Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

PirateBob posted:

Agree. I'm not experiencing any suspension of disbelief from these videos. They could at least have portrayed monsters and weapons that dont match the ones you see in the games.

The alternate universe where that happened posted:

Why aren't all those cool monsters and weapons from the SPECIAL videos actually in the game!!!! This sucks!!!!!!!!!

Generation Internet posted:

This is just a hunch, but I think it's because they're actually advertisements for the upcoming video game Fallout 4 and not actual informational videos from a fictional universe. That being said, they really nailed the early 50's vibe in the videos and I've really enjoyed all of them so far.

You mean these videos illustrating game mechanics in an amusing and flavorful way aren't literal artifacts from the world of Fallout? Gasp!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Once again, gently caress Todd Howard if he doesn't let us drive a tiny clown car and propel it by a nuclear shotgun blasts, I'll mod it in if they aren't there!

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

PirateBob posted:

Agree. I'm not experiencing any suspension of disbelief from these videos. They could at least have portrayed monsters and weapons that dont match the ones you see in the games.

:lol: oh man are you serious

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
Oh god this just made me realize that I won't have any kind of automatic sorting script for the storage in the player house at launch, and no geck until months later D:

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
They're advertisements, you loving knuckleheads. I would actually be surprised if the developers had anything to do with it.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Man I'm gonna be stuck a good while in the initial SPECIAL stat allocation. Intelligence looks so good with hacking + energy weapon mods + drug making

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I prefer to complain about actually retarded things, like the fact that they've wasted a perk slot on Clairvoyance instead of something not for retards, than the out-of-universe cartoons that have funny old-school cartoon gags in them.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

SunAndSpring posted:

I prefer to complain about actually retarded things, like the fact that they've wasted a perk slot on Clairvoyance instead of something not for retards, than the out-of-universe cartoons that have funny old-school cartoon gags in them.

I'm imagining that it's a perk because instead of being a flat open area like previous games, you may have to navigate some areas where the path won't be so clear (like in Skyrim when sometimes your marker is somewhere up a mountain where the only paths up are either a tiny snow ramp right next to you that you are going to miss 99% of the time without clairvoyance or another snow ramp a good 10 minute walk on the other side of the mountain).

Fake James fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Oct 7, 2015

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Geoff Zahn posted:

I'm imagining that it's a perk because instead of being a flat open area like previous games, you may have to navigate some areas where the path won't be so clear (like in Skyrim when sometimes your marker is somewhere up a mountain where the only paths up are either a tiny snow ramp right next to you that you are going to miss 99% of the time without clairvoyance or another snow ramp a good 10 minute walk on the other side of the mountain).

I could've sworn Fallout 3 already had a function like that in the Pip-Boy where it draws a line from you to your next location, at least in interiors. I might be mistaken though and if VANS has other gameplay benefits asides from the breadcrumb trail it might be fine.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

SunAndSpring posted:

I could've sworn Fallout 3 already had a function like that in the Pip-Boy where it draws a line from you to your next location, at least in interiors. I might be mistaken though and if VANS has other gameplay benefits asides from the breadcrumb trail it might be fine.

It would just show a straight line iirc, and not account for obstacles - it won't make a dotted line wind through a canyon for example. It was ok in 3 because it was rare you'd find anything blocking you. The only thing I remember is trying to start The Pitt quest on the north side of the capital wasteland and having to find a way around a small cliffside, but even that wasn't too hard.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Geoff Zahn posted:

More importantly, you don't have to take it (the perk trees are explicitly not step-by-step progressive, just tiered based on how much of the stat you have) and even if you do that's one perk point. Meanwhile, if you glance at some of the videos you'll see that the third tier of the Intimidation perk requires you to be level 50 to take it so I'd hope the soft level cap is nowhere near that. I think you could spare one of your fifty perk points on a dumb thing.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Geoff Zahn posted:

I don't know: If your ingame map GUI and the guiding aspect of your leveldesign both suck to the point where you need something like Clairvoyance, maybe that ability ought to be freely available to all players - regardless of build.
At first glance, this feels like they were starting to run out of ideas when filling out all 70 perk slots.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Raygereio posted:

At first glance, this feels like they were starting to run out of ideas when filling out all 70 perk slots.

Nerd Rage being the INT 10 perk is weird. It's probably been changed a bit, but it's strange to reward that heavy an investment in intelligence with a combat buff.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Imo this is another case of assuming things based on little information.

For all you know there's tons of optional little secret exploration areas that you can find on your own but that clairvoyance points out for you as you go by.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

So VANS might highlight secret doors and objectives you'd otherwise miss? Or perhaps higher levels of it highlight and callout special collectibles like the bobbleheads, snowglobes or posters?

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
A nice use for VANS would be to be able to pick items for crafting at higher levels, and have those get automatically marked on your HUD when you come across them in the world. Especially if crafting is as fully featured as they're indicating.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

Geoff Zahn posted:

I would say this is the reason. They have been talking about having areas that are more vertical than in their previous games like multi-level ruined buildings that are open air.

gasman
Mar 21, 2013

hey now

GyverMac posted:

Link please?

I guess he means this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QYgppF63bI

Starts at about 1:50. I like it.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

gasman posted:

I guess he means this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QYgppF63bI

Starts at about 1:50. I like it.

Yep, pretty much, though I don't remember the original video switching audio channels like that.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy

frajaq posted:

Man I'm gonna be stuck a good while in the initial SPECIAL stat allocation. Intelligence looks so good with hacking + energy weapon mods + drug making

6 looks like the sweet spot for intelligence; that covers hacking and weapon modding for both normal and energy weapons. Not yet sure whether Robotics Expert is gonna be worth going to 8.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Rinkles posted:

Nerd Rage being the INT 10 perk is weird. It's probably been changed a bit, but it's strange to reward that heavy an investment in intelligence with a combat buff.

IMO it makes perfect sense. If you're starting with 10 int, you will be lacking in a combat stat most likely.

Personally I can't wait for more suped up :catdrugs:
My current character is addicted to 5 drugs right now because point lookout lacks a doctor. It has added a lot of challenge that was not there before.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ImpAtom posted:

In an ideal universe I'd buy PC games.

In this universe 7 out of 10 games I'm interested in buying at launch end up being "boy, looks like another lovely PC port" ranging from Saint's Row having a mission that can't be finished if your FPS is wrong to Arkham Knight being lol, so barring a good deal or cheap prices I buy console because while it can still gently caress up it's less likely for there to be hugely crippling bugs. (Bethesda is one of the few companies I can't depend on that from which is why I'm probably getting FO4 on PC, mod support being the other reason.)

Are you really still bitching about Saints Row 2 or is there some other bug in a subsequent game I'm unaware of.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Nasgate posted:

IMO it makes perfect sense. If you're starting with 10 int, you will be lacking in a combat stat most likely.

Personally I can't wait for more suped up :catdrugs:
My current character is addicted to 5 drugs right now because point lookout lacks a doctor. It has added a lot of challenge that was not there before.

Yeah if there's one thing I abused the everloving gently caress out of in New Vegas it was chems. Give me a perk tree that's all about using and abusing and I'm there.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Lotish posted:

Yeah if there's one thing I abused the everloving gently caress out of in New Vegas it was chems. Give me a perk tree that's all about using and abusing and I'm there.

I really loved the trait(?) that let you never get addicted and I was high on like 5 things at any given time. That was my Unarmed Cannibal play through. Fun times.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

There was one mod that added a fuckload of drugs to Fallout 3 and it owned hard. I remember that ecstasy basically increased color saturation up and it made the game much prettier in some parts (like the mobile base in Broken Steel and Mothership Zeta since these had neon everywhere)

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lotish posted:

Just like Dawnguard added a vampire perk tree, the first FO4 expansion will add a raider perk tree that focuses on being high out of your mind all of the time.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Lotish posted:

I think there was a Trait in New Vegas that capped you at level 30, but made you totally immune to chem addiction. It was a Logan's Run reference.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Speedball posted:

I think there was a Trait in New Vegas that capped you at level 30, but made you totally immune to chem addiction. It was a Logan's Run reference.

Logan's Loophole.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

i hope nerd rage is worth a drat if its so high up.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

computer parts posted:

Are you really still bitching about Saints Row 2 or is there some other bug in a subsequent game I'm unaware of.

Saint's Row IV had a glitch where if your FPS wasn't proper there was a mission that couldn't be completed because one of the doors in the spaceship you were escaping closed at the wrong time. A friend of mine got hit by it which is why it sticks with me.

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

sector_corrector posted:

Just like Dawnguard added a vampire perk tree, the first FO4 expansion will add a raider perk tree that focuses on being high out of your mind all of the time.

Except unlike dawnguard and that fucktarded twilight RP, this would be awesome.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Sjonnar posted:

Except unlike dawnguard and that fucktarded twilight RP, this would be awesome.

Eh, Bethesda always finds a way.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Eh, Bethesda always finds a way.

Yeah, I haven't done the pitt yet, but Beth is pretty bad at Raiders. Idk about you, but if i was a raider, i wouldn't shoot at a dude in full power armor holding a gatling lazer with a robot and a trained sniper following him without seeing what he wants. Lazers and .308 rounds go through leather.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
A whole bunch of innocently whistling people walk past J. Fallout, each with at least one extra skull worked into their clothing.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

Nasgate posted:

Yeah, I haven't done the pitt yet, but Beth is pretty bad at Raiders. Idk about you, but if i was a raider, i wouldn't shoot at a dude in full power armor holding a gatling lazer with a robot and a trained sniper following him without seeing what he wants. Lazers and .308 rounds go through leather.

This is basically every RPG ever, though.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Seashell Salesman posted:

This is basically every RPG ever, though.

Yeah, except there's a whole fame/infamy thing in FO3 and factions in New Vegas. So there's examples of NPCs knowing I nuked Megaton on the other side of the wasteland, but they don't know that i've killed over 1000 living creatures? There are systems in place, and i understand they were newly developed, but i really hope they take more advantage of these things with 4

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Having infamy never made faction NPCs run away from you though AFAIK, it just made them more aggressive.

Oh, you're saying that's what the system should be. I mean, I dunno, if I've been killing raiders, usually I want to keep killing them. Mowing down weaklings after obtaining broken-rear end Godhood is my favorite part of these games.

FutonForensic fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Oct 8, 2015

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I'd like it if advanced infamy made more enemies spawn, and those spawns included higher tier enemies for me to cut my teeth on. I know Caesar's Legion infamy would make hit squads of dudes with high end weapons spawn; I want more of that. If I bomb a community, a "sheriff" with an advanced level and weapons puts together a posse of grunts for me, and I get to mow them down while trying to figure out how to handle him.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Well it'd be kinda cool if there were the mooks and then leader type enemies, so if there are no leaders with a group of little guys they run or scatter when they see you coming if you've been wrecking them recently but if they have a leader or named dude who can rally them then they attack you. That's what I'd do if I were Bethesda. A more extensive outfit system like New Vegas would be cool as well, like if you massacre groups of raiders in some power armour then they come to fear you in that but then you can wear something different to potentially talk to them or at least get a more neutral response.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
All of that stuff sounds cool in theory, but there's not much to these games aside from cleaning out warrens of trash mobs. If you take that away from the player by having trash mobs run in fear, then what's left?

• Locked thread