Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Hah great name! I can't wait to see what they do now that they don't have the BBC nannystate watching them, and have a gigantic purse of money. Here's hoping we get even wilder and crazier builds like the Reliant Robin space shuttle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Tonight on Gear Knobs, we build a functioning tank and try and sell it to donald trump.

Plot twist, he buys it and uses it to patrol the mexican border.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Petrol Cocks.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
There used to be a cartoon set in a filling station in one of the car mags called "The Petrol Shop Boys",

sigtrap
Apr 14, 2002

MOIST
I lack the brains, you lack the looks...

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Looking forward to challenges where they try to find the Top Gear . . . Knob.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

sigtrap posted:

Let's spend lots of money!

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

mod sassinator posted:

Hah great name! I can't wait to see what they do now that they don't have the BBC nannystate watching them, and have a gigantic purse of money. Here's hoping we get even wilder and crazier builds like the Reliant Robin space shuttle.

I'm cautiously optimistic that this won't turn into another Ren & Stimpy: Adult Party Cartoon, which let everyone know John K is kinda weird without censors telling him not to be.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

sigtrap posted:

Let's make something funny.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
HAY! James May has been road testing the new Ferrari!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcWtAa5gGAo

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
Wish the show were still around right now to make jokes about the David Cameron pigfucking situation.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Hell, I wish Weekly Wipe was on so Brooker could accuse Cameron of plagiarism. :v:

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

Wish the show were still around right now to make jokes about the David Cameron pigfucking situation.

The problem is that Jezza and Dave are buddies so likely nothing would have been said.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

I think this is an announcement for one of the segments on Gear Knobs

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Holy poo poo, they got the 3 together. Can't wait 'til Jennifer's new show airs!

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

quote:

Glad to see the new show has a focus on modest, average cars.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
http://www.topgear.com/car-news/top-gear-tv/chris-evans-new-top-gear-wont-use-same-three-presenter-format

quote:

The new-look Top Gear wont follow the shows traditional three Stooges format, new host Chris Evans today revealed.

We are going to do things differently, because we have to, we want to, announced Evans at the MIPCOM convention in Cannes. The second you wander off into the Well Im the main host, and this is my mate over here and my mate over here if theres three of you, and you go and make a film together, suddenly youre doing what they did. Why would you do that? Because they were brilliant at it, Im not going to do that. One thing is for sure, theres not going to be me and one guy there, and one guy there. Thats not going to happen.

Evans paid tribute to Jeremy, James and Richard, stating he wouldnt attempt to mimick the trios approach. Theyre the Three Stooges, they are the Bee Gees, they are that and Im not, Im me, he told reporters. Im a solo artist at the moment, Im on my own, so do I form a band or not?

His Stigness also made an appearance in Cannes, with Evans stating: I dont want to say anything specific, but The Stig is here today that might be a clue as to whether hes here tomorrow.

However, Evans confirmed his team would shake up TGs tried-and-tested studio format. Were going to change that, he said. I cant tell you into what. I know, by the way, but I cant say at the moment. We are going to keep some things that I like, and my kids like, and my friends like, and that I liked anyway. But we are not going to throw the baby out with the bath water. Evans described the challenge of relaunching Top Gear TV as formidable, calling it the biggest job Ive ever had in my life."
I still am terrified, he admitted. You have to be, and if youre not then youre not the right person for the job

Meanwhile, Chris Evans admits there's only enough room for his ego on the show.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...
I give BBC Top Gear one season with Evans at the helm before it's canceled outright.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
Chris Harris was there too:

https://twitter.com/harrismonkey/status/651697665315614720

https://twitter.com/harrismonkey/status/651825240058789888

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

He's the new stig

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Can. Not. Wait.

We don't know anything beyond "2016" right?

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Residency Evil posted:

Can. Not. Wait.

We don't know anything beyond "2016" right?

I thought it was 3Q 2016.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Fall 2016.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Wow, getting those three cars together would make for a hell of a first episode

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I kind of hope they're gearing up for a "<SHOW NAME> Christmas Special" or something to tease before the regular season.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

8ender posted:

I kind of hope they're gearing up for a "<SHOW NAME> Christmas Special" or something to tease before the regular season.

<Show Name> Hannukah Special.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

webmeister posted:

Wow, getting those three cars together would make for a hell of a first episode
I was gonna say, isn't this the mythical matchup they were teasing for multiple seasons of TG?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I was gonna say, isn't this the mythical matchup they were teasing for multiple seasons of TG?

Yeah, then in one of the final few episodes they said they were really really close to making it actually happen. Then Jeremy went and got himself out of a job.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

I will wet myself if Harris is signed on.

Scrambles
Jul 24, 2003

I WANT IT
Likely just that it's so hard to get all three cars together with the right conditions/permissions that they're both sharing. I sure do hope they cameo on each other's shows though, would be a mindfuck.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Huge_Midget posted:

I give BBC Top Gear one season with Evans at the helm before it's canceled outright.

Yeah this is what I am thinking. Maybe BBC can pull something out with Top Gear with this guy but man it looks and sounds real bad.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

pik_d posted:

Yeah, then in one of the final few episodes they said they were really really close to making it actually happen. Then Jeremy went and got himself out of a job.

I'd gotten the impression that Top Gear was able to get away with a lot of things (being loaned supercars to do stupid things with on a very regular basis) because carmakers knew the show had a massive audience, and it had probably been airing long enough that some of the PR people at various manufacturers likely saw Top Gear as a kind of "known quantity" for advertising.

With basically the entire Top Gear creative team jumping ship to Amazon, the fact that Ferrari, McLaren and Porsche all felt comfortable enough to allow their cars to appear on a brand new show (although there's a chance they were borrowed from private owners who didn't care what the carmakers said) might be a bad sign for the BBC, since it could signal that carmakers feel more comfortable (and think there's going to be a bigger audience) with the Amazon show than a rebooted Top Gear.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Could also be some very boring reason, like the BBC would only work under a certain set of legal / insurance terms which the car manufacturer had to defer to (with Top Gear being on the car maker's side and fighting the bureaucracy). But since Amazon has no bindings they would gladly pay for or sign whatever terms the car maker wanted.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

azflyboy posted:

I'd gotten the impression that Top Gear was able to get away with a lot of things (being loaned supercars to do stupid things with on a very regular basis) because carmakers knew the show had a massive audience, and it had probably been airing long enough that some of the PR people at various manufacturers likely saw Top Gear as a kind of "known quantity" for advertising.

With basically the entire Top Gear creative team jumping ship to Amazon, the fact that Ferrari, McLaren and Porsche all felt comfortable enough to allow their cars to appear on a brand new show (although there's a chance they were borrowed from private owners who didn't care what the carmakers said) might be a bad sign for the BBC, since it could signal that carmakers feel more comfortable (and think there's going to be a bigger audience) with the Amazon show than a rebooted Top Gear.

Are you from reddit? This sounds like a reddit post. Retarded.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

azflyboy posted:

You should probably let the BBC Top Gear show their hand before making sweeping generalizations like this.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

azflyboy posted:

Yeah the BBC is ruined because they lost the hosts to a television programme and no carmaker will ever want to work with them again, because they're all going to take their business to service that doesn't announce it's audience figures. :psyboom:

Huge_Midget posted:

I give it three because

BBC Press Office posted:

Chris Evans has signed a three-year deal to lead an all-new Top Gear line-up.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Scrambles posted:

Likely just that it's so hard to get all three cars together with the right conditions/permissions that they're both sharing. I sure do hope they cameo on each other's shows though, would be a mindfuck.

I can't imagine Harrismonkey's youtube show makes nearly enough cash to film this as a project. However, he's well-respected and may have been able to bum some time in the cars on Amazon's dime. Maybe it's the trio trying to capitalize on Harris's big online following?

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

angryhampster posted:

I can't imagine Harrismonkey's youtube show makes nearly enough cash to film this as a project. However, he's well-respected and may have been able to bum some time in the cars on Amazon's dime. Maybe it's the trio trying to capitalize on Harris's big online following?

On one hand Evans hasn't pissed any car manufacturers off, but could be boring. OTOH Jezza and the crew may feel the freedom to piss more people off and be worse off with regards to people that lend them cars and also audiences.
Either show could fail catastrophically.

For content: Has it been announced which country clarkson, may and hammond are filming their show in?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Fo3 posted:

For content: Has it been announced which country clarkson, may and hammond are filming their show in?

I'm pretty sure Clarkson confirmed the show's still based in the UK. Obviously just like the last time around they'll probably film everywhere they can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

One massive plus: They no longer have to have celebrities on plugging films in order to class the show as "light entertainment".