Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

Panfilo posted:

Martinez remotely pilots the Ares IV mav as close to the Hab as possible. Watney uses the fuel plant the Ares III left behind to process and refuel the MAV and strips it down. It only has to reach Martian orbit and stripping it down can offset whatever fuel is missing. Hermes, still in orbit, picks up the mav.

We don't really know if the MAV would have been able to do that. NASA considered something similar in the book, they would have had the Ares 4 crew land near Watney (provided he lived long enough for them to arrive), strip down and refuel their MDV and then hop it to Ares 4's originally intended landing site but decided against it because it was deemed too risky and unlikely to work. Invalidated by that Weir post.

Senjuro fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Oct 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
I read the book after seeing the film, but I will say this makes for a great supplement. I learner a lot of stuff I had no idea about before. For example, the Oxygenator and the fact that dealing with CO² is a bigger issue than oxygen supply. A bottle of liqiuid Oxygen can last an astronaut a long time. Rising CO² levels will kill you long before you run out of air.

I knew the martian atmosphere was thin, but I didn't realize HOW thin. Practically a vacuum in terms of our fragile fleshy bodies. The peak of Mt. Everest must be absolutely soupy in comparison.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

Interstellar and The Martian were both visually stunning films. I loved them both.

I can get behind this! I liked the cinematography in The Martian better. Gorgeous, lingering shots on Mars, cameras flying through canyons of black rock and the empty, open horizons really helped sell the loneliness on the planet. The Hermes interior stood out especially to me.

Conversely in Interstellar, the criticism of Nolan "doesn't know how to do majesty" really came through - the best shots in the film were of the Endurance approaching Saturn or right after the wormhole and observing Gargantua)- every other shot of the planet(s) were tight, only showed the limb, or a partial view of the planet's surface. There were a few other neat shots on Earth and aboard the Saturn station later, but overall I never really felt like I got to appreciate the scale of the planets the way that I did in The Martian.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

Panfilo posted:

I read the book after seeing the film, but I will say this makes for a great supplement. I learner a lot of stuff I had no idea about before. For example, the Oxygenator and the fact that dealing with CO² is a bigger issue than oxygen supply. A bottle of liqiuid Oxygen can last an astronaut a long time. Rising CO² levels will kill you long before you run out of air.

I knew the martian atmosphere was thin, but I didn't realize HOW thin. Practically a vacuum in terms of our fragile fleshy bodies. The peak of Mt. Everest must be absolutely soupy in comparison.

Don't know how accurate it is but I heard Weir say in a recent talk that NASA's new portable life support systems can separate the CO² out of the air without any expandable filters.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

Senjuro posted:

Don't know how accurate it is but I heard Weir say in a recent talk that NASA's new portable life support systems can separate the CO² out of the air without any expandable filters.

That's cool. The limitation with evas are CO² filters I think. Suits and rovers would have much greater endurance with a sustainable device.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
I'm surprised Watney didn't bring any personal effects like music with him. Was he such a turbonerd the science was his entertainment?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Panfilo posted:

I'm surprised Watney didn't bring any personal effects like music with him. Was he such a turbonerd the science was his entertainment?

I believe Weir once commented that he entirely overlooked that and we should just assume something happened on the way to Mars that messed up his storage device.

Psawhn
Jan 15, 2011
I rationalize that in my head as imagining he left his USB with his own music/TV on Hermes. Because they were only going to be on Mars for only a month and they'd be busy with surface ops he could go without it, and he didn't want to risk leaving it on the surface and going the whole 6 month-long voyage back missing it all.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

Interstellar and The Martian were both visually stunning films. I loved them both.

:agreed:

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Tunicate posted:

Someone on reddit asked what would happen if Lewis had stayed out looking for Watney and been left on Mars. Weir gave an answer.

And he problably gets some pussy.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Here's a question for Weir: how do the improvise condoms if they don't bring any over? What citizenship would the baby get, being born in international waters, basically?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

mobby_6kl posted:

Here's a question for Weir: how do the improvise condoms if they don't bring any over? What citizenship would the baby get, being born in international waters, basically?

The baby would have Martian citizenship duh.

Goddamned earthlings popping out anchor babies! Keep Mars red!

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

mobby_6kl posted:

Per Watney's Space Pirate monologue, the HAB was owned by NASA and therefore US Territory. The kid would be American but good luck becoming President. Show us your long-form Martian birth certificate, Watney Jr! :argh:

spencer for hire
Jan 27, 2006

we just want to dance here, someone stole the stage
they call us irresponsible, write us off the page

a shameful boehner posted:

I can get behind this! I liked the cinematography in The Martian better. Gorgeous, lingering shots on Mars, cameras flying through canyons of black rock and the empty, open horizons really helped sell the loneliness on the planet. The Hermes interior stood out especially to me.

Conversely in Interstellar, the criticism of Nolan "doesn't know how to do majesty" really came through - the best shots in the film were of the Endurance approaching Saturn or right after the wormhole and observing Gargantua)- every other shot of the planet(s) were tight, only showed the limb, or a partial view of the planet's surface. There were a few other neat shots on Earth and aboard the Saturn station later, but overall I never really felt like I got to appreciate the scale of the planets the way that I did in The Martian.

I agree completely. I loved the landscapes and shot framing of The Martian. My biggest gripe was what another poster mentioned, in that the movie just felt so safe. Even though there were conflicts and challenges, I never got a sense that there was much really at stake. It wasn't even foreshadowing, it was more just obvious telegraphing to the viewer that there is going to be a problem, but everything is going to work out. The film was constantly yelling "hey it would be terrible if this one thing happened, wouldn't it? Oh no it happened! Oh phew it's been saved".

I wish there was more emphasis on the loneliness and desperation of the whole situation similar to Moon. Besides the one scene where Matt is crying over the last of his harvest he is always making light of the situation which also reduces the tension of all of the conflicts. I get that's his way of coping, but it would have been nice to get a deeper peek into the struggle behind the mask.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I'm not a botanist (I eventually wanna grow plants, but I don't have the time right now), so I have question about something I don't understand. Maybe the book described it better.

I get using poop as fertilizer, but on earth that just improves the quality of the soil the plants are growing in, they are still using the nutrients already found in the soil. Using martian soil would be a net-zero (actually, I've heard the soil is toxically salty but I'll ignore that for now). Is Watney growing his pootatoes (:v:) purely from his feces? Or is the Mars soil barely good enough to grow in, but the feces pushes it over the edge to Actually Okay To Grow Stuff On?

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine
This is going to make so much money in China holy gently caress.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

MisterBibs posted:

I'm not a botanist (I eventually wanna grow plants, but I don't have the time right now), so I have question about something I don't understand. Maybe the book described it better.

I get using poop as fertilizer, but on earth that just improves the quality of the soil the plants are growing in, they are still using the nutrients already found in the soil. Using martian soil would be a net-zero (actually, I've heard the soil is toxically salty but I'll ignore that for now). Is Watney growing his pootatoes (:v:) purely from his feces? Or is the Mars soil barely good enough to grow in, but the feces pushes it over the edge to Actually Okay To Grow Stuff On?
Another detail that was in the book but glossed over in the film. I think he had some live soil samples brought from earth for experiments, which he used to seed the Martian soil and along with the poo, produce enough live soil to grow his taters.

Woden
May 6, 2006

Psawhn posted:

I rationalize that in my head as imagining he left his USB with his own music/TV on Hermes. Because they were only going to be on Mars for only a month and they'd be busy with surface ops he could go without it, and he didn't want to risk leaving it on the surface and going the whole 6 month-long voyage back missing it all.

Would have been cool if the Hermes crew were also going through his poo poo for a while until they found out he was alive and giving him poo poo about what he brought later with those text messages.

MisterBibs posted:

Poop adds more than just the three base elements for plant growth, it'll also bring hopefully beneficial microbes for plant growth.

Check out the veg experiments that've already been done on ISS, certain plants really do need certain microbes to help them grow fast similarly to how humans need certain bacteria to be healthy, remove E. coli from the human gut and we'd probably die just like certain plants would without nitrogen fixers at the root level.

NASA right now is doing plant growth and toxicity tests on the ISS, one of the philosophies behind how they do it kinda blew my mind and it's because it's all about bringing the entire ecosystem up with them and only really caring about weight/efficiency. So grow plants in some light weight/low surface area medium/nutrient rich material like a calcinated clay, test for how bad the poisons are and then eat that poo poo. Veg-03 just happened where astronauts on the ISS ate lettuce(I think?) that was grown on the ISS and had a lot of unknown variables attached but was built on knowns, yay for holistic science.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Woden posted:

Would have been cool if the Hermes crew were also going through his poo poo for a while until they found out he was alive and giving him poo poo about what he brought later with those text messages.

Nah. They'd respect a dead mans belongings. He on the other hand had a vested interest in finding anything he could use to survive.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Demiurge4 posted:

Nah. They'd respect a dead mans belongings. He on the other hand had a vested interest in finding anything he could use to survive.

Also in not going totally nuts.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Powered Descent posted:

All the potatoes died when the hab breached and they were exposed to subarctic cold and near-vacuum for a day or so. Any potatoes he had would still be edible, but they sure wouldn't sprout anymore after that. (Also, the bacteria in the soil died too, but the movie doesn't call that out.)

Could he just poop more? Or mix his poop with the old fertilizer in a barrel or something?

I'd love to learn more about farming on Mars.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

Could he just poop more? Or mix his poop with the old fertilizer in a barrel or something?

I'd love to learn more about farming on Mars.

The 'good' soil came from deliberately spreading the microbial life and bacteria and whatnot in the soil samples he brought from Earth to the Martian soil, fertilized by poop. When the airlock was breached it killed everything in the soil. He has more poop, but he's got no more Earth soil samples. Besides, all the potatoes died as well.

If he had planned for the worse and sealed some of the soil and plantable potatoes in an airtight container or something he could have started from scratch, but he didn't.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

Tehan posted:

The 'good' soil came from deliberately spreading the microbial life and bacteria and whatnot in the soil samples he brought from Earth to the Martian soil, fertilized by poop. When the airlock was breached it killed everything in the soil. He has more poop, but he's got no more Earth soil samples. Besides, all the potatoes died as well.

If he had planned for the worse and sealed some of the soil and plantable potatoes in an airtight container or something he could have started from scratch, but he didn't.

He was trying to maximize his yield and even under ideal circumstances would have exhausted the nutrients in the soil. All the potatoes were either being eaten or grown.

The book mentioned some bacteria did survive by some fluke. But the taters didn't. Book also mentions keeping the food potatoes outside was an excellent way to preserve them because they're not gonna rot when sitting at -40°C in a near vacuum. Easy way to freeze dry stuff!

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Tehan posted:

Even in an airtight container, wouldn't all the bacteria have died from the cold overnight?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

Nail Rat posted:

Even in an airtight container, wouldn't all the bacteria have died from the cold overnight?

Possibly, but keep in mind with such thin atmosphere the temperature wouldn't drop that fast.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Nail Rat posted:

He could've easily moved them to the safe part before anything happened. Redundancy is an important aspect of anything in space and he hosed up. All eggs in one basket and all that.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Oct 8, 2015

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
iOS game with the joke skills of Watney himself:

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
So, Naomi Scott has been cast as the Pink Power Ranger in the upcoming film, and some of the blurbs about her say that she stars in The Martian. According to Wikipedia, she plays the character Ryoko in the movie.

Does anyone know who the hell Ryoko is in The Martian? The only guess I have is that she's Martinez's wife, but :iiam:

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Good movie overall but the suspenseful untethered EVA across the Hermes by whoever the gently caress was stupid as poo poo and made me roll my eyes super far

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Also how did they land the MAV for Ares 1?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Stereotype posted:

Also how did they land the MAV for Ares 1?

Automatically?

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

MikeJF posted:

Automatically?

So why make a point about how they had to land the ones for the subsequent missions when the crew for the previous mission arrives in martian orbit?

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

Stereotype posted:

So why make a point about how they had to land the ones for the subsequent missions when the crew for the previous mission arrives in martian orbit?

When did they make that point? You might be confusing something. Here's how the missions normally go: The MAV (Mars Ascent Vehicle) is sent first because once it gets to Mars it starts producing fuel but the process takes a long time. The rest of the supplies are sent and when NASA confirms everything arrived in one piece then Hermes leaves for Mars. When it arrives the crew goes down to the planet in the MDV (Mars Descent Vehicle), do their thing, go back to the Hermes in the now refueled MAV and go back to Earth.

Does that clear it up for you?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

MisterBibs posted:

In the real world, Weir said at the time of writing the book he just didn't realise how poisonous much of the Martian soil is. There are ways that could get around that by rinsing it maybe, but since nothing is seen in the movie I think we just have to assume the soil is lighter in percholates and other terrible things at the Ares 3 landing site.

Hell, maybe they specifically chose that site due to it being less salty and that's why they had a botanist along. Here's the relevant part from the book:

quote:

In other news, I’m starting to come up with an idea for food. My botany background may come in useful after all.
Why bring a botanist to Mars? After all, it’s famous for not having anything growing here. Well, the idea was to figure out how well things grow in Martian gravity, and see what, if anything, we can do with Martian soil. The short answer is: quite a lot... almost. Martian soil has the basic building blocks needed for plant growth, but there’s a lot of stuff going on in Earth soil that Mars soil doesn’t have, even when it’s placed in an Earth-atmosphere and given plenty of water. Bacterial activity, certain nutrients provided by animal life, etc. None of that is happening on Mars. One of my tasks for the mission was to see how plants grow here, in various combinations of Earth or Mars soil and atmosphere.
That’s why I have a small amount of Earth soil and a bunch of plant seeds with me.
I can’t get too excited, however. It’s about the amount of soil you’d put in a window planter-box, and the only seeds I have are a few species of grass and ferns. They’re the most rugged and easily grown plants on earth, so NASA picked them as the test subjects.
So I have two problems: not enough dirt, and nothing edible to plant in it.
But I’m a botanist, drat it. I should be able to find a way to make this happen. If I don’t, I’ll be a really hungry botanist

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Senjuro posted:

When did they make that point? You might be confusing something. Here's how the missions normally go: The MAV (Mars Ascent Vehicle) is sent first because once it gets to Mars it starts producing fuel but the process takes a long time. The rest of the supplies are sent and when NASA confirms everything arrived in one piece then Hermes leaves for Mars. When it arrives the crew goes down to the planet in the MDV (Mars Descent Vehicle), do their thing, go back to the Hermes in the now refueled MAV and go back to Earth.

Does that clear it up for you?

The book does specify that Martinez remote landed the Ares 4 MAV.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Senor Tron posted:

I imagine that it's more reliable than an automated landing if you happen to have a pilot in orbit. So the first one was thrown there by a rocket and then later missions the Hermes drops off the next mission's MAV.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

Senor Tron posted:

I had to recheck but you're right, I totally forgot about that line. MikeJF's solution makes sense I guess.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Or maybe they had an Apollo 10 style dry run mission.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Senor Tron posted:

In the real world, Weir said at the time of writing the book he just didn't realise how poisonous much of the Martian soil is. There are ways that could get around that by rinsing it maybe, but since nothing is seen in the movie I think we just have to assume the soil is lighter in percholates and other terrible things at the Ares 3 landing site.

Hell, maybe they specifically chose that site due to it being less salty and that's why they had a botanist along. Here's the relevant part from the book:

Yeah, and that's sorta counterbalanced by all the trouble he had getting water, when really he'd just have to dig down a bit and grab some ice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Tunicate posted:

Yeah, and that's sorta counterbalanced by all the trouble he had getting water, when really he'd just have to dig down a bit and grab some ice.

Even that trouble was more than necessary, as hydrazine will burn directly in oxygen, so there was no need for his catalytic decomposition apparatus. I guess the point was getting laughs for him blowing himself up, but even that could have been done another way.

It also seems like hefting along enough drinking water for 6 people for 30 days would have been unnecessary - having a water generator on the surface making it for them in advance would have been much smarter. Hence, he should have had almost unlimited water already available, unless the book goes into some reason why that wasn't done - I haven't read it.

• Locked thread