Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

If the Amiga is just used to sequence and trigger poo poo and not actually produce the sounds, it might as well be any other system beefier than a Commodore 64. (I mean maybe you could do it on a stock 64 but it probably wouldn't be fun.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Jerry Cotton posted:

If the Amiga is just used to sequence and trigger poo poo and not actually produce the sounds, it might as well be any other system beefier than a Commodore 64. (I mean maybe you could do it on a stock 64 but it probably wouldn't be fun.)

C64 is used in chiptunes a lot, it has an analog synth chip. Atari ST's were/are popular midi sequencers. Amiga could be used as a sampler aswel as a sequencer.

W424 has a new favorite as of 12:17 on Oct 8, 2015

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
My Grandpa uses a 2005 iMac G5 for his video editing. He used to use a Sony Digital8 camcorder, and he has a firewire connected Digital8 VCR connected to the iMac.

When his last Sony camcorder died, he was forced to upgrade to MiniDV, on a Canon Vixia - it still had firewire so that was okay for him.

He still edits on iMovie on OS X Tiger. When he's done he burns a DVD, and then he backs his edited movie to a Digital8 tape on the VCR. I have no idea where he's still getting all these tapes.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

0toShifty posted:

My Grandpa uses a 2005 iMac G5 for his video editing. He used to use a Sony Digital8 camcorder, and he has a firewire connected Digital8 VCR connected to the iMac.

When his last Sony camcorder died, he was forced to upgrade to MiniDV, on a Canon Vixia - it still had firewire so that was okay for him.

He still edits on iMovie on OS X Tiger. When he's done he burns a DVD, and then he backs his edited movie to a Digital8 tape on the VCR. I have no idea where he's still getting all these tapes.

Your gramps is cool

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Jerry Cotton posted:

I do know of some people who sequenced on a C64. Never saw it in person so I don't know anything about how well it worked but I do remember seeing some manuals and stuff associated with it at the studio I worked at.

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER

Jerry Cotton posted:

Even sequencing and triggering such twitchy and intricate drumloops on something that primitive is impressive to me. All the modern software I use has fancy GUIs and quantization options and I just can't imagine sitting there with a tracker or something trying to get the timing perfect on something that belongs in a museum. I also can't comprehend multitracking albums on tape and am super happy that I've personally never had to deal with it.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

killhamster posted:

Even sequencing and triggering such twitchy and intricate drumloops on something that primitive is impressive to me. All the modern software I use has fancy GUIs and quantization options and I just can't imagine sitting there with a tracker or something trying to get the timing perfect on something that belongs in a museum. I also can't comprehend multitracking albums on tape and am super happy that I've personally never had to deal with it.

The Amiga? Ancient enough to be in a museum? I'll have you know that why yes hon it is time for my metamucil, thank you, also I'm too tired to eat in the cafeteria today, can you have them bring lunch to my room

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

The Amiga? Ancient enough to be in a museum? I'll have you know that why yes hon it is time for my metamucil, thank you, also I'm too tired to eat in the cafeteria today, can you have them bring lunch to my room

I got in on computers pretty late even though I am in fact an old.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

0toShifty posted:

To be clear, Digital8 is just the exact same DV25 codec but on a Hi8 tape.

And my first production class back in high school taught me how to edit on a linear tape-based system, that was fun.

When I was growing up, we had a Macintosh LC running System 7 for the longest time, no CD drive for it, just the floppy drive. We did have a modem for it, and we could get online and do emails (through compuserve) but we couldn't get a web browser working on it. Plus we were limited to the 5 games that were on a 68k mac at the time.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

killhamster posted:

I got in on computers pretty late even though I am in fact an old.

Nah, I wasn't poking fun at you--it was a bit of self-deprecating humor. Seems like it was just yesterday that I was going to trade shows and marveling about new Amiga peripherals and watching demos of sweet-looking games about to be released. Now, people are amazed that the things can even sequence audio. :corsair:

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Nah, I wasn't poking fun at you--it was a bit of self-deprecating humor. Seems like it was just yesterday that I was going to trade shows and marveling about new Amiga peripherals and watching demos of sweet-looking games about to be released. Now, people are amazed that the things can even sequence audio. :corsair:

Same here, I remember seeing the jump from the SNES/Genesis to the N64/PSX and feeling like "we are living in the loving future." and I don't think there's been a console generation leap that's felt quite as big since then.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

killhamster posted:

Even sequencing and triggering such twitchy and intricate drumloops on something that primitive is impressive to me.

That's just because you don't know anything about Amigasmicrocomputers :tipshat:

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
I used to be big into the mod/tracking scene. There was something about writing a song in .it/.xm format by hand, felt almost like a cross between programming and music. Miss those days :smith:

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Instant Sunrise posted:

Same here, I remember seeing the jump from the SNES/Genesis to the N64/PSX and feeling like "we are living in the loving future." and I don't think there's been a console generation leap that's felt quite as big since then.

There won't ever be again. In fact, this is quite possibly the last generation of traditional gaming consoles as we've known them.

The closest thing now will be the evolution of things like the Occulus Rift which have big room for improvement.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Imagined posted:

There won't ever be again. In fact, this is quite possibly the last generation of traditional gaming consoles as we've known them.

The closest thing now will be the evolution of things like the Occulus Rift which have big room for improvement.

There will probably be a Playstation 5. Probably not a next Xbox though.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

There will probably be a Playstation 5. Probably not a next Xbox though.

However, the PS5 might be something more like a Roku or an Apple TV than a low-spec PC in a box.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Imagined posted:

However, the PS5 might be something more like a Roku or an Apple TV than a low-spec PC in a box.

I think that's what the PSTV is, which you can buy in the future....today!

Knowing Sony if they did that it would only work with Vaio laptops, streaming ps5 games to the lil box.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Imagined posted:

Sure, if companies start completely disregarding the entire "places with poo poo internet" market.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

Sure, if companies start completely disregarding the entire "places with poo poo internet" market.

They already do that now. http://www.pcgamer.com/metal-gear-solid-5-disc-seems-to-only-contain-steam-installer/

And we're already looking at the PS4/XB1 generation lasting at least 8 more years. Between extrapolating the aforementioned existing trend and a decade's improvements to broadband infrastructure I think it's not impossible to imagine.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Uhh but that's the point. Consoles allow you to play it even without internet. I mean PC gaming has been dead for a decade anyway :can:

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

Uhh but that's the point. Consoles allow you to play it even without internet. I mean PC gaming has been dead for a decade anyway :can:

PC gaming kind of proves my point, actually. PC gaming is already twice the size of the console market, and it already lives in the "Have good broadband or GTFO" future I'm talking about. I built a gaming PC for myself this year that has no CD/DVD drive at all, and haven't missed that feature once. Ditto the iOS/Android market. The $400 box that plays discs is a dying breed. Game makers would love to kill the traditional console if for no other reason than to kill used game sales, and they'll do it the earliest they can. They would have done it with the XBox One already if the internet hadn't collectively poo poo itself. But beyond discs, I think in the casual gaming market that consoles serve I think they're going to move more towards cloud-computing streaming services and netflix-style subscriptions for content. I think that will go hand in hand with a big decline in AAA games with movie-size budgets. I realize that people have been predicting stuff like this for a while and it's been slow in coming, but ten years from it definitely seems more likely.

In some ways, aside from having a disc-drive, it's already there. A PS4 without a good internet connection would be goddamn awful, and they're already doing cloud-streaming rentals on PS Now.

Imagined has a new favorite as of 19:33 on Oct 8, 2015

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Instant Sunrise posted:

When I was growing up, we had a Macintosh LC running System 7 for the longest time, no CD drive for it, just the floppy drive. We did have a modem for it, and we could get online and do emails (through compuserve) but we couldn't get a web browser working on it. Plus we were limited to the 5 games that were on a 68k mac at the time.

I'm kinda nostalgic for those old systems, stuff like System 7 and Windows 3.11. Maybe it's just the rose-colored glasses, but stuff seemed a lot simpler back then, there were no fancy-pants everything-is-integrated type stuff, it was all self-contained and less overstuffed with useless features.

I've toyed around with Mini vMac and had some fun with the old-rear end games, but still haven't found a good color Mac emulator that'll run anything older than Mac OS 8. At least not one that I can get running.

And I haven't quite gotten around to setting up a Windows 3.11 virtual machine quite yet.

Perhaps it's best if I don't. It'll probably just shatter my nostalgic illusions.

Imagined posted:

I built a gaming PC for myself this year that has no CD/DVD drive at all, and haven't missed that feature once.

I only ever use my DVD drive to rip CDs these days, and I only do that if I cannot buy the album as a download instead, which is getting rare.

KozmoNaut has a new favorite as of 19:56 on Oct 8, 2015

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

KozmoNaut posted:

I'm kinda nostalgic for those old systems, stuff like System 7 and Windows 3.11. Maybe it's just the rose-colored glasses, but stuff seemed a lot simpler back then, there were no fancy-pants everything-is-integrated type stuff, it was all self-contained and less overstuffed with useless features.

I've toyed around with Mini vMac and had some fun with the old-rear end games, but still haven't found a good color Mac emulator that'll run anything older than Mac OS 8. At least not one that I can get running.

And I haven't quite gotten around to setting up a Windows 3.11 virtual machine quite yet.

Perhaps it's best if I don't. It'll probably just shatter my nostalgic illusions.

I only ever use my DVD drive to rip CDs these days, and I only do that if I cannot buy the album as a download instead, which is getting rare.

I toyed with the idea of having an emulated environment running an emulated environment but stopped because it's just too silly.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

KozmoNaut posted:

You want Basillisk ii* for the macintosh emulator: 68k, and it'll run anything up to Mac OS 8, I think. I've never really gone above 7.5.5, since that's easy to find. Won't work if the old games you want are actually PPC only, obviously.

The real fun is running windows 3.11 in OS 9. It's utterly pointless, but still pretty amusing, for some reason. It's also where I realized that if you double-click the [—] button, it'll close the window. For like, 15 years I'd been wondering why the thing that should be a close button just opened a menu. That said, I think I managed to get 3.11 running in dosbox, although running on an iBook, it was disgustingly slow — far slower than SoftWIndows was on an even slower g4.

*NB: I know it was a far older version, but the older Basillisk ii gui had way more options and looked better. These ones are pretty kludgy looking, and only give you two options for what to represent the emulated machine as, versus what felt like the entire Macintosh lineup in older versions. Donno if it helped or anything, but it was nice to match the ROM to the emulated machine.

Zenostein has a new favorite as of 20:37 on Oct 8, 2015

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

W424 posted:

C64 is used in chiptunes a lot, it has an analog synth chip. Atari ST's were/are popular midi sequencers. Amiga could be used as a sampler aswel as a sequencer.

Yeah, and the Atari ST's had Midi Maze that allowed you to make a pseudonetwork between the MIDI in and out ports on the STs so you could have multiple FPS players without the hassles of split screen.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Zenostein posted:

You want Basillisk ii* for the macintosh emulator: 68k, and it'll run anything up to Mac OS 8, I think. I've never really gone above 7.5.5, since that's easy to find. Won't work if the old games you want are actually PPC only, obviously.

I'm kinda wondering if I should go for Basilisk II for the 68K emulation, or Sheepshaver for the early PowerPC stuff. Or both, I guess.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Instant Sunrise posted:

Current gen games look better during gameplay of the time than meticulously rendered PS2 cutscenes. That's still loving impressive.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

KozmoNaut posted:

What?

Seriously, *what*?

Two words: Trumpet. Winsock.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Phanatic posted:

What?

Seriously, *what*?

Oh god you just gave me PTSD flashbacks to those days.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Phanatic posted:

What?

Seriously, *what*?

Two acronyms as well: LPT1, COM1

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
For Mac users, the two words are "Extension Conflict."

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Exit Strategy posted:

For Mac users, the two words are "Extension Conflict."

I
R
Q

:smithicide:

EDIT: This dark period in PC technology is why I still remember what a 16550 UART is.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Wait while I flip mechanical jumper switches on my 1200bps Hayes-compatible modem.

poo poo, I need to boot without my mouse because it's taking up an extra 4kb of memory that I need.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Dick Trauma posted:

I
R
Q

:smithicide:

EDIT: This dark period in PC technology is why I still remember what a 16550 UART is.

I'm pretty sure IRQ is still a thing, even if we don't much need to deal with it anymore.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I haven't had to deal with an IRQ problem since the 1990s.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I remember writing my own .bat files for DOS games to get them to run under whatever Windows I used at the time and there would always be IRQ settings in there.

I occupy that terrain between IT competence and ineptitude where I pulled it off quite nicely, but am not sure if it was necessary in the first place.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Raise your hand if you remember trying to configure your system memory to actually enable Ultima VII to run.

Everyone who raised your hand, keep it raised if you'd rather punch yourself in the dick.

"No fancy-pants everything-is-integrated type stuff" sometimes meant that each game came with its own custom memory manager. Which almost certainly didn't want to play nice with anything else you wanted to do with your PC.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Things got a little nice once the DOS extender loader got popular, probably 93-94. Syndicate was one of the first and I think Ultima VIII had it. Too bad the game was meh.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Phanatic posted:

Raise your hand if you remember trying to configure your system memory to actually enable Ultima VII to run.

Everyone who raised your hand, keep it raised if you'd rather punch yourself in the dick.

"No fancy-pants everything-is-integrated type stuff" sometimes meant that each game came with its own custom memory manager. Which almost certainly didn't want to play nice with anything else you wanted to do with your PC.

Post the very best in obsolete and failed technology: This is not a QEMM error

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Who remembers the dreaded sound of a failing floppy disk? As soon as it started, I knew what was up. Sometimes you could (R)etry and it would read after a few times. Way back when I first got into PC's, I was playing MS Flight Simulator on my dad's business PC. I think it was in 1991/1992 and the game was on a single 5.25 HD floppy. Prior to being able to play, I would have to sit there and (R)etry for 5-15 minutes before it would finally read properly. Not sure why 11 year old me didn't try to copy the disk.

Anyways, here's something create done with those floppy sounds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c52JQHVVqFM

There are a bunch more of these out there.