Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Sex Hobbit posted:

They either aren't pronounced the same or I've been saying Russia-Moscow wrong my entire life. (Family lives in Lewiston, just south.)

In thread-related funtime news at Green Apron Coffee Co., apparently after new year's our goals are going to change to 100% of orders including a food item. Really looking forward to convincing people to spend $7 on two pieces of lovely rubber-bread with a dream of chicken between them instead of going to the actual sandwich place next door and getting a sub the size of their arm for a dollar less. What gets into corporate people?

(Not sure if this belongs more here or in the BFC retail thread, but it's so loving ridiculous I have to tell SOMEBODY.)

I grew up in Seattle, but my grandparents lived there most of my childhood. They're pronounced the same to me, or close enough not to matter. Moss, as in the green plant and co, not cow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
The Midwest loves to do that. See locally Nevada, IA (Neh-vay-dah).

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Minot ND -> "Mine it"

Pierre SD -> "Pier".

Lead SD -> "Leed" (seems excusable, but it is a mining town...)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Second guess my terrible French. Is "Soup de jour: Creme de broccoli" the correct way to write "Soup of the day: Cream of broccoli"?

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.

CommonShore posted:

Minot ND -> "Mine it"

Pierre SD -> "Pier".

Lead SD -> "Leed" (seems excusable, but it is a mining town...)

Why I'm glad I live in Sioux Falls. Easy enough to pronounce.

Not looking forward to winter though. If we're staying as consistently busy as we have been, christmas party season will be nuts.

Feel bad for the servers tonight. It was apparently "stiff the waitstaff" night. Like all big rear end parties with like $600 tabs that tipped like $30. They were all bitching every time they came into the kitchen.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Why aren't large parties getting an auto-grat?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Skwirl posted:

Second guess my terrible French. Is "Soup de jour: Creme de broccoli" the correct way to write "Soup of the day: Cream of broccoli"?

My french sucks but: Broccoli in french has only 1 c

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

JawKnee posted:

My french sucks but: Broccoli in french has only 1 c

Yeah, I don't care enough to fix that.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
That's a queer way to spell "tequila".

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
argh I hate vegan and vegetarian dietary restrictions so loving much

I literally cannot understand them or keep them straight. and I try really hard to accommodate any and everyone I serve food to. (edit : imnotarestaurant)

I had a dinner party last week and I left cheese off a vegetarian plate (because it's made with rennet harvested from poor baby veals and also the milk of suffering caged cows) and the guest poked fun at me for not giving them cheese! what the gently caress

also I have mistakenly given vegans things with yeast and they have been like 'no I don't eat yeast' also wtf. they may have been gluten free too? but yeast doesn't have anything to do with gluten unless its in bread???

gently caress everyone just eat food if its put infront of you!!! if you don't want to eat chicken every day because you think it's a poor environmental choice or don't like killing animals or whatever that's fine!!! I'm completely on board with your choice!!!

just if you're accidentally given something that has an ingredient that you don't like, push it aside, or just eat it that once because it will account for 0.00001% of your annual food intake, and you look like a douche, are probably being ungrateful to someone, and it's just going to get thrown away even though that cow had already given its milk that was made with the poor dead veal stomach enzymes, and your preferences in this case amount to absolutely nothing other than a kafkaesque comedy of errors you dicklicking gently caress.

not angry, just laughin' with the world :)

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
but if it's in a restaurant then sure, your job as a patron is literally to make the staff slave over you and be as miserable as possible in return for money, so that's fine I guess...

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

mindphlux posted:

argh I hate vegan and vegetarian dietary restrictions so loving much

I literally cannot understand them or keep them straight. and I try really hard to accommodate any and everyone I serve food to. (edit : imnotarestaurant)

I had a dinner party last week and I left cheese off a vegetarian plate (because it's made with rennet harvested from poor baby veals and also the milk of suffering caged cows) and the guest poked fun at me for not giving them cheese! what the gently caress

also I have mistakenly given vegans things with yeast and they have been like 'no I don't eat yeast' also wtf. they may have been gluten free too? but yeast doesn't have anything to do with gluten unless its in bread???

gently caress everyone just eat food if its put infront of you!!! if you don't want to eat chicken every day because you think it's a poor environmental choice or don't like killing animals or whatever that's fine!!! I'm completely on board with your choice!!!

just if you're accidentally given something that has an ingredient that you don't like, push it aside, or just eat it that once because it will account for 0.00001% of your annual food intake, and you look like a douche, are probably being ungrateful to someone, and it's just going to get thrown away even though that cow had already given its milk that was made with the poor dead veal stomach enzymes, and your preferences in this case amount to absolutely nothing other than a kafkaesque comedy of errors you dicklicking gently caress.

not angry, just laughin' with the world :)

When I host a party there's always at least two vegan options.
they can 1)make do or 2)gently caress off

Seriously though,vegans eat yeast, it's a bacteria not an animal and if you aren't eating bacteria you aren't eating anything.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
When I worked in a bakery someone asked what products we served that did not have dairy, sugar, yeast or gluten, and got mad when I offered them a cup of water.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

AA is for Quitters posted:

Why I'm glad I live in Sioux Falls. Easy enough to pronounce.

Not looking forward to winter though. If we're staying as consistently busy as we have been, christmas party season will be nuts.

Feel bad for the servers tonight. It was apparently "stiff the waitstaff" night. Like all big rear end parties with like $600 tabs that tipped like $30. They were all bitching every time they came into the kitchen.

Feel that. Tonight was apparently some kind of "yes we're going to split a salad and full order of pasta. Yes we know you offer half plates, but we're just going to split the main size thank you. Oh? Drinks, no thank you we're fine with water" night.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

WanderingMinstrel I posted:

Feel that. Tonight was apparently some kind of "yes we're going to split a salad and full order of pasta. Yes we know you offer half plates, but we're just going to split the main size thank you. Oh? Drinks, no thank you we're fine with water" night.

don't want to order the half-portions? Enjoy your full dish, plus an empty plate on the side

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

AA is for Quitters posted:

Autograt any table size over 6

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

JawKnee posted:

Autograt any table size over 6

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

mindphlux posted:

but if it's in a restaurant then sure, your job as a patron is literally to make the staff slave over you and be as miserable as possible in return for money, so that's fine I guess...

Hi 5 back to IT for money bro

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Skwirl posted:

So I left at 2am. Whoever opens may or may not notice our specials sign says "Potage Du Jour/Crème de Brachiosaurus"

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp

WanderingMinstrel I posted:

Ahahaha, my husband and I do this all the time at this italian restaurant near our apartment but we never ask for them to be actually split and we drink a shitload of wine so I figure it works out.

Grad school is making me want to go back to food service real hard, you guys. Better the devil you know or some poo poo like that, I guess.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Skwirl posted:

When I host a party there's always at least two vegan options.
they can 1)make do or 2)gently caress off

Seriously though,vegans eat yeast, it's a bacteria not an animal and if you aren't eating bacteria you aren't eating anything.

It's a fungus. Vegans buy literal jars of yeast to use as a umami flavouring:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

pile of brown posted:

When I worked in a bakery someone asked what products we served that did not have dairy, sugar, yeast or gluten, and got mad when I offered them a cup of water.

We put a sign on the door warning people with gluten, wheat, or nut allergies to not come in because we were unable to prevent flour and nut dust from being airborne while we were working.

It really cut down on the number of people we had to worry about accidentally putting themselves into toxic shock by walking in.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
For me the worst part is that a vast majority of people doing vegan and especially gluten-free are doing it as a fad diet and have no underlying conditions. It really detracts from the plight of people who have legitimate and severe allergies or celiac. Of course those people aren't squeaky wheels like fad dieters; they just know better. One of the servers where I work has a deathly allergy to celery. Celery. I didn't think such a thing even existed and it turns out to be just as dangerous as acute nut allergies. So that's at least half of sauces out the window, anything with celery salt, or even skin contact with a raw stalk. What that person does when it comes to eating out, is to eat at home. And also have my deepest sympathies because holy gently caress.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

If someone is a vegan or vegetarian and is a massive rear end in a top hat about it, there's a good chance they're a massive rear end in a top hat about other things as well. I don't cook vegan because I haven't found one nice enough that I'm willing to invite over to eat with

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
My boss, awesome dude, is vegan. He's typically not a dick about it at all. We work in wine -- he's the director, so a decent chunk of his job is going out to eat. And boy some of the vegan plates he's seen are downright pathetic. Like, if he just gets 4 vegetable sides or whatever, that's ok, but many places are soo much worse than that.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

It's so nice, seeing my restaurant get talked about in my local LAN thread.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Turkeybone posted:

My boss, awesome dude, is vegan. He's typically not a dick about it at all. We work in wine -- he's the director, so a decent chunk of his job is going out to eat. And boy some of the vegan plates he's seen are downright pathetic. Like, if he just gets 4 vegetable sides or whatever, that's ok, but many places are soo much worse than that.

When you mentioned your boss I thought of the E/N thread about somebody's boss making them awesome vegan salads every day, and trying to figure out how to politely ask them to not do that every day.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
passed this walking out the door. i give up. i give up.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
:lol:

I love where you work.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
i made the dish guys fish that out, and they were all "oh yeah, that pot was in the back with some stuck on food in it so we, uh... were going to take it outside and scrape it out! yeah!"

Which answers surprisingly few of the questions I had for them and raises a few more.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
We just left that pot full of food there to chill. Was gonna dig it out! We swear!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Hey, when it's time to get down, are you just gonna stand there with a pot in your hands?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Willie Tomg posted:

i made the dish guys fish that out, and they were all "oh yeah, that pot was in the back with some stuck on food in it so we, uh... were going to take it outside and scrape it out! yeah!"

Which answers surprisingly few of the questions I had for them and raises a few more.

The omni rules

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
One of the kitchen guys somehow got an actual bit of jalapeno in his eye tonight. I poured him some milk to flush his eye with and watched him spend the next ten minutes trying to get it out before a manager offered to rub one on his other eye so he wouldn't notice the first one as much.

A few weeks ago, in light of our upcoming Steritech visit, I suggested several important detail cleaning tasks I might be able to do if I were scheduled an open day that I could focus on it, because it's too time-intensive for one person to do on a normal shift while running their position. We finally did it yesterday, two days after our 87% Steritech inspection which included five criticals, one of which was a repeat from the previous inspection.

JawKnee posted:

don't want to order the half-portions? Enjoy your full dish, plus an empty plate on the side

This is what we do, owners will not allow splits and I completely get it but it never ceases to amaze me how often people complain. If saving $15 isn't worth the thirty seconds it takes you to move your half of the dish to the provided empty plate, you can't be pleased and I look forward with rapturous joy to the moment you leave the building.

Re: grats, we do 15% on 8+. Vorenus, would you like the 7 top that's here to watch the game that comes on in 30 minutes or the opportunity to be seated with multiple 2-4 person tables? :shrug:

Willie Tomg posted:

Ignoring posted signs and throwing away a large, expensive cooking pot full of food doesn't surprise me. The part that always gets me with people pulling stuff like this is when they don't bother to hide it because they somehow get this lovely notion that no one at all will notice and call them on it.

Vorenus fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Oct 9, 2015

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Willie Tomg posted:

passed this walking out the door. i give up. i give up.

Print that picture out and post it below the other signs.

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009
as a human being you are only ever presented with two choices, give up or give in.

battlemonk
Dec 10, 2008

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Print that picture out and post it below the other signs.

Seconded.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
I'm cross posting this from the woodworking thread, if any Texas goon wants me to build one for them I will do it for costs plus cheap.

My bar made from an 1890s piano

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Skinny King Pimp posted:

Ahahaha, my husband and I do this all the time at this italian restaurant near our apartment but we never ask for them to be actually split and we drink a shitload of wine so I figure it works out.

Grad school is making me want to go back to food service real hard, you guys. Better the devil you know or some poo poo like that, I guess.

I'm sure you're a really nice person, but I hate you so much right now. Also on an unrelated note, what the hell kind of question is, "are we keeping you here?" its always that group who are chatting about nothing who have already paid hours ago. I swear if I ever put my two weeks in at this place I'm going to tell the first person who asks that "no not at all, I was heading out, if you get yourself any drinks just leave the cash on the bar and lock up on your way out! Have a great night"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I work at a place that gives no fucks about that and it's nice. Once closing time rolls around we make it very obvious that you should leave.

What's worse is that we get dicks who call for delivery 5-10 minutes before we close. Ugh.

• Locked thread