Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

PT6A posted:

Ultimately, I don't know if I've actually suffered damages as a result, but it's certainly possible.

I'm not even a lawyer and I can tell you the answer to this one! No, you haven't, and no one is going to award you money because some weirdo made up a story about you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Newfie
Oct 8, 2013

10 years of oil boom and 20 billion dollars cash, all I got was a case of beer, a pack of smokes, and 14% unemployment.
Thanks, Danny.

PT6A posted:

Question about defamation under Canadian (specifically Albertan) law: is it necessary to show damages to proceed with a case? A former friend of mine has gone a bit deranged and has accused me of theft to a current client of mine (not to the police, which is obviously what you'd do if someone had actually committed theft against you). Luckily, that client is well aware of what a loving lunatic the accuser is, but I think it's still harmful to my professional representation even if I don't have any defined damages at this point. Do I have any options?

You just need to show that the comments were made to a 3rd party and that those comments damaged your character in the minds of those 3d parties that heard the comments.

It's probably not worth your time proceeding with the case unless you have money to burn and want to fee vindicated, or the comments are actually harming your business and you can provide evidence and testimony to that effect. If the latter, get a lawyer and don't expect to get much out of it.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

The Mandingo posted:

I got a small claims default judgement (in Texas) against someone who won't ever pay me for it, and all it cost was the ~$200 in filing and service fees!

Just go do $1900 worth of damage to his vehicle in the dead of night and you'll feel better, because you're probably not seeing that money ever again.

Just posting this again...

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Leviathan Song posted:

I honestly thought the comment about him being a traffic lawyer was sarcastic.

Lol. I'm a complex commercial/real estate/oil and gas litigator in Texas, and my firm just so happens to have a municipal law section. The joke about me being a traffic ticket lawyer started because [reasons]; then later, one of our lawyers from the municipal law section left the firm to do his own practice, so now, once a month I prosecute class C misdemeanors for municipal court.

Which includes traffic tickets.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

nm posted:

I love this thread so much.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

tl;dr:

blarzgh posted:

Lol. I'm a...traffic ticket lawyer

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
What, generally, is the legality of fortifying your front door and doorframe so it's harder/impossible for someone to kick in?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

-Troika- posted:

What, generally, is the legality of fortifying your front door and doorframe so it's harder/impossible for someone to kick in?

In the US? You should be fine unless you rig it with explosives or something.
This assumes you own the property, if you rent, it is probably up to your landlord.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

-Troika- posted:

:allears:

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

-Troika- posted:

Do you have or might you have any drugs in your house?

"21 Okla. Stat. 540C posted:

A. It shall be unlawful for any person to willfully fortify an access point into any dwelling, structure, building or other place where a felony offense prohibited by the Uniform Controlled Dangerous Substances Act is being committed, or attempted, and the fortification is for the purpose of preventing or delaying entry or access by a law enforcement officer, or to harm or injure a law enforcement officer in the performance of official duties.

B. For purposes of this section, "fortify an access point" means to willfully construct, install, position, use or hold any material or device designed to injure a person upon entry or to strengthen, defend, restrict or obstruct any door, window or other opening into a dwelling, structure, building or other place to any extent beyond the security provided by a commercial alarm system, lock or deadbolt, or a combination of alarm, lock or deadbolt.

C. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall, upon conviction, be guilty of a felony punishable by imprisonment in the custody of the Department of Corrections for a term of not more than five (5) years, or by a fine in an amount not exceeding Ten Thousand Dollars ($10,000.00), or by both such fine and imprisonment.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

joat mon posted:

quote:

A. It shall be unlawful for any person to willfully fortify an access point into any dwelling, structure, building or other place where a felony offense prohibited by the Uniform Controlled Dangerous Substances Act is being committed, or attempted, and the fortification is for the purpose of preventing or delaying entry or access by a law enforcement officer, or to harm or injure a law enforcement officer in the performance of official duties.

Make sure you put a big note on the fortified door "To stop other dealers from stealing my stash, not to obstruct the Feds, I swear".

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

joat mon posted:

Does getting convicted of violating this involve the prosecutor having to prove the drugs or intent to acquire drugs came first, vs fortifying because you're paranoid and THEN getting into drugs?

Also, that law is weird.

Edit: I don't do drugs or commit any other crimes within my home

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

-Troika- posted:

How do you collect damages from a homeless person who's only form of income is social security disability payments? Are they just basically immune to civil suits?

-Troika- posted:

What's the legality of replacing your mailbox stand with a reinforced metal pole driven into concrete to deter assholes playing mailbox baseball or even just plain running over it?

-Troika- posted:

You are the soul of TFR.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Does getting convicted of violating this involve the prosecutor having to prove the drugs or intent to acquire drugs came first, vs fortifying because you're paranoid and THEN getting into drugs?

Also, that law is weird.

Edit: I don't do drugs or commit any other crimes within my home

Don't have a security camera, either.

21 O.S. 1993 posted:

C. It shall be unlawful for any person to use, refocus, reposition, cover, manipulate, disconnect, or otherwise tamper with or disable a security or surveillance camera or security system for the purpose of avoiding detection when committing, attempting to commit, or aiding another person to commit or attempt to commit any felony. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty, upon conviction, of a felony, punishable by imprisonment for not more than five (5) years, or a fine of not more than Ten Thousand Dollars ($10,000.00), or by both such imprisonment and fine.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

It is unlawful to attempt to not get caught for a crime during the commission of said crime.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

It sounds like a charge they'd throw in at the beginning of a search warrant case then later dump as part of a plea deal to avoid consec.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Tokelau All Star posted:

It sounds like a charge they'd throw in at the beginning of a search warrant case then later dump as part of a plea deal to avoid consec.

Yep, more poo poo to pile on as a plea inducer.
Welcome to the thread!

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Lol wats happening in here guys?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Lol wats happening in here guys?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Nothing, Phil. Reading the thread, having a white Russian.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
So I just saw an advertisement for Celino and Barnes. Nationwide your BEST choice for accident lawsuits.

I see that commercial and immediately think "they'd totally gently caress me over if I was their client". But how would they do that?

Like with a big bank, they have much bigger clients so they would have high fees and not care about me as a client. But this law firm seems to specialize in accidents and I'm guessing lower socio-economic clients. So are they just looking for big cases with large payoffs and then inflating attorney costs?

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Firms who take the cases on contingency take a portion of the settlement.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Lowness 72 posted:

So I just saw an advertisement for Celino and Barnes. Nationwide your BEST choice for accident lawsuits.

I see that commercial and immediately think "they'd totally gently caress me over if I was their client". But how would they do that?

Like with a big bank, they have much bigger clients so they would have high fees and not care about me as a client. But this law firm seems to specialize in accidents and I'm guessing lower socio-economic clients. So are they just looking for big cases with large payoffs and then inflating attorney costs?

Lawyers who advertise for personal injury lawsuits don't have "bigger clients".

They make their money by negotiating settlements as quickly as possible in as many cases as possible.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Don't wait, call 8!

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Lowness 72 posted:

These dudes probably associate with random lawyers in every state too, so who knows what you're going to get.

But I doubt they have many "big clients," like Kalman said they are casting the widest net they can to catch as much herring as possible. They operate on a volume business model. They are going to run your case through the mill and settle it ASAP.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Lowness 72 posted:

Sure. Here's how they gently caress you over.

1) They try to settle as fast as possible. This means taking money off the table.

2) Should they go to trial, their fee percentage shifts up.

3) Should they incur any costs, those costs come out of your percentage of the recovery.

4) The attorney fee portion is calculated out of the whole recovery. So if it's 33%, they get 33% of the whole recovery. Not the recovery minus the medical bills and costs.

So let's say we have a $5,000.00 settlement with $500 in fees and $2,000.00 in medical bills.

The attorney takes $1,666.66 right off the top for him. Then they reduce your medical bills down to $1,500.00. So there's $3,166.66 gone right there.

And then the attorney says, "Ah, I get my fees back." And takes it out of your percentage of the recovery.

So the attorney gets $1,666.66. Doctors get $1,500.00. Attorney gets reimbursement of $500.00. You get $1,333.33.

5) Any real big cases are kicked out to a third party firm on a fee splitting basis.

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

PT6A posted:

It's a recurring problem where he's been accusing me and various of my friends and colleagues of bizarre thefts, and conjuring perceived debts out of thin air. He has some assets, but I know he's leveraged out the rear end and grasping at straws to find ways to service his massive debt load. I doubt I can recover much money, if any, because he's in debt up to his eyeballs, but I would really like him to stop telling lies about me and my friends, especially to current and potential clients.

What are the criminal harassment rules (if any) in your jurisdiction? Best option might be for your lawyer to send a cease and desist on heavy paper.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I have a friend (Jan) who was dating a guy (Steve) a while back, in Florida. Steve wanted to buy a car but couldn't get approved due to credit, and had Jan co sign with him to let him get the car. She also paid the down payment for him because he couldn't afford it, and they made a verbal agreement to settle the small debt of $1,600. Long story short, debt was never settled, he still uses the car daily, it is registered to both of them, and she wants what she is owed from him. What should she do, other than talk to a lawyer? Does she have anything?

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Oct 9, 2015

UserErr0r
May 4, 2006
Replace User
Due to recent events, I was wondering if I can get some clarifications on the terms: retaliation, stalking, and contact... regarding the legal system and civil complaints. I'm leaving out real names and specific circumstances for these.

edit: forget it

UserErr0r fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Oct 9, 2015

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

The legal definitions for all these will be jurisdiction specific.
However, in the context of an educational institution, all bets are off. They can, and are forcefully encouraged to, make up their own definitions, procedures, rules, etc.
What state are you in?
e: Even granting it's a school we're talking about, there's got to be something big you're leaving out.

joat mon fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Oct 9, 2015

UserErr0r
May 4, 2006
Replace User

joat mon posted:

The legal definitions for all these will be jurisdiction specific.
However, in the context of an educational institution, all bets are off. They can, and are forcefully encouraged to, make up their own definitions, procedures, rules, etc.
What state are you in?
e: Even granting it's a school we're talking about, there's got to be something big you're leaving out.

This is in Utah.

edited out for privacy

UserErr0r fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Oct 9, 2015

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I understand your (intelligent) efforts at discretion, but you're kind of starting this story at the denouement, and even of that part, you've only vaguely hinted about what happened, and the devil is in the details.
I don't think bringing up your Googlestalking will help you in the slightest.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I spoke to my lawyer friend, and apparently under Canadian law, damages are "presumed to have occurred" in a case of defamation where someone accuses you of a criminal act. Looks like I'll be phoning my lawyer tomorrow to see how I can nail this prick to the wall (I know it's likely not a money-making proposition, but I'd love to make this guy feel the full force of the law, even if it costs me money).

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

UserErr0r posted:

Third, Bob visiting Bill’s public profile later results in Bill receiving a notification that Bill viewed the profile. This is either through an automated email, or a list of "recent visitors" (I know LinkedIn does the latter, but I don't know about the former). Because Bob visiting Bill's profile directly created a message for Bill, without Bob's intention, can that be considered indirect contact?

That sounds like indirect contact right there, especially since it has your full name on your profile.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

PT6A posted:

I spoke to my lawyer friend, and apparently under Canadian law, damages are "presumed to have occurred" in a case of defamation where someone accuses you of a criminal act. Looks like I'll be phoning my lawyer tomorrow to see how I can nail this prick to the wall (I know it's likely not a money-making proposition, but I'd love to make this guy feel the full force of the law, even if it costs me money).

Awesome, good luck; and try to stay outcome-focused. Be clear with yourself about your objectives and what you're willing to spend to accomplish those.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

The school handbook will have definitions. Utah criminal statutes will have definitions. None of them will make a poo poo. The review board will ignore either or both to reach the outcome they want.

Also, I can tell you that the story you're presenting is not very persuasive. It might be your presentation, the level of defensiveness that's emanating from your posts, or the lack of information (and rightfully so, don't reveal any more), but my bullshit meter is blowing up.

You need to delete your posts, and consult with someone local, whether it be an attorney or a counselor or something else and do a better job preparing for this thing you have. Maybe I'm wrong, but if you really feel like slamming the right dictionary down on the table is the key to success here, then by all means. But it might be more about convincing the panel that you're not a f****** psycho.

Just saying.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

Lowness 72 posted:

They are a volume firm. They take everything including soft tissue. If your case won't pay they won't take it and they have unilateral opt-out clauses in their retainers that let them dump you as a client for any reason (don't cite law, I already know). On that mode you will have a book of 200 clients or so and you hope that one, two, or three a year of those will be something significant. It's a contingency firm, no billable or hourly rates for them to inflate. Get a car accident pi/wd settle it quick, get your money. The industry term for this model is "churn and burn baby" They won't gently caress you over if there is a case and money to be made, but they probably aren't going to try to push the envelope either.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

FrancoFish posted:

I have a friend (Jan) who was dating a guy (Steve) a while back, in Florida. Steve wanted to buy a car but couldn't get approved due to credit, and had Jan co sign with him to let him get the car. She also paid the down payment for him because he couldn't afford it, and they made a verbal agreement to settle the small debt of $1,600. Long story short, debt was never settled, he still uses the car daily, it is registered to both of them, and she wants what she is owed from him. What should she do, other than talk to a lawyer? Does she have anything?

What does Steve say? Does he acknowledge the debt but will "send the money next week when I get paid" and never does? Doesn't return calls/emails? If he acknowledges the debt it may be worth while to ask him to commit to a payment plan and do it in writing or at least email, even if he doesn't follow through.

Seems like a good candidate for small claims court to me, except does he have $1600 you're likely to be able to collect? We know he didn't when the car was purchased. And destabilizing Steve's finances may not be a good move for Jan; if he stops making the car payment (assuming there still is one), the bank is going to come after Jan for the full amount still owed.

It might be possible to put a lien on the vehicle so that he wouldn't be able to sell it without satisfying the lien, but I think that'd still require a judgement against him.

UserErr0r
May 4, 2006
Replace User

blarzgh posted:

But my bullshit meter is blowing up.

edit: nevermind. It's too hard to summarize the thing given that I need to keep identifiable information out

UserErr0r fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Oct 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Hmm, the rights violation is concerning. You may have a counterclaim based off that. What did they do?