious about this project but trust me, I just want to put all of my stupid ideas into Minecraft.

Jvie fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Oct 8, 2015

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Having a light cost to the teleporters wouldn't be bad, particularly if it's a tech oriented modpack.

yeessssss stupid kiddie sliiiideesss

Jvie
Aug 10, 2012

A bit more on that resource thing. Like I said, I'd like to give the players an actual need for the kind of production capabilities they have access to. Agrarian Skies kind of does that with the hoarding quests but I'd like to do something more naturally tied to the game world. For example, the cost of maintaining the teleport network would probably go up exponentially with each waypoint to give a strong incentive to scale up your power production, or decide carefully what places you want to have fast access to. Another idea I had was a portal to a different dimension kinda like the Botania portal in that it takes a lot of power to open but justa small amount to maintain after that.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

have it so that portals take you to a frigid planet and your goal is to try and equalize both in temperature using components from each other.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

I haven't played this in years. Whats a good modpack for fun fuckaround play, like cool building blocks or spells or fishing/farming stuff. I don't want to build a computer than can play minecraft in minecraft or complex tekkit like mods.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

have it so that portals take you to a frigid planet and your goal is to try and equalize both in temperature using components from each other.

Make the planet tidally locked so once side is perpetuallly roasting daytime and the other is freezing night and you have a long thin band that's just right, albeit perpetual twilight.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Wolpertinger posted:

I keep hearing about twilight forest - what's the best way to play it? by itself? Is there a modpack for the best experience?

As far as I know there is no modpack built around it. Twilight forest is an oooollld mod that started, IIRC, before forge was even a thing. But it's also still getting updated (albeit slowly), and its content is fantastic.

Thematically it's by far the most cohesive and extensive mod, bar none. The amount of content it adds is immense, and it all fits together extremely well with great built-in progression mechanics - playing through it is a total blast. As mentioned, if you have the tools from other mods the danger and tension goes away super fast, so you should at least try it out as its own thing.

I highly recommend everyone plays it and I will always put it in any modpack I create as long as it still exists.

No Such Thing posted:

Make the planet tidally locked so once side is perpetuallly roasting daytime and the other is freezing night and you have a long thin band that's just right, albeit perpetual twilight.

And make that band twilight forest :c00lbert:

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Taffer posted:

Thematically it's by far the most cohesive and extensive mod, bar none. The amount of content it adds is immense, and it all fits together extremely well with great built-in progression mechanics - playing through it is a total blast. As mentioned, if you have the tools from other mods the danger and tension goes away super fast, so you should at least try it out as its own thing.

There are so many things in that mod that I hope make their way over to vanilla someday. The trees, the birds, the underground plantlife, you can see the effort everywhere. The bosses and crafting materials were also a nice idea, but still too clunky to be truly fun. Hopefully as the base game itself evolves, the mod will adapt. It can only benefit from the changes to the fighting system.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

having a traveler's belt from botania made doing the twilight forest less of a pain travel-wise, but yeah, any sort of flying or whatever would kinda ruin the experience. i had that high-jump rod from botania as well but that didn't exactly let me cheese much if at all. having some quality of life gear is recommended, but anything beyond is just spoiling the fun.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

No Such Thing posted:

i'm actually entirely for the idea of using elements from opposing 'biomes' to cancel each other out and make a neutral, hospitable one.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
I had my own idea of a adventure modpack that revolved around a gigantic sprawling space station that you had go reclaim and rebuild/repair critical systems to open up new areas of the space station so you could use their unique recources or with machines and setups already done and/or does things cheaper than you could do it your self.

These sections would have a few different ways to reclaim:
1. Kill everything hostile inside.
2. Restore power.
3. Repair critical system (heat shield, cooling system, solar power, life support, etc)
4. Repair holes and rebuild the bridge by hand.
5. Pay a one time price for some materials to a quest box in the section to repair it.

There would be various sections with various benefits once you repair them.

Biodome section would a place to farm crops and animals.

Warehouse sections would contain various materials and some stored machines and machine parts.

A reactor section would enable use of the AE grid, machine sections, and other things.

A space port would contain rockets, space suits, lauch pads etc.

As you reclaim areas and stuff, life support becomes enabled allowing you to live in the area and use it.

There will be planets with unique hazards and rewards.
The earth might not be habitable anymore but you can loot monster infested ruins for machines and relics or just reclaim them.

Another planet may be perfectly habitable but there's no ore there.

Another planet is straight up hazardous and the surface gets pelted with asteroids but there's tons of ore there.

And so forth and so forth. Basically you CAN mine and build everything, but it's easier and faster to explore and conquer.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Sorus posted:

I thought he meant the black particle effects that ate the world around them and spawned more rifts.

Yeah, those. They'd gently caress up the area around them and cause total Enderman invasions. And sometimes they seemed to just show up naturally over oceans and stuff.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

having a traveler's belt from botania made doing the twilight forest less of a pain travel-wise, but yeah, any sort of flying or whatever would kinda ruin the experience. i had that high-jump rod from botania as well but that didn't exactly let me cheese much if at all. having some quality of life gear is recommended, but anything beyond is just spoiling the fun.

My embarassing Twilight Forest story is getting wrecked by a lich king the first time I flew in wearing my power armor from MPS and expecting the railgun to ruin these fuckers like it did everything else. :( Tconst rapiers and the wands from TForest itself trivialize liches but they still beat me right the gently caress up and blew all my gear to poo poo to rub it in, once.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
So are any other recent HQM packs worth playing? People have said Obscurity is okay if you have friends or know the mods pretty well.
Also I guess I didn't realize Crash Landing never updated for 1.7.? Huh.

I'm seeing a few others get a lot of mention (though not in this thread), mostly with popularity on the FTB launcher. Banished, Refuge, Hubris, and Void World to name a few. Anyone know if these are even worth loading?

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

So are any other recent HQM packs worth playing? People have said Obscurity is okay if you have friends or know the mods pretty well.
Also I guess I didn't realize Crash Landing never updated for 1.7.? Huh.

I'm seeing a few others get a lot of mention (though not in this thread), mostly with popularity on the FTB launcher. Banished, Refuge, Hubris, and Void World to name a few. Anyone know if these are even worth loading?

Have you tried Regrowth? It's got one of the more cohesive modpack experiences I've played, the author has put a lot of effort into tying botania, witchery, thaumcraft, blood magic, agricraft, and magical crops together and making them interdependent. I've barely even touched Mekanism/Railcraft/Buildcraft/Mariculture/Forestry in it, (it lets you kinda pick which 'tech tree' you want to progress up) but they seem like they've got a similar interdependency thing going on too.

I'm curious about the others you mentioned too, though.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Yes, I tried and beat regrowth, but this was several months back. It might be expanded, but I doubt enough so (like Blightfall was) to make it worth playing again. It was a great little modpack that I never felt dragged on too long. Almost Blightfall Lite, in a way.

Jvie
Aug 10, 2012

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

This sounds dangerously lot like "make two maps."

I'm lazy.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Vib Rib posted:

Yes, I tried and beat regrowth, but this was several months back. It might be expanded, but I doubt enough so (like Blightfall was) to make it worth playing again. It was a great little modpack that I never felt dragged on too long. Almost Blightfall Lite, in a way.

Even the mariculture stuff? You poor soul.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

SugarAddict posted:

I had my own idea of a adventure modpack that revolved around a gigantic sprawling space station that you had go reclaim and rebuild/repair critical systems to open up new areas of the space station so you could use their unique recources or with machines and setups already done and/or does things cheaper than you could do it your self.

Sounds neat and the idea of stomping around on a space station, finding obscure laboratories, repairing reactors and raiding warehouses reminds me of Metroid Fusion.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
What veinminer config option do I need to change so I can vein mine moon turf, dirt and rock? Along with other planet materials as well. I'm playing the Galactic science pack again and I figured I could speed it up a bit without actually 'cheating'.

Edit: Unless it goes strictly by ore dictionary names, and moon turf/etc don't have oredict entries that I can see.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Oct 8, 2015

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Ambaire posted:

What veinminer config option do I need to change so I can vein mine moon turf, dirt and rock? Along with other planet materials as well. I'm playing the Galactic science pack again and I figured I could speed it up a bit without actually 'cheating'.

Edit: Unless it goes strictly by ore dictionary names, and moon turf/etc don't have oredict entries that I can see.

You can add whatever, you just need to know the full ID name of the block. You can use NEI to dump all item and block ID names.
The config is called tools-and-blocks.cfg, I think.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

SugarAddict posted:

Do this! the smaller scope of the station means that you could conceivably complete it without burning out first.

Also, I didn't know i wanted to play something like this until just now.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

SugarAddict posted:

Make it one of the Space Station 13 stations.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Nolanar posted:

Make it one of the Space Station 13 stations.
F.A.R.T.S *[145.9] states, "Situation Update. The generator is now a hungry node."

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Fortis posted:

You can add whatever, you just need to know the full ID name of the block. You can use NEI to dump all item and block ID names.
The config is called tools-and-blocks.cfg, I think.

Heh. After taking a look at that file, I realized that moon turf etc are already in veinminer, but I need to use a pick instead of a shovel or open hand. At least I know how to let me vein mine turf with a shovel now, thanks.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

SugarAddict posted:

Refuge has a similar mechanic I believe. I didn't get very far in it before I got sick of the magical crops quests, but it's supposed to unlock more bits of the base as you do quests. It's not especially well put together though, and it's easy to accidentally stumble into locked bits of the base.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Depending on when you played it, Refuge is potentially a good deal better than it was when you tried it - among other things, it has the Extra Utilities watering can now, which makes all the magical crops stuff a breeze

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I found Banished to be very unconventional and in desperate need of config changes. All the really annoying mobs in specialmobs are active, and Geists are really annoying too since they spawn right on top of mobs you kill and poo poo poorly-implemented shadowfire everywhere when they die. For once, the Lycanites Mobs present don't feel entirely out of place since you're in a non-vanilla dimension, but they still look ugly as hell.

Banished also forces you to get Aura Cascade crafting up and running before you can use any of the Ars Magica spells it throws at you. The quest progression is kindof hosed up.

Hubris is... kindof boring? The main problem I had with it is the severe lack of food early on due to lacking easy access to passive mobs and space to farm things in. Also taking taint damage makes you hungry, so if you go exploring overland early on you're gonna starve, which is weird because it's supposed to be a pack that encourages exploration?

VVVVVVVVVVVV
I haven't gotten started with it at all in Banished. All I've done is read up on it and watch a video, and it's a really weird sort of puzzle/industrial mod, where you need vertical space to get the most out of the resources you use to craft things. The advanced aura colors do different things which can be used to increase your efficiency, or something? Anyway I wouldn't compare it to Thaumcraft. You make everything in the mod yourself; there are no aura nodes.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Oct 8, 2015

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
I've hardly used Aura Cascade but it really looked like Thaumcraft spergin but without the fun parts of Thaumcraft. How is it?

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
Has the creator of AE2 nerfed crystal growth speed or something? I remember growing crystals in a pool of water a few months ago and it only took around ten minutes or so, now it's taken me around 2-3 hours to get less that 20% growth. To make things worse, you can't make a growth accelerator without growing crystals the wrong way.

Or have I forgotten something?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Mr Scumbag posted:

Has the creator of AE2 nerfed crystal growth speed or something? I remember growing crystals in a pool of water a few months ago and it only took around ten minutes or so, now it's taken me around 2-3 hours to get less that 20% growth. To make things worse, you can't make a growth accelerator without growing crystals the wrong way.

Or have I forgotten something?

Crystal Growth Accelerators require a fluix block, which is just 4 normal fluix crystals in a square.

A Charger requires 2 fluix crystals, meaning that you need to find a staggering one charged crystal in the wild before you can bootstrap the rest of AE in a sane manner.

I don't usually bother growing pure crystals until I have 5 accelerators.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Jvie posted:

I found Blightfall's teleport network to be pretty good solution. I intend the world to be pretty large so there's room to hide stuff. Would it sound annoying to have a cost attached to the teleporters? I thought of it like, the first N waypoints are free to activate but after that you need to feed energy into the network or any waypoints past the first ones get deactivated. I'd ike there to be stuff for the player to actually use their resources and big reactors for rather than just watch energy cells fill up.

Teleporters are probably what I'll go with. Altough if Thermal Dynamics gets updated with those transport pipes...

Edit:
I'll try to implement a kiddie waterslide at some point if it doesn't turn out to be a massive pain. I might sound like I'm serious about this project but trust me, I just want to put all of my stupid ideas into Minecraft.

I think a good way to do it would be to have a some "basic" teleporters that can get you around places but they aren't all that convenient for the real meat. Then you have damaged teleporters that you can tag and teleport to once you get to them but can't teleport from them until they are fixed, which can be various degrees of expensive. Lastly what about a rare-ish item that, when combined into a recipe more expensive than any repair job, lets the player make their own teleporters? Or possibly just have player teleporters be very expensive.

You could have the player teleporters be something on the level of degenerate technology. The theoretical understanding of the teleporters is there but whoever built them had access to some knowledge the player doesn't. The teleporters already there power themselves and will, at most, need some light maintenance (to make it cost resources you can have the fixable teleporters break and need a little bit of metal or something from time to time - don't make it a often or a lot, that would be irritating) along the way. Player teleporters would require some RF and semi-regular repair because they're crude, brute force versions of the other ones.