Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

Nope, she would obviously become a swim instructor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Prenatual got No Traces on Sahelanthropus, and as I suspected Pequod is capable of doing all the work in the fight for you. What I didn't know is that calling in chopper support during that particular mission doesn't affect your rank or No Traces. Kinda like how CQC against Quiet/Skulls (and Mantis, apparently) doesn't affect it when fighting them. Go figure.

I guess that means there are actually only four missions you can't get No Traces on:
  • C2W, because there appears to be no other way to destroy either the dishes or transmitter.
  • Hellbound, because firing the minigun at the end is mandatory.
  • Pitch Dark, because the only things that seem capable of destroying the pump tank break the rules.
  • A Quiet Exit, because I'm not actually sure why but it may be related to Quiet's timed supply drops between phases.
Hellbound's scripted sequence is probably unavoidable, but I'm curious if there's perhaps some way to engineer things for the other three. If there's some way to knock out Quiet on 45 she might not drop supplies, and if there's some way to finagle a vehicle (or D-Walker?) next to the pump tank on 13 it might be possible to destroy that as well.

Nakar fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Oct 8, 2015

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9
Since the other thread seems to be flooded with MGO stuff, can someone tell me what the 'virtual battle results log' is?
Is this just like... the game rolling dice against another player and one of us wins depending on strength etc? They're definitely not invasions but I can't seem to find documentation of how it words.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hm, does a water gun affect no trace if fired? Because that can definitely be used to ruin transmitters.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Syrant posted:

Since the other thread seems to be flooded with MGO stuff, can someone tell me what the 'virtual battle results log' is?
Is this just like... the game rolling dice against another player and one of us wins depending on strength etc? They're definitely not invasions but I can't seem to find documentation of how it words.

Yes, that's it. It rolls dice, a higher capability score means a higher chance of rolling higher. The person who rolls higher wins and gets points. No idea what determines how many points you get, it used to just one point for a win but that lead to total stalemates.
At the end of the week it calculates you new rankings and gives you PF points.
Except for the PF points you get this system has no influence no anything.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

SynthOrange posted:

Hm, does a water gun affect no trace if fired? Because that can definitely be used to ruin transmitters.

I'm told that it does.

Now I'm sad there's no command to make D-Dog pee on electronics. That would be the best.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Snak posted:

I'm told that it does.

Now I'm sad there's no command to make D-Dog pee on electronics. That would be the best.

You can't make a wolf pee on command!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Fine.

DHORSE GET IN HERE AND POOP ON THAT THING.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Raxivace posted:

You can't make a wolf pee on command!

Wolf dog. Half wolf, half husky. Also, I'm sure Ocelot can train anyone to pee on command.

Also love the fact that BB would never actually pee himself, which is why it's an IV pouch in The Man Who Sold the World

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Snak posted:

Wolf dog. Half wolf, half husky. Also, I'm sure Ocelot can train anyone to pee on command.

Also love the fact that BB would never actually pee himself, which is why it's an IV pouch in The Man Who Sold the World

It should have been piss in the original Awakening chapter, then revealed to have been an IV pouch in Truth.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Detective No. 27 posted:

It should have been piss in the original Awakening chapter, then revealed to have been an IV pouch in Truth.

That would have been a great detail.

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em

Nice.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain kicks rear end.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Alain Post posted:

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain kicks rear end.

I hate to ask, but has anyone tried grappling Mantis? I feel like trying to interrogate Mantis should be a thing that's possible, and is a big mindfuck.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Syrant posted:

Yeah basically it's like a fantasy league based on the total strength of your Combat Unit vs. their Security Team and vice-versa. It's pointless except for the points being tradeable for rewards. The rewards were terrible before the latest patch but now you can buy S+ staff members from the unit of your choice, so that's kinda nice.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Nakar posted:

Hellbound's scripted sequence is probably unavoidable, but I'm curious if there's perhaps some way to engineer things for the other three. If there's some way to knock out Quiet on 45 she might not drop supplies, and if there's some way to finagle a vehicle (or D-Walker?) next to the pump tank on 13 it might be possible to destroy that as well.

Now that you mention it, couldn't you just leave D-Walker by the tank, attract the guards, and let them shoot D-Walker until it explodes?

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Nakar posted:

Prenatual got No Traces on Sahelanthropus, and as I suspected Pequod is capable of doing all the work in the fight for you. What I didn't know is that calling in chopper support during that particular mission doesn't affect your rank or No Traces. Kinda like how CQC against Quiet/Skulls (and Mantis, apparently) doesn't affect it when fighting them. Go figure.

I guess that means there are actually only four missions you can't get No Traces on:
  • C2W, because there appears to be no other way to destroy either the dishes or transmitter.
  • Hellbound, because firing the minigun at the end is mandatory.
  • Pitch Dark, because the only things that seem capable of destroying the pump tank break the rules.
  • A Quiet Exit, because I'm not actually sure why but it may be related to Quiet's timed supply drops between phases.

You loving punched Mantis. Hahah that's great.

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

K so if I know that I'm deploying against like 22 s ranked soldiers why in the hell can I only send five? It's great that they're sending in a truck and all and yeah we have those too but I've also been busting my rear end stealing all these motherfucking tanks that my guys apparently never want to use and you know we're building this secret weapon at mother base that also we're only rarely allowed to use

I thought we were supposed to be outlaw mercenaries what the poo poo is this

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

In It For The Tank posted:

Now that you mention it, couldn't you just leave D-Walker by the tank, attract the guards, and let them shoot D-Walker until it explodes?
That was what I was thinking, use a knock to lure them into the enclosure so they spot D-Walker (but not you) and shoot it.

Problem is doesn't Kaz Fulton out buddies? I can't remember if D-Walker can just outright explode but if it can, does it have to bypass a Fulton damage limit first? If it "explodes" before it's Fultoned, does that explosion actually deal damage? It's worth a try.

EDIT: Oh come on that is the biggest crock of poo poo, Kojima.

Nakar fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Oct 8, 2015

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Yeah, I tried it myself and got the same result. That is some poo poo.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
The indefatigable foe of Punished "Venom" Snake is not a superhuman sniper, or parasite-boosted supersoldiers, or a bipedal metal gear. It's a loving piece of refinery equipment which no touch but his own may destroy.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Can you just not fire the minigun on Hellbound? Sally blew up for me even though my minigun overheated and I wasn't actually shooting at it during its entire jump animation. Wonder if the explosion is scripted even if you just sit there.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Can you just not fire the minigun on Hellbound? Sally blew up for me even though my minigun overheated and I wasn't actually shooting at it during its entire jump animation. Wonder if the explosion is scripted even if you just sit there.

Well, I gave it a shot just in case but Sahelanthropus destroys the chopper if you don't shoot it.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

SynthOrange posted:

Haha for real? That's awesome

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Haha for real? That's awesome

It's actually the only way to take out electronics permanently without causing suspicion.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Alain Post posted:

It's actually the only way to take out electronics permanently without causing suspicion.

Eh, shooting one with a silenced assault rifle works too.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yes but the question was will a water pistol do it without ruining 'No Trace'

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Water Pistol will ruin No Traces

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Speedball posted:

Eh, shooting one with a silenced assault rifle works too.

But then they come over and say it was destroyed and go on alert. Will they do the same thing with water pistols or just be like "Huh that's funny guess it's broken"

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Aurain posted:

Water Pistol will ruin No Traces

My immersion!

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

SynthOrange posted:

My immersion!

Your water immersion, even!

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

In It For The Tank posted:

Well, I gave it a shot just in case but Sahelanthropus destroys the chopper if you don't shoot it.
You also can't lure it away, or disable it (you can defeat Sahelanthropus prior to getting in the chopper but only by means that break No Traces anyway). The sequence is scripted. It's odd to me that they bothered to put in exceptions to the rules for bosses (where CQC is permitted) and the real Sahelanthropus fight (where chopper support is) but not the minigun in 12.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
In mission 12 was Sally just hanging out a couple thousand feet in the air? Apparently with Skullface in its hand?

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

RatHat posted:

In mission 12 was Sally just hanging out a couple thousand feet in the air? Apparently with Skullface in its hand?

I guess Mantis threw him from from Serak Power Plant.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
why didnt quiet give fake snake the terminal vocal parasite disease when she spoke English right in front of him?

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

Eau de MacGowan posted:

why didnt quiet give fake snake the terminal vocal parasite disease when she spoke English right in front of him?

Because copulation takes a little bit to happen

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Eau de MacGowan posted:

the parasites didn't have time to copulate, also Snake has the wolbachia anyway.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Snake vapes so much he can't be infected, Code Talker says when you meet him

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Venom was infected but since he never talks anyway it doesn't matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
well then why the gently caress didn't she speak english right away to pequod?

fake science is bullshit!!!

• Locked thread